The Big Picture: The Boot, Part Two

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Babylon 5 and Gargoyles I wouldn't mind. The rest, I never cared for, never saw, or, in the case of Harry Potter and the Simpsons, don't want in the slightest. I'd sooner watch all the Harry Potter movies than all 6 Star Wars movies, though I find it hilariously ironic that you're harping on how the former gets repetitive while ignoring that the latter is as formulaic as Shakespeare's comedies.

Oh, and for those wondering, Avengers > LOTR > Harry Potter > Star Wars > Star Trek, for AAA nerd movie marathons.

piclemaniscool

Dec 19, 2008
Yeah, I would watch the entirety of Harry Potter.

I said, I would love to.

I SAID I WOULD WATCH IT

Oh, I'm a nobody now.

That pretentious "anybody, nobody?" shtick only works when it's not a debated idea. In fact, there are many Potter get togethers. I'd wager enough to eclipse the star wars viewing parties by now. At the very least the ones that still show Episode 1.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Anything that gives me more babylon 5 - the best TV show ever made - is a good idea.

GrrWolfie

Aug 29, 2008
Babylon 5!!!! I miss that show like a frikkin' heart-ache man and it could be sooo easily picked up even with a brand new cast. After all, Babylon 5 was all about meeting new people :). Massive potential there and a story with plenty of room, awesome it made your #2 beneath your all-star favorite.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Terragent said:
You know what science fiction TV series really needs a reboot? Blake's 7. You know, the one that was actually well-written but had every episode filmed in a gravel pit because the BBC doesn't have money? The one that did the whole "nuanced characters portrayed in shades of grey" a full decade before any of the American shows that get credited with the same decisions were even greenlit? The one that Firefly basically ripped off?

Oh wait, you've probably never seen it. What a pity.
Who would play Avon? Also, while there were some awesome episodes with the final one being amazing, there were some...less than awesome ones as well. I think a reboot would be great actually. As long as the English sensibilities were kept intact.

On the video, I loathe the Goonies so anything remotely related to it I never want to see the light of day.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
piclemaniscool said:
Yeah, I would watch the entirety of Harry Potter.

I said, I would love to.

I SAID I WOULD WATCH IT

Oh, I'm a nobody now.

That pretentious "anybody, nobody?" shtick only works when it's not a debated idea. In fact, there are many Potter get togethers. I'd wager enough to eclipse the star wars viewing parties by now. At the very least the ones that still show Episode 1.
Yeah, I did a Harry Potter marathon just a few months ago. Star Wars? Maybe the original trilogy years ago. I think Bob is making the mistake of his own generation and experience extrapolated to everyone.

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
I like all your choices except The Simpsons. A couple of my own personal favorites from way back were the computer generated starship troopers show, dinoriders.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m175hmiPlf1r4hkdso1_1280.jpg

wuggles

May 3, 2013
I agree about most of them, except Harry Potter. As people have said, I feel like it would do better as a TV series or a series of prequels or sequels. Considering how much of a cultural juggernaut that Harry Potter is, rebooting it would probably be like redoing A New Hope at this point. Guaranteed to have endless comparisons to the original and also guaranteed to please nobody.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
I just found something slightly relevant to Monster Squad. SLIGHTLY

WARNING: you may be frozen in place for a few minutes after it is over.
I did say slightly right?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Wow. I haven't disagreed with Bob this much since his Sucker Punch episodes.

Harry Potter would be a collossal waste of time and money. The last movie came out less than two years ago and he wants to talk about a reboot? Good grief... Isn't it supposed to be a bad thing that Hollywood keeps rehashing the same stuff over and over again rather than coming up with some actual new ideas?

No. Potter needs to lie dormant for at least twenty years before they even think about this. If WB want to make more money out of more movies let them pester JK Rowling to write a sequel or a spin-off.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I'm generally anti-Reboot but I must say I kind of agree on B5 though I think "remake" would be a better path for them to follow really. While some people will cry heresy, B5 suffered from having some big ideas at play, that went beyond the writing abillity of JMS and the show suffered for it, in a way that goes beyond him simply being concerned about what plot lines could continue season to season due to the show's future being in constant doubt. Not to mention the fact that it had more problems than just some dodgy CGI which has aged paticularly badly today, especially to begin with, very few members of the cast could act, and some of them like Claudia Christian never seemed to quite get the knack for that acting thing even years into the series, of course I in part blame the writers for that as well as it seemed to me that they would continually step on characterization whenever it was conveinent despite the pretensions of an ongoing storyline. Now that we pretty much know the entire story of Babylon 5, what's supposed to happen, etc... planning out the entire script from episode 1 to re-tread the entire thing at a higher quality could work.... as far as rebooting it goes... I figure there is still no point because I feel that if your going to do away with enough to make a "reboot" you might as well just make an entirely new space opera TV series set on a space station from scratch without trying to attach a fairly well known name to it.

I'll also be kind of blunt in saying that making a more condensed version of "Harry Potter" would defeat the purpose as it's the depth, world building, and casual minutae that make it what it is, and cause it to stand out from other works of childrens fantasy. You remove all of that and "keep to the point" and it's not "Harry Potter" anymore, it just becomes another story about a magical kid with a destiny fighting some evil thing. It sounds silly, but the depth is why something this childish even has adults wanting to go to theme parts to immerse themselves in the world and it's details.

