The Big Picture: There Will Never Be Another Watchmen

Scooter65

Feb 8, 2011
I cannot believe all of the people who are saying they like the movie ending better. The ending of the book is more jarring, more disorienting, more appropriate, more memorable, more thought out, and it works WAY better in regards to the characterization of Dr. Manhattan and Veidt.

Watchmen needs the giant squid. It just does. The movie ending is frankly terrible, and is an un-removable stain on an otherwise half way decent film. I could honestly write an entire term paper on why the ending should have been retained, But I am aware that this is just a comment section, and I personally find it obnoxious when I have to read 10 pages of information on why Knuckles the Echidna is "more rad" than Sonic the Hedgehog.

honeybakedham

Sep 29, 2009
Tipsy Giant said:
I thought the movie was great, but that the chump they hired to select the music picked every cliched track in the world, making important scenes seem comical, i'd love a version without them so I could edit in my own choices, couldn't be worse!
It's subjective of course, but I wouldn't use the word "cliched"... Instead, I'd say archetypal.

I think it would be a bad choice to choose deep cuts off of lesser known albums. The soundtrack was intended to evoke the era.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I'm also for the movie ending. I mean, the book ending relied on psychics existing, and being understood so well that their powers can just be duplicated and precisely tuned with science. This despite not a single psychic character appearing in the book aside from one line about an unknown self-proclaimed psychic corpse in the suplementary material between the chapters, and the whole point of the story thus far being that no one except Dr Manhattan has super powers. Which means the new ending made a lot more sense to me.

Though I'll admit the gory results in the book, affecting sidecharacters we knew, had a lot more impact than the clean movie version with character we don't know. What I don't get was why we didn't get to see it from the perspective of the first Night Owl. In the book, he was already dead, but that scene was cut from the movie. So he could have given us a character we knew and who, storywise, was supposed to die anyway, to make the ending more personal. Don't know why they didn't do that.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Its funny that DC are marketing this as being creative on their part. I don't know who else here reads the Source but Dan Didio (or however you say it) claims that they need to do this to make the characters still relevant.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The artists working on the prequels are the only reason why I would be interested, but I still probably not going to be touching them.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
blech, prequels rarely do anything for me, even original creator backed prequels. I just can't muster the excitement to read about shit that happened 'before', I'd actually be more excited for a full on sequel. To see where this world went after giant-stupid-faux-space-squid (it also amazes me that some folks think this could have been translated successfully into the film).

They very well might suck, but oh well. Doesn't change the original Watchmen at any rate. That book is finished, set in stone. Shitty sequels/prequels only tarnish the original works if you choose to let them.

Moviebob, one thing. I'm all for people recycling old ideas and archetypes to tell new stories. This goes for many things, music, art, we don't create in a vacuum. Some of the greatest stories in history are stories with characters and settings directly taken from other creators (not stolen, because I believe 'stolen' implies a negative judgement). But motivation plays a factor. If I wanted to get on the morally-superior horse about this whole thing (I don't by the by) I could, and it wouldn't be hypocritical. Because the motivations of Moore and DC for utilizing characters that they didn't create are (probably) two VERY DIFFERENT THINGS. Small nitpick.

Diane Miller

Jul 2, 2011
Would this be a bad time to point out that I was expressing an opinion, and that it's possible for two people of good conscience to have different opinions without either of them being right or wrong, good or bad, or pretty much anything at all? It is a fact that what I've read of comics post-1985 left me cold. Case in point: Final Crisis, the only one on that list that I've read. In my opinion, it was overly violent, poorly motivated, and just generally urinated on the Silver Age comics that were the origin of most of the characters. The death of J'onn J'onzz alone was enough to make me sorry I'd paid for the thing.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Apparently we have very different tastes.

Have a nice life.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
The Problem with Prequels is that you usually know how they're gonna end, and it can often be very difficult to make the ride that leads up to that point interesting, exciting or memorable. Oh sure, there are examples (X-Men First Class comes to mind) but it usually doesn't work out that well.

I like Watchmen. That's the most I can say about this. I like the book. I like the movie. I guess it didn't strike any major chords with me because I don't love it, but I like it.

Honestly, the only thing you said in this video that MIGHT make me pick up one of these prequel novels is because you said Amanda Conner was working on one of them. I'm a big fan of her work (safe to say she's my favorite artist in comics right now)

Do you know which one she's doing? Silk Spectre? That's the one I could imagine her tackling since she usually does draw a lot of female characters.

If her and Peter David would team up to do a She-Hulk series...holy crap. I'd have a new favorite series, hands down lol

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
The prequels are a stupid idea, because everything you needed or wanted to know about any of the characters was already there in the original work.

