The Big Picture: Top 10 Movies of 2014

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So a certain amount of the Top 5 is better than all of the films of 2012 in Bob's opinion? That's pretty cool and I'm surprised that I remembered to write this down when that was my first thought when seeing that other list earlier this year.

Also fuck yes for The Grand Budapest Hotel, there was nothing that wasn't absolutely wonderful or a delight in that film.

JackgarPrime

Jul 17, 2012
Looks like a pretty solid list. I hadn't seen some of the movies on there, but I am interested in a couple of the ones I hadn't seen yet. I'll have to check them out for sure.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
I'm guessing Godzilla will appear in the other 10 movies of 2014?
I dunno, unlike with Man of Steel he went from disappointed to "it was pretty good" with Godzilla 2014, lumping it together with Maleficent and Lucy I guess which I doubt will appear on his worst list.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Probably. Though I'd be willing to wager it will have the caveat Man of Steel had last time. Not necessarily the worst but most disappointing in his eyes.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
A fine list apart from GotG which makes my number 1 of most disappointing list not worst (still top 5 worst though) just disappointing which is a worse sin :)

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
I don't understand the love for Snowpiercer. It was really great up until the last fifteen minutes, then it became an absolute mess. Too many ideas being bounced around ended in a finale that was trying to balance too many themes and plot threads. The last few shots of the movie are supposed to be hopeful, but
there is no way a little boy and a teenage girl are going to repopulate the species in the snow. Nope, that movie ended with the death of the human race.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Sure would be nice to be able to see Snowpiercer in the cinema in the UK! Guess i'll have to make do with the DVD. :/

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
I'm not really surprised that Bob's list gets less interesting as it gets towards number one, with only Selma being in the number two spot really throwing a wrench in his system, just overall disappointed. While yes, Guardians was a good movie, it's still nothing really more than a studio movie that's a fun time but kind of throwaway. Just because the film was a "gamble" from Marvel (The hottest studio working right now that could literally sell tickets to anything they wanted), doesn't really merit it being the best film of the year when he leaves out probably more deserving films like Obvious Child, Only Lovers Left Alive, Boyhood, Adieu au langage, Mommy, and Birdman (Though I'm less surprised about that one since it lampoons his beloved superhero genre). I just honestly think that Bob has too much of a skew towards the Marvel films, because he acts like they're all these big daring projects when really they're carefully calculated films lacking in creative vision from actual filmmakers, product just to make money. And I can enjoy these movies, there's just no way I would ever put one at the top of a year end list.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Movies I expect to see on next week's list: Transformers 4 (I know he kinda liked that one, so maybe it'll be higher on the list) Amazing Spiderman 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (hell, that might even be number 1) and even though I don't really want to see it on the list...Godzilla.

And then maybe...I dunno, that Dracula movie? I'm trying to remember which movies he didn't care for much this year.

EDIT: Oh, Tusk. Tusk will most likely be on that list. I mean he disliked Tusk enough to do three weeks of explaining why Kevin Smith is awful now.

Also, was anyone else just a little bit surprised that Big Hero 6 wasn't on this list at all? Especially since he did seem to really like that one, and Frozen and Wreck-it-Ralph both made his lists for previous years.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I dunno, I thought Winter Soldier was better than Guardians. I enjoyed Guardians, but it had some problems that annoyed me. Like it's gimmicky 3D bullshit shots that distracted me at a few plot critical points, the fact that despite making Gamora a decent character, they didn't really give her anything to do, some minor pacing issues that probably didn't bother other people, but I'm a stickler for pacing . . .
Guardians is just a bit over-rated, I think. It's not bad, but I'd still only give it a 7 of 10, maybe an 8 if my second watch makes me notice some good things I didn't catch before.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Some great picks on Bob's list. I've seen a good number of them in theaters. Really need to see Snowpiercer sometime.

I kinda wish Bob gave more of a glowing review to John Wick. It's way better than he mentioned in his review; a lean and mean, hard -R action flick that is right up there with Dredd 3D and the two Raid movies. For a movie made for around $20 million, which is considered small in this age where budgets are in the hundreds of millions, it looks fantastic visually from beginning to end. It has action scenes that are perfectly paced without dragging on and it doesn't slow itself down for endless exposition by instead going with brief dialog scenes and a "show, don't tell" approach to explain who John Wick is and the world he lives in. It has a great cast of actors and shows that Keanu Reeves can still kick ass at age 50. It's coming out on DVD/Blu-ray in February of 2015 and I cannot recommend this highly enough.

As for the worst list, I can make a safe bet on which two superhero movies will be in the top five if not sitting in the #1 & 2 spot.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I dunno, Bob's not gone on about his butt-hurt about Kevin Smith for awhile. I'd imagine that would likely make a re-appearance.

JUMBO PALACE

I'd Rather Be Squatting
Legacy
Jun 22, 2020
Country
USA
I can appreciate most of this list but I fall into the small group of people who saw Guardians and left disappointed. That movie just never thrilled or connected with me like Winter Soldier or the Avengers did. The action wasn't satisfying at all but I will say that the characters were all great and nicely fleshed out.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Okay predictions for next week's worst 10 films.

release order (you know for how many films came out he didn't review that many with multiple gaps this year)

The Legend of Hercules
Robocop
Winter's Tale
Amazing Spiderman 2 (I liked it)
TMNT
Tusk
Left Behind
Dumb & Dumber To
Exodus: Gods and Kings

Okay I can only think of 9 but I believe these 9 will be on the list.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Surprised at no Big Hero 6 (which I have yet to see due to being a UK resident) and How to Train Your Dragon 2 (saw it, loved it, bring on the threequel!). I REALLY need to see Snowpiercer, hearing nothing but good things about it, but Grand Budapest Hotel...I'm conflicted about that one. I loved the quirkiness, cinematography, and casting (Fiennes, Dafoe, Norton, and Goldblum in the same film? Me very much gusta), but I didn't find it compelling. Might watch it again to see if I am wrong about that, though. I remember being pretty damn tired at the time, maybe that impacted on my viewing.

