The Big Picture: The Boot, Part One

Suicidal Zebra

Feb 11, 2011
If I'm honest, Jace and the Wheeled Warriors would probably feature on my personal top 10 list of IP I'd like to see rebooted. Ulysses 31 too. Oh, and the mid-90's TV show Dark Skies... loved that.

I was pretty indifferent to Men In Black, but the rest I can certainly see as pretty good candidates. Looking forward to the top 5... please don't disappoint me by putting Firefly on the list.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
WanderingFool said:
canadamus_prime said:
Oh geez I barely remember the Gummi Bears.
I Do. Loved that series. That and Darkwing Duck, and Duck Tails, and Tailspin... God... children cartoons these days suck in comparison...
Oh I do remember Duck Tails, Darkwing Duck, and Tailspin. Those are classics. Yeah, I don't get current cartoons, not that I see many of them.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Howard the Duck? Sure, why not? Unlike most 80s properties he actually has interesting things going on. But I think he'd work better as a recurring guest star on the SHIELD series.

Terminator? This franchise has been taken in every which direction, it'd probably take a reboot to get me interested in it again.

Gummi Bears reboot: DO WANT. Almost any of those early Disney animated series like Tailspin, DuckTales, really. I liked Rescue Rangers at the time but it was extremely episodic and didn't really hint at an interesting setting like the others did. ("There's this cult, see, only they're mice who worship soft drinks.") But Gummi Bears would top my list.

I was kind of ambivalent about Dinosaurs. For every thing that made me laugh, there were two that made me groan or cringe. But it was an order of magnitude better than Fraggle Rock.

I never got the appeal of MIB in the first place, so I'm indifferent to the whole franchise.

And since some other posters have mentioned it, I'd love to see them reboot ReBoot.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
10) Howard the Duck: Eh... do you really think Disney is going to sign off on a parody of their own material? Plus how would they do it?

9) Terminator: The question is "could someone else play the Terminator?"

8) Gummy Bears: Not to rain on your parade, but the ADHD-fueled cartoons of late probably wouldn't let this last very long.

7) Dinosaurs: This is one that I can't see working. One of the draws of the series was that it was live action animatronics. I don't think you can replicate it with CGI or cheeper materials.

6) Men in Black: You might want to look into R.I.P.D. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07xNrVd7DU], which is like Men in Black except with souls (although it appears they might be a bit broken seeing as they cannot die... again...)

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Howard the Duck on page could be Pulitzer and Hugo -winning material, and it still wouldn't redeem that movie. It wasn't just bad; it was a punchline for several years. This was a movie that was glad when Ishtar came out simply so there'd be another answer for the blank about bloat-budgeted abysmal box-office failures. It's also the only movie that my family ever brought home from the video store and removed from the VCR before it was finished. (And believe me, I've seen some dreck.)

Is there material in there that could be a good show? Not impossible. But I would bet heavily against it happening in my lifetime.

I actually thought MiB 3 wasn't bad, especially in comparison to the weirdly tone-deaf MiB 2. But I could certainly see a show focusing on the agency being a superior offering.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
after the ending Dinosaurs left off on, I think it would be a little hard to reboot, since it could never live up to the nostalgia held for the original. Besides, I dont know if it really needs one since there's nothing exceptionally remarkable about it as a sitcom that hasnt been/isnt being done now. Its not necessarily a kids show and i dont think the adult market is really there for anything longer than a few seasons. I mean hell, they're cancelling futurama and that had more potential than dinosars does.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Deathlyphil said:
How about ReBoot? It had some amazing ideas behind it, it was just a pity that it was made in the very beginning of a fully CGI cartoon. It would definitely be easy enough to update the concept.

EDIT
I think that's the first time I have ever been ninja'd. It feels... kinda nice.
I'm more inclined to just see them actually finish of the story arc they had going first.

Honestly, it was at the point where both sides decided "eff civility, it's time to end this" and gearing up to do exactly that. Both sides are ready and the resulting battleground was likely to make Michael Bay wet his pants and then...

Nothing. No more development.

(yes, I'm aware about the web comic and such. I've read it. It doesn't answer anything)

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I can't think of anything likely to be on the list next week that hasn't already had a reboot/remake in recent years. He-Man, Thundercats, Transformers, G.I. Joe. All been done, for good or ill. Some of the stuff I might put on my own list is obscure crap from the 70's you kids never even heard of. Like Superstretch and Microwoman, Jason of Star Command, Misfits of Science, Super Hero Globetrotters...

Woo! Just thought of one that should be on Bob's list next week and he'll likely feel shame at having forgotten it if it's not: Thundarr the Barbarian.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Bringing Tommy Lee Jones back in MiB was such an incredible stall. I still find it astounding just how much they decided to tread water on the sequel, almost literally resetting everything so they could rehash the same story again. It can't have been written by anyone who believed that MiB could go somewhere

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Interesting thing involving Howard the Duck. Originally in the comics he resembled Donald Duck a bit closely. Close enough that Disney took legal action and the look of the character was modified slightly. Now that Disney owns Marvel, they can go back to the original look of the character. I'm not sure if that's irony, but it sure seems like it. Kind of like how DC sued Fawcett over Captain Marvel and then later DC now owns Captain Marvel and can't get that guy to be as popular as he was before they sued. It's like if you and a friend are fighting over the last cookie so you spit on it so they don't want it any more but now you don't want it anymore either. But that's not at all related to Howard the Duck now being owned by Disney.

