The Big Picture: The Devil You Know - Part II

inidu

Nov 14, 2011
I always liked Tom Waits as the devil in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

LordVyreth

Jan 22, 2010
Speaking of the devil in old cartoons, anyone remember Peaches from Rocko's Modern Life? That was my favorite episode.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
LordLundar said:
And is it wrong that the only thing I could think of when I saw the Legend clip was "That headpiece had to be rough to wear!" ?
They say the horns were very light, but he still had to have a cable holding him up from behind.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Lots of good Satanic favorites (that was kinda weird typing that). I agree with the Constantine and Devil's Advocate ones.

Personally my favorite depiction was from Anne Rice's Memnoch book. It gave a fairly.. believable portrayal of a fallen angel.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
My favorite devil gets into more obscure Canadian TV: The Collector: a short lived drama playing of the Faustian bit of selling one's soul. The devil (played by a different actor every episode) was a right old bastard in that, not only offering the temptation, but manipulating people's lives such that they'd be in such a low point to sell their soul with no resistance. He was sadistic, machiavellian, yet not without some wisdom.

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
A bit dissapointed that nobody mentioned Gabriel Byrne. He arrives to our side of the world, and this is the first thing he does:

Say what you want about End of Days (it's an Arnie movie, after all), but this guy rocks as Mister Satan.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
My favorite devil is from Reaper.

I love this interpretation of a devil as it's a bit more the trickster god than just being evil incarnate.

Gledster

Nov 9, 2010
I've always enjoyed an amusing take on the devil and really enjoyed his portrayal in the "God, The Devil and Bob" cartoon series from the year 2000.

Kinda bumbling, with an evil streak and always in competition with God. Good stuff.

Branindain

Jul 3, 2013
While I remember Cow and Chicken (and I am Weasel) I never realised that Dr. Lackslacks was supposed to be Satan, which shows how sharp I am. As far as best devil, Al Pacino probably deserves it but I just can't vote against Tim Curry. I would so turn for that guy.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
The red guy in Cow & Chicken was explicitly NOT the Devil, though... He was just some naked red weirdo who walked around on his butt... I'm pretty sure his name is actually 'Red Naked Guy'... Momma had a chicken, Momma had a cow, damnit, I remember WAY too much about Cow & Chicken...

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I'm surprised that you didn't mention the devil in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus. That was very different and would have played into your discussion very well, as the devil did not appear as a monster, but he looked like a man.

coppah20HE

Apr 8, 2011
Trishbot said:
coppah20HE said:
I'm still amazed that there are people who actually think Satan is real.

Guess thats what happens when you grow up in a secular country. :p
I guess you could argue that since EVIL is most definitely "real", and Satan is the personification of "evil", that Satan is real, even just in a moral, psychological, or implicit sense. If Satan IS evil, and evil does exist, than Satan exists, or at least how the phrasing goes.

Granted, where "evil" originates from is another thing to speculate upon. No man is born hating another, and yet our society is filled with hate. "Satan" is a go-to answer for the "source" of it, a shorthand. Satan, either in actuality or mere concept, is basically akin to "Mother Nature" in terms of what he/it is and represents. Mother Nature may not be "real", but it's simple an anthropomorphism of nature, just as Satan is the anthropomorphism of the concept of evil.

... That's way too high-brow. My brain wants to go back to the child-scarring Hell scene from All Dogs Go To Heaven now.
Well like I said, I'm from a mostly secular country. When I envision "Evil" I picture the vile and wrongful acts committed by an individual, caused by ethical flaws in ones personality, not by the manifestation of a supernatural being.
If you told me to picture "Evil", I would picture Hitler, rather than "Satan".

Probably cause the first time I experienced "Satan" and religion, was in primary school, from an episode of South Park :p

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Something other than Satan? But, to quote my ex's mother, it's on the internet so it has to be the devil... that family was insane.

Always love the Big Picture, never know what I'm going to see.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
The Nostalgia Critic already covered the Fantasia issue (paraphrasing):

"Oh yeah, that's not the devil at all. It's just an evil monster with glowing eyes and pointed horns engulfed in fire who brings the dead back to life only to kill them again. THAT'S THE DEVIL. I don't care what you call him, churnbutter or chipchippy whatever, it's the devil. DEVIL.

RanceJustice

Feb 25, 2011
While I'm here, I wanted to refer everyone to what is probably a little know, but greatly enjoyable (at least to me) tale of a "tempter devil" that was written as an incident report from the SCP Foundation. Here's the link. http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-738

I especially enjoy the last experimental report...

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
LordLundar said:
That was pretty entertaining. I may have see more episode of animaniacs.
I vaguely recall seeing animaniacs when I was younger but I don't remember any of it. From what see in that episode there humor for adults which should make entertaining to watching some other animaniacs episode.