The Big Picture: The Boot, Part One

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Boot, Part One

MovieBob gives us the first five out of ten movies, or series, that deserve a reboot.

Watch Video

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I thought MIB 2 & 3 were really good. Also if you focus on a organization were everyone is called by one letter rather than specific characters you loose a point of focus, as most of MIB is very uptight. J is the only one who is in anyway down to earth. Without him it would feel weird.

Jan 12, 2012
I'm not sure Dinosaurs is really reboot-ready as a live-action sitcom; there's an inherent sillyness to dinosaurs in turtlenecks that I'm not sure would fly on cable, and good luck getting another sitcom show with weird protagonists to stand out on the internet.

Plus, I don't think I could stand to see this again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTUA_wdp78

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears. Also would the Men in Black really need a reboot or just a decent TV series?

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So I wasn't the only one that watched MIB and expected more depth into the organization than MIB1 being done over and over again? I mean, there is only so many times you can do the "rookie cop" plot in sequels. Aka, only do it during the first movie. -_-

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
In the Game of Bears, you bounce or you die :p
Can't wait to see what you come-up with next week.
canadamus_prime said:
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears. Also would the Men in Black really need a reboot or just a decent TV series?
I'm thinking an MIB live action Tv series would most likely workout something like Once Upon a Time. I 'd really like like to see repeat alien characters that aren't played by Tony Shalhoub.

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Calling it right now:
Because MovieBob mentioned Friendship Is Magic ONCE, and only once, this thread will become the site of yet another debate between bronies and their haters. Call me a cynic.
(And my opinion is that both sides have valid points, but they express them with such blind overzealousness that the ability to take them seriously is lost. See above.)

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
If ReBoot turns out to be one of those next reboots, I'm going to fall off my chair laughing. Not because it would be a bad idea, but because it just sounds funny.
I really wish someone would go in the direction you specified with MIB. At times, the cartoon would sort of expand to other agents, but it was mostly just L and that other guy as the B team to J and K's A team, though L and whatever his initial was were a tad more competent put together.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
How about ReBoot? It had some amazing ideas behind it, it was just a pity that it was made in the very beginning of a fully CGI cartoon. It would definitely be easy enough to update the concept.

EDIT
I think that's the first time I have ever been ninja'd. It feels... kinda nice.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Howard the Duck: no
Terminator: maybe
Gummi Bears: yes
Dinosaurs: can't see that working
MiB: maybe

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
After you mentioned Darkwing Duck, I was surprised to see Gummi Bears on your list. While Gummi Bears could do with a touch up and DVD/Blu/Netflix release (along with other Disney Saturday morning stuff), I don't think it needs rebooting.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I do feel obligated to post this:
Anyways, I would love to see Dinosaurs make a return, the writing was excellent, both in the comedic and topical aspects. Great jokes and great social commentary.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears.
I Do. Loved that series. That and Darkwing Duck, and Duck Tails, and Tailspin... God... children cartoons these days suck in comparison...

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I do sort of agree with Howard the Duck. I most recently saw him in the Fearsome Four series of Fear Itself and he was still a pretty fun character, a biter grizzled hero who was...well...a duck. And I do really think something cool could be done with that.

I rewatched Dinosaurs on Netflix recently, and it wasn't nearly as funny as I remember. Not that it was bad, just I dunno how it would fly with a reboot. I feel there's a 50/50 chance on good vs. bad here.

Gummi Bears and Men in Black...I have no comment on either of those.

And as for Terminator...honestly, I think that series has been so run into the ground with T3, the show and the other movie that I don't even think Arnold could save it at this point.

Can't wait for the next 5, really excited.

...also, that was the first shot I'd ever actually seen for the S.H.I.E.L.D. show, and I'm REALLY excited for that one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
UK
Let see-

10- Very unlikely especially when Marvel own Howard the Duck. I mean why would they bring it back while they got the rest of the Avengers superheroes film to produce? In saying so I can easily seeing it as a short series or an animated one.

9- I'm indifferent toward a Terminator reboot. Sure I love the first two films (I haven't seen salvation or the Sarah Conner chronical) but I know a reboot will be vastly different if they choose the setting as the present day (why look up her name on the phonebook when you can try online especially when you're a killing robot in human fleash).

8- YES!!! (I guesing I am mainly seeing this out of nostalgia.)

7- YES AGAIN!!! (Same as above reason.)

5- Indifferntly. Honestly I like the already establist setting/ theme, just rather focus on other agents or just not make the film trying to repeat the previous one like they did with 2 (I haven't seen the third one so I can't judge at how bad it is).

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Aww man, Darkwing Duck... Jim Cummings wants it back, too, seeing as he made a movie all by himself and started a Kickstarter to fun the medical bills for his torn-ass hand! XP

10.) I'd TOTALLY like to see Howard the Duck in a Marvel vs. Capcom game... Maybe. And since Disney now owns both Marvel AND LucasFilm, maybe they can do something with it? Or not, given how they shut down LucasArts recently, they're probably not interested in anything other than new Star Wars movies, TV shows, and merchandise.

9.) Terminator reboot? Sure, I'd be down for something like that.

8.) Fuck yeah, I loved the Gummi Bears! I liked it because it was one of the few truly original cartoons during Disney Afternoon. I'd totally watch a reboot of that! I also like how you brought up Adventure Time and Friendship is Magic! ;)

7.) I remember Dinosaurs vaguely... I thought it was pretty creepy as a kid. Still kind of do now.

6.) Dude, anyone remember the MIB TV Series? I would watch that show all the time as a kid! The first movie's pretty damn awesome, as well! Too bad the following movies didn't properly... erm, follow up on it.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Bit of a predictable list the only one that surprised me was Howard the duck i hope that next week?s list will be more surprising

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Considering Bob's review of MIB 3, I'm not the least bit surprised that MIB is on this list. And I completely agree with Bob - the MIB series had a whole lot of potential which it never lived up to. I'd very much like to see what a fresh set of hands could do.

