The Big Picture: The King of Meh-Sters?

danimal1384

Sep 18, 2007
I own all 28 Godzilla movies. I watch them somewhat regularly. I know these movies so well that I created a drinking game for the franchise, with rules like "Actor from previous movie playing a different role". I own books, I have posters in my apartment. Hell, I have a PhD in Kaijuology. So I know my Godzilla. I personally am really excited for this movie. I love the cheesy Godzilla, but I've always preferred Godzilla when he's at best, Chaotic Neutral. I think that while campy Godzilla is what made him popular, there is room for a new gritty Godzilla movie. Since, as Bob pointed out, it hasn't been done since 1984, if you consider that dark. If not, than the 1954 original is the last time it's been done. It's Hollywood's thing right now to try and "Nolan" a franchise, and I think it could work for Godzilla, unlike the DC universe. I'm looking forward to the movie, and I hope it does well

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I does look like something worth seeing. I've always liked Godzilla and most of the other monsters (except Jet Jaguar.) and I'm pumped for something related to Godzilla. It's American, so I know it won't be a crazy ride like Final Wars. I mean, come on, that movie combined all of Godzilla, the cool ships from Mighty Jack, and ninja-alien-epcot stuff.

Maybe this might also prompt Toho to finally make Godzilla vs. Gamera. There is no way that they can't get the license of that turtle.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
danimal1384 said:
I own all 28 Godzilla movies. I watch them somewhat regularly. I know these movies so well that I created a drinking game for the franchise, with rules like "Actor from previous movie playing a different role". I own books, I have posters in my apartment. Hell, I have a PhD in Kaijuology. So I know my Godzilla. I personally am really excited for this movie. I love the cheesy Godzilla, but I've always preferred Godzilla when he's at best, Chaotic Neutral. I think that while campy Godzilla is what made him popular, there is room for a new gritty Godzilla movie. Since, as Bob pointed out, it hasn't been done since 1984, if you consider that dark. If not, than the 1954 original is the last time it's been done. It's Hollywood's thing right now to try and "Nolan" a franchise, and I think it could work for Godzilla, unlike the DC universe. I'm looking forward to the movie, and I hope it does well
Chaotic neutral, like what movies? because my experience was mainly restricted to the millennium era movies like Final Wars.

Regardless, this godzilla looks like it doesn't have agency like what I'm familiar with. I hope this is good but I'm holding my breath

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
For me it usually has a lot to do with how much prior interest and most important, how much faith I have in a product, Godzilla? Never been a fan of the movies, and there's really nothing about it that grips me. New Star Wars movies? Saw the Star Trek reboot made by the same director, I do not have particularly high hopes, the trailer for the newest season of Clone Wars though has made it really difficult to wait a week

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Hutzpah Chicken said:
I does look like something worth seeing. I've always liked Godzilla and most of the other monsters (except Jet Jaguar.) and I'm pumped for something related to Godzilla. It's American, so I know it won't be a crazy ride like Final Wars. I mean, come on, that movie combined all of Godzilla, the cool ships from Mighty Jack, and ninja-alien-epcot stuff.

Maybe this might also prompt Toho to finally make Godzilla vs. Gamera. There is no way that they can't get the license of that turtle.
why can't they make a crazy ride version of Godzilla in America because Pacific Rim managed to get that feel well. Would it be because Warner brothers couldn't get permission to make the other monsters like Mothra, MechaGodzilla, King Ghidorah and the like. I would certainly argue that it would make it a great competitor against Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Namewithheld

Apr 30, 2008
Man, that trailer got me REALLY pumped up...

...to get my copy of Pacific Rim and watch it again.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Izanagi009 said:
Hutzpah Chicken said:

why can't they make a crazy ride version of Godzilla in America because Pacific Rim managed to get that feel well. Would it be because Warner brothers couldn't get permission to make the other monsters like Mothra, MechaGodzilla, King Ghidorah and the like. I would certainly argue that it would make it a great competitor against Transformers: Age of Extinction.
Uhh, I'm not sure if those are questions, but that's not important right now. Warner Brothers probably could do the same thing, but this movie (based on the trailer, mind you) looks like its about humanity battling the giant monster that is Godzilla. They could pull a big surprise though and have giant monster battles. That'd be cool and unexpected!

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Avaholic03 said:
I think the inclusion of "Heisenberg" in the movie is what's making me cynical about it. Not that Bryan Cranston is a bad actor, I just don't think his acting style works for a monster movie (at either end of the specturm...Malcolm in the Middle Bryan Cranston would be equally bad for that role). I think he was only brought in to capitalize on the success of Breaking Bad.
What about Power Rangers Bryan Cranston, seems right up his ally...

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Hutzpah Chicken said:
Izanagi009 said:
Hutzpah Chicken said:

Uhh, I'm not sure if those are questions, but that's not important right now. Warner Brothers probably could do the same thing, but this movie (based on the trailer, mind you) looks like its about humanity battling the giant monster that is Godzilla. They could pull a big surprise though and have giant monster battles. That'd be cool and unexpected!
Yeah but I still don't see a nuclear breath or fairies or magic bones (okay, those last two would be problematic). This just feels grim, I want my blood pumped like when Godzilla throws his imitation into the Sidney Opera House and kills it with nuclear breath

That's awesome, seeing godzilla just walk through a city and wreak shit is not.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Yeah, when I first saw this trailer it took until the end for me to work out what it was about, I thought it was effective though.

