The Big Picture: Skin Deeper

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
Skin Deeper

MovieBob gives us the facts when it comes to the racial implications of Cloud Atlas.

Watch Video
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
2,419
0
0
I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Mandarin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10006-Lets-Watch-The-Iron-Man-3-Trailer.2] when you were talking about "yellowface" racial acting. Hell, just us responding to that article had an interesting conversation on how to adapt the character to the modern hair-trigger racial response...
 

theSteamSupported

New member
Mar 4, 2012
245
0
0
I'm getting what you're trying to say, but one has to ask the question: why was the context ignored in the first place?
 

Bara_no_Hime

New member
Sep 15, 2010
3,646
0
0
...?

Apparently I've missed all this coal-raking. I've heard nothing but good things about the film, and went to see it on those good things, and loved it.

Who's saying bad things about the film? I want to go tell those people why they're wrong.
 

Moth_Monk

New member
Feb 26, 2012
819
0
0
theSteamSupported said:
I'm getting what you're trying to say, but one has to ask the question: why was the context ignored in the first place?
It was ignored by stupid people. ;) There's your reason.
 

unacomn

New member
Mar 3, 2008
974
0
0
Ah, context, the thing that almost everyone ignores when starting an argument over something. Reminds me of the time when that thing happened with that guy that said something and then the other guy said half of what the guy said and it meant something totally different that really riled up a lot of other guys and they got the guy that said the thing to try to explain what he said but every time he tried the other guy and the guys kept saying he said the other thing and he was just trying to cover up even though they know he said the other thing as well but they don't care since that only one thing makes the guy look bad and the other guy look good and they like the other guy more.

So, basically everything ever.
 

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
So Bob since the past is unchangeable and that historical stigma and blackface will always be around in the past, isn't those double standard justifications going to be eternal?

Seriously how would we know when we can drop the double standard altogether? I really want to know.

The answer's probably going to be more non-white roles but roughly how many do we need?
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Funny you should choose this particular topic 'cause I was just thinking about how ridiculous all these race issues have gotten. It seems to be that creative people need to walk on eggshells and broken glass for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist, or whatever. Heaven forbid these groups have to endure the same criticism and cultural commentary that everyone else does. And by "everyone" I mean the white heterosexual anglosaxon male because it seems that anyone who doesn't fit that description is some sort of minority and therefore immune to criticism and/or cultural commentary . ¬___¬
And since I, myself, am a white heterosexual male, I'm sure someone's going to accuse me of being racist or sexist or whatever just for pointing that out.
 

GamemasterAnthony

New member
Dec 5, 2010
1,009
0
0
I've had the same problem as a fanfictionist...where people have made basal accusations about my stories because they ignored the context. I've actually had one person accuse me of being a pedo in regards to Amy Rose when my character acted as a father figure and/or big brother to her.

CONTEXT, people!
 

Milanezi

New member
Mar 2, 2009
619
0
0
The Gentleman said:
I'm surprised you didn't bring up the Mandarin [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10006-Lets-Watch-The-Iron-Man-3-Trailer.2] when you were talking about "yellowface" racial acting. Hell, just us responding to that article had an interesting conversation on how to adapt the character to the modern hair-trigger racial response...
Forget the Mandarin dude! We have NICOLAS CAGE playing a "wise" Chinese man in what's supposed to be the biggest movies ever, imagine how that will get people pissed? Ok the movie is called Werewolf Women of the SS (by Rob Zombie) hahaha, Nicolas Cage as that wise china dude looks so damn fun!!!
 

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
theSteamSupported said:
I'm getting what you're trying to say, but one has to ask the question: why was the context ignored in the first place?
Because it is a trend lately to look for any lil reason to be offended.

Bara_no_Hime said:
...?

Apparently I've missed all this coal-raking. I've heard nothing but good things about the film, and went to see it on those good things, and loved it.