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
If I'm honest, Jace and the Wheeled Warriors would probably feature on my personal top 10 list of IP I'd like to see rebooted. Ulysses 31 too. Oh, and the mid-90's TV show Dark Skies... loved that.

I was pretty indifferent to Men In Black, but the rest I can certainly see as pretty good candidates. Looking forward to the top 5... please don't disappoint me by putting Firefly on the list.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
WanderingFool said:
canadamus_prime said:
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears.
I Do. Loved that series. That and Darkwing Duck, and Duck Tails, and Tailspin... God... children cartoons these days suck in comparison...
Oh I do remember Duck Tails, Darkwing Duck, and Tailspin. Those are classics. Yeah, I don't get current cartoons, not that I see many of them.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Howard the Duck? Sure, why not? Unlike most 80s properties he actually has interesting things going on. But I think he'd work better as a recurring guest star on the SHIELD series.

Terminator? This franchise has been taken in every which direction, it'd probably take a reboot to get me interested in it again.

Gummi Bears reboot: DO WANT. Almost any of those early Disney animated series like Tailspin, DuckTales, really. I liked Rescue Rangers at the time but it was extremely episodic and didn't really hint at an interesting setting like the others did. ("There's this cult, see, only they're mice who worship soft drinks.") But Gummi Bears would top my list.

I was kind of ambivalent about Dinosaurs. For every thing that made me laugh, there were two that made me groan or cringe. But it was an order of magnitude better than Fraggle Rock.

I never got the appeal of MIB in the first place, so I'm indifferent to the whole franchise.

And since some other posters have mentioned it, I'd love to see them reboot ReBoot.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
10) Howard the Duck: Eh... do you really think Disney is going to sign off on a parody of their own material? Plus how would they do it?

9) Terminator: The question is "could someone else play the Terminator?"

8) Gummy Bears: Not to rain on your parade, but the ADHD-fueled cartoons of late probably wouldn't let this last very long.

7) Dinosaurs: This is one that I can't see working. One of the draws of the series was that it was live action animatronics. I don't think you can replicate it with CGI or cheeper materials.

6) Men in Black: You might want to look into R.I.P.D. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07xNrVd7DU], which is like Men in Black except with souls (although it appears they might be a bit broken seeing as they cannot die... again...)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Howard the Duck on page could be Pulitzer and Hugo -winning material, and it still wouldn't redeem that movie. It wasn't just bad; it was a punchline for several years. This was a movie that was glad when Ishtar came out simply so there'd be another answer for the blank about bloat-budgeted abysmal box-office failures. It's also the only movie that my family ever brought home from the video store and removed from the VCR before it was finished. (And believe me, I've seen some dreck.)

Is there material in there that could be a good show? Not impossible. But I would bet heavily against it happening in my lifetime.

I actually thought MiB 3 wasn't bad, especially in comparison to the weirdly tone-deaf MiB 2. But I could certainly see a show focusing on the agency being a superior offering.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
after the ending Dinosaurs left off on, I think it would be a little hard to reboot, since it could never live up to the nostalgia held for the original. Besides, I dont know if it really needs one since there's nothing exceptionally remarkable about it as a sitcom that hasnt been/isnt being done now. Its not necessarily a kids show and i dont think the adult market is really there for anything longer than a few seasons. I mean hell, they're cancelling futurama and that had more potential than dinosars does.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Deathlyphil said:
How about ReBoot? It had some amazing ideas behind it, it was just a pity that it was made in the very beginning of a fully CGI cartoon. It would definitely be easy enough to update the concept.

EDIT
I'm more inclined to just see them actually finish of the story arc they had going first.

Honestly, it was at the point where both sides decided "eff civility, it's time to end this" and gearing up to do exactly that. Both sides are ready and the resulting battleground was likely to make Michael Bay wet his pants and then...

Nothing. No more development.

(yes, I'm aware about the web comic and such. I've read it. It doesn't answer anything)

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I would expect Howard will make a cameo appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. Additionally don't be surprised if he shows up in the currently running TMNT comicbook.

Deacon Cole

Sep 3, 2020
Country
USA
I can't think of anything likely to be on the list next week that hasn't already had a reboot/remake in recent years. He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers, G.I. Joe. All been done, for good or ill. Some of the stuff I might put on my own list is obscure crap from the 70's you kids never even heard of. Like Superstretch and Microwoman, Jason of Star Command, Misfits of Science, Super Hero Globetrotters...

Woo! Just thought of one that should be on Bob's list next week and he'll likely feel shame at having forgotten it if it's not: Thundarr the Barbarian.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Bringing Tommy Lee Jones back in MiB was such an incredible stall. I still find it astounding just how much they decided to tread water on the sequel, almost literally resetting everything so they could rehash the same story again. It can't have been written by anyone who believed that MiB could go somewhere

Deacon Cole

Sep 3, 2020
Country
USA
Interesting thing involving Howard the Duck. Originally in the comics he resembled Donald Duck a bit closely. Close enough that Disney took legal action and the look of the character was modified slightly. Now that Disney owns Marvel, they can go back to the original look of the character. I'm not sure if that's irony, but it sure seems like it. Kind of like how DC sued Fawcett over Captain Marvel and then later DC now owns Captain Marvel and can't get that guy to be as popular as he was before they sued. It's like if you and a friend are fighting over the last cookie so you spit on it so they don't want it any more but now you don't want it anymore either. But that's not at all related to Howard the Duck now being owned by Disney.

On another side topic, know what I'd like to see come back? Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. The 50's stories in that thing are hil-hi-ho-larious. In one issue, Jimmy matched wits with a group who's nefarious scheme was to bring beards into fashion. No really. That was their evil plan. About a third of the stories involved Superman giving Jimmy a gift of some kind of space food, because Superman acts like he's playing a dating sim with Jimmy, and despite any and all warnings explicit or implied, Jimmy will eat it with comical side effects. Ho ho, will that red headed ninny ever learn? An animated web series done in the 50's style with these weird stories would be great fun. What's not fun about a robot girl with a "speak Viking" button on her remote control?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am not interested in a reboot of The Terminator, mostly because of my previous experience with the reboot of Total Recall. I don't think Arnold is some sort of legendary actor that can't be replaced, but lets consider for a moment who we use to replace him... If your answer is close to Colin Farrell, you are doing it wrong.

