The Big Picture: The Boot, Part One

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
10: Meh, I'm not that old and it looks awful.

9: Well... I don't see that working out pretty well, I mean, I love the first two films, especially the second, but the way the second finished, it ended pretty well, the sequels felt kinda forced.

8: YES!!!, I still own the Beta (yes, as in Betamax [http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Kaseta_wideo_w_systemie_Beta_ubt.jpeg/220px-Kaseta_wideo_w_systemie_Beta_ubt.jpeg], remember those?) I used to record the series!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

7: ALL OF MY YES again, but I can't see how that could work out with modern audiences, especially if they decide the CGI route.

6: Meh, as anyone else, I liked the first movie, hated the sequels and a big meh for the cartoon, it was okay, very watchable, but nothing remarkable.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I used to be a big fan of TMNT. I even liked the remake they did in the early 2000's. Maybe I should hunt this new one down.... As far as reboots, I like the idea behind most of these. Gummie Bears is my favorite. I watched some of that semi-recently. I really wanted to know more about their whole "last remnants of an ancient and powerful civilization" shtick, but the Saturday morning cartoon formula kept getting in the way.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
No Bob, it's not the Big Picture, it's HALF of the Big Picture ;)
Will be interesting to see the second half.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I somehow hope that the duck and dinosaurs don't get a reboot... though nobody would force me to watch it, so meh... the other 3 could work very well.
Though some new IPs would be great, too. I hope the success of Game of Thrones and Adventure Time means we get more new stuff. But I'm sure we'll see many reboots in the future... good and bad ones.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmWyZlW2sE
You're welcome.

I agree with most of this article, but I've never seen Dinosaurs so I couldn't offer an opinion.

One show I'd like to see rebooted is the Super Mario Bros show. There was a lot wrong with it, mostly the format; the live action bits were unnecessary (please don't haunt me, ghost of Captain Lou Albano) and it would work better without trying to stick so closely to the games.

Basically, take Adventure Time, replace Finn with Mario and Jake with Luigi, PB with Peach, Ice King with Bowser, throw in some Yoshis and you're golden. Tell me you wouldn't watch that until your eyeballs exploded, and you're a big fat liar.

Swarmcrow

Dec 11, 2008
Howard the Duck: why even bother?

Terminator: FUCK NO....just NO, Don't start given them idea Bob. The Terminator Story is done and the only thing left to tell is the story of kyle reese being sent back the past ...but unless james cameron or someone as good as james cameron is making film then is not going to work

Gummi Bears: meh.. couldn't they just show Reruns of all those awesome old Disney cartoons.. imea

Dinosaurs: this show is timeless and it has the most amazing SAD ending in the History of TV sitcoms, why make it again?

MiB: no...I have already saw I everything I wanted from the cartoon and the films never seem to get what made the first film so good... it would be just another self parody

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Here is my Reboot List. I believe it is perfect in all ways. I'm including games because, well, some of them need a reboot.

10 - DinoRiders. A war where mutants and humans fight each other on dinosaurs mounted with rocket launchers. HOW IS THIS NOT A MOVIE?!

9 - Metropolis. A silent, black & white German movie from the 30s... and easily one of the greatest, most influential movies ever made that was so forward-thinking that we're currently using technology in this movie that didn't even exist when the movie was made. Star Wars stole most of its iconic concepts directly from this movie. It has everything: sexy robot women, class warfare, romance, action, highly relevant sociopolitical themes, mad scientists... Give this thing a modern budget, get someone like Alex Proyas on it, and watch it influence movies for the NEXT 100 years.

8 - ReBoot. Someone already mentioned it, but we MUST reboot ReBoot. Imagine the possibilities with modern CG technology!... and try to forget that the original 'ground-breaking' show looks REALLY bad nowadays. Though the key problem is not technology, but rather who could ever replace Tony Jay?!

7 - Parasite Eve. Parasite Eve was a revelation on the Playstation 1 in many areas. It was a strange mix of survival horror and RPG, set in modern New York City, starring a very sexy, but tough and smartly dressed, female protagonist. It dealt with genetics, eugenics, maternity, self-identity, fate, sacrifice, madness, and duty, all wrapped up in a smart narrative with great characters... and the last game, The 3rd Birthday, absolutely BUTCHERED the original in every single way possible. Every character, every story thread, every theme, all grossly ruined in such an embarrassing fashion that a reboot that returns to the style and themes of the original is almost necessary, if only to keep THIS monstrosity from being the pathetic exit this series gets. I want my Aya Brea badass cop back...

6 - The Matrix. Like Bob's mention of Men in Black, the original Matrix movie was lauded, rightly so, for being smart, bold, and fun. How then did the sequels botch it up so badly? Rather than exploring the world OF the Matrix (they showed us Zion, I guess), it returned to the same themes of the original and focused on Neo over and over and over again when, honestly, his journey was OVER in part 1. That's why the Animatrix is so good, because it shows the world of the Matrix as seen by others. For some, they dive into programs resembling feudal Japan; others explore the rise of the machines; others explore a detective tracking down clues to reveal the truth. It was fascinating, yet the movies squandered each and every possibility to explore a bold new direction for the franchise and, well, lost their fun along the way as well.