Agree with Guardians as number 1. My girlfriend thought it was way too similar to The Avengers, but even if that is so (which it kinda is structurally), I freaking LOVED it. Thought I would love Rocket, ended up loving Groot more. But Rocket is still freaking awesome. As is Star Lord. And Gamora. And Drax. THERE WAS NO WEAK LINK WITH THOSE CHARACTERS, IT WAS ALL SO FREAKING GREAT.

As for Bob's worst films list, I'm counting on TMNT and Amazing Spider-Man 2 fighting for the top spot of that one. I personally think Amazing Spider-Man 2 will win out due to the whole situation regarding Sony right now, and there was some optimism from Bob pre-release, but TMNT also had that optimism with when the Turtles were revealed. Interstellar will be in the top 6 (not quite top 5, possibly) what with Bob's dislike of Nolan as of late. Looking forward to next week's video!

geier

Oct 15, 2010
What does the guy in the Lego movie scream? It sounded to me like "verdammt", which is "damned" in german.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
geier said:
What does the guy in the Lego movie scream? It sounded to me like "verdammt", which is "damned" in german.
He's yelling "Spaceship!!". You'd have to see it, heh.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I didn't like Snowpiercer at all. Surprised to see "Under the Skin" there since I don't remember him reviewing it at all. But it is good. It can haunt you like only an indie "sci-fi horror but not really" can. And Scarlett Johansson is naked in it. Completely. Frontal nudity included.

My movie of the year is The Winter Soldier. It's amazing that a superhero movie can do everything so right. I have a list of best action movies of all time. A list that I don't edit so easily. Terminator 2 is still on top of that list. But The Winter Soldier got on it immediately. It's just so, so good.

bdcjacko said:
Space Raccoons > MLK, that is what Bob just said.
I don't have a problem with that. MLK is an important historic figure, but in the end he was just a man. He was no genetically modified space racoon with a space bazooka.

Mikeyfell

Aug 24, 2010
Me chanting from 4:07 to 4:46
Say Birdman, say Birdman, say Birdman, say Birdman!

Me at 4:45
Fuck!
I probably should have seen that coming

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Based on the number of movies that got positive reviews (from Bob) but are missing from the list, it looks like 2014 was a good movie year for Bob.

Swarles said:
I'm not really surprised that Bob's list gets less interesting as it gets towards number one, with only Selma being in the number two spot really throwing a wrench in his system, just overall disappointed. While yes, Guardians was a good movie, it's still nothing really more than a studio movie that's a fun time but kind of throwaway. Just because the film was a "gamble" from Marvel (The hottest studio working right now that could literally sell tickets to anything they wanted), doesn't really merit it being the best film of the year when he leaves out probably more deserving films like Obvious Child, Only Lovers Left Alive, Boyhood, Adieu au langage, Mommy, and Birdman (Though I'm less surprised about that one since it lampoons his beloved superhero genre). I just honestly think that Bob has too much of a skew towards the Marvel films, because he acts like they're all these big daring projects when really they're carefully calculated films lacking in creative vision from actual filmmakers, product just to make money. And I can enjoy these movies, there's just no way I would ever put one at the top of a year end list.
That's why it comes down to a balance of personal tastes and criteria for what constitutes "Top".

And what constitutes an "actual filmmaker"? I get the impression from Marvel's writer, actors and directors that they really enjoy making these movies, especially from Joss Whedon. Doesn't that count for something beyond making money?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's a pretty solid list. I could do without the sneering at "questionable source material" viz. Gone Girl, Fight Club, and Dragon Tattoo, though. Just a hint of the "it's achieved mass popularity so nyeehhhhhhh" there that gets people rolling their eyes at critics.

...Then again, MB seems to believe the strength of Marvel's movies comes from Silver Age source material, so *cough* *ahem* agree to disagree, wot?

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
V TheSystem V said:
Agree with Guardians as number 1. My girlfriend thought it was way too similar to The Avengers, but even if that is so (which it kinda is structurally), I freaking LOVED it.
Having just rewatched Guardians and The Lego Movie in the last 48 hours, I'd say that GotG is much closer to Lego in terms of structure than it is to the Avenger's. They seem all the more similar when you're hearing the same voice from Emmet and Starlord.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
So, Bottom 10 next week, huh? Interesting ;)

Anyway, Guardians at 1, Cap 2 at 2 and Raid 2 at 3.
The Johansen movie... it's kinda meh. Very slow and not much happens. Interesting to see where they are heading with it, but not a movie I'd rate above "quite decently made/pretty good I guess".

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
The ones further down the list I've not heard of; interesting you put The Raid 2 in the list as to me it was just another generic eastern action film (as in very missable).

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
Swarles said:
That's why it comes down to a balance of personal tastes and criteria for what constitutes "Top".

