The Big Picture: The New Originals

Phantom2290

Dec 14, 2009
I'm gonna be honest its Giant robots vs giant monsters. I don't need any reason more than that to see it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yay!
At worlds end looks awesome!
Also going to see this since I first saw the trailer.

What was messy about Man of Steel thou?
I enjoyed it quite a bit and didn't find it "messy"?? o_O

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
You sold me on this movie when you said Del Toro is directing the movie. Before that I really didn't pay any attention to the movie at all. Didn't watch any trailers, or seen any press.

However I will support the movie for one fact. I want a certain rated R film Del Toro wants to get made. "At the Mountains of Madness". A true Lovecraftian story addapted to film. With the visionary director behind Pan's Labyrinth, and Hellboy 2(Say what you want about this movie but the Troll Market was just amazing. Even though it was a meh filler movie.) I would just have to see this movie for how he portrays the monsters.

So if by supporting this movie has just a chance to green light that movie then I'm on board to seeing Pacific Rim. Who knows I might actually enjoy this movie too.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Sigh... I am still quite wary of this movie. Something tells me that this is going to get the Mecha genre completely wrong - and that something is what I have read in terms of opinions so far. Mecha is about the pilots' struggle against themselves much more than about giant robots fighting an external threat (see "08th MS Team" for a great example that is not Evangelion-like silly, or read the book Mecha Corps - it's not too well written, but has pretty good characters). It is about coping with the responsibility, about personal issues and how they must be overcome. The characters don't seem like they can support that.

Edit: Also, I didn't really like any of Del Toros movies so far. But honestly, that doesn't bar him from making one that I would like.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
This movie does interest me, as when I saw the trailer, my first thought was there would be a new Godzilla movie. Then I saw that it looks like a good combo of Gundam and Godzilla, so even if it's straight ass, I'd probably still enjoy it.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Well, I shall certainly be seeing Pacific Rim, as IMO it is this years big movie. Something bold and different and more importantly something original. Seeing as we may never see Evangelion like this way, this is the next best thing.

I do agree that much of Hollywood is losing much of its imagination, that's why its leaning much more of comic books and novels for influence and adaptions. Over the last few years, it also seems that much of the better imagination and creativity has gone into original tv shows than movies, so its good to see movies raise their game.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I could be cynical but I guess I wont sincce this seems to be viewed positively, but to me this isnt really original (seeing giant robots fighting something of equal size or just monsters is something that's been seen in the anime world enough time its its own genre). I mean, I like the idea behind it and yeah its better tahn sitting through just sequels and remakes (not that i'm disappointed there's a carrie remake, its been a while since the property's been touched and im looking forward to an updated take on it especially if the director is good. Hell I and probably other king fans would enjoy seeing more of his old stuff revisited [third times the charm for 'salem's lot eh? and you cant tell me a dark tower series wouldnt make mad bank]), but I just dont see it as that big original story and savior of hollywood ideals some people seem to be making it. its just a movie about big robots fighting big monsters and one of those "lets just give the nerds what they want cause the big bang theory and (almost) all our marvel commic book movies are doing well" things that hollywood is trying investing into as the culture changes. Still something I'm willing to go see, but not something i'm going to hold on a pedestal.

... besides, whenever someone complains to me about originality I'm always reminded about a quote a friend told me second hand that went something like there's only five real basic stories in all of history and everything i just putting a spin on one those.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
You just listed four of my most anticipated movies!

Pacific Rim
Elysium
Only God Forgives
The Worlds End

So yeah...I definitely agree with this! I have the skeleton of an original screenplay (actually I have 2 different ideas) in my head. I just need the time and motivation to put it onto paper...stupid university sapping my creative energy.

James White

Sep 15, 2010
Huh. And I was planning to see this because a cast that includes Ron Perlman and Idris Elba are going to be making a live action version of Godannar....unfortunately with less TnA. But hey, nothing is perfect.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Guys Pacific Rim is not Evangelion. It's clearly XCOM Terror From the Deep

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
The spin-offs/rip offs for Pacific Rim might just be more interesting than the actual movie, will be worth watching. One critic complained that there was "not enough sympathy for the monsters" that you get from traditional Kaiju movies.

Also this seems to be a good outcome from the aborted Hollywood remakes of Evangelion. I wish they would END THE SERIES and not keep trying to re-jig it after all this time.

I did buy the three box sets of Godzilla movies, the only one I could not watch was the kid's movie. Some of them are a lot more brutal than you would expect. In the Terror of Mechagodzilla, Godzilla gets his arse kicked and in Godzilla vs. Destroyah there is an erie premonition of Fukishima when Godzilla attacks a power plant from the sea.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Anyone else betting that there probably will be another spidey reboot in the 2020's? :p

Anyway I have a gut feeling I will end up seeing this film regardless of the reviews(my friends don't pay as much attention to them as I do) but if the decision was entirely up to me I would like to see the reviews first. Take unknown chances is ok but I generally try to avoid them whenever possible. So here's looking forward to tomorrow's ETTM.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Sad to say, I'm not wholly interested in Pacific Rim, not because it's new or "foreign" but because, original or not, it looks like another brainless action-fest. Yes something can be "new" and "original", but that doesn't mean it can't be just as derivative or empty as an adaptation.

On that note, I'm surprised Bob has been going on about "support original stuff" and hasn't said jack about "Now You See Me." It wasn't the best thing I ever saw (frankly the "unknown benefactor" mystery was for me the sole point of interest in an otherwise mess of pointless CG and underutilized talent) but that premise - bank-robbing magicians - sure as hell isn't anything I've ever heard of and it's become a sleeper-hit: I'm pretty sure it's hit the 100 mil point. Where was praise for that? Certainly "Purge" falls in the same category and I half-suspect it was the premise that made that a success, even if it turned out that it sucked.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Wait, if it's based on a manga or anime - isn't that kind of like adapting a comic book?
It's Japanese comics, but that's just anticipating the depletion of American IPs to buy up.
Think about it: A minority in the west reads manga/watches anime. So, even any old, trodden out storyline of that genre will effortlessly seem new and fresh to this here audiences.

Chloe Berg

Nov 18, 2009
Support original movies? Never. I'll support GOOD movies, no matter where they're from. (And this looks good, I'm probably gonna see it tomorrow). Because it looks cool, not because it's an "original" film (whatever the hell that means - the idea itself is nothing new).