Who's saying bad things about the film? I want to go tell those people why they're wrong.
Ditto, this is the first I have heard of bad things from the film.
 

Guffe

New member
Jul 12, 2009
5,106
0
0
One of the "race of cast choice" I got really annoyed about was the whining about the guy who played Goku in the DBZ movie. Yes the movie was pretty much shit from start to end, except for Piccolo make up, but why people whined about Goku being played by an American dude I had no idea.
Listen up people, DBZ is set in the future, there are only a few major cities so the races would be very mixed by this time and BY THE WAY Goku was an ALIEN to begin with, so who knows how much he resembled what race mixture, just because the author of DBZ was a Japanese dude it doesn't mean the whole DBZ world was inhabited by only Asian people.
This got so much on my nerves...
 

Conner42

New member
Jul 29, 2009
262
0
0
I think the people who are complaining are the people who haven't seen the movie in the first place.

I may be wrong, maybe (most of) them have seen the movie, feel free to point me out on being wrong, but it does make sense though.

I'm kind of basing it on this one angry individual who posted a couple of links to a couple of other angry guys, and none of them have even seen the movie. I mean, the criticisms I saw would have been answered if they did know the context.

So, I guess that's why people miss the context in the first place.
 

Safaia

New member
Sep 24, 2010
455
0
0
To be fair I haven't seen anyone talking about this incidence in particular since the movie came out and people started to 'get' why they were all playing different races/genders.
 

gardian06

New member
Jun 18, 2012
403
0
0
unacomn said:
Ah, context, the thing that almost everyone ignores when starting an argument over something. Reminds me of the time when that thing happened with that guy that said something and then the other guy said half of what the guy said and it meant something totally different that really riled up a lot of other guys and they got the guy that said the thing to try to explain what he said but every time he tried the other guy and the guys kept saying he said the other thing and he was just trying to cover up even though they know he said the other thing as well but they don't care since that only one thing makes the guy look bad and the other guy look good and they like the other guy more.

So, basically everything ever.
that is the most confusing analogy I have ever read. which guy is which in the which thing was the thing, and the guy that the thing that makes it true, and false...

now I need to try and contemplate which part of that I actually have issue, or agreeance with.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,159
1
3
Country
UK
I do wonder if people ever link these video in those said argument? I mean this isn't the first time when he got it right in an arguement (e.g. that video on the whole The Dark Knight Rises attacked).
 

WanderingFool

New member
Apr 9, 2009
3,991
0
0
theSteamSupported said:
I'm getting what you're trying to say, but one has to ask the question: why was the context ignored in the first place?
Cause its not as fun keeping something in context, as it is bitching about it out of context.
 

Milanezi

New member
Mar 2, 2009
619
0
0
canadamus_prime said:
Funny you should choose this particular topic 'cause I was just thinking about how ridiculous all these race issues have gotten. It seems to be that creative people need to walk on eggshells and broken glass for fear of being accused of being racist, sexist, or whatever. Heaven forbid these groups have to endure the same criticism and cultural commentary that everyone else does. And by "everyone" I mean the white heterosexual anglosaxon male because it seems that anyone who doesn't fit that description is some sort of minority and therefore immune to criticism and/or cultural commentary . ¬___¬
And since I, myself, am a white heterosexual male, I'm sure someone's going to accuse me of being racist or sexist or whatever just for pointing that out.
That. THAT. THAT AGAIN. I fear saying my mind sometimes, simply because it could be considered racism (in Brazil you don't have to take a racist ACT to commit the crime, simply stating a racist comment would be enough). But it's funny how, when YOU accuse certain groups of something, or simply state a belief, no matter how stupid and unfounded, then they say it's merely their religion, and we're all human and then you get sued and maybe even arrested. But when it comes to THEIR opinion, they DO see themselves as a better RACE, and whenever some shit falls on them they attack with past traumas, past traumas that were horrible and are now the very basis of their international (shotgun)politics with the rest of the WORLD.