And what constitutes an "actual filmmaker"? I get the impression from Marvel's writer, actors and directors that they really enjoy making these movies, especially from Joss Whedon. Doesn't that count for something beyond making money?
I guess it would have been better if he had said favourite rather than "Top" because that word has a sense of authority of what is the best of the best, I dunno.

What I mean by that is none of the movies really have a sense of the directors personality to it. I mean Only Lovers Left Alive feels like a Jarmusch film, Boyhood feels like a Linklater film, and Mommy feels like a Dolan film. None of the Marvel films really feel like someone is trying to get their own film across, it feels like they're trying to get the studio's film across. I mean that's the reason they fired Edgar Wright from a film he's been working on for years. Originally, Ant Man wasn't going to be part of the MCU and it was going to be an Edgar Wright film, however once they realized that they had the right to just print money with whatever was a part of the cinematic universe, Marvel shot down Wright's script and fired him from the project because it wasn't going to fit. I mean, there's obviously a reason they're hiring so many television directors to helm their projects, because they can fit well into an already established formula.

Also, from what I've seen, many of the actors don't really enjoy making the films, specifically Chris Evans. Don't take my word on that though, I believe they're only rumours.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I do not remember MovieBob reviewing half of these. This video is the first time I've heard of "Under The Skin", and I heard mixed thing s about Snowpiercer from a number of other places. And the MLK movie just came out, so it's a bit premature to put it on a best list, even right under Guardians of the Galaxy.
Here's my take on Marvel and its audience: the latter was forgiving of Marvel pulling geek icon Edgar Wright off of Ant-Man because they got another Geek Icon, James Gunn, to do Guardians. And they're finishing Ant-Man with the footage and effects Wright started with, not scrapping the whole bloody thing to start over.
Also, I'll join in the chorus singing "Where's Big Hero 6?!"
Adam Jensen said:
bdcjacko said:
Space Raccoons > MLK, that is what Bob just said.
I don't have a problem with that. MLK is an important historic figure, but in the end he was just a man. He was no genetically modified space racoon with a space bazooka.
Don't forget: a genetically modified space raccoon with a space bazooka, IN SPACE. And a talking tree monster.
Mikeyfell said:
Me chanting from 4:07 to 4:46
Say Birdman, say Birdman, say Birdman, say Birdman!

Me at 4:45
Fuck!
I probably should have seen that coming
No, the right way to say it BIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRD MAN!
Oh, you weren't talking about the 3rd-rate superhero turned lawyer? Ha ha! Mistaken identity.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Swarles said:
I guess it would have been better if he had said favourite rather than "Top" because that word has a sense of authority of what is the best of the best, I dunno.
Come on...'tis the season for these lists, and EVERYONE calls it a "Top 5" or "Top 10". It's just how things are done. The "opinion" part of it should be obvious. Hell, pretty soon, Escapist's annual staff "Top 5" lists will start showing up, and no one will bat an eye, because... well, none of them are MovieBob so it's not the hipster thing to do to hate on them.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Swarles said:
ryukage_sama said:
Swarles said:

Because of the signature authorship of this video series, I take it as a given that this is "MovieBob's Top 10" instead of say "The Escapist's Top 10". The inherent subjectivity in making a Top ___ list for anything that isn't strictly numerical means that there can never be an authoritative list. I rather like that the Escapist is doing so much to allow so many of their writing staff to present their own top 5 lists for the year.

What I mean by that is none of the movies really have a sense of the directors personality to it. I mean Only Lovers Left Alive feels like a Jarmusch film, Boyhood feels like a Linklater film, and Mommy feels like a Dolan film. None of the Marvel films really feel like someone is trying to get their own film across, it feels like they're trying to get the studio's film across. I mean that's the reason they fired Edgar Wright from a film he's been working on for years. Originally, Ant Man wasn't going to be part of the MCU and it was going to be an Edgar Wright film, however once they realized that they had the right to just print money with whatever was a part of the cinematic universe, Marvel shot down Wright's script and fired him from the project because it wasn't going to fit. I mean, there's obviously a reason they're hiring so many television directors to helm their projects, because they can fit well into an already established formula.

Also, from what I've seen, many of the actors don't really enjoy making the films, specifically Chris Evans. Don't take my word on that though, I believe they're only rumours.
You're right that the Marvel films don't carry a sense of auteur directing, writing or cinematography. You can see the signature influence at specific points, but it doesn't carry across the film as a whole.

I've reached the same conclusion about Evans. He has explicitly stated that he wants to be a director over an actor, which based on his limited range (albeit appropriately cast as far as I've seen) is probably for the best. It's hardly typical for an entire cast and crew to be emotionally and creatively invested in any given work, but there are those working in the franchise with a love for the work. Tom Hiddleston seems happy, and Kenneth Branagh approached Thor as a fan of the source material. All big budget blockbusters carry with them some scale of soulless, profit seeking management, but Marvel's films are far from the worst offenders in that regard while making broadly entertaining movies. That shouldn't be wholly discounted.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Next week is the intressing one.
I mean this was pretty straight forward (except a few I hadn't heard about), but next week can bring forward some surprises, as Bob also takes movies he hasn't rewieved.

Paul10238

Feb 24, 2012
1. Cap2
2. Dawn/Apes
3. Edge of Tomorrow
4. Hobbit 3
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Big Hero 6
7. Lego Movie
8. X-Men 7
9. 22 Jump Street
10. Godzilla

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Sure would be nice to be able to see Snowpiercer in the cinema in the UK! Guess i'll have to make do with the DVD. :/
I wouldn't bother it really isn't anywhere near as good as everyone is making out. As someone said at the end of the movie it just loses the plot totally and don't get a none English import like I did because with no English subs the story makes even less sense.