Dan W

Oct 15, 2012
piscian said:
I would expect Howard will make a cameo appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. Additionally don't be surprised if he shows up in the currently running TMNT comicbook.
Since the Ninja Turtles are now owned by Nickelodeon, I can't imagine that we are going to see any cross over between them and any Disney owned properties.

There aren't many shows that I think would do well with a reboot, but M.A.S.K. might be a candidate. The original cartoon had some decent stories for its time. A new version with more elaborate vehicles designs/transformations could be interesting. I not sure if people would like the idea of the central villain being a terrorist organization though.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
What I love most about reboot these days is how it's become the worst possible word you could use around certain fans. If you say something about rebooting the live action Transformers movies around certain fans they will go on an epic crying fit like it was the end of the world. Somehow these sorts of fans have missed that reboots have produced some really cool stuff over the years even if every reboot doesn't hit it out of the park.

Out of Bob's list so far I'd say Gummi Bears please. I'm enough of a fan of the series that when Once Upon a Time had ogres I was bummed out that there was no Duke Igthorn to go with them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'll be honest in saying that I'd rather see new IPs, or the continuation of existing ones (set in the future or whatever) than I would reboots. In my opinion reboots pretty much shouldn't exist at all, if you want to use an existing IP, build on it, don't re-start it. If you fear not enough people are familiar with it for it to stand without a re-introduction, then it's probably a bad idea to use it to begin with.

I'll also say that they should probably leave "Terminator" alone. The reason is simply that it succeeded by being low-IQ fodder. Basically it was a very easy concept to get one's head around, an indestructable robot, with the time travel aspects being present mostly to hint at something deeper without becoming the focus. I think "Sarah Connor" failed largely because it decided to expand on the time travel aspects, much as you would expect, and it wound up going over the head of the everyman that doesn't want to worry about who might be doing what and when. That's nerd-fodder, and not something you typically expect the mainstream to embrace, especially when you focus on it to the extent of a TV series. Time Travel has to be kept very simple for the lowest human demographic. I'd personally love to see another attempt, but right now I don't think humanity is up to the task, as horrible as that sounds.

As far as "Howard The Duck" goes, I suppose it's possible, given that one of his big schticks is to parody existing super heroes within their own universe, and incidently is arguably one of the most powerful heroes ever because of it, I could see him showing up, but only when things have gotten more established. Right now I think the Marvel movie continuity is a bit too fragile to really have an audience getting into Howard showing up with his "Iron Duck Armor"
or using "Quack Fu" to fight as well as Captain America. That is kind of the point of the character, and it's also why a stand alone movie with him by definition was going to fail from the outset, because he by definition needs other, long established heroes, to exist alongside and satirize and parody to really work.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Speaking of the recent TMNT reboot, I personally find the 2003 version to be superior but maybe that's just me...

And yeah, taking MiB back to basics could be a very solid idea if fans and producers are capable of getting past the Jay/Kay thing.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
jebara said:
Number 1 will be Freakazoid, and yes, I will shed a tear.
It would be grand.
This needs to happen, in todays social networking, always online setting it would be the most perfect thing in existence.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I just saw a replay of Terminator 2 and I realized something - Miles Dyson, the guy who supposedly helped Skynet come online, almost killed by Sarah, helps her and the others break into the lab with the tech from the first Terminator, has one of the most memorable death scenes in film history - what ever happened to his family? Does the son wonder what happened to his dad? What if when he got older he investigated and heard about Skynet coming back in T3? His mom knows everything - she saw the Terminator's true form. She wouldn't just forget about it and she'd probably have to tell him sometime what really happened. What if he became an unresolved link, like he could've prevented Judgement Day, but another Terminator got him or he died in a freak accident? That could undo EVERYTHING from T3 onwards, like a retcon that X-Men did with First Class, except it would make sense!

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I've never had any cynicism towards MARVEL translating their heroes to film, and that's why I'm not concerned about the slightly more 'out there' Guardians of the Galaxy.
But I'd genuinely be surprised if they could integrate gritty Donald Duck.

I actually think Rocket raccoon is easier. Raccoons are easy to associate with supper hero qualities like speed, aggression and espionage, unlike ducks . And aesthetically, Howard is much cartoonier. Plus (and this is just assuming since I don't know much about Howard) he has to carry his mobster motif, while Rocket raccoon is more dedicated to his Alien origin, which makes him easier to justify.

But, MARVEL has been knocking their movies out the park, so I'd definitely give Howard the benefit of the doubt if they ever announced such a thing.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
10: Meh, I'm not that old and it looks awful.

9: Well... I don't see that working out pretty well, I mean, I love the first two films, especially the second, but the way the second finished, it ended pretty well, the sequels felt kinda forced.

8: YES!!!, I still own the Beta (yes, as in Betamax [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Kaseta_wideo_w_systemie_Beta_ubt.jpeg/220px-Kaseta_wideo_w_systemie_Beta_ubt.jpeg], remember those?) I used to record the series!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

7: ALL OF MY YES again, but I can't see how that could work out with modern audiences, especially if they decide the CGI route.

6: Meh, as anyone else, I liked the first movie, hated the sequels and a big meh for the cartoon, it was okay, very watchable, but nothing remarkable.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I used to be a big fan of TMNT. I even liked the remake they did in the early 2000's. Maybe I should hunt this new one down.... As far as reboots, I like the idea behind most of these. Gummie Bears is my favorite. I watched some of that semi-recently. I really wanted to know more about their whole "last remnants of an ancient and powerful civilization" shtick, but the Saturday morning cartoon formula kept getting in the way.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No Bob, it's not the Big Picture, it's HALF of the Big Picture ;)
Will be interesting to see the second half.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I somehow hope that the duck and dinosaurs don't get a reboot... though nobody would force me to watch it, so meh... the other 3 could work very well.
Though some new IPs would be great, too. I hope the success of Game of Thrones and Adventure Time means we get more new stuff. But I'm sure we'll see many reboots in the future... good and bad ones.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmWyZlW2sE
You're welcome.

