The Big Picture: The Terrible Twenty Films of 2014 Part 1

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, Maleficent in the top 10? Sure Robocop, TNMT and Amazing Spider-man 2 I can get but Maleficent isn't that bad!
I thought that as well, but after watching NC's Disneycember video on Maleficent, yeah people were right when they said it's shit, plus Wicked already did the whole "main villain not as bad as everyone thinks" thing and a lot better too

KazeAizen said:
I think its safe to say The Amazing Spider-man 2 will be at the top.
I don't know, I remember him calling TMNT the worst film of the year by also putting emphasis that it came out the same year as ASM2. Plus there's also the disappointment factor as well when Bob made the mistake of giving Michael Bay the benefit of the doubt in the Big Picture a week before the film came out.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Putting Interstellar in your bottom 20 makes up for not putting Birdman in your top 10

You're my hero now

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Well of the nine films I thought would be in your worst ten so far I have four, so lets see if my remaining five enter into your final ten.

DeaDRabbiT

Sep 25, 2010
piscian said:
Omey said:
Does this really need a two part episode when there are a lot more important things we want bob to talk about?
No I think a statement like that would only jinx us into getting more of his childish vitriol. I'll take a movie list over that any day.

I don't know bob I'm sure I could come up with 20 movies this year that were easily worse than Interstellar. I 100% agree the 3rd act of Interstellar was a bit hodgepodge, but if someone asked me to go see it again today I'd go. The movie is amazing. The "twist" was just poorly executed. In fact what I really loved was the epilogue. I loved how it was treated and how it looked.

I was sitting in a huge IMAX thankfully when I saw it and the flight through the blackhole was worth the price of admission.
Wait wait wait wait wait. I don't plan on watching this video, but are you telling me that Interstellar made the 20 worst films cut?

That's ridiculous. I don't even need to watch to know that this is 20 videos that "didn't live up to someones unrealistic expectations"

I kind of pity some movie going folk. The ones that are so jaded by their own preferences that almost nothing is enjoyable anymore.

Hell I know if I myself still had the same sort of "go to" interests in/expectations of films, Magic Mike would have never became one of my favorite movies.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Amaror said:
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, Maleficent in the top 10? Sure Robocop, TNMT and Amazing Spider-man 2 I can get but Maleficent isn't that bad!
Bob seemed to like Maleficent, what makes you think it will be in the top 10 worst movies?
I only assume so because it was not feature in today episode nor was it at the top 10 best films of 2014. If he doesn't show it in next week then I guess it was in the "ok" piles.
There were quite a few movies he reviewed that he said were good or great that didn't make the Top 10 good films list. I think Maleficent and Lucy are safe even if the so-called (Bob called) "pretty good" Godzilla ended up on here.

OT: Eva Green was in 300: Rise of an Empire, and that was awesome. I can't guess the contents of the Top 10, even if think certain films like The Fault in Our Stars and The Babadook are certainly worse than they are made out to be. That's me being petty though since they were among the very few films I would call bad that I watched this year.

Edit: Can somebody tell me what's so good about The Conjuring? I thought it was pretty bland on the whole. Then again as mentioned I don't like The Babadook at all beyond so-bad-it's-good syndrome so I must be mad with these horror flicks.

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
Twenty? Ho boy, this is going to be fun.

20: Huh. I haven't seen this one, so I can't judge quite yet. But on principle I don't know if I'd put Interstellar here, just cause I can't see it being a "bad film," just middling. Then again, your opinion of the movie is my opinion of How To Train Your Dragon 2 - aims high, falls hard - and I keep debating about whether I'd put that movie into a bad list or not.

19: I wouldn't have been as kind as you on this one, Bob. When your way of introducing your "hero" of the movie, Godzilla, is to have him inadvertently drown hundreds of innocent people, you've already lost me. It's hard to root for someone who might kill me in the process of saving me. I call it the Man-of-Steel-Syndrome. This movie pretty much failed all around.

18: Haven't seen it. But the reviews are scathing. I think I'll skip it.

17: Yeah, also skipping this one. To hell with Frank Miller, seriously.

16: LOL. Just LOL.

15: Horror movies really kinda sucked this year for the most part, didn't they? I think Oculus was the only new one that made a positive impression on me.

14: Skipping it.

13: Skipping it.

12: Not a surprise you included this one here.

11: "Pointless" is the word that comes to mind on this one. "Dollars" is the other one.