Example, the movie has the main protaganist team up with some tech expert of Korean decent, this guy only talks in his native tongue but in the movie they use a little device that on the fly translates what he says in to English, great you think. Nope the device only seems to work for simple stuff, you know the stuff that talking loudly and pointing at the object would make it clear what is going on (open door, give me drugs, etc) Their are sections where the Korean tech expert gives entire sections of exposition about the story that the device does not translate and with no English subs, especially the end.

mega lenin

Jul 2, 2014
I'm baffled that Birdman didn't even get a mention on the list. Given he enjoys nice artsy cerebral genre bending dramas like Under the Skin and Gone Girl I figured that movie would fit in his baliwick. Perhaps he didn't see it???

I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, but other than as a mild and lighthearted celebration of James Gunn's quirky auteur style, it didn't do anything that made it any different than The Avengers. It's no Super, that's for sure. I'm glad James Gunn is getting the huge paycheck his work justifies. It's hard for me, though, to think of Marvel/Disney hiring a hotshot cult movie director to direct a movie for a lesser known comic with a cult following, with a script structure that pretty much just follows the already known to be successful Avengers franchise as a risk. It seems like shrewd risk averse management as those choices cater to the built in audience while using a narrative model they know can work for this kind of team up movie.

When I think of bold film making risks I think of things like a creative choice to eschew traditional two camera shooting with all its quick cuts for a single camera and long uncut sequences. I think a mix of surreal and mundane narrative styles that doesn't pander to an audience or underestimate them. I think of a soundtrack that consists entirely of drums, just drums. I think trying to explore our struggles with insecurity and inadequacy as the world continues to spin despite the fact that we ourselves are falling apart, our desire to be and feel loved, mental illness, and of course suicide, through a story about the tragic descent into madness of a former movie star, is way more of a risk than making a carbon copy sequel to the Avengers and getting away with it by having different characters with different quirks. They meet. They don't like eachother at first. They fight. Some big asshole with a purple space bazooka creates a crisis they have to unite to fight. They save eachother's asses a few times. They start to like eachother, and the power of their friendship overcomes all evil. Hardly unconventional. It's a retread of the typical action adventure movie model since Star Wars. You don't have to say anything with the work. You just need distinct likable characters. GotG has craft and care in its production, it's a fun adventure thrill ride that doesn't make you feel dirty for enjoying it. It ain't a risk, though.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
wow, no x men? or planet of the apes?
half of the movies he has listed i have never heard of or were even shown in cinemas in my country like budapest hotel. some i had no chance or time to watch or just wait for it to be out on dvd. like lucy and gone girl.
but yeah, raid 2 is awesome for sure and is also high up on my list.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The even-numbered years of this century so far have been great for movies (though the odd-numbered years have given us The World's End and Neill Blomkamp's movies, so they're okay too).

My top 10, not that anyone cares:

1. Maleficent
2. The Lego Movie
3. MLP: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. Annie
6. Lucy
7. Selma
8. Theory of Everything
9. Guardians of the Galaxy
10. Edge of Tomorrow

Honorable mentions: Big Hero 6, Wild, Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, Zero Theorem

Movie that I really wish I could put here, because I really, really wanted to like it: Snowpiercer

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Kinda surprised Dawn of the Apes wasn't there if i am honest, it was an amazing film.

Still, nice to see Guardians at the top, it deserves it place.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:

release order (you know for how many films came out he didn't review that many with multiple gaps this year)

The Legend of Hercules
Robocop
Winter's Tale
TMNT
Tusk
Left Behind
Dumb & Dumber To

Transformers: Age of Extinction could be the 10th xD bob hates the bay films :p

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Wow, what a pile of art house crap that is (Marvel films aside).
That list is so generic pretty much every pretentious critic's list this year will look the same.

When I first started following Bob, he would have laughed at anyone calling these films 'good' and explained why some Hammer film did the same plot as Snowpiercer better.

Where was Edge of Tomorrow on Bob's list!? It is probably one of the best Sci-Fi films in years.

His list should have looked more like this:

Paul10238's li
Paul10238 said:
1. Cap2
2. Dawn/Apes
3. Hobbit 3
4. Edge of Tomorrow
6. Big Hero 6
7. Lego Movie
8. X-Men 7
9. 22 Jump Street
10. Godzilla

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Edge of Tomorrow should have been on the list. It's definitely an under-rated film. One of the best of 2014. John Wick was also great. Same goes for How to Train Your Dragon 2.

My personal list

1. Edge of Tomorrow
2. The Raid 2
3. How to Train Your Dragon 2
4. John Wick
6. X-Men Days of Future Past
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Gone Girl
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (I guess, I can't think of anything else that stood out)

I should probably go see Snowpiercer and The Lego Movie...Hobbit 3 comes out in a couple of days here so I haven't seen that either.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
Argentina
mega lenin said:
I'm baffled that Birdman didn't even get a mention on the list. Given he enjoys nice artsy cerebral genre bending dramas like Under the Skin and Gone Girl I figured that movie would fit in his baliwick. Perhaps he didn't see it???
He saw it and though I didn't hear his review I'm going to guess he dismissed it because the movie ridicules the superhero movies he loves from the bottom of his fanboy heart.