I agree with most of this article, but I've never seen Dinosaurs so I couldn't offer an opinion.

One show I'd like to see rebooted is the Super Mario Bros show. There was a lot wrong with it, mostly the format; the live action bits were unnecessary (please don't haunt me, ghost of Captain Lou Albano) and it would work better without trying to stick so closely to the games.

Basically, take Adventure Time, replace Finn with Mario and Jake with Luigi, PB with Peach, Ice King with Bowser, throw in some Yoshis and you're golden. Tell me you wouldn't watch that until your eyeballs exploded, and you're a big fat liar.

Swarmcrow

Dec 11, 2008
Howard the Duck: why even bother?

Terminator: FUCK NO....just NO, Don't start given them idea Bob. The Terminator Story is done and the only thing left to tell is the story of kyle reese being sent back the past ...but unless james cameron or someone as good as james cameron is making film then is not going to work

Gummi Bears: meh.. couldn't they just show Reruns of all those awesome old Disney cartoons.. imea

Dinosaurs: this show is timeless and it has the most amazing SAD ending in the History of TV sitcoms, why make it again?

MiB: no...I have already saw I everything I wanted from the cartoon and the films never seem to get what made the first film so good... it would be just another self parody

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Here is my Reboot List. I believe it is perfect in all ways. I'm including games because, well, some of them need a reboot.

10 - DinoRiders. A war where mutants and humans fight each other on dinosaurs mounted with rocket launchers. HOW IS THIS NOT A MOVIE?!

9 - Metropolis. A silent, black & white German movie from the 30s... and easily one of the greatest, most influential movies ever made that was so forward-thinking that we're currently using technology in this movie that didn't even exist when the movie was made. Star Wars stole most of its iconic concepts directly from this movie. It has everything: sexy robot women, class warfare, romance, action, highly relevant sociopolitical themes, mad scientists... Give this thing a modern budget, get someone like Alex Proyas on it, and watch it influence movies for the NEXT 100 years.

8 - ReBoot. Someone already mentioned it, but we MUST reboot ReBoot. Imagine the possibilities with modern CG technology!... and try to forget that the original 'ground-breaking' show looks REALLY bad nowadays. Though the key problem is not technology, but rather who could ever replace Tony Jay?!

7 - Parasite Eve. Parasite Eve was a revelation on the Playstation 1 in many areas. It was a strange mix of survival horror and RPG, set in modern New York City, starring a very sexy, but tough and smartly dressed, female protagonist. It dealt with genetics, eugenics, maternity, self-identity, fate, sacrifice, madness, and duty, all wrapped up in a smart narrative with great characters... and the last game, The 3rd Birthday, absolutely BUTCHERED the original in every single way possible. Every character, every story thread, every theme, all grossly ruined in such an embarrassing fashion that a reboot that returns to the style and themes of the original is almost necessary, if only to keep THIS monstrosity from being the pathetic exit this series gets. I want my Aya Brea badass cop back...

6 - The Matrix. Like Bob's mention of Men in Black, the original Matrix movie was lauded, rightly so, for being smart, bold, and fun. How then did the sequels botch it up so badly? Rather than exploring the world OF the Matrix (they showed us Zion, I guess), it returned to the same themes of the original and focused on Neo over and over and over again when, honestly, his journey was OVER in part 1. That's why the Animatrix is so good, because it shows the world of the Matrix as seen by others. For some, they dive into programs resembling feudal Japan; others explore the rise of the machines; others explore a detective tracking down clues to reveal the truth. It was fascinating, yet the movies squandered each and every possibility to explore a bold new direction for the franchise and, well, lost their fun along the way as well.

5 - Resident Evil. This series is so unbelievably, schizophrenically broken that I feel nothing BUT a reboot can salvage it. The once king of survival horror, the series that dozens of other games aped and copied and chased after, abandoned its formula in favor of chasing after the Call of Duty and Gears of War audience. Where once they led, now they followed, and the results weren't pretty. We've had so many shoddy Resident Evil games that have no clue what they even are, all while eating up massive budgets and angering fans, that it baffles me that a reboot hasn't crossed Capcom's mind. It's simple: don't have 700 people make the game. Make a small game, perhaps in one or two big mansions, with a cast of around 3 or 4, filled with monsters and death traps, and sell the game. Watch your profits increase. You're welcome.

4 - Captain Planet. With Don Cheadle. Yes. I'm serious. Though imagine if they cast the actors who voiced them in the movie! Jeff Goldblum as Verminous Skumm? Whoopi Goldberg as Gaia? Meg Ryan as Dr. Blight? Now would would be Linka and Wheeler...

3 - Metroid. This is sort of cheating. Is "ignoring" a certain game the same as "rebooting" it if you selectively reboot? I just want Metroid: Other M gone. Entirely. From history. Eradicated. Erased. Zapped from all humanity's memory like the Men in Black mind-nullifier thingie. Having played Metroid Prime Trilogy recently, and seeing how utterly amazing it is, I want a "reboot" going right back to that point and pretending the future is bright and sunny for my favorite franchise and game heroine.

2 - Mutant League. Every sport you ever loved, only with mutants, explosions, spikes, death traps, and buckets of cartoon gore. How can you say no to that? It's like "Saw" meets "American Gladiator".

1 - Voltron. Seriously. It's 2013. What the f***. Where is this? I haven't heard "And I'll form the head" in YEARS. That's a crime against humanity.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
jebara said:
Number 1 will be Freakazoid, and yes, I will shed a tear.
Nah, Freakazoid falls under the same category as Darkwing Duck. It doesn't need a reboot, it'd just be nice to see more of it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
1. Howard the Duck....Mmmm.... I can't say much about it since I've only glimsped at the movie.

