The Big Picture: The Boot, Part One

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Boot, Part One

MovieBob gives us the first five out of ten movies, or series, that deserve a reboot.

Watch Video

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
I thought MIB 2 & 3 were really good. Also if you focus on a organization were everyone is called by one letter rather than specific characters you loose a point of focus, as most of MIB is very uptight. J is the only one who is in anyway down to earth. Without him it would feel weird.

Jan 12, 2012
I'm not sure Dinosaurs is really reboot-ready as a live-action sitcom; there's an inherent sillyness to dinosaurs in turtlenecks that I'm not sure would fly on cable, and good luck getting another sitcom show with weird protagonists to stand out on the internet.

Plus, I don't think I could stand to see this again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPTUA_wdp78

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears. Also would the Men in Black really need a reboot or just a decent TV series?

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
So I wasn't the only one that watched MIB and expected more depth into the organization than MIB1 being done over and over again? I mean, there is only so many times you can do the "rookie cop" plot in sequels. Aka, only do it during the first movie. -_-

Yokta

Mar 23, 2013
Calling it right now:
Because MovieBob mentioned Friendship Is Magic ONCE, and only once, this thread will become the site of yet another debate between bronies and their haters. Call me a cynic.
(And my opinion is that both sides have valid points, but they express them with such blind overzealousness that the ability to take them seriously is lost. See above.)

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
If ReBoot turns out to be one of those next reboots, I'm going to fall off my chair laughing. Not because it would be a bad idea, but because it just sounds funny.
I really wish someone would go in the direction you specified with MIB. At times, the cartoon would sort of expand to other agents, but it was mostly just L and that other guy as the B team to J and K's A team, though L and whatever his initial was were a tad more competent put together.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
How about ReBoot? It had some amazing ideas behind it, it was just a pity that it was made in the very beginning of a fully CGI cartoon. It would definitely be easy enough to update the concept.

EDIT
I think that's the first time I have ever been ninja'd. It feels... kinda nice.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Howard the Duck: no
Terminator: maybe
Gummi Bears: yes
Dinosaurs: can't see that working
MiB: maybe

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
After you mentioned Darkwing Duck, I was surprised to see Gummi Bears on your list. While Gummi Bears could do with a touch up and DVD/Blu/Netflix release (along with other Disney Saturday morning stuff), I don't think it needs rebooting.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I do feel obligated to post this:
Anyways, I would love to see Dinosaurs make a return, the writing was excellent, both in the comedic and topical aspects. Great jokes and great social commentary.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears.
I Do. Loved that series. That and Darkwing Duck, and Duck Tails, and Tailspin... God... children cartoons these days suck in comparison...

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I do sort of agree with Howard the Duck. I most recently saw him in the Fearsome Four series of Fear Itself and he was still a pretty fun character, a biter grizzled hero who was...well...a duck. And I do really think something cool could be done with that.

I rewatched Dinosaurs on Netflix recently, and it wasn't nearly as funny as I remember. Not that it was bad, just I dunno how it would fly with a reboot. I feel there's a 50/50 chance on good vs. bad here.

Gummi Bears and Men in Black...I have no comment on either of those.

And as for Terminator...honestly, I think that series has been so run into the ground with T3, the show and the other movie that I don't even think Arnold could save it at this point.

Can't wait for the next 5, really excited.

...also, that was the first shot I'd ever actually seen for the S.H.I.E.L.D. show, and I'm REALLY excited for that one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let see-

10- Very unlikely especially when Marvel own Howard the Duck. I mean why would they bring it back while they got the rest of the Avengers superheroes film to produce? In saying so I can easily seeing it as a short series or an animated one.

9- I'm indifferent toward a Terminator reboot. Sure I love the first two films (I haven't seen salvation or the Sarah Conner chronical) but I know a reboot will be vastly different if they choose the setting as the present day (why look up her name on the phonebook when you can try online especially when you're a killing robot in human fleash).

8- YES!!! (I guesing I am mainly seeing this out of nostalgia.)

7- YES AGAIN!!! (Same as above reason.)

5- Indifferntly. Honestly I like the already establist setting/ theme, just rather focus on other agents or just not make the film trying to repeat the previous one like they did with 2 (I haven't seen the third one so I can't judge at how bad it is).

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Aww man, Darkwing Duck... Jim Cummings wants it back, too, seeing as he made a movie all by himself and started a Kickstarter to fun the medical bills for his torn-ass hand! XP

10.) I'd TOTALLY like to see Howard the Duck in a Marvel vs. Capcom game... Maybe. And since Disney now owns both Marvel AND LucasFilm, maybe they can do something with it? Or not, given how they shut down LucasArts recently, they're probably not interested in anything other than new Star Wars movies, TV shows, and merchandise.

9.) Terminator reboot? Sure, I'd be down for something like that.

8.) Fuck yeah, I loved the Gummi Bears! I liked it because it was one of the few truly original cartoons during Disney Afternoon. I'd totally watch a reboot of that! I also like how you brought up Adventure Time and Friendship is Magic! ;)

7.) I remember Dinosaurs vaguely... I thought it was pretty creepy as a kid. Still kind of do now.

6.) Dude, anyone remember the MIB TV Series? I would watch that show all the time as a kid! The first movie's pretty damn awesome, as well! Too bad the following movies didn't properly... erm, follow up on it.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Bit of a predictable list the only one that surprised me was Howard the duck i hope that next week?s list will be more surprising

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Considering Bob's review of MIB 3, I'm not the least bit surprised that MIB is on this list. And I completely agree with Bob - the MIB series had a whole lot of potential which it never lived up to. I'd very much like to see what a fresh set of hands could do.