The Big Picture: The Other Street Fighter

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Still not as crazy as the scene in City Hunter where Jackie Chan gets thrown into a Street Fighter machine and starts imagining everyone as Street Fighter characters.

And yes, that was Jackie Chan dressed up as E. Honda and Chun Li.
Damn you. Beat me to it!

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
WAITWAITWAITWAIT... I have seen thousands of movies... but i somehow missed this?

TO THE ILLEGAL DOW... umm.... i mean... Let's see if i can find this somewhere.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
Okysho said:
this is still the best street fighter tribute ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Psls1ngwM
yea I was wondering why didnt bob mention that scene where jackie chan crossdresses as the girl fighter...

serously though that movie is on crack or somthing lol

Chiefwakka

Mar 18, 2009
Sounds like a movie you could laugh your butt off too, especially if you were a little tipsy before watching it :)

NaramSuen

Jun 8, 2010
I always appreciate these videos Bob, but I have a small criticism. I don't think it is accurate to categorize Dicky Cheung as a Taiwanese TV star. He was born in Hong Kong, got his start in the entertainment business there and currently lives in Shanghai. Arguably he is most famous for his portrayal of Sun Wukong the Monkey King in the 1996 production of Journey to the West, which was made in Hong Kong. While he continues to enjoy popularity here, he only lived in Taiwan for four years and his major TV shows produced during that time were Taiwanese/Hong Kong co-productions. The term Taiwanese star is usually reserved for a person who comes from or first achieved fame in Taiwan.

reallycoolusername

Nov 18, 2010
Okay when bob first started digressing for long periods of time in these things i was into it. i liked that he backed up his opinions with obscure references.

but for the last two episodes its been less of "this is my opinion" and more of "how weird is this".

I do agree that this is strange but it serves no purpose other than to poke fun at itself unlike the spiderman and xmen episodes that used the digression to get at a real purpose.

i guess what im saying is PLEASE dont make this a habbit. its cool for a few episodes but not all of them.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Unfortunately, while 'they' keep on licensing video games for movies, they then get cold feet, thinking 'oh hell, we've just paid $10 million for the rights, what if only gamers come to see the movie?', forgetting that over a third of the US are gamers in some way, and then decide they have to make a movie suitable for non gamers that won't be too strange. that people won't need prior knowledge to enjoy.

This leads to 'The Legend of Chun Li' which no-one needed any SF knowledge to enjoy, just a frontal lobotomy.

Seriously tho, I quite enjoyed the Van Damme SF, Zangief was such a lovable dummy in that :)

The 5 minute section in City Hunter was better than all of 'Chun Li' combined however.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I like Street Fighter...so out of respect for it...

I've NEVER watched any of those movies.

But Future Cops is something that just makes me WTF.
The Street Fighter II Animated Movie is seriously awesome, it shows Hollywood and everybody else how to do a game movie and they never listened.

I've always liked the V series as well, but it's nowhere near as solid as the film and fans would nitpick it.

The Van Damme movie is hilarious and can be watched for entertainment and mock potential.

Chun-Li movie however is absolutely terrible in every way and made people appreciate the Van Damme version.

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Did... Did Goku shout "Fatty the Bomb" when he fired off a Ki blast?? :O HAH! Well okay then. That sounds like a wonderful tag line. :)

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
But it's Wong Jing!

Also Jackie Chan in City Hunter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Psls1ngwM

GALA GALA HAPPY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXgr5nVX5w

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Well... honestly, after seeing what passes for mainstream cinema in China (not that 让子弹飞 is a bad movie, but WEIRD it certainly is), nothing surprises me anymore.