As far as "Gargoyles" goes, I heard a slightly differant tale of it's demise. Apparently it was conceived at a time when it was believed that there would be a niche for prime time cartoons aimed at an older audience, the same basic logic that spawned the beginnings of the "Batman" animated series which also failed. "Gargoyles" was late to a market that never materialized, got restructured a bit for "teens" and wound up having a pretty strong start, with strong writing, and a cast of then-known actors still flying fairly high on their TNG fame (Jonathan Frake & Marina Sirtis) doing voices. It's continuation was conceived for this new niche, and was nothing like the first episodes it ran with, which managed to butcher what fan base it had been putting together, namely because the original set up, as campy as it was (remember it was competing with things like Batman) was deemed a bit too dark. Incidently I'd have to do some checking but I seem to remember Gargoyles got some attention at the time for actually showing blood in a few of the episodes during fight scenes, not over the top gore, or anime-type "ulta-violence", but for example in one scene where Goliath gets nailed in the face there is some droplets of blood flying away after the blow which I seem to remember being a big deal at the time... and pretty much the kind of thing Disney didn't want to be associated with if it
wasn't fighting in a very specific arena.

As far as a reboot of Gargoyles goes? I don't really think so. It had some cool ideas, but I think it's better to just leave it where it was. That said, with the anime fad dying out it has occured to me that the market is primed for new attempts at more mature western animation on TV... a few successes like "Avatar" have helped cement the possibility, though truthfully I think it was trying a little too much to copy eastern conventions rather than being entirely it's own thing. Another show like Gargoyles wouldn't be amiss. I doubt we'll see that happen though, networks are stuck in their ways, and it seems like it's still pretty rare for there to be anything other than "kid toons" (maybe with some adult referances), or "adult swim" type fare. On the western front there also seems to be a tendency to be as stylized as possible as opposed to trying to create a sense of true internal realism, that detachment being the excuse they use (feeling they need to have one) when conveying their material.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Oh, and the Monster Squad bears more than a passing resemblance to Monster Fighters [http://monsterfighters.lego.com/en-gb/default.aspx?icmp=COUKFR11MonsterFighters], a line of LEGO sets released late last year. Except this version is set in the 30's, the human Monster Fighter team are all steampunk-cyborg people with robot prosthetics, Dracula has a hotrod hearse... It rules so hard.

Jun 23, 2008
Technically, they're grotesques.

238U[footnote]Brevity padding:

I must have been asleep, for certainly if I had been fully awake I must have noticed the approach of such a remarkable place. In the gloom the courtyard looked of considerable size, and as several dark ways led from it under great round arches, it perhaps seemed bigger than it really is. I have not yet been able to see it by daylight... I stood close to a great door, old and studded with large iron nails, and set in a projecting doorway of massive stone. I could see even in the dim light that the stone was massively carved, but that the carving had been much worn by time and weather. As I stood, the driver jumped again into his seat and shook the reins. The horses started forward, and trap and all disappeared down one of the dark openings. -- Bram Stoker, Dracula (1897)[/footnote]

James Denman

Feb 21, 2012
I was surprised that My Life as a Teenage Robot wasnt on this list, which reminded me of it, and made me go on an episode binge. Having watched it again, Im surprised moviebob has never at any point done a whole episode on the show, cause theres certainly enough there for an episode all to itself. On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone have any clue why My Life as a Teenage Robot's imdb page says its ongoing? Because Im pretty sure they stopped making episodes way back.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I don't know what Bob is talking about with Harry Potter. I loved watching the Harry Potter series back-to-back. Please believe me when I say that the pun is not intended here, I swear it isn't, but the whole experience is rather magical.

Simon Gronkvist

Apr 11, 2011
I know I am late but I am still going to say it: Harry Potter is really an all the way through mediocre franchise. I mean it had its moments as a book series (and an all-star cast in the movie series). I however was not able to relate to a single character or character development at all beyond book 3 (or understand the logic behind more than a handful of the important decision made by said characters). This is despite the fact that I was in the goldilocks age of the intended audience throughout the whole series. The world was kind of cool but now when I have read one or two good (and classic) fantasy authors I feel sorry for people who got stuck with just JKRs work and did not move on. I mean, jsut look at all the plot holes and logical fallacies, generally stupid characters and magic doing whatever the plot wants it too etc.; it should be too much to stand even for young teenagers!

Anyhow, I would love for someone to take the world of HP and just ditch every single named character from the books and make something interesting that is not a retelling of the same story with just another Chekov?s gun a bunch of times (depending on how you count it varies between 3 and 5 times). There are some fun things to investigate and some potentially intriguing journeys to have in the wizard world outside its ridiculously flawed educational system - I think...

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I think rebooting a franchise should carry a restriction: Wait for the copyright on the last instalment to expire before you reboot it.

With the current state of copyright, that basically means no more reboots until about 2150. If you can get the laws changed to something sensible, like a flat ten years from first publication, then it's a perfectly reasonable condition.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
OBJECTION!

Sort of.

I really don't think the whole Londo/G'Kar interplay could be successfully pulled off again. I mean, who could possibly do it? Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas (RIP) were just too awesome in those roles. Who could possibly top them?

On the other hand, if it could be done... it would be awesome.

Also B5 would look great with updated effects. They did a lot of those with Amigas. Imagine what could be done with some real hardware...