The Big Picture: Stars, Worn

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
TechTim said:
Han dies as a "shock moment", maybe. I feel more likely Luke dies protecting Han, Leah, and sidekicks.
My money would be on Luke as well. That way every trilogy would have a Jedi mentor character die in the first film. Qui-Gon > Obi-Wan > Luke. Plus, if needed, you can always get him back to cameo as a ghost.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I just really hope we will see some kind of character-growth for these familiar characters.

I don't really care as much how big their roles are, but they should be more mature, maybe they have had to make compromises on their ethics when rebuilding and dealing with the post-empire situation, or have had to become leaders in peacetime, or parents, or something.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I felt like the biggest problems with the original trilogy were: 1) Give the fans what you think they want and 2) Telling a story we already know the ending to.

I don't care what Anikin did before he became Vader. Focusing on Obi-Won might've worked but nope.

So: The new trilogy? Disaster if they focus on the same characters. Awesome if they give them the cameo-sendoffs deserved. We're already emotionally invested in those characters, so you don't have to spend a movie rebuilding them and reconnecting the audience to them.

The movie should be spent connecting us to the new characters. Spin THAT lead into gold.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Seracen said:
Giving the fans what they want = Dragon Age Origins

Giving the fans what they think they want = Dragon Age 2

Now, I enjoyed both, the 2nd less so. There's no denying the quality and prowess of a production with clear vision and ambition, rather than pandering to a checklist.
I think most of Dragon Age 2's problems were because of the short development time.

Which might also be an issue here...

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
So of course I am cynical as well, and for me it is primarily going to be interesting to see just how not bad they can make the films. Since the prequel trilogy taught (jaded?) me quickly that the original magic of viewing the original movies just can't be captured. This of course is has become obvious over the years since it is based on things like age of viewing, when the movie was made, and of course being based on original ideas. Now I won't simply dismiss them; there is a chance we can be surprised and an expertly crafted film perhaps bringing wonderment to a new generation of moviegoers will emerge. But the evidence so far is not in favor of that occurring. So I will be content seeing an average movie trying to ape the appeal of something that the moviemakers don't seem to understand is far, far away. Or in a DVD collection.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
Harrison Ford: the best and most intense action star of all time. We're talking Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Fugitive, Air Force One, etc. Spent the last dozen years discussing his hatred for Star Wars, phoning in his performances, and being generally unpleasant.

Mark Hammil: Known for Luke and the Joker, and only those two things. Repeatedly dragged back to reprise those roles much to his own exhaustion.

Carrie Fisher: it would feel like bullying to go into detail. Let's just say very very tired, not a lot of lingering love for Star Wars, or lingering memory of anything.

The point is that obviously the three main leads aren't really going to enjoy being dragged back in, so why do it at all?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
unacomn said:
If Kyle Katarn isn't in this movie, it will fail! Give us the bearded wonder!
Seriously, if Disney wants so bad to be in our good graces with this movie, they'd put in the Chuck Norris of the Star Wars universe for at least a cameo bit.

OT: Bob, what you just concocted in that buzzing little brain of yours may be the most profitable move Disney could ever make with this franchise. Mace Windu getting blast to modern day earth where he has to help save an orphanage from closing down with lemonade?? This would be Transformers level of so fucking detrimentally bad is simply has to be seen to be believed. The most common denominator of audiences would go see it for no other reason than because it's Star Wars. The fans of Star Wars would see it because we're just obligated to do so no matter what. And the ironic internet crowd would drool at the mouth for a chance to see Star Wars crash and burn so hard it made the prequels look like the it came with singing angels and the tears of fucking God.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
TechTim said:
Han dies as a "shock moment", maybe. I feel more likely Luke dies protecting Han, Leah, and sidekicks.
That would make the most sense to eliminate the total bad-ass so that the remaining protagonists actually have something difficult to accomplish for the rest of the movies without having an instant-win character. But devising a reasonable scenario where Luke could be killed would be practically impossible without pissing off most fans.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It will be the highest grossing movie of all time so they can relax. It's really weird that they're making all these stupid decisions to cater to a bunch of sweaty basement dwellers from the 80s. Everybody will go see it because they either expect it to rock, or they expect it to suck but they don't want to miss out on all the live nerd rage. I already know I'll go see it on opening night with that mindset.

