The Big Picture: Stay Classy, San Diego

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Stay Classy, San Diego

MovieBob looks back at San Diego Comic-Con 2014.

Watch Video

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm, oddly enough from the title of this I thought it would be about sexual harassment at Comicon since I've been hearing about about that lately.

contla

Jan 17, 2012
I've never seen one of these people Bob was talking about. They're like Dodo's to me. I know they existed but I've never seen one.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Bob your not a film critic your a youtube personality that a small website started to employ at best, GET OVER IT.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Worgen said:
Hmm, oddly enough from the title of this I thought it would be about sexual harassment at Comicon since I've been hearing about about that lately.
And I thought this would at least contain a reference to the C&D sent to an unrelated press event (whose name escapes me) over the use of "Comic-Con".

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Nice video, Bob. You're right, the San Diego Comic-Con was surprisingly uneventful... Well, except for that panel for The Big Bang Theory, where someone asked why there were so many merciless jabs at Aquaman in that show, only for Craig Ferguson, the moderator of the panel, to shout her down by saying Aquaman isn't a superhero, he sucks, blah blah blah, and when the laughter and applause died down, the person in question revealed herself to be the granddaughter of the creator of Aquaman. Awkwardness ensued.

youji itami said:
Bob your not a film critic your a youtube personality that a small website started to employ at best, GET OVER IT.
Actually, he IS a critic; he's getting paid to criticize movies, and whatever stupid reasons you find to disagree with him or belittle his opinion, that's not going to change. So YOU GET OVER IT!

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Meh. I've never much cared about the opinions of film critics. Oh, and Bob, the phrase is "I couldn't care less." To say you could care less means that you DO care.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
So Comic Con is dying off like E3 or was it just a dull Comic Con this year?

Still I guess it can't be helped.

I suppose everything that might've been big news at Comic Con was already revealed.

Uriel_Hayabusa

Apr 7, 2014
contla said:
I've never seen one of these people Bob was talking about. They're like Dodo's to me. I know they existed but I've never seen one.
You have to remember that Bob is extremely biased in this particular instance. He adores the MCU and upholds it as a force of good in both cinema and the world, so it's only natural that he views people who criticize the MCU as "snobby film elitists" or "(wannabe) old-guards", because they rail against this popular thing that he adores.

What's funny is that Bob himself is incredibly (and similarly) dismissive of the Call of Duty franchise. A popular thing that also became a cultural phenonomenon.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
contla said:
A perfect example would be Jeff Wells, of Hollywood Elsewhere fame.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
That is why I love video games, not as much as I did in the past, but I still love them. Artsy can meet with popular like in Last of Us, Bioshock, CoD 4 and many others.

Yes. CoD 4 just replay it as a single title and see how many interesting points this game can make. The franchsing of modern warfare was terrible.

contla

Jan 17, 2012
Sylocat said:
contla said:
A perfect example would be Jeff Wells, of Hollywood Elsewhere fame.
I went to his twitter and Bob was the only person who I follow who follows him . And I follow about 500 people so I guess it's really Isolated to Bob's "niche"(?) but that's the most of the internet anyway.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
MB202 said:
Actually, he IS a critic; he's getting paid to criticize movies, and whatever stupid reasons you find to disagree with him or belittle his opinion, that's not going to change. So YOU GET OVER IT!
He makes capsule reviews, which is criticism-lite. That's not a put-down, by any means, I happen to think he does quite well given the limitations of his format.

That said, seems Bob is just as eager to put down the "middle of the road" stuff that the aging out of touch critics enjoy, as they are to put down super-hero stuff.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Personally, I'm with Mark Twain on the subject of popularity: "Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident." I've seen some really good stuff that got popular and some real shit that didn't get popular, just as I've seen stuff that was really good that didn't get popular and stuff that was shit that got popular. Popularity is an accident of circumstance, determined by whatever manages to perfectly strike the arbitrary and changing whims of the masses. It's not a determiner of quality, good or bad, it's just a phenomenon that happens. To consider yourself superior because you don't like what's popular is just ego stroking and it can cut you off from some real quality stuff.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
I want to know more about how Miller's Batman and the Death of Superman are creaky relics of eras and trends that nearly destroyed their medium!

contla

Jan 17, 2012
Triaed said:
I want to know more about how Miller's Batman and the Death of Superman are creaky relics of eras and trends that nearly destroyed their medium!
He explaied it a bit already here
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/7047-Comics-in-The-90s-What-Happened

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I found Bob's segment interesting but only on a "haven't we heard this before?" kind of way. Also of interest was the whole total disconnect between the imagery and the discussion. It must be tough having a news cycle be such a colossal let-down. I feel your pain Bob. (It's almost as though we are all holding our breath until the release of Guardians of the Galaxy. Bob, can you release your GotG trailer on Thursday please?)

templar1138a said:
Meh. I've never much cared about the opinions of film critics. Oh, and Bob, the phrase is "I couldn't care less." To say you could care less means that you DO care.
Yeah "I could care less" means there is some caring going on. However "Like I could care less" actually means the same thing as saying "I couldn't care less" because of the inferred "but I couldn't". So while Bob said "I could care less", "like I could care less" has actual meaning.

mattawbrown

Oct 3, 2012
So this Friday I can expect a spoiler ridden review just glowing in the praise of Guardians of the Galaxy? Why wait? it seems that Bob has already made up his mind on the thing. I've really gotten tired of Bob forming opinions on movies months before they come out, by already holding an opinion towards something it's going to colour your viewing of the work. Other critics of other forms of entertainment have often said that they try to avoid promotional material for their preferred entertainment media, however, because of The Big Picture that's not an option for Bob. I feel that his two shows are actively working against each other, which is unfortunate because I'm a big fan of the Big Picture and I enjoy Escape to the Movies when Bob is reviewing a movie that he hasn't already decided whether or not he likes it.