The Big Picture: Top 10 Movies of 2014

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
So a certain amount of the Top 5 is better than all of the films of 2012 in Bob's opinion? That's pretty cool and I'm surprised that I remembered to write this down when that was my first thought when seeing that other list earlier this year.

Also fuck yes for The Grand Budapest Hotel, there was nothing that wasn't absolutely wonderful or a delight in that film.

JackgarPrime

Jul 17, 2012
Looks like a pretty solid list. I hadn't seen some of the movies on there, but I am interested in a couple of the ones I hadn't seen yet. I'll have to check them out for sure.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
I'm guessing Godzilla will appear in the other 10 movies of 2014?
I dunno, unlike with Man of Steel he went from disappointed to "it was pretty good" with Godzilla 2014, lumping it together with Maleficent and Lucy I guess which I doubt will appear on his worst list.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Scarim Coral said:
Probably. Though I'd be willing to wager it will have the caveat Man of Steel had last time. Not necessarily the worst but most disappointing in his eyes.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
A fine list apart from GotG which makes my number 1 of most disappointing list not worst (still top 5 worst though) just disappointing which is a worse sin :)

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
I don't understand the love for Snowpiercer. It was really great up until the last fifteen minutes, then it became an absolute mess. Too many ideas being bounced around ended in a finale that was trying to balance too many themes and plot threads. The last few shots of the movie are supposed to be hopeful, but
there is no way a little boy and a teenage girl are going to repopulate the species in the snow. Nope, that movie ended with the death of the human race.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
Sure would be nice to be able to see Snowpiercer in the cinema in the UK! Guess i'll have to make do with the DVD. :/

Swarles

Jul 17, 2009
I'm not really surprised that Bob's list gets less interesting as it gets towards number one, with only Selma being in the number two spot really throwing a wrench in his system, just overall disappointed. While yes, Guardians was a good movie, it's still nothing really more than a studio movie that's a fun time but kind of throwaway. Just because the film was a "gamble" from Marvel (The hottest studio working right now that could literally sell tickets to anything they wanted), doesn't really merit it being the best film of the year when he leaves out probably more deserving films like Obvious Child, Only Lovers Left Alive, Boyhood, Adieu au langage, Mommy, and Birdman (Though I'm less surprised about that one since it lampoons his beloved superhero genre). I just honestly think that Bob has too much of a skew towards the Marvel films, because he acts like they're all these big daring projects when really they're carefully calculated films lacking in creative vision from actual filmmakers, product just to make money. And I can enjoy these movies, there's just no way I would ever put one at the top of a year end list.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Movies I expect to see on next week's list: Transformers 4 (I know he kinda liked that one, so maybe it'll be higher on the list) Amazing Spiderman 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (hell, that might even be number 1) and even though I don't really want to see it on the list...Godzilla.

And then maybe...I dunno, that Dracula movie? I'm trying to remember which movies he didn't care for much this year.

EDIT: Oh, Tusk. Tusk will most likely be on that list. I mean he disliked Tusk enough to do three weeks of explaining why Kevin Smith is awful now.

Also, was anyone else just a little bit surprised that Big Hero 6 wasn't on this list at all? Especially since he did seem to really like that one, and Frozen and Wreck-it-Ralph both made his lists for previous years.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I dunno, I thought Winter Soldier was better than Guardians. I enjoyed Guardians, but it had some problems that annoyed me. Like it's gimmicky 3D bullshit shots that distracted me at a few plot critical points, the fact that despite making Gamora a decent character, they didn't really give her anything to do, some minor pacing issues that probably didn't bother other people, but I'm a stickler for pacing . . .
Guardians is just a bit over-rated, I think. It's not bad, but I'd still only give it a 7 of 10, maybe an 8 if my second watch makes me notice some good things I didn't catch before.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Some great picks on Bob's list. I've seen a good number of them in theaters. Really need to see Snowpiercer sometime.

I kinda wish Bob gave more of a glowing review to John Wick. It's way better than he mentioned in his review; a lean and mean, hard -R action flick that is right up there with Dredd 3D and the two Raid movies. For a movie made for around $20 million, which is considered small in this age where budgets are in the hundreds of millions, it looks fantastic visually from beginning to end. It has action scenes that are perfectly paced without dragging on and it doesn't slow itself down for endless exposition by instead going with brief dialog scenes and a "show, don't tell" approach to explain who John Wick is and the world he lives in. It has a great cast of actors and shows that Keanu Reeves can still kick ass at age 50. It's coming out on DVD/Blu-ray in February of 2015 and I cannot recommend this highly enough.

As for the worst list, I can make a safe bet on which two superhero movies will be in the top five if not sitting in the #1 & 2 spot.

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
I dunno, Bob's not gone on about his butt-hurt about Kevin Smith for awhile. I'd imagine that would likely make a re-appearance.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I can appreciate most of this list but I fall into the small group of people who saw Guardians and left disappointed. That movie just never thrilled or connected with me like Winter Soldier or the Avengers did. The action wasn't satisfying at all but I will say that the characters were all great and nicely fleshed out.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Okay predictions for next week's worst 10 films.

release order (you know for how many films came out he didn't review that many with multiple gaps this year)

The Legend of Hercules
Robocop
Winter's Tale
Amazing Spiderman 2 (I liked it)
TMNT
Tusk
Left Behind
Dumb & Dumber To
Exodus: Gods and Kings

Okay I can only think of 9 but I believe these 9 will be on the list.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Surprised at no Big Hero 6 (which I have yet to see due to being a UK resident) and How to Train Your Dragon 2 (saw it, loved it, bring on the threequel!). I REALLY need to see Snowpiercer, hearing nothing but good things about it, but Grand Budapest Hotel...I'm conflicted about that one. I loved the quirkiness, cinematography, and casting (Fiennes, Dafoe, Norton, and Goldblum in the same film? Me very much gusta), but I didn't find it compelling. Might watch it again to see if I am wrong about that, though. I remember being pretty damn tired at the time, maybe that impacted on my viewing.

Agree with Guardians as number 1. My girlfriend thought it was way too similar to The Avengers, but even if that is so (which it kinda is structurally), I freaking LOVED it. Thought I would love Rocket, ended up loving Groot more. But Rocket is still freaking awesome. As is Star Lord. And Gamora. And Drax. THERE WAS NO WEAK LINK WITH THOSE CHARACTERS, IT WAS ALL SO FREAKING GREAT.

As for Bob's worst films list, I'm counting on TMNT and Amazing Spider-Man 2 fighting for the top spot of that one. I personally think Amazing Spider-Man 2 will win out due to the whole situation regarding Sony right now, and there was some optimism from Bob pre-release, but TMNT also had that optimism with when the Turtles were revealed. Interstellar will be in the top 6 (not quite top 5, possibly) what with Bob's dislike of Nolan as of late. Looking forward to next week's video!