2. Terminator? Yes, it can be done. I'd like to see Jason Momoa try the role of the Terminator. He has the build up and intensity based on his caliber. I'd be willing to forget the Conan the barbarian remake. I would like to also someone who can BE threatening while he doesn't look it at first.

3 & 4. I've never seen those shows.

5. Yes, I'd see a tv show based on your concept of MIB

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Can't say I concur with most of these ideas, but the Men in Black idea has some merit. The only problem I have with it though is that with reboots, you have to balance the baggage you bring with the franchise against the concepts and goodwill you get from it. Men in Black has plenty of baggage to drag down any reboot, and it isn't really offset by a lot of well-developed ideas from the franchise - as you said, a lot of the films focused on the J-K dynamic, not the finer details. It begs the question of whether you might just want to try a similar idea, with a new IP. But, all things considered, I think a reboot would be better than a new IP, if only slightly.

Tombfyre

Feb 7, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dinosaurs could be updated to continue messing around with modern pop culture and such in the sitcom format. If nothing else, it could likely stand out and be interesting just for the fact that we'll have more talking dinosaurs enjoying day in the life moments of prehistoric suburbia.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
glad to see old howard finally getting some love :) ive always had a soft spot for that film. one of those so bad its good movies :D

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I agree we need more Darkwing Duck episodes.

The only thing that needs rebooting is Salute Your Shorts or Clarissa Explains It All. I would say All That but isn't that basically the new SNL cast?

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Regardless of Gummi Bears' good points and faults (I personally can't remember the plot of a single episode), it at least has gained my respect mainly because it was a great lead-in show to the more 'tween/young adult Gargoyles series. Thank you, Gummi Bears... thank you! :)

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
The Gummi Bears, "Game of Thrones, but with bears", so funny, i laughed so hard... and then realized, that there's more truth in it than apparent at first glance. I might really like a reboot of this!
And i totaly agree on MIB, i hoped for so much more after the first movie, even thought the animated series was ok as well but the other movies... just meh. Though, i would probably keep the wurm guys: While you could replace them with "any other" alien, i think they would be good to keep some light-hearted humor in any possible reboot, without having them to be "mandatory sidekicks" - most of the time they just hang at the MIB headquarters and sometimes participate in conversation, or even in action, that's how it was in MIB, the animated series and what they even got into the second movie as well.

For the others so far: I've seen them and i think i get your respective point and reboots might be cool, but i just care less about them.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Dan W said:
piscian said:
Since the Ninja Turtles are now owned by Nickelodeon, I can't imagine that we are going to see any cross over between them and any Disney owned properties.

There aren't many shows that I think would do well with a reboot, but M.A.S.K. might be a candidate. The original cartoon had some decent stories for its time. A new version with more elaborate vehicles designs/transformations could be interesting. I not sure if people would like the idea of the central villain being a terrorist organization though.
Maybe not the TV series but on the comicbook side of things crossovers are embraced. Its a win win for everyone and requires very little legal mumbojumbo.

Do I want anything rebooted? Honestly no, ok scratch that EXOSQUAD needs a reboot the show and toys were just awesome on top of awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRflfyievk

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
KubuTsukareta said:
Calling it right now:
Because MovieBob mentioned Friendship Is Magic ONCE, and only once, this thread will become the site of yet another debate between bronies and their haters. Call me a cynic.
(And my opinion is that both sides have valid points, but they express them with such blind overzealousness that the ability to take them seriously is lost. See above.)
GAH! NO! BLEH! PLEASE NO! NO DEBATES! Don't make them come out! They can smell your noises! They can hear your heartbeat!

Can't we all just passively watch what we watch without making it a warzone between haters and fans?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Trishbot said:
1 - Voltron. Seriously. It's 2013. What the f***. Where is this? I haven't heard "And I'll form the head" in YEARS. That's a crime against humanity.
I take it you didn't watch Voltron Force on Nick, did you? They had different lions forming the head, each time pulling out a different weapon. They also had the good old announcing which body part they'll form with the classic William-shatner-recovering-from-a-severe-head-injury speed!
And Bob, this is a fascinating list with interesting choices, but I point out a few things: Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles was the tits, Amazing Spider-Man is not awful and way better than Raimi's turd (rhymes with third!) one, the new TombRaider is a prequel to the other games (but should have been titled as such), and the Hannibal and Bates Motel TV shows are more like prequels to the movies.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
There's only one possibility for Howard the Duck to turn out: Like Garfield or The Smurfs.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Not sure I agree with your list, Bob, but it's certainly interesting and reveals the amount of thought you put in pop culture.

Hyperactiveman

Oct 26, 2008
I would rather like to see Men in Black & Terminator added to and expanded as opposed to being remade. The movies are amazingly good and do not need to bear the risk of being replaced with potentially similar movies to the crap-spewing garbage of today.

Also YES OMG YES we so need DINOSAURS back! I watched it every Sunday morning when I was growing up in England and it just really helped in contributing to the end of a 'good week'. Two seasons is sooo not enough.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Ukomba said:
You just know Star Wars is going to be in the top 5.
I dunno if A New Hope will be on his list but rebooting Star Wars--The OT--was what came to mind for me, too.

As soon as I heard about Disney buying Lucas Arts I realized that it's just a matter of time before they remake the originals. Moreover I wouldn't be surprised if they start off with the prequels but re-write them to make them consistent and better (I love you, George, but you just CANNOT do romance, Bro).