Desworks said:
TechTim said:
My money would be on Luke as well. That way every trilogy would have a Jedi mentor character die in the first film. Qui-Gon > Obi-Wan > Luke. Plus, if needed, you can always get him back to cameo as a ghost.
My money is on Luke as well.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
It's... Such an oddity. It really is a cultural Immovable Object. It's a Star Wars film, managed by Disney. It's about as safe as the sun rising in the morning. It's a shame they're unlikely to use the luxurious margins they've got to do something more risky. But then again, they're facing the Unstoppable Force. It's difficult to really blame them.

Come to think of it... The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the only Indiana Jones film I have any meaningful memory of, oddly. I saw it the first time I was abroad on my own. It's the one I like best, based on the circumstances in which I saw it.

I think I'm well outside the target group of these particular films...

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I grew up watching the first three films at my dads house but i'm a little younger than most Star Wars fans, which may be part of the reason I don't mind the other three films... except Hayden Christensen of course, his acting was bloody cringy.

Honestly though, I don't get why Star Wars is so popular, I enjoy Tartakovskys series but even that wasn't enough to get me all that interested.

Heres hoping the films will be enjoyable at least. I love me some old school animation so the prospect of using models, analogue, etc (although posibly just a gimmick) does sound fun.

Dec 16, 2009
MovieBob said:
Stars, Worn

MovieBob addresses some of the rumors around the new upcoming Stars Wars trilogy.

Watch Video
what was that about Peter Parker at 4:10?
no, noooo, I love superior Spider-man, it pisses all over the potential of killing Parker in the ultimates universe n just replacing him with a black peter parker

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I really hope that the "old gang" will take a backseat role. The thought of a geriatric Luke Skywalker twirling and flipping all over the place using prequel-era fight choreography smacks of sacrilege (though it would be hilarious). Besides, they have an entire populated galaxy to work with, so why limit themselves to the same familiar faces and names? This is a chance for a clean slate, an opportunity to take the narrative in fresh new directions.

unacomn said:
If Kyle Katarn isn't in this movie, it will fail! Give us the bearded wonder!
This guy knows what he's talking about. Kyle Katarn is best pony Jedi. Definitely has tons more street cred than that Starkiller pansy.

Mcoffey said:
I can see it now:

*Rumors circulating that the bad guy is palpatine*

JJ Abrams: "Guys, no, it's not Palpatine."

*Rumors continue to circulate, looking more and more likely that it's Palpatine.

JJ: "Guys! It's not Palpatine!"

*Movie eventually comes out*

*Character that shares no physical or personality traits with Palpatine*: I... am... PALPATINE!

JJ: "BOOM! Fucking fooled you! Mystery Box, BITCHES! I'm a goddamned genius!"

Is it too late to not do this yet? Fuck you, JJ Abrams...
Actually, the Expanded Universe already beat you to it. And yes, it's just as shitty as you might expect:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Empire

This is why I'm not sad about post-RotJ EU stories being relegated to non-canon or alternate universe/timeline status. Yes, some good material will fall by the wayside, but so will a ton of utter tripe as well.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
All I want from the new Star Wars trilogy: Boba Fett, The Movie.

In all seriousness, I was just hoping they'd take the Admiral Thrawn books (far and away the best of the expanded universe) and adapt those, but I doubt it. I don't really like Abrams as a directorial choice either, I just don't feel like he can go heroical enough for Star Wars.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Firstly, solid points MovieBob. Can't argue with much of what you said here.

I do however think it's a matter of two big things: What is the story for Episode VII? And, are the 'new' characters going to be introduced like Mutt in Indiana Jones and Crystal Skull (completely pointless sidekick), or are they going be real meaningful parts of what is going on with the original trilogy's characters?

