The Big Picture: The Boot, Part Two

Faith Meade

Mar 21, 2013
After the wildly unpredictable success of the My Little Pony reboot, it's a wonder there's not a surge of kids-show reboots going on right now. Of course, I don't think anyone expects that particular bolt of lightning to strike twice.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
The Harry Potter movies are nothing more than taking precisely one thing from every chapter in the books and rushing through scene after scene, dialog after dialog. While for the most part the movies pull them off, I think everyone agree that all sense of pacing and suspense and was thrown out the fucking window and nobody other than the main characters had any time to get some decent development.

They tried to tell the story of a entire YEARS in 2 hour movies, which was foolishness considering the length and content in the books. What pisses me off the most about the Harry Potter movies is that a lot of time is wasted on absolutely trivial things which they could've spent covering more significant events from the book.

Before someone brings up Lord Of the Rings, quite a lot of things had to be dropped from the books as well but more importantly Peter Jackson already had all 3 books sitting in front of him, ready to make the important decisions of what to keep and what to throw and create a COMPLETE package. Also Jackson wasn't afraid of making the movies 3 hours+ long (the directors cuts for the 3rd movie is 4 HOURS), he knew the meaning of meaningful pacing, suspend and dialog.

When you read a Harry Potter book, you go on a year-long journey that actually FEELS like a year and that the characters have made some significant progress and grown by the end, like they truly achieved something after a year of hard work. But the movies feel like goddamn 20 minute TV shows, the intros and endings stretched, the entire middle gutted of content, and the sole point of the movie being "how to make the end of it exiting enough to make people want to come back for the next one"? After the first and second movies I had a clear sense that things would only go downhill as the books got thicker and complex, more and more content would be skimped and the directors would have to wipe out some pretty monumental moments. E.g. from the 4th movie, the entire Quidditch World Cup match was skipped. OMFG I was pissed, that was the last HP movie I paid to watch in cinema.

Call me a novel elitist but the Harry Potter movies do NOT do justice to the source material.

Terragent

Jan 15, 2010
When said source material is frequently a horrible mess of pointless detail and wonky characterisation, that may well be a point in favour of the films. The films had to abide by restrictions that Rowling simply chose to ignore from Goblet of Fire onwards: namely, they had editors looking over the script and trying desperately to get rid of unnecessary bloat. I wouldn't talk them down too much.

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
I would really love to see a reboot of Gargoyles. This was one series I loved to watch in the nineties!
Babylon 5 could get a touch up with the CGI. Kind of what George Lucas did with the original Star Wars Trilogy. But without the inclusion of 'funny' aliens.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
To my personal shame I have never seen "Babylon V". True, I have seen an episode here and there, but that is like saying you have had a piece of cake, when you have only had a drop of frosting.

It is on my too buy list, but that list is, sadly, too long.

FlipC

Dec 11, 2008
I'm guessing Sapphire and Steel never really made it in the States. Inter-dimensional operatives loosely based on the periodic table protecting the universe from the incursions and predations of Time itself. MiB, but with more thought and less action.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Not a bad list, and I can honestly see a streamlined Harry Potter getting me into the series.

I'd love to see reboots of:

The Mask: but more in tone with the comic series, being more akin to Nightmare on Elm Street then the pseudo family friendly films we got.

Pokemon TV series: I know this will never, ever, EVER happen what with Nintendo being Nintendo. But I'd love to see the Pokemon universe reinterpreted in a somewhat more mature light, possibly even addressing some of the more questionable aspect of the world (i.e. the fact that 90% of the worlds economy seems to be based around mainstream legalized cock fighting. I want a more mature reboot not a grim and gritty.

Spawn: for me Spawn has always had a great premise (to me at least) but was hampered by the fact that the various incarnation had wildly different views on the story.... that and McFarland is a soulless sell the likes of which can only be rival by Lucas.

BloodRayen: For the BR video games I could see it work in one of two ways 1st: done as a series anime inspired "dramatic" series (Castlevania) or the 2nd) as exploitation film style homage (House of the Dead Overkill). But one firm rule Boll is not allowed anywhere near this rebooted series.

KillaBC

Feb 18, 2013
The problem with Babylon 5 was the fact it was always compared to Deep Space Nine. Warner Brothers weren't throwing enough money at it whilst DS9 was kept healthy by Paramount. The place that really shows is the CGI, DS9 secured Foundation Imaging for their effects after they were struck off by B5. The expertise and the extra funding made the battles in DS9's later seasons really shine.

I don't know really, if B5 got a reboot it would need new characters and make it set sometime after the final series so it can make new story lines and characters.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Some good points Moviebob, but...

You kinda missed the mark with Harry Potter, the movies cut a crapload of lore from the books and trying to condence everything into 'Heroes Journey' style trilogy will practically kill the story, you might as well use a new IP. It could be done as Game of Thrones style series.

While the Bablyon 5 CGI could really really use an upgrade, trying to retell the story is going to be difficult at best. That and you mentioned a 'Star Trek' style reboot, after you've flayed JJ Abrams alive.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/6763-A-Disturbance-In-The-Force

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
I doubt J.K. Rowling would allow for a HP reboot in her lifetime.

Captcha: later gator
lol..