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
I agree with everything in this video

expaclly re-booting the gummi bears cartoon

and I seriously question why there is not an MIB show already I mean a live action drama

Its not rocket science other "nerdy" prime time stuff is doing well but its currently a majority of fanisty (Once a pone a time, grimm, game of thrones, etc) we need more sci-fi stuff all that's out there is falling skies and if that crazy show can be popular a show based on a already popular franchise should do well

serously someone should right now go pitch this to someone MIB the tv show
how hard would it be just make CSI (well CSI:new york but CSI:new york is the suckest of the CSIs copy Miami that ones better I woould say las vagas but that one went down hill after grissom left) with aliens I am telling you it would be a hit

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
Interesting choice there Bob, so here's my take on each of them:

Howard the Duck: I really liked this movie as a kid, so I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of this, especially with today's CGI and special effects. I could see the reboot as a TV series or even a web series, but not a full-length movie.

Terminator: Personally, no. The Terminator series has already had two "reboots" and both are just average in my book. Time to let this series go into the big Skynet in the...well, sky.

The Gummi Bears: I was an avid watcher of the show and it's home on The Disney Afternoon time block throughout my elementary school days. Now with that said, would I want a reboot? Honestly, no. Sure it was a great show in its heyday, but for me, I really can't invest in a show that I had a passing liking for. Now the TV show Bonkers, on the other hand, I could deal with a reboot since I really enjoyed that show, along with Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers.

Dinosaurs: I would watch this show on and off as a kid. It was odd, but entertaining. Would I want a reboot? Not really, but just like with Howard the Duck, I could see the reboot as a web series or maybe as an on demand type series that could later be put on DVD.

Men in Black: Yes, but only in comic/novel form. The TV series was just OK for me and the movies are just fine the way they are.

Can't wait to see what the next half of the list is next week Bob!

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Yeah, Men In Black could make a pretty solid live action TV series. Take something like the V reboot's level of special effects with some funny and dark writing and it could be pretty nice.

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
You know what I want, Star Trek as a TV series.

Also a reboot of the Fire Emblem anime would be nice.

Deacon Cole

Sep 3, 2020
Country
USA
Trishbot said:
If you get a new Voltron, then I'd better get a new Star Blazers.

FirebirdXR

Feb 22, 2011
A reboot of ReBoot better be on there next time Bob!

Let's see... what else can we have?

- Swat Cats
- Robocop (We are getting a movie, I think. But I won't count it until I see a teaser.)
- Speed Racer (Done in a similar style to the Redline anime movie, which was awesome!)
- Spider-Man (because the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon suck ass!)
- Megas XLR (Ok, not a reboot, per se. I really just want to see more of this... along with Samurai Jack)

tobimaro

Nov 23, 2010
Trishbot said:
9 - Metropolis. A silent, black & white German movie from the 30s... and easily one of the greatest, most influential movies ever made that was so forward-thinking that we're currently using technology in this movie that didn't even exist when the movie was made. Star Wars stole most of its iconic concepts directly from this movie. It has everything: sexy robot women, class warfare, romance, action, highly relevant sociopolitical themes, mad scientists... Give this thing a modern budget, get someone like Alex Proyas on it, and watch it influence movies for the NEXT 100 years.

First, I recommend searching for the Osamu Tezuka version of "Metropolis". I got to see both the silent movie and the anime at a double showing several years ago. I would think that would be your reboot.

As for Voltron, only if they did an update of Go Lion (the show that Voltron was based off of). And do not cut the hell out of the series just to please the American audience.

As for my personal reboots, I agree that an update of Gummi Bears is overdue. And Pirates of Dark Water needs to have its finish. But the show I would pay to see ended is Exo Squad. That show ended way too soon.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Men In Black 1 is amazing...especially the ending.

Men In Black 2 is awful

Men In Black 3 is good! I liked the story and it wrapped-up the J and K arc well.

If they were to Reboot it they would have to bring in new characters...otherwise there's not really anywhere else to go with the characters J and K.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
the antithesis said:
I can't think of anything likely to be on the list next week that hasn't already had a reboot/remake in recent years. He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers, G.I. Joe. All been done, for good or ill. Some of the stuff I might put on my own list is obscure crap from the 70's you kids never even heard of. Like Superstretch and Microwoman, Jason of Star Command, Misfits of Science, Super Hero Globetrotters...

Woo! Just thought of one that should be on Bob's list next week and he'll likely feel shame at having forgotten it if it's not: Thundarr the Barbarian.

Super Hero Globetrotters itself was kind of a reboot of the Impossibles: Fluid Man = Liquid Man; Coil Man = Spaghetti Man; and they didn't even bother to change Multi Man's code name.

A reboot of Thundarr the Barbarian would IMHO the only way it could come back as the original is way too goofy for modern audiences. For example, many of the the people are wearing what amounts to 2,000 year old hand me downs creating the impression that the 1994 disaster was recent.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Dinosaurs would only be good as a reboot if they skip past the ending of the original series. Sure most of the adult audience knew the history so could've predicted "Winter is coming", but to have it as a result of a Chernobyl-style industrial disaster, and then end the show on that note, was a complete reversal of tone from what the rest of the series was built on. That's like ending the Simpsons by having Berns's plant destroying Springfield. It might happen that way anyway, it's just not funny and not in the best interest of the show.

I'd like to see a reboot of Captain N, complete with an updated character roster and over-their-heads jokes myself. Possibly a fresh Transformers cartoon that's not overstylized manga bots or Spongebob SquarePrime. One can have robot carnage without 30 thrusters, megaton guns half the size of the characters, or the ridiculous upgrade mods later ported to the films.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
LordLundar said:
Deathlyphil said:

EDIT
I'm more inclined to just see them actually finish of the story arc they had going first.

Honestly, it was at the point where both sides decided "eff civility, it's time to end this" and gearing up to do exactly that. Both sides are ready and the resulting battleground was likely to make Michael Bay wet his pants and then...

Nothing. No more development.

(yes, I'm aware about the web comic and such. I've read it. It doesn't answer anything)
There's a webcomic? Why wasn't I informed?

Yes, a continuation from the end of series four would be amazing. Only thing is, it would look completely out of place given how much cgi has advanced. Now if they did took the Games Industry route and re-did all the graphics, i.e. HD'ing the lot, then they could continue on from series 4 without too much of a jump in aesthetics.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I could live with a Terminator reboot.