5 - Resident Evil. This series is so unbelievably, schizophrenically broken that I feel nothing BUT a reboot can salvage it. The once king of survival horror, the series that dozens of other games aped and copied and chased after, abandoned its formula in favor of chasing after the Call of Duty and Gears of War audience. Where once they led, now they followed, and the results weren't pretty. We've had so many shoddy Resident Evil games that have no clue what they even are, all while eating up massive budgets and angering fans, that it baffles me that a reboot hasn't crossed Capcom's mind. It's simple: don't have 700 people make the game. Make a small game, perhaps in one or two big mansions, with a cast of around 3 or 4, filled with monsters and death traps, and sell the game. Watch your profits increase. You're welcome.

4 - Captain Planet. With Don Cheadle. Yes. I'm serious. Though imagine if they cast the actors who voiced them in the movie! Jeff Goldblum as Verminous Skumm? Whoopi Goldberg as Gaia? Meg Ryan as Dr. Blight? Now would would be Linka and Wheeler...

3 - Metroid. This is sort of cheating. Is "ignoring" a certain game the same as "rebooting" it if you selectively reboot? I just want Metroid: Other M gone. Entirely. From history. Eradicated. Erased. Zapped from all humanity's memory like the Men in Black mind-nullifier thingie. Having played Metroid Prime Trilogy recently, and seeing how utterly amazing it is, I want a "reboot" going right back to that point and pretending the future is bright and sunny for my favorite franchise and game heroine.

2 - Mutant League. Every sport you ever loved, only with mutants, explosions, spikes, death traps, and buckets of cartoon gore. How can you say no to that? It's like "Saw" meets "American Gladiator".

1 - Voltron. Seriously. It's 2013. What the f***. Where is this? I haven't heard "And I'll form the head" in YEARS. That's a crime against humanity.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
jebara said:
Number 1 will be Freakazoid, and yes, I will shed a tear.
Nah, Freakazoid falls under the same category as Darkwing Duck. It doesn't need a reboot, it'd just be nice to see more of it.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
1. Howard the Duck....Mmmm.... I can't say much about it since I've only glimsped at the movie.

2. Terminator? Yes, it can be done. I'd like to see Jason Momoa try the role of the Terminator. He has the build up and intensity based on his caliber. I'd be willing to forget the Conan the barbarian remake. I would like to also someone who can BE threatening while he doesn't look it at first.

3 & 4. I've never seen those shows.

5. Yes, I'd see a tv show based on your concept of MIB

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Can't say I concur with most of these ideas, but the Men in Black idea has some merit. The only problem I have with it though is that with reboots, you have to balance the baggage you bring with the franchise against the concepts and goodwill you get from it. Men in Black has plenty of baggage to drag down any reboot, and it isn't really offset by a lot of well-developed ideas from the franchise - as you said, a lot of the films focused on the J-K dynamic, not the finer details. It begs the question of whether you might just want to try a similar idea, with a new IP. But, all things considered, I think a reboot would be better than a new IP, if only slightly.

Tombfyre

Feb 7, 2008
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dinosaurs could be updated to continue messing around with modern pop culture and such in the sitcom format. If nothing else, it could likely stand out and be interesting just for the fact that we'll have more talking dinosaurs enjoying day in the life moments of prehistoric suburbia.

KazNecro

Jun 1, 2009
Regardless of Gummi Bears' good points and faults (I personally can't remember the plot of a single episode), it at least has gained my respect mainly because it was a great lead-in show to the more 'tween/young adult Gargoyles series. Thank you, Gummi Bears... thank you! :)

Soak

Sep 21, 2010
The Gummi Bears, "Game of Thrones, but with bears", so funny, i laughed so hard... and then realized, that there's more truth in it than apparent at first glance. I might really like a reboot of this!
And i totaly agree on MIB, i hoped for so much more after the first movie, even thought the animated series was ok as well but the other movies... just meh. Though, i would probably keep the wurm guys: While you could replace them with "any other" alien, i think they would be good to keep some light-hearted humor in any possible reboot, without having them to be "mandatory sidekicks" - most of the time they just hang at the MIB headquarters and sometimes participate in conversation, or even in action, that's how it was in MIB, the animated series and what they even got into the second movie as well.

For the others so far: I've seen them and i think i get your respective point and reboots might be cool, but i just care less about them.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
KubuTsukareta said:
Calling it right now:
Because MovieBob mentioned Friendship Is Magic ONCE, and only once, this thread will become the site of yet another debate between bronies and their haters. Call me a cynic.
(And my opinion is that both sides have valid points, but they express them with such blind overzealousness that the ability to take them seriously is lost. See above.)
GAH! NO! BLEH! PLEASE NO! NO DEBATES! Don't make them come out! They can smell your noises! They can hear your heartbeat!

Can't we all just passively watch what we watch without making it a warzone between haters and fans?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Trishbot said:
1 - Voltron. Seriously. It's 2013. What the f***. Where is this? I haven't heard "And I'll form the head" in YEARS. That's a crime against humanity.
I take it you didn't watch Voltron Force on Nick, did you? They had different lions forming the head, each time pulling out a different weapon. They also had the good old announcing which body part they'll form with the classic William-shatner-recovering-from-a-severe-head-injury speed!
And Bob, this is a fascinating list with interesting choices, but I point out a few things: Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles was the tits, Amazing Spider-Man is not awful and way better than Raimi's turd (rhymes with third!) one, the new TombRaider is a prequel to the other games (but should have been titled as such), and the Hannibal and Bates Motel TV shows are more like prequels to the movies.