I think having the original cast come back to just do a 5-10 minute cameo in the film before moving on to the 'real story' could have more easily backfired than trying to do a full-fledged passing of the torch story, as is rumored. But you do risk people walking in to Episode VIII and saying "This is fun, but where's Leia/Luke/Han?" instead of focusing on these new characters.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Michael Brockbanks said:
Besides, there's always the risk that just throwing the newbies at us will fall flat and leave us all wishing we had more time with the old-school.
To borrow from the WWE analogy Bob's already made, this is akin to the logic WWE uses. They're so convinced they can't get people to like the new guys because the last batch didn't go over well. So they overshadow the new guys with "legends" (some of more legendary status than others) in the hopes that suddenly people will care.

If they can't write engaging characters, having the original trinity come back only delays the problem. Unless they're going to keep giving us more time with them, then the issue is still going to be an issue.

Evonisia said:
Though if Han dies it will be absolutely hilarious. I wasn't a big fan of him in the original trilogy but I can easily imagine the fanboys to burst into tears over it and denounce the film for existing over internet forums.
I expect massive fan outrage even if these movies are masterpieces.

Mcoffey said:
I can see it now:

*Rumors circulating that the bad guy is palpatine*

JJ Abrams: "Guys, no, it's not Palpatine."

*Rumors continue to circulate, looking more and more likely that it's Palpatine.

JJ: "Guys! It's not Palpatine!"

*Movie eventually comes out*

*Character that shares no physical or personality traits with Palpatine*: I... am... PALPATINE!

JJ: "BOOM! Fucking fooled you! Mystery Box, BITCHES! I'm a goddamned genius!"

Is it too late to not do this yet? Fuck you, JJ Abrams...
People actually laughed at the "reveal" in Into Darkness at the theater a friend of mine went to.

I could totally see it happening again. Abrams pats himself on the back while viewers laugh.

Lieju said:
I just really hope we will see some kind of character-growth for these familiar characters.

I don't really care as much how big their roles are, but they should be more mature, maybe they have had to make compromises on their ethics when rebuilding and dealing with the post-empire situation, or have had to become leaders in peacetime, or parents, or something.
It would be a shame after the end of Jedi to see them stagnate.

subtlefuge said:
The point is that obviously the three main leads aren't really going to enjoy being dragged back in, so why do it at all?
Money. Money money money.

TBH, I doubt Disney, Abrams, or anyone else involved cares if they enjoy it. They're sure Ford/Fisher/Hamill will put asses in the seats even if they do phone it in. And they're probably right.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I still think that since Disney owns the IP now, along with Marvel... they should totally get Patton Oswald on board to help write it:

Possible Avengers/Parks and Rec spoilers?

Sounds like the best idea I've heard.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Making the movie about the kids was the right choice. The first (chronologically) trilogy was about one 'hero,' the second trilogy was about that hero's kids, so the third trilogy should be about their kids. I am slowly losing hope for these new movies now, or at least the first one. I have read nearly every book that came after Return of the Jedi, so I was already a bit sad when Disney said, "Yeah, none of that happened," but I was willing to give it a chance. Now though, I am starting to dread these films.
And don't you dare kill off any of the original cast. I cried enough when Chewie died in the books! And Anakin!

On a side note, I would totally see that Mace Windu movie because it sounds hilarious.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
Mr Ink 5000 said:
MovieBob said:
Stars, Worn

MovieBob addresses some of the rumors around the new upcoming Stars Wars trilogy.

Watch Video
what was that about Peter Parker at 4:10?
no, noooo, I love superior Spider-man, it pisses all over the potential of killing Parker in the ultimates universe n just replacing him with a black peter parker
Is it bad this was the main thing I took away from this as well?

FFS, while it's obvious they were going to bring him back, couldn't they have waited more than a year? Actually give this arc some meaning and time to develop naturally? Superhero deaths are already dime-a-dozen by this point, keeping Peter dead the extra 12 months or so would hopefully give it a bit of impact, but no, back to life for Peter.

It's not as if Superior isn't selling well either, but I guess they need to status quo back for when the movie comes out...