I'd like to see Dinosaurs come back in any sense.

Deathlyphil said:

EDIT
ReBoot is still supposedly getting new media coming soon. While the visuals of the original shows are dated, and some of the references are as well, Reboot is capable of being modernised without actually rebooting it. And let's face it, there's a workable ongoing saga there.

The only real downside to my mind is the impossibility of the return of Tony Jay as Megabyte.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
Besides, I dont know if it really needs one since there's nothing exceptionally remarkable about it as a sitcom that hasnt been/isnt being done now.
I disagree. There was a lot of interesting things in Dinosaurs you can't do with a family of human characters. Mostly due the the fact that 'they where dinosaurs and still killing and eating each other in this otherwise seemingly stone-age-modern world. Also you can't really do episodes about things like this:
or
or

in regular sitcoms with human families.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I would like to see a brutal modern day version of The Phantom. Dude turns out as the sole survivor from a (modern) pirate raid in some sort of boat, maybe a Queen Mary sort of thing, and he wakes up somewhere in the coast of Africa, where he is trained by a resistance group's elders to become some sort of mythical figure to fight of a dictatorial regime in any given African country.
I know it's hard to sell, people try and The Phantom doesn't work :( Well, Phantom 2000something was damn awesome at least

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I love the idea of a Men in Black series. As you say it would need to rely less on the established characters to flesh itself out.

Look at the wide range of procedural crime dramas out there and tell me you can't make a good MIB series based on that formula.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
emeraldrafael said:
Besides, I dont know if it really needs one since there's nothing exceptionally remarkable about it as a sitcom that hasnt been/isnt being done now.
I disagree. There was a lot of interesting things in Dinosaurs you can't do with a family of human characters. Mostly due the the fact that 'they where dinosaurs and still killing and eating each other in this otherwise seemingly stone-age-modern world. Also you can't really do episodes about things like this:

-vid snip-

in regular sitcoms with human families.
So three small time based puns. Something you could easily do setting a human family in the same time period. because all you really have there is:
A mandatory age for death (something that can be done using a human family and i'm sure has been done [in fact was the entire plot of a movie])
A plot about a species going extinct as a cover to have a deep family bonding moment (in other words, bart simpson taking care of two lizards that eat birds that should be killed)
and
A final "oh no we're all fucked because we didnt respect the environment (which i'll also add isnt exactly a light hearted episode in any means)" which is basically a series ender (something roseanne did with dan dying, something married with children did with kelly being married to a mobster (which also emcompasses the above point), and really any series that knows its not being picked up again that makes an actual series finale (i'm sure futurama and the simpsons will both have big huge emotional final episodes). Hell if you want to use that just to match tone (even if it wasnt a sitcom) Captain planet did that on a routine episode basis, and the mood of that show was comedic teaching (though again i admit its not a sitcom.

I just donts ee a reason why it needs to be brought back, when it would just be labeled to kids television and likey changed so much that:
A) it wouldnt last
B) if it does it will be ina way fans who wanted it back would hate

and doesnt really offer anything other sitcoms do in their ways other than "OH man, its a modern family doing stuff modern families do, BUT THEYRE DINOSAURS! how HILARIOUS is that! Look at all the "funny" dinosaur jokes we can make!" which is fine if thats what you want, just keep watching the old episodes.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Howard the duck...... Yeah i remember enough to know that's not the direction marvel shouldn't go in.
Yeah a dinausers reboot would be fun, nay needed.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
emeraldrafael said:
I would hardly call 'the world ending' or 'killing old people when they reach a certain age' typical sitcom stuff, movies maybe, but not sitcoms, no. It would be really hard for them to do anything like that because the entire biases of sitcoms is they are usually more down the earth; they aren't meant to have that kind of scope. The fact that it was a sitcom about dinosaurs already crossed the line most don't.

I just donts ee a reason why it needs to be brought back, when it would just be labeled to kids television and likey changed so much that:
A) it wouldnt last
A sitcom about dinosaurs doesn't neccisairly have to be picked up by the same or another child-friendly network. Under the best circumstances someone could pick it up with the intent of making something interesting, not just pandering for money. Yeah it would probably be animated CGI crap (regardless of who picked it up) but they might be able to go in interesting directions with it what were previously bared off. It might also benefit from being animated. Even as a kid I could tell the original show was suffering from needing too high a budget to do things. Limited sets, VERY limited puppet selection. Many smaller, crappy puppets always trying to be sneaked in to give the illusion of variety, etc. If it was animated in some way, they would be free to do whatever they wanted and for less money.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
xPixelatedx said:
emeraldrafael said:
I would hardly call 'the world ending' or 'killing old people when they reach a certain age' typical sitcom stuff, movies maybe, but not sitcoms, no. It would be really hard for them to do anything like that because the entire biases of sitcoms is they are usually more down the earth; they aren't meant to have that kind of scope. The fact that it was a sitcom about dinosaurs already crossed the line most don't.