In a year in which we had Boyhood, Birdman, Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Loreak, Magical Girl and Foxcatcher, this guy's number one pick is Superhero Movie #14. Eh.

ornjoos

May 7, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
My guesses are:
TMNT
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Transcendence
Robocop
Tusk
The Fault In Our Stars
The Giver
Winter's Tale
One of those awful Christian movies that came out this year (Son of God, Heaven Is For Real, I Origins, God Is Not Dead, take your pick)

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Really good list this year. My only problem is with myself in that I've only seen 3 of the 10 movies on his list. A 4th movie that he named has been taking up space on my laptop since about the middle of the year and I've still not watched it yet.

ShinobiJedi42 said:
I don't understand the love for Snowpiercer. It was really great up until the last fifteen minutes, then it became an absolute mess. Too many ideas being bounced around ended in a finale that was trying to balance too many themes and plot threads. The last few shots of the movie are supposed to be hopeful, but *spoilers* there is no way a little boy and a teenage girl are going to repopulate the species in the snow. Nope, that movie ended with the death of the human race.
If you had a high post count under your belt I'd be giving you alot shit right about now but since you're new I'll just give you a tip. Next time you are going to knowingly spoil something even if it's semi oldish (in this case earlier this year) news put it in little brackets like this:
[/spo.iler].
Just remove the . in the middle of the second spoiler.

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
weirdsoup said:
Scarim Coral said:
I dunno, Bob's not gone on about his butt-hurt about Kevin Smith for awhile. I'd imagine that would likely make a re-appearance.
Hey, um, have you ever considered the possibility that Bob didn't like Tusk because it might just be an obscenely terrible piece of film-making?

mega lenin said:
He did see it, he just didn't like it. He reviewed it in text form.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am going to guess "Left Behind" will be in the bottom 10, if not the very worst, because it was A. an unspeakably horrific film in every way imaginable and B. represents a mindset, both in soulless film making AND political/religious subject matter that Bob loathes.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Mine would look like this:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy -this one is now my favourite Marvel movie.
2. The Babadook -this one is more uncomfortable scary than it is "boo!" scary. Fantastic acting too.
3. Whiplash -it reminded me of the movie Drumline, just better in every conceivable way. I love jazz.
4. 22 Jump Street -funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Ice Cub'e break down had me on the verge of tears with how hard I was laughing.
5. Lego Movie -the "feel good" movie of the year. And I don't mean that in a condescending way. I think anyone who grew up playing with Lego would almost certainly love this movie.
6. Edge of Tomorrow -wow, I did not expect this one to be so good. A familiar concept from Groundhog day with significantly more emotional depth. Some of the massive plot conveniences did pull me out for a bit though.
7. Snowpiercer -this movie surprised me with how great it was. Also, some of the black humor was absolutely fantastic. A certain New Years scene had me laughing out loud.
8. Apes 2 -Serkis really should be nominated for an Oscar for his role.
9. Days of Future Past -best action sequences of the year IMO. Story was a little convoluted, but fun all the same.
10. Interstellar -the ending did annoy me, but ultimately, the emotional impact of the movie made me love it.

Honourable mentions in no particular order:
Grand Budapest
Winter Soldier
Lucy
Big Hero 6
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Nightcrawler
John Wick

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
arc1991 said:
P-89 Scorpion said:

The Legend of Hercules
Robocop
Winter's Tale
TMNT
Tusk
Left Behind
Dumb & Dumber To

Transformers: Age of Extinction could be the 10th xD bob hates the bay films :p
Go watch the review again, he didn't think it was good but he didn't hate it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
So, Bottom 10 next week, huh? Interesting ;)

Anyway, Guardians at 1, Cap 2 at 2 and Raid 2 at 3.
The Johansen movie... it's kinda meh. Very slow and not much happens. Interesting to see where they are heading with it, but not a movie I'd rate above "quite decently made/pretty good I guess".
I was pretty disappointed with Raid 2. The action was tight as hell, but the story and pacing was all over the place. I felt the smaller environment and more focused plot (if you can call it that) of the first one was a lot better.

Also, yeah. Cant beat Guardians. I was grinning broadly just from the intro, and got the same feeling I got when sitting down with Kill Bill 1 in the cinema after just a few minutes. "This is gonna be goooooood".

squallina

May 14, 2013
It might just be a difference in my personal tastes, but Bob's hard-on for the newer Marvel movies (regardless of their varying quality) is really starting to turn me off his opinions on movies in general.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Great to see Grand Hotel Budapest get in the list. Twas a great movie to watch!

jakskinned

Sep 7, 2013
next week its johnny bravos shoes. right?
johnny bravos shoes and their contribution to animation history! im calling it.
at least i hope thats what next weeks episode is about...

also why have i not seen the raid 2 to yet.

Redwyrm

Dec 24, 2014
Hey Bob,

I usually watch your show from work with headphones. Can I request that you tone down the "DING" when you do lists. It's way too loud and piercing.

Thanks

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
squallina said:
It might just be a difference in my personal tastes, but Bob's hard-on for the newer Marvel movies (regardless of their varying quality) is really starting to turn me off his opinions on movies in general.
If you actually listen to his reviews he's not as gushing as everyone assumes he is about them.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
"Next week? Guess..."

Oh Gaia...everyone put your heads between your knees and kiss your hinders goodbye. This is gonna get ugly!