Also, a side point but unless you learned to walk years later than usual, I very much doubt you remember learning to walk Bob. First walking usually comes around the age of 1, whereas first permanent memories tend to be around the age of 3.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
Hutzpah Chicken said:
Izanagi009 said:
Hutzpah Chicken said:

Monster fights were confirmed a while ago, but the monsters are all original creations.

OT: Bob says he "knows his Godzilla," but doesn't seem to know that the original isn't the only "dark" film in the series.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
I was worried bob, i was worried you were gonna delve deep into a "all the godzilla's aren't good when it's not godzilla" (though not unjustified in some cases for the series as a whole but I generally like all of it) but you swerved me in a good way bob. I am pretty much the same way it looks good...but I worry it will be too dark....plus that one weird looking thing in the trailer that looks like some sort of beehive/egg form makes me worried.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I wouldn't blame the lack of monsters in Monsters on the director. I blame to $15,000 budget.

I would also consider myself a die hard age old Godzilla fan and agree entirely on Destroy All Monsters. Why the Angry Video Game Nerd put it down on his monster movie series, I'll never know. However I am "pumped" for this film as it will be refreshing to go back to the tone of the original.

BUT!!! there may also be other monsters in the mix if the rumors are true.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'm stoked for this film, Godzilla AND Ken Watanabe, oh Japan, you do spoil me so.

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
Izanagi009 said:
Yeah, I have a bit of difficulty getting hyped (although hearing the signature roar does bring back fond memories)

Part of it is because of how Godzilla is actually like in the movies. From what I remember, Godzilla was always either awakened because of some folly of man or because of another monster. Godzilla to me always felt like it had some sort of higher agency especially during that one mechagodzilla episode when they used godzilla bone's to make the base structure of their mechagodzilla.

Here, it seems just like a natural disaster with no agency and only rampaging and destroying. Maybe the angle is that it's a reflection of the bikini atoll tests but I just don't think this will wow me like Final Wars.

Edit: I just realized something, if they don't have a nuclear breath on Godzilla, I will be pissed to all hell
Just like to point out in the trailer in one of the scenes with jets falling out of the sky when the camera looks up, pause the video. Did you see it, there is clealry a siloute of something, something with wings diving down, combined with a movie synopsis given somewhere (don't have a source sorry) it mentions godzilla fighting other monsters. Also one of the characters says 'they'll send us back to the stone age' it looks like we will get a monster brawl with humanity caught in the middle.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Oh Bob. It's nothing to worry about. Your just getting old. We all reach that age where things that used to give us a boner don't always "reaches the parts it should".... Same goes for actually getting a boner. "No baby, there's nothing wrong... It's just been a long day and I'm tired that's all. Honest."

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Evonisia said:
Overexposure is quite the killer, isn't it? It looks like you're feeling the same way with grim and depressing movies as Jim and Yahtzee seem to be with overly linear schizophrenic modern military shooters.

Oh well, I'm sure it won't be a Man of Steel thing where you either kinda liked it or hated it because every thought rotted one's mind (an opinion you seem to share with Nostalgia Chick).
I totally am on the same over-exposure boat. I also think it's going to be the main reason (predictively) that Guardians of the Galaxy will do really well. Some could say there are too many comic book movies out now and while the Marvel ones are the most comic-ey, they still have a very serious action tone to them. Guardians looks to break the mold and give people a group pf goofballs and misfits, and while there will still be plenty of action they seem to be giving up all pretense and just going all out with the camp.

As far as the Godzilla trailer, I agree and feel with Bob's assessment, but put forward the actual reason for not getting more hyped: there's nothing special here. Every single piece of this trailer has been done before countless times. Grim voice over, check. 80% mood-lighting, check. Shots of footsteps, check. Glint of monster's head cutting to title screen, check. It's a solid trailer, but there's nothing outstanding about it. The movie may be solid, but the trailer is pretty standard fair. When I saw the trailer the first time in theatres I was super stoked because I love Godzilla and monster movies, but I don't get the same feeling rewatching it - I was excited for the idea of Godzilla, not what they showed me. The Avengers trailer on the other hand is still great to watch, even after seeing the full movie multiple times.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm right there with you, Bob. I love Godzilla, and all Kaiju (I grew up as more of a Gamera fan since my introduction to Kaiju films was MST3k) and I really want to see this, and I want it to be good

...but yeah, that trailer has me slightly uneasy. It really does seem like they're going for the grimdark approach on this, which doesn't really fit in with what Godzilla is supposed to be about, and I'm also slightly worried that this once again looks like Godzilla vs. The US Military, which was kinda one of the big problems I had with the Zilla movie.

Even the bad Godzilla movies like Godzilla vs. Megalon or that one with Gabara or hell, even Zilla I've always felt can be enjoyed from a camp perspective. Even if they were bad they still had some fun silliness to them.

But if they try super hard to make Godzilla super serious and fail...it's gonna fail hard.

I still want to see this, and I still really want it to be good...I'm just kinda bracing myself. It is a little difficult with what we've got right now to jump into this as excitedly as I am for other stuff.