On another side topic, know what I'd like to see come back? Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. The 50's stories in that thing are hil-hi-ho-larious. In one issue, Jimmy matched wits with a group who's nefarious scheme was to bring beards into fashion. No really. That was their evil plan. About a third of the stories involved Superman giving Jimmy a gift of some kind of space food, because Superman acts like he's playing a dating sim with Jimmy, and despite any and all warnings explicit or implied, Jimmy will eat it with comical side effects. Ho ho, will that red headed ninny ever learn? An animated web series done in the 50's style with these weird stories would be great fun. What's not fun about a robot girl with a "speak Viking" button on her remote control?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I am not interested in a reboot of The Terminator, mostly because of my previous experience with the reboot of Total Recall. I don't think Arnold is some sort of legendary actor that can't be replaced, but lets consider for a moment who we use to replace him... If your answer is close to Colin Farrell, you are doing it wrong.

Dan W

Oct 15, 2012
piscian said:
I would expect Howard will make a cameo appearance in Guardians of the Galaxy. Additionally don't be surprised if he shows up in the currently running TMNT comicbook.
Since the Ninja Turtles are now owned by Nickelodeon, I can't imagine that we are going to see any cross over between them and any Disney owned properties.

There aren't many shows that I think would do well with a reboot, but M.A.S.K. might be a candidate. The original cartoon had some decent stories for its time. A new version with more elaborate vehicles designs/transformations could be interesting. I not sure if people would like the idea of the central villain being a terrorist organization though.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
What I love most about reboot these days is how it's become the worst possible word you could use around certain fans. If you say something about rebooting the live action Transformers movies around certain fans they will go on an epic crying fit like it was the end of the world. Somehow these sorts of fans have missed that reboots have produced some really cool stuff over the years even if every reboot doesn't hit it out of the park.

Out of Bob's list so far I'd say Gummi Bears please. I'm enough of a fan of the series that when Once Upon a Time had ogres I was bummed out that there was no Duke Igthorn to go with them.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'll be honest in saying that I'd rather see new IPs, or the continuation of existing ones (set in the future or whatever) than I would reboots. In my opinion reboots pretty much shouldn't exist at all, if you want to use an existing IP, build on it, don't re-start it. If you fear not enough people are familiar with it for it to stand without a re-introduction, then it's probably a bad idea to use it to begin with.

I'll also say that they should probably leave "Terminator" alone. The reason is simply that it succeeded by being low-IQ fodder. Basically it was a very easy concept to get one's head around, an indestructable robot, with the time travel aspects being present mostly to hint at something deeper without becoming the focus. I think "Sarah Connor" failed largely because it decided to expand on the time travel aspects, much as you would expect, and it wound up going over the head of the everyman that doesn't want to worry about who might be doing what and when. That's nerd-fodder, and not something you typically expect the mainstream to embrace, especially when you focus on it to the extent of a TV series. Time Travel has to be kept very simple for the lowest human demographic. I'd personally love to see another attempt, but right now I don't think humanity is up to the task, as horrible as that sounds.

As far as "Howard The Duck" goes, I suppose it's possible, given that one of his big schticks is to parody existing super heroes within their own universe, and incidently is arguably one of the most powerful heroes ever because of it, I could see him showing up, but only when things have gotten more established. Right now I think the Marvel movie continuity is a bit too fragile to really have an audience getting into Howard showing up with his "Iron Duck Armor"
or using "Quack Fu" to fight as well as Captain America. That is kind of the point of the character, and it's also why a stand alone movie with him by definition was going to fail from the outset, because he by definition needs other, long established heroes, to exist alongside and satirize and parody to really work.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Speaking of the recent TMNT reboot, I personally find the 2003 version to be superior but maybe that's just me...

And yeah, taking MiB back to basics could be a very solid idea if fans and producers are capable of getting past the Jay/Kay thing.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
jebara said:
Number 1 will be Freakazoid, and yes, I will shed a tear.
It would be grand.
This needs to happen, in todays social networking, always online setting it would be the most perfect thing in existence.

vid87

May 17, 2010
I just saw a replay of Terminator 2 and I realized something - Miles Dyson, the guy who supposedly helped Skynet come online, almost killed by Sarah, helps her and the others break into the lab with the tech from the first Terminator, has one of the most memorable death scenes in film history - what ever happened to his family? Does the son wonder what happened to his dad? What if when he got older he investigated and heard about Skynet coming back in T3? His mom knows everything - she saw the Terminator's true form. She wouldn't just forget about it and she'd probably have to tell him sometime what really happened. What if he became an unresolved link, like he could've prevented Judgement Day, but another Terminator got him or he died in a freak accident? That could undo EVERYTHING from T3 onwards, like a retcon that X-Men did with First Class, except it would make sense!

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I've never had any cynicism towards MARVEL translating their heroes to film, and that's why I'm not concerned about the slightly more 'out there' Guardians of the Galaxy.
But I'd genuinely be surprised if they could integrate gritty Donald Duck.

I actually think Rocket raccoon is easier. Raccoons are easy to associate with supper hero qualities like speed, aggression and espionage, unlike ducks . And aesthetically, Howard is much cartoonier. Plus (and this is just assuming since I don't know much about Howard) he has to carry his mobster motif, while Rocket raccoon is more dedicated to his Alien origin, which makes him easier to justify.

But, MARVEL has been knocking their movies out the park, so I'd definitely give Howard the benefit of the doubt if they ever announced such a thing.