CAPTCHA: as you wish

Holy crap...even the CAPTCHA is bracing for the badness!

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Is Rurouni Kenshin on American theaters? If yes can you talk about it Bob? If not, can you talk about it anyway please?

The movies are a success in Asia, and I personally enjoyed them both, altough, in 2 movies so far, there were 3 Damsel in distress, a bit annoying, specially the last one, felt a bit forced.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
AgDr_ODST said:
Really good list this year. My only problem is with myself in that I've only seen 3 of the 10 movies on his list. A 4th movie that he named has been taking up space on my laptop since about the middle of the year and I've still not watched it yet.

ShinobiJedi42 said:
I don't understand the love for Snowpiercer. It was really great up until the last fifteen minutes, then it became an absolute mess. Too many ideas being bounced around ended in a finale that was trying to balance too many themes and plot threads. The last few shots of the movie are supposed to be hopeful, but *spoilers* there is no way a little boy and a teenage girl are going to repopulate the species in the snow. Nope, that movie ended with the death of the human race.
If you had a high post count under your belt I'd be giving you alot shit right about now but since you're new I'll just give you a tip. Next time you are going to knowingly spoil something even if it's semi oldish (in this case earlier this year) news put it in little brackets like this:
[/spo.iler].
My apologies. I didn't know how to do it. I fixed it.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
STAGGERED that Winter Soldier was as far down the list as #5- I didn't know whether Bob would put it or Guardians at #1, but I was betting on Winter Soldier. I couldn't believe he put movies he hadn't even MENTIONED this year ahead of it.

Also, wasn't The Lego Movie a 2013 film? I remember it being last year's "what do you MEAN you're delaying its Australian release for 2 months so it can open on Boxing Day for no fucking reason?!" film- or am I confusing it with something else?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
I was really afraid of GotG being number 1. It's my biggest disappointment of the year.

I didn't think it was funny. At all. Every joke had me cringing, I don't understand why everyone went crazy over Groot, and the Raccoon's dialogue was so cheesy I was pissing cheese whiz for days. In fact, even the non-comedic dialogue was cringe worthy. It was enough to distract from the movie's legitimate merits for me.

I just don't get that movie, man. And everyone hates me for it. Whatever.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
He gives his reasons for liking each movie except two, where a Lego figure yelling something inarticulate and a beat-em-up scene are supposed to stand in for "why I liked this movie" and are supposed to be AWWWWWESOME! ...but for those of us who haven't seen them, they're just two random, out-of-context action scenes. I have no idea what Raid is about or why I should see it or why it's good.

(I also think Cap 2 is massively overrated and the MCU movies' formula is starting to bug me. I adored everything with Nick Fury, I adored Falcon, but ScarJo just wasn't good enough to make me care about Natasha's scenes and everything with the big WS reveal was like watching Chris Evans emote against a piece of cardboard. That should have been the emotional center of the movie and it was just so dull I didn't care about it at all. I wanted to like it a lot better than I actually did.)

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Every time somebody says 'everything is awesome' my day has been made.

What a truly awesome experience that movie was. Tears of laughter and then of (earned!) sentimentality. Not many movies can do that to me these days.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
No John Wick or Edge of Tomorrow? Shame as both were some of the most fun I've had with action movies in ages.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
ShinobiJedi42 said:
AgDr_ODST said:

ShinobiJedi42 said:
[/spo.iler].
My apologies. I didn't know how to do it. I fixed it.
You're fine Jedi, I was just trying to help.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Need to see Under The Skin, Selma, and Inherent Vice.

Raid 2 is fucking amazing.

Was hoping Bob gave a bit more foreign love. Like Norte, The End of History which is by far my favourite this year:

Nothing quite like a 250min moral epic.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
You included Guardians and LEGO, but left out Nightcrawler, Fury, Dawn of the POTA, and X-Men?

Disappointed.

Mr.Evil

Jul 17, 2014
Well, it's that time of year again (oh, wait, you said that already, Bob). My own critiques of Bob's list -

10: This one looks interesting. Haven't seen it.

9: Haven't seen this one either. Also looks interesting.

8: You know, I liked this one, but not as much as I wanted to. The logic behind its premise escapes me other than for the novelty factor. Still, it's off-kilter enough that I think I'd recommend a watch.

7: Haven't seen it, doubt I will.

6: I'm a fan of Wes Anderson, and I liked this one as much as most of his other films. But this one felt a lot more... dark than his earlier work. There's a sense of sadness about this one that isn't quite countered by the whimsy, which makes it different. Still, I liked it.

5: I would've put this one at Number 1.

4: Yes, it's awesome. Hands down the best animated film this year (sorry, neither Big Hero 6 nor HTTYD 2 even come close).

3: Yeah, sorry, can't say I have a lot of enthusiasm for the Raid movies. As action flicks go, they're good, but I need more substance to actually enjoy something like this. I'd put X-men: DoFP, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, or Edge of Tommorrow in this slot (or all three, basically a 3-way-tie).

2: Haven't seen it, but definitely plan to.

1: You know, I definitely liked it. But best of 2014? Nah.

Overall, a solid year. Nothing that wowed me, though. As for next week, I doubt there will be too many surprises.

MDSnowman

Apr 8, 2004
ornjoos said:
P-89 Scorpion said:
My guesses are:
TMNT
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Transcendence
Robocop
Tusk
The Fault In Our Stars
The Giver
Winter's Tale
One of those awful Christian movies that came out this year (Son of God, Heaven Is For Real, I Origins, God Is Not Dead, take your pick)
Oh yeah, Bob HATED Transcendence

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
No Days of Future Past? I thought that was an amazing film, right up your alley Bob.

