The Big Picture: The Devil You Know - Part II

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
MB202 said:
Awesome video! I'm constantly blown away by the idea that Satan was in Animaniacs... Also, lol at Ned Flanders being Bob's favorite Devil! XD
For those of you wondering, here it is:
And much like any other antagonist on the show, the devil is really no match for them. :)

And is it wrong that the only thing I could think of when I saw the Legend clip was "That headpiece had to be rough to wear!" ?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
avouleance2nd said:
To me the best depiction has to be from Old Harry?s Game, a bbc radio series starring Andy Hamilton.
YES.

As soon as I discovered the series a few years ago, Andy Hamilton eclipsed any and all other Satans, past or future, for me.

And now I'm going to have to go listen to a few episodes of Old Harry's Game...

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
I was hoping for a more in depth explication of the comic book devil analogs.

And no Pacino? If one factors in the drop in violent crime, infant mortality, and even divorce since the 90's the movie if oddly prophetic; he WAS peaking here.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
surprisingly, one of my favorite depictions of the Satan was as Sam from Supernatural. It seemed a lot more plausible because he seemed more a complex being with moral, albeit a huge God complex( no pun intended). His mere existence and why he turned seemed to be more in the shades of gray rather than black and white.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Was always partial to Viggo Mortensen's Satan from The Prophecy:

His exchange with Christopher Walken's Gabriel later in the film is even better.

I also liked the Devil from the short-lived series Brimstone [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA_DHFQ588g&t=7m30s].

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That is the first time I had a good look at "Darkness" from Legend and bloody hell, his horns are HUGE! I mean my vision of satan does not have huge horns! As for my favourite portaryal of Satan, I guess that could be from South Park or Doctor Who and runner up would be the film This is the End and Tenacious D song Tribute.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Finally some cred for Lucifer (DC Vertigo's Lucifer, that is)!
Yeah, I'm a fan, and even though the series isn't published any longer (which I am fine with) it always brightens my day when he gets at least a mention.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Bittersteel said:
This is the best devil IMO.
[spoiler = image]
[/spoiler]

So slimy and so much fun also.
Yup, I pretty much came in here to mention this guy. He's kind of how you'd expect the devil to be after hosting hell and damnation in his backyard for an eternity or two.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The reason why pop culture has less of a problem with the devil than with other elements was because it was used a lot more as a personal demon than as THE devil. Some of the examples listed (like Tom & Jerry) does not depict that devil as THE one and only king of darkness, but as the mischievous side of the character, or as the "personal hell" version.

It is similar to the cliche trope of depicting an angelic and a devilish copy of the character sitting on each shoulder when he faces a moral dilemma. That trope became so ingrained in pop culture that, even then, no one associated it with the catholic representation.

Good choice, by the way. I totally forgot about Devil Flanders when thinking about my favorites, but he is up there... Although my personal favorite is still Al Pacino.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Damn you Bob! You used that image of Dave Grohl from Tenacious D so many times, yet you didn't even bother to mention him, despite it being one of the most explicit and funny depictions of the character.

FUCK YEAH!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
The Big D actually has appeared in Marvel Comics recently, in a Wolverine storyline in which he died and went to hell.

Comics being what they are, Logan met some family, a few other faces you wouldn't expect (Puck), suffered a lot, then climbed his way out of the flaming pit and got better. Meanwhile his body was possessed by demons and was giving hell to everyone he cared about. Now in another book, him and a few X-Men have gone the other direction and are fighting for heaven against Nightcrawler's deadbeat dad Azazel.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Actually Satan (aka First of the Fallen) and Lucifer were two different entities in the Vertigo universe. There was also and the 2nd and 3rd of the fallen but they didn't have any names. Beelzebub also occasionally shows up.

Skaven252

Apr 7, 2010
Remember Al Pacino's speech in Devil's Advocate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARp24AJWLk

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Well that was... anticlimactic. After all the historic build up in the first episode, I kinda thought Bob was going to... you know, GO somewhere with it. Instead this was just a list of devil characters in weird places. Which is... okay, I guess, but it just doesn't seem like much payoff after all that set up.

In retrospect, the first episode kinda feels like a massive disclaimer so that Bob could safely ramble about his favorite devil characters. What I was hoping for was a deeper discussion of the modern history of his depictions or how those depictions have continued to shape modern conceptions of the character.

Oh, and Bob, if you're reading this - I'd love to see you actually do an episode on the bolded text above. Maybe call it "The Devil you Don't Know"? Just an idea. ^^

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Wait... though I think Peter Stormare's is probably the best I can think of, nobody's going to mention "Randall Flagg" from The Stand!?

That Devil had an interesting style going on. Especially the seducer/bargainer thing, and people seeing him as a crow early on. Oh, and Denim. Lots of Denim, and a mullet.