A) it wouldnt last
A sitcom about dinosaurs doesn't neccisairly have to be picked up by the same or another child-friendly network. Under the best circumstances someone could pick it up with the intent of making something interesting, not just pandering for money. Yeah it would probably be animated CGI crap (regardless of who picked it up) but they might be able to go in interesting directions with it what were previously bared off. It might also benefit from being animated. Even as a kid I could tell the original show was suffering from needing too high a budget to do things. Limited sets, VERY limited puppet selection. Many smaller, crappy puppets always trying to be sneaked in to give the illusion of variety, etc. If it was animated in some way, they would be free to do whatever they wanted and for less money.
The overall point is its a standard sitcom. the uniqueness came from puppetry and jim henson, other than that, its all rather standard quo. for it "not being as grounded" as other series, it hit all the same points other sitcoms do (in the form of "special episodes"). There's nothing remarkable about it (compared to the other great sitcoms or at least the memorable ones), and honestly its not even a very good one when compared. I recently watched all the episodes again and i realized the only thing that made it any better to me than a show like roseanne or mama's family is that it was just dinosuars instead of people which isnt enough to carry a show long through. It was a show of its time and I dont think it would carry well now without being mediocre. People remember its ending and hold it up high because "holy shit they just said the planet died and the little baby doesnt realize its fucked". Just like people remember the different strokes episode about rape in a bike shop, people remember the punky brewster episode about her having a nightmare, people remember roseanne for :SPOILER: dan dying in the end and that perfect image of life just being a fantasy, people remember the fresh prince episode where he dies and visits a cemetery, people remember the The jeffersons for the two episodes about suicide. you're picking out setting pieces of it and saying look, look what they did, isnt that cool and innovating and groundbreaking! and ignoring it was just setting. Shows in the modern age setting have huge episodes dealing with their time periods with just as much impact while throughout the series touching on all the hot topic issues of the time. You can say it missed its potential due to budget costs, but really what potential is there. its standard sitcom at its core and likely wouldnt ahve gone on past 4 seasons without jumping the Megalodon (if not sooner).

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Gummi Bears would be a good candidate; it basically kicked off the "Disney Afternoon" I grew up with. Thing is, aside from their relationship with ABC, Disney has, not just a channel, but a STABLE of channels to air all kinds of material. And right now, if there's an awesome cartoon you want to watch, you can either catch it on Disney XD (Ultimate Spider-Man, Max Steel, Slug Terra, Motor City, Tron Uprising, Kick Buttowski, Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes), or wait for it to float over to Netflix. Even if they found room for a Gummi Bears reboot in all that, it would never see the light of network TV.

In a similar vein, the strength of Dinosaurs is in the nostalgia factor. A modern reboot would lack the personality that the animatronics brought to the original show. This is also why people still love the Muppets, even though Avatar did everything with computers that The Dark Crystal tried to accomplish 30 years ago.

If Terminator was going to survive apart from Arnold, it would have done it with Sarah Connor Chronicles, featuring Summer Glau and Garrett Dillahunt among a talented cast. Killer time-traveling robots from the future was cool but it was sold on Arnold and it dies with Arnold's youth. This BTW was the same failing of MiB: it sold on star power, and as much as Will Smith is one of the most bankable names in Hollywood, people still love the Tommy Lee Jones. Whole movies rise and fall on the presence of Tommy Lee Jones, not only MiB but also The Fugitive, Space Cowboys, Batman Forever (remember, Batman is always about the villains he fights), Man of the House, Blown Away... U.S. Marshals would never have been made without the success of Jones' character from The Fugitive. And you all know you smiled and said "HEEYYY!" when he appeared in Captain America, or Lincoln, or NBK or the Client. This is the double-edged sword of star power, like making a Tom Cruise movie without selling it as a Tom Cruise movie (see also: Oblivion). Both franchises are effectively dead for a generation. And anyway, SHIELD should be everything Bob wished MiB was, because if there's one thing Whedon can do, it's an ensemble piece. Added bonus: they get the one guy everyone wanted to be in all the upcoming Marvel movies: Clark Gregg.

It's not to say this isn't a good list, just unlikely.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
Trishbot said:
They rebooted Voltron. It went about as well as the Thundercats reboot.

angel85

Dec 31, 2008
Your brief mention of the MIB Cartoon was actually the first time I ever saw anybody acknowledge it since it was on TV. I loved that cartoon but it seems like everbody forgot about it.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Reboots are always so hit n miss you never know what will be good or bad. I could name a tonne of old or new shows I'd love to see return in some form. I reckon a new Gargoyles would do tremendously well now if modernized with some talented people working on it.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
Heh, I used to watch gummi bears when I was younger. Would totally watch it, if it got rebooted.

EDIT:
Scribblesense said:
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmWyZlW2sE
You're welcome.
Thank you

Finalplayerryu

Jul 21, 2011
Darkwing Duck, Men in Black (with the tv series) and Dinosaurs do feel completed for me. For Dinosaurs i have to say that Guilty Pleasure is too much, it was and actually still is great show, well written, well executed. I dont feel like this show could benefit from todays common techniques aka CGI as it would take away from the core that held it all together: its charm.

As for Gummi Bears, i sure as hell would have loved more information about everything, i wholesome can agree that it would benefit from a reboot.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Gummy Bears! Thanks! You've finally answered a question that occasionally floats to the top of my head every few years about what the heck the show was.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Whenever someone on the Escapist says that they have free reign for their series, I don't believe them. If it's a top ten, why not just screw the arbitrary 5-minute limit and do a ten-minute episode? Is it just easier that way for Bob?

I just suspect that there are a certain number of shadowy rules all Escapist content must follow; one of those rules being that you cannot talk about the rules.

jayman52

Sep 12, 2009
Dan W said:
piscian said:
Read before you post, sir. The Ninja Turtles COMIC BOOK is in no way owned by Nickelodeon.

Dan W

Oct 15, 2012
jayman52 said:
Dan W said:
piscian said:
Read before you post, sir. The Ninja Turtles COMIC BOOK is in no way owned by Nickelodeon.
I suppose it could come down to a matter of semantics, but as I understand it, as it is described on wikipedia and how Peter Laird described it on his blog back in 2009 is that Nickelodeon/Viacom now owns the TMNT property. Part of the sale was the granting of a license to Laird to continue to publish a limited number of comics per year if he wishes to. Viacom still owns the comics rights though. This is why they are the ones licensing IDW to produce new comics and reprint the old Mirage issues. Pick up one of the reprints of the Mirage comics that IDW has been publishing. Viacom is listed as the copyright holder and Mirage Publishing isn't mentioned anywhere.

MattValtezzy95

Oct 1, 2011
So just gonna leave this here with the whole Terminator reboot idea. (ya know and there gonna have Arnold back as a T-100)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/emilia-clarke-cast-as-sarah-connor-in-terminator-reboot/