I hope Maleficent is on your worst list, it's been a long time since I've despised a movie as much as I did coming out of that.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Keji Goto said:
Gee I wonder what next week's episode will be about?
I'm gonna go with "The Muppets take Manhattan". Because that seems logical........

Oh wait, there was that thing in the country next to China, I heard something about that somewhere ONCE.... Nah, everyone loves Kermit.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
PunkRex said:
No Days of Future Past? I thought that was an amazing film, right up your alley Bob.

I hope Maleficent is on your worst list, it's been a long time since I've despised a movie as much as I did coming out of that.
Days of Future Past really isn't all that amazing. At least not by the standards of modern superhero fair. Its caught painfully in between the early millennium super hero movies in its choice of attire and style of action and the new superhero standard which is filled with continuity nods and easter eggs.

As for Maleficent I doubt it will be on his worst list. It had stones like I've never seen from a Disney movie and was too damn memorable with a hell of a great performance for him to go on his worst list.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Swarles said:
It always makes me laugh when i see these comments. "this list is so dumb its all big blockbusters all of which were inferior to list-of-movies-98%-of-the-audience-has-never-heard-of." Top 10 lists are inherently gimmicky and ment for broad generic consumption, to say nothing of the fact that Bobs reviews in general are of movies that are intended for broad mainstream consumption. He only ever dips into the auteur/indie scene when theres nothing else worth reviewing from the big studios. If your looking for a comprehensive list of the arthouse stuff you've come to the wrong site.

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
Swarles said:
ryukage_sama said:
Swarles said:
-snip-
-snap-
Because of the signature authorship of this video series, I take it as a given that this is "MovieBob's Top 10" instead of say "The Escapist's Top 10". The inherent subjectivity in making a Top ___ list for anything that isn't strictly numerical means that there can never be an authoritative list. I rather like that the Escapist is doing so much to allow so many of their writing staff to present their own top 5 lists for the year.
I understand where you're coming from, and I don't really want to argue on word choice so I think I'll just concede, it's not an authoritative list and while I would rather it be "Favourite Films" rather than just "Top 10" there's nothing really inherently wrong with it.

ryukage_sama said:
You're right that the Marvel films don't carry a sense of auteur directing, writing or cinematography. You can see the signature influence at specific points, but it doesn't carry across the film as a whole.

I've reached the same conclusion about Evans. He has explicitly stated that he wants to be a director over an actor, which based on his limited range (albeit appropriately cast as far as I've seen) is probably for the best. It's hardly typical for an entire cast and crew to be emotionally and creatively invested in any given work, but there are those working in the franchise with a love for the work. Tom Hiddleston seems happy, and Kenneth Branagh approached Thor as a fan of the source material. All big budget blockbusters carry with them some scale of soulless, profit seeking management, but Marvel's films are far from the worst offenders in that regard while making broadly entertaining movies. That shouldn't be wholly discounted.
For me why they all feel exactly the same. If they got Quentin Tarantino, Terry Gilliam, and Wes Anderson all to direct Marvel films they would all feel like the same movie. And that's most of my problem and why they feel like a cash cow rather than something that should be praised against The Grand Budapest Hotel and Under the Skin.

I thought Evans was good in Snowpiercer but I'll agree with you, his range isn't that great which is why he's getting cast in pretty much the same roles across the board. I'll agree with you that Marvel's films are far from the worst offenders. I mean look at the souless cash grabs this year that were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Need for Speed, and Divergent. These films are much, much worse than the Marvel films, and they all have nothing really going for them. I'm not saying the Marvel films are inherently bad movies, I am simply saying that I don't feel like they have the same kind of weight as a Only Lovers Left Alive or a Boyhood.

walrusaurus said:
Swarles said:
It always makes me laugh when i see these comments. "this list is so dumb its all big blockbusters all of which were inferior to list-of-movies-98%-of-the-audience-has-never-heard-of." Top 10 lists are inherently gimmicky and ment for broad generic consumption, to say nothing of the fact that Bobs reviews in general are of movies that are intended for broad mainstream consumption. He only ever dips into the auteur/indie scene when theres nothing else worth reviewing from the big studios. If your looking for a comprehensive list of the arthouse stuff you've come to the wrong site.
I think that Bob has a way here in his Top Tens to give credence to films that he wasn't able to talk about during the year. Obviously people are wanting to see reviews of the biggest films of the year because that's what they're going to see over the weekend and they want to know if it's good or shit, with a top ten list you can show movies that maybe a lot of people haven't seen then and give them recognition. I mean why else would he have had a decent first half to his list, but then hit Captain America and stop talking about independent or auteur driven films. I mean most of the reason I watch YourMovieSucks Top ____ of the year is because he'll probably talk about films I've yet to see and then make me want to go out and see them because they look interesting. Bob had a way to honour the types of films he isn't able to talk about during the year but he didn't do that.

Then again, I don't know why I should expect more from someone who thinks that "film critics" are the tumour infecting the medium because they don't think the Marvel movies are the biggest risk ever taken by any studio and because of that they should win Movie Of The Year every year.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Boyhood on his least favourite of the year simply because he wants to feel superior to the "Film Critics"

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
KazeAizen said:
PunkRex said:

Days of Future Past really isn't all that amazing. At least not by the standards of modern superhero fair. Its caught painfully in between the early millennium super hero movies in its choice of attire and style of action and the new superhero standard which is filled with continuity nods and easter eggs.