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
I absolutely will sit down and watch every Harry Potter movie start to finish with you Bob. You tell me when and bring the beer. I'll bring my entire deluxe edition DVDs with bonus features collection.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Better list than 10-6 (of which I only saw one even remotely worth considering.

First off, I am glad to see that I am not the only one who actually shows some respect to the Simpsons. I sometimes wonder if I do purely out of my own nostalgia and given Bob supports it unfortunately it makes a stronger case that I do. However as a reboot, maybe, but I dont see it being likely. As for its end It seems that the greatest likelihood is that its end is at hand. Once the completion of the 25th season It seems like it will finally be put to rest as it looked like fox only renewed it specifically to get to the quarter century mark.

Babylon 5, I am inclined to agree. While most of it does hold up right now we are in a MASSIVE sci fi drought. Battlestar franchise has wilted and dried to a husk, Starwars has essentially been forever ruined, Stargate tried its own reboot and actually made a better product but so alienated the fanbase it is essentially credited for killing the franchise. Then, It has been almost a decade since there was a TV centric incarnation of star trek that is its foundational roots, And the Abrahms films are little more than a shimmery regurgitation. The franchise needs to go into its true future in its predominant timeline, and make the same sort of historical jump made from ToS to TNG. (killing tangent here) Look at some of the sci fi options rolling around right now. Its an incredibly desolate landscape with fantasy taking a more dominant role at the moment with most notable occurrences being more in film than television. A Babylon 5 reboot could help revitalize this as a more enduring franchise, while trying to fill the void that new IPs like Defiance have no hope to fill. However there is a certain degree of logic here that might make the most sense for this franchise to jump from TV to film for such a reboot, and if THAT can generate interest, then begin working on ideas for a full fledged tv reboot.

Gargoyles I fully agree NEEDs a full fledged reboot, but the problem is that there is absolutely no purpose to do so with Disney still in control of it. For its time it was exceptionally dark and that was in MAJOR part to Batman: TAS as its prime competitor. But if Disney were to revisit the content that darkness would ONLY be diminished thus negating much of the point. If a truly mature incarnation could exist, that would be the best thing for that franchise, but its abundantly clear Disney would not dare go that far.

Harry Potter, I do disagree with its need or even the potential benefit. Essentially the whole purpose behind the desire could be accomplished by Warner Brothers specifically doing a "Edited for TV" Streamlined version that whittles each film down to its core elements at around 45 min to 1 hour and making it ideal for things like Holiday weekend viewings for TV. 17.5 hours down to a more manageable 8 hours could accomplish ones desire for "one sitting"

Personally I do not fear reboots or retellings if they are done logically and well. They can serve logical function especially in their proper role as more filler material to help support the more important original IPs.(such as in television programming blocks)

Other things in need of a do over.

Batman Beyond - Too much potential ended up squandered

Starship Troopers - The original was phenominal for its time but the people controlling the property seem like they are bent on gutting the franchise in the worst possible way (Although Invasion was a mild bright spot)
OR
Space: Above and beyond which might have been a knock off of SST, but at the same time it doesnt have the same baggage with its pedigree.

Star Trek: Tv Series - As mentioned above

Krull - Great universe that never got anywhere near enough exploration

Edit: Have a few others eluding me atm, May update later.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
1st half i agreed with, this 2nd half not so much.

Was it just me or was anyone else thinking of a reboot of Reboot? Especially with the prevalence of the internet in our culture there could be some good ideas in there and with CGI stuff on TV getting better, why not?

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
...Lexington was gay!? I am sure I am not the only one disturbed by this. Not because I have anything against gay people, but I am not entierly sure what exactly a 'gay gargoyle' entails. ...Does that mean he likes human-men in the way Goliath clearly likes human women? See, this just gets weirder the more you think about it.

Nicole Maronn

Nov 22, 2012
Now that Bob has released the second half of his reboot list, here's my two cents:

Monster Squad: I can totally see a reboot for this film, given Hollywood's obsession with remaking anything that's over 10 years old (well, not limiting anything over the 10 year mark, but you catch my drift).

Harry Potter: No. No. NO. The series is still fairly young, given the first book was released in 1997, following by the first film adaption in 2001. Yes, I know it's over 10 years old, but I still feel giving HP a remake/reboot would be uncalled for; I'd say a stand alone TV series or mini-series would be better as it would add to the mythos instead of an all out remake/reboot.

Gargoyles: I remember watching this show growing up. It had the same tone and direction as Batman: The Animated Series (which I was more of a fan than Gargoyles at the time). So would a reboot/remake be good? I'd say bring it on, especially since I am older now and would appreciate this series a lot more than I did as a kid.

Babylon 5: I sorta remember this show being on the Sci-Fi channel years ago. Never really got into it so I'm indifferent when it comes to seeing this getting a remake/reboot.

The Simpsons: Honestly...YES! A thousand times YES! I know the show still has it's fans, but you can only race a horse for so long before age catches up to him. From what I know, there have been several attempts to try and do spin-off shows with the various characters over the years and they never got green lit (one was a Krusty the Clown show and the other was for the character Lionel Hutz that the late Phil Hartman was going to portray). A reboot would diffidently help The Simpsons, especially if it focuses on one or several of the side characters that have grown in popularity over the years.