[sub]The book's ending made more sense in the grand scheme of things.[/sub]
Loved how he said he wouldn't ruin the ending for us and the shows us a scene of the huge cataclysmic finale to the book a few seconds later.

Admittedly this is mitigated by the fact that the specific scene doesn't reveal too much but still made me laugh

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Strain42 said:
The Problem with Prequels is that you usually know how they're gonna end, and it can often be very difficult to make the ride that leads up to that point interesting, exciting or memorable. Oh sure, there are examples (X-Men First Class comes to mind) but it usually doesn't work out that well.

I like Watchmen. That's the most I can say about this. I like the book. I like the movie. I guess it didn't strike any major chords with me because I don't love it, but I like it.

Honestly, the only thing you said in this video that MIGHT make me pick up one of these prequel novels is because you said Amanda Conner was working on one of them. I'm a big fan of her work (safe to say she's my favorite artist in comics right now)

Do you know which one she's doing? Silk Spectre? That's the one I could imagine her tackling since she usually does draw a lot of female characters.

If her and Peter David would team up to do a She-Hulk series...holy crap. I'd have a new favorite series, hands down lol
I've always been sceptical of those female superhero equivalents. In my mind I only saw their male counterparts dressed up in different tights with slightly different curves merely their to catch the female audiences.

don't get me wrong this isn't a rant against female heroes as a whole any superhero who started femal;e such as wonderwoman or silk spectre is fine in my book well at least until I can actually read their content, just female clones of male heroes and I'm assuming visa versa, although I am currently having trouble thinking of any male clones atm, leave me cold

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Ocelano said:
Strain42 said:

I've always been sceptical of those female superhero equivalents. In my mind I only saw their male counterparts dressed up in different tights with slightly different curves merely their to catch the female audiences.

don't get me wrong this isn't a rant against female heroes as a whole any superhero who started femal;e such as wonderwoman or silk spectre is fine in my book well at least until I can actually read their content, just female clones of male heroes and I'm assuming visa versa, although I am currently having trouble thinking of any male clones atm, leave me cold
I'm not gonna try to change your mind, but that's really not the case with She-Hulk (ok well, it kind of is in her original series, but she's evolved a lot since then) basically one of the big differences is that She-Hulk loves being the She-Hulk lol so there's never any "No, don't change here..." moments.

Also a lot of people don't know this, but she breaks the fourth wall...a lot, and is often just as funny as Deadpool in that regard (especially in her series from the 80's and early 90's, in one book a character actually trips over the staple holding the book together)

I'm not suggesting you run out and buy her books, but I just wanted to explain why I personally love the character and hopefully dispel, however slightly, that she's just a Hulk with boobs lol

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
Strain42 said:
Ocelano said:
Strain42 said:

I'm not gonna try to change your mind, but that's really not the case with She-Hulk (ok well, it kind of is in her original series, but she's evolved a lot since then) basically one of the big differences is that She-Hulk loves being the She-Hulk lol so there's never any "No, don't change here..." moments.

Also a lot of people don't know this, but she breaks the fourth wall...a lot, and is often just as funny as Deadpool in that regard (especially in her series from the 80's and early 90's, in one book a character actually trips over the staple holding the book together)

I'm not suggesting you run out and buy her books, but I just wanted to explain why I personally love the character and hopefully dispel, however slightly, that she's just a Hulk with boobs lol
I confess character evolution is a valid point in fem clones Sufficient change in the character would to make them more than a female photocopy would qualify them for re evaluation and I don't mean to say they were outright bad merely that I approached the concept with skepticism, skepticism possibly inspired by that god awful supergirl movie.

As a further confession she-hulk is relatively unknown to me I understand she was banners cousin or something who he transfused blood with after some kind of accident and she gained a more diluted case of monstoritis in which she doesn't lose control. I am aware that given the varied myriad of superhero origins I could be opening a huge can of worms in enquiring with multiple possible sources but that was just from the adaptation which crossed my path as a youngster.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Ocelano said:
You need to understand why characters like that were created. She-Hulk, and other gender swapped characters, are created not to capture a female audience but to lock down the trademark, so another company can't create a competing character by just doing that gender swap. This is why they are never a real focus character (which also means there's more creative freedom with them, ironically. She-Hulk is largely known for the type of storytelling that couldn't possibly take place with ordinary Hulk, what with all the medium awareness, fourth wall shenanigans, etc. The only reason Deadpool gets to do it is because it was an established part of his character before anyone gave a shit about him)