As for Maleficent I doubt it will be on his worst list. It had stones like I've never seen from a Disney movie and was too damn memorable with a hell of a great performance for him to go on his worst list.
The only 'ballsy' part of Maleficent was the scene where she had her wings hacked off. Everything else about that film was as bog standard modern, grim-dark fantasy as you could get. The aesthetics were generic fantasy, Frozen did the true love twist a hundred times better and the anti-hero things getting damn tiresome, the only way they could think to make her likable was to make every other character either crazy evil or super dumb/annoying. The film offered nothing new, it was boring but worst of all fell into that awful trope of thinking the only way to make a female character deep and interesting is to beat the crap out of her.

They took the 'mistress of all evil' and turn't her into a freaking victim, and I'd be cool with that if they had something to say but they didn't, they did it because that's what's popular but personally I wouldn't find a character like Sauron better if he was simply out for revenge. Hell, it wasn't even Maleficent who turn't into the Dragon, although I will admit the crow character was kind of interesting.

I really, REALLY didn't like that film.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Where's Nightcrawler? One of the most well directed films of the year with an amazing performance from Jake Gyllenhaal.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
More the serious film reviewer coming out here, good to see.

I was glad to see my friend's documentary about Weng Weng finally coming out and Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Canon Films.

Jodorowsky's Dune was something special.

Why Don't You Play in Hell?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1FWScYLqwg

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lDrkokymLQ

squallina

May 14, 2013
Makabriel said:
squallina said:
If you actually listen to his reviews he's not as gushing as everyone assumes he is about them.
I did listen to his reviews of said Marvel movies. I thought, "Hey maybe I really am missing out on something amazing. I better get into this franchise." So I watched them all and didn't really like any of them except for Captain America: The First Avenger. Now I groan every time Bob's super-excited for a Marvel movie because I'm fairly certain I can't agree with Bob on this.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Every time I see a critic's review of "Under The Skin", I am baffled. It's like I've wandered into some strange alternate reality. For me, "Under the Skin" is always going to be the movie which, at the Toronto International Film Festival, featured half the audience walking out the door over the course of the film, not because they were offended, but because they were bored.

As one audience member said to me at the time, "Life's too short to finish this movie."

Grugerz

Dec 31, 2014
I've been watching, reviewing, and analyzing films for the entirety of my (short) life and I don't know how anybody who's done the same thing can think that Gone Girl was one of the best films of the year, let alone Guardians of the Galaxy. Now, full disclosure, I hated GotG, I walked out of it, it was boring, generic and not really all that much "fun", at least to me. So I'm a very different person to you guys.

If you enjoy generic, fine. But to say that they are better films objectively than films that try something interesting and succeed like Nightcrawler or more important than films like Calvary that address current, important issues in an interesting and new light seems a bit... weird.

I guess I could forgive all this if you just say at the start "yo, my opinion y'all", and you *could* argue that that is implied, but it just seems a bit grandiose. To title your video 'Top Ten Films of 2014', then to not even address the fact it's a personal list, while also putting a generic and forgettable action film as #1 left a poor taste in my mouth.

These aren't objectively quality films this is "ten things I liked". Maybe that's just how you review, but I don't think I'm going to be watching again. Felt the need to share my thoughts, cheers.

Grugerz

Dec 31, 2014
Even watching the first part of the worst movies list. To me it just feels like you watched the 30 biggest and most advertised films of the year and picked what you liked (or didn't like) from that?

You don't seem to talk about any interesting films, you only mention films that most everyone already knows about, films that were advertised pretty aggressively to the masses.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I sometimes wonder how these top 10 would look if Rambo First Blood would appear now instead of 30 years ago. That says a lot about how bad Hollywood has become lately.

Anyway, this year Captain America was number 1 for me. But I don't know if it's because I've liked it for itself, or because Thor 2 showed me just how stupid Hollywood thinks we are.

Other memorable moments (not in the list), were:
-Automata: next year we will get Chappie and I'm very excited about it. I thought Automata will be about the same thing. It wasn't. It wasn't particularly GOOD, but it was for me memorable. It did something very new, very strange, and I always admire a movie that does that. I also think this is Banderas' best role ever.
-Edge of Tomorrow: why is it not on the list? Did we forget to praise movies that still respect their audience as smart people? While I still liked Oblivion more (because of reasons), this was a really solid movie. Okok, maybe the ending didn't make much sense but still...
- Hobbit 3: what the actual F...? While I'd still give Captain America the top spot because of how much of a surprise it was, Hobbit 3 is a masterpiece. In fact the only reason why I can't give it my top spot is that it has to be viewed as part of a series, while CA2 can hold his own.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I skipped so many movies this year :/ I didnt even know 10-6.

I don't agree on the Wintersoldier, thought it's a horrible movie. Just horrible. At first i didn't even know why i didn't liked it or to be more precise: i couldn't exactly say why. Then i watched "Everything wrong with.." of the movie aaaaaand it made *click* in my head. The plothole in the script are bigger than the holes in our Emmentaler.

Here the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W529m44OT0Y
22mins. That's one of the longest.

Anyway, on the other hand i totally agree with Guardians on 1st place. It was an awesome flick. The characters were neat, i had a really good laugh throughout the movie and the dance off was spectacular.