Well, that was fairly painless. Next week should be better, though.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
Bob and I seem to have the complete opposite opinions of Snowpiercer and Interstellar. I hated Snowpiercer but loved Interstellar lol.

wswordsmen

Mar 27, 2009
KazeAizen said:
Earthfield said:
Man, I forgot about half of them, but somehow I feel I already know the next ten batch.
I know what is going to be at the top for damn sure. A certain red and blue spider themed super hero.
It isn't hard considering it is almost impossible to write a more negative review, if you were trying. Whether or not it was exaggeration it is hard to condemn something more than "I love my job but this made me want to quit".

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
RatGouf said:
when Bob is doing another part 2 rant on why he hates Kevin Smith or whatever.
It's not so much hate then disappointment. And a bit (or a lot) of fear. Kevin Smith has a broad and common background, which shares a lot with Bobs and a lot of movie critics want to make movies themself at some time. Mr. Smith in that regard looks almost like an "If you try, this could happen" example. Like someone said in this thread, he seems to have peaked with his first or second production.

It's like his career showed: Hey Geek, you may have one good idea, but you burn it one your first try anyway.

daibakuha

Aug 27, 2012
I actually agree about Interstellar, the first half is super rough, the second half tries to be emotionally resonant but the script just isn't there.

I just like I was being preached to the entire time. I agree with the film's message, I just don't like it getting to near propaganda levels and would appreciate some subtlety.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I think both Ridley Scott and Christopher Nolan's missteps this year are because they aren't directing in a style they are good at directing. Interstellar seems to have the bones of a great movie, but major choices in the production of the movie hurt it for me and the biggest one is the audio and no matter how much they want to justify their reasoning its really hard for me to enjoy a movie where you cannot understand what is being said by the actors. It reminds me a lot of the other Christopher Nolan movie that I really don't like with Dark Knight Rises. It also has great bones but covering Tom Hardy's mouth and then needing to dub his lines hurt my experience watching it for each time he spoke it took me out of the movie.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
josemlopes said:
I still dont get what was so interesting about the scientist in Godzilla, he never did anything more then the other characters and his knowladge and connection to Godzilla was rather basic.

While I also dont think anyone performed bad in Sin City 2, the best performance for me was from Ray Liotta. That movie just didnt seem to go anywhere and didnt know what was trying to tell as opposed to Sin City 1.
I think it's just that Dr. Serizawa was conceptually more interesting than the role he was given.

He's a lead scientist in a shadowy multinational organization tasked with researching and containing the threat of giant monsters.
There's so much that could have been done with that concept.

For my money the story would have been better served by pairing up and focusing more on Dr. Serizawa and Brody Sr. (Cranston) as they formulate their plans to stop the MUTO.

Instead we're just watching a generic soldier as he stumbles his way across country not really effecting the plot in any significant way.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This is different. Usually lists are just ten. I'm liking the jump to twenty. I hope it doesn't become a thing because that would just be too much, but this is a nice change of pace. I'm on board.

The Amazing Spider-man 2, Transformers 3 (that came out this year, right?), and TMNT. One of those has got to be number one.

Personally, I'm betting on TMNT. It was the worst movie for me this year anyway.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
ornjoos said:
My guess for the top worst (in no order)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Transcendence
Robocop
Divergent
The Fault In Our Stars
Winter's Tale
Any of those shitty Christian movies to come out earlier (Son of God, I Origins, Left Behind, Heaven Is For Real, take your pick)
That's a pretty good list. I'd totally forgotten about Winter's Tale, that was amazingly bad!

I'd add in "Leprechaun: Origins" as it's a joyless reboot of the kind of campy fun horror B movie that Bob is the patron saint of. Also possibly "Ouija" although it may be too forgettable for even a bottom ten list.

Out of the Christian films "Heaven is for Real" was in this video so won't be in the bottom 10 and I reckon "I, Origins" is a very likely bet for it's smugness alone.

I don't know why so many people seem to think Maleficent will be in the bottom 10. He didn't hate it, he criticized it for being a bit structurally messy but never really said it was bad. He also praised it's revisionist bravery so it'd be an odd move to then call it one of the worst films of the year.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I really don't understand Bobs insatiable hatred for Nolan, or Interstellar. I understand it's a little bit more complicated then what he's used to, and it doesn't have the pretty colors of Guardians of the Galaxy, but one of the worst films of the year? I don't think so. His dislike seems almost personal.

It had a somewhat weak third act, but all things considered, it was my favorite film of the year.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Mr.Evil said:
Twenty? Ho boy, this is going to be fun.

Snip

17: Yeah, also skipping this one. To hell with Frank Miller, seriously.

snip.
Eva Green.

Really.. it's pretty much worth it..