The Big Picture: Top 10 Movies of 2014

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
P-89 Scorpion said:
Okay predictions for next week's worst 10 films.

release order (you know for how many films came out he didn't review that many with multiple gaps this year)

The Legend of Hercules
Robocop
Winter's Tale
Amazing Spiderman 2 (I liked it)
TMNT
Tusk
Left Behind
Dumb & Dumber To
Exodus: Gods and Kings

Okay I can only think of 9 but I believe these 9 will be on the list.
Transformers: Age of Extinction could be the 10th xD bob hates the bay films :p

DoctorM

Nov 30, 2010
Wow, what a pile of art house crap that is (Marvel films aside).
That list is so generic pretty much every pretentious critic's list this year will look the same.

When I first started following Bob, he would have laughed at anyone calling these films 'good' and explained why some Hammer film did the same plot as Snowpiercer better.

Where was Edge of Tomorrow on Bob's list!? It is probably one of the best Sci-Fi films in years.

His list should have looked more like this:

Paul10238's li
Paul10238 said:
1. Cap2
2. Dawn/Apes
3. Hobbit 3
4. Edge of Tomorrow
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Big Hero 6
7. Lego Movie
8. X-Men 7
9. 22 Jump Street
10. Godzilla

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Edge of Tomorrow should have been on the list. It's definitely an under-rated film. One of the best of 2014. John Wick was also great. Same goes for How to Train Your Dragon 2.

My personal list

1. Edge of Tomorrow
2. The Raid 2
3. How to Train Your Dragon 2
4. John Wick
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. X-Men Days of Future Past
7. The Grand Budapest Hotel
8. Gone Girl
9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
10. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (I guess, I can't think of anything else that stood out)

I should probably go see Snowpiercer and The Lego Movie...Hobbit 3 comes out in a couple of days here so I haven't seen that either.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
mega lenin said:
I'm baffled that Birdman didn't even get a mention on the list. Given he enjoys nice artsy cerebral genre bending dramas like Under the Skin and Gone Girl I figured that movie would fit in his baliwick. Perhaps he didn't see it???
He saw it and though I didn't hear his review I'm going to guess he dismissed it because the movie ridicules the superhero movies he loves from the bottom of his fanboy heart.

In a year in which we had Boyhood, Birdman, Gone Girl, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Loreak, Magical Girl and Foxcatcher, this guy's number one pick is Superhero Movie #14. Eh.

ornjoos

May 7, 2013
P-89 Scorpion said:
My guesses are:
TMNT
The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Transcendence
Robocop
Tusk
The Fault In Our Stars
The Giver
Winter's Tale
One of those awful Christian movies that came out this year (Son of God, Heaven Is For Real, I Origins, God Is Not Dead, take your pick)

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Really good list this year. My only problem is with myself in that I've only seen 3 of the 10 movies on his list. A 4th movie that he named has been taking up space on my laptop since about the middle of the year and I've still not watched it yet.

ShinobiJedi42 said:
I don't understand the love for Snowpiercer. It was really great up until the last fifteen minutes, then it became an absolute mess. Too many ideas being bounced around ended in a finale that was trying to balance too many themes and plot threads. The last few shots of the movie are supposed to be hopeful, but *spoilers* there is no way a little boy and a teenage girl are going to repopulate the species in the snow. Nope, that movie ended with the death of the human race.
If you had a high post count under your belt I'd be giving you alot shit right about now but since you're new I'll just give you a tip. Next time you are going to knowingly spoil something even if it's semi oldish (in this case earlier this year) news put it in little brackets like this:
[/spo.iler].
Just remove the . in the middle of the second spoiler.

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
weirdsoup said:
Scarim Coral said:
I'm guessing Godzilla will appear in the other 10 movies of 2014?
I dunno, Bob's not gone on about his butt-hurt about Kevin Smith for awhile. I'd imagine that would likely make a re-appearance.
Hey, um, have you ever considered the possibility that Bob didn't like Tusk because it might just be an obscenely terrible piece of film-making?

mega lenin said:
I'm baffled that Birdman didn't even get a mention on the list. Given he enjoys nice artsy cerebral genre bending dramas like Under the Skin and Gone Girl I figured that movie would fit in his baliwick. Perhaps he didn't see it???
He did see it, he just didn't like it. He reviewed it in text form.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am going to guess "Left Behind" will be in the bottom 10, if not the very worst, because it was A. an unspeakably horrific film in every way imaginable and B. represents a mindset, both in soulless film making AND political/religious subject matter that Bob loathes.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Mine would look like this:
1. Guardians of the Galaxy -this one is now my favourite Marvel movie.
2. The Babadook -this one is more uncomfortable scary than it is "boo!" scary. Fantastic acting too.
3. Whiplash -it reminded me of the movie Drumline, just better in every conceivable way. I love jazz.
4. 22 Jump Street -funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Ice Cub'e break down had me on the verge of tears with how hard I was laughing.
5. Lego Movie -the "feel good" movie of the year. And I don't mean that in a condescending way. I think anyone who grew up playing with Lego would almost certainly love this movie.
6. Edge of Tomorrow -wow, I did not expect this one to be so good. A familiar concept from Groundhog day with significantly more emotional depth. Some of the massive plot conveniences did pull me out for a bit though.
7. Snowpiercer -this movie surprised me with how great it was. Also, some of the black humor was absolutely fantastic. A certain New Years scene had me laughing out loud.
8. Apes 2 -Serkis really should be nominated for an Oscar for his role.
9. Days of Future Past -best action sequences of the year IMO. Story was a little convoluted, but fun all the same.
10. Interstellar -the ending did annoy me, but ultimately, the emotional impact of the movie made me love it.

Honourable mentions in no particular order:
Grand Budapest
Winter Soldier
Lucy
Big Hero 6
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Nightcrawler
John Wick

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
arc1991 said:
P-89 Scorpion said:

release order (you know for how many films came out he didn't review that many with multiple gaps this year)

The Legend of Hercules
Robocop
Winter's Tale
Amazing Spiderman 2 (I liked it)
TMNT
Tusk
Left Behind
Dumb & Dumber To

Okay I can only think of 9 but I believe these 9 will be on the list.
Transformers: Age of Extinction could be the 10th xD bob hates the bay films :p
Go watch the review again, he didn't think it was good but he didn't hate it.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
So, Bottom 10 next week, huh? Interesting ;)

Anyway, Guardians at 1, Cap 2 at 2 and Raid 2 at 3.
The Johansen movie... it's kinda meh. Very slow and not much happens. Interesting to see where they are heading with it, but not a movie I'd rate above "quite decently made/pretty good I guess".
I was pretty disappointed with Raid 2. The action was tight as hell, but the story and pacing was all over the place. I felt the smaller environment and more focused plot (if you can call it that) of the first one was a lot better.

Also, yeah. Cant beat Guardians. I was grinning broadly just from the intro, and got the same feeling I got when sitting down with Kill Bill 1 in the cinema after just a few minutes. "This is gonna be goooooood".

squallina

May 14, 2013
It might just be a difference in my personal tastes, but Bob's hard-on for the newer Marvel movies (regardless of their varying quality) is really starting to turn me off his opinions on movies in general.

jakskinned

Sep 7, 2013
next week its johnny bravos shoes. right?
johnny bravos shoes and their contribution to animation history! im calling it.
at least i hope thats what next weeks episode is about...

also why have i not seen the raid 2 to yet.

Redwyrm

Dec 24, 2014
Hey Bob,

I usually watch your show from work with headphones. Can I request that you tone down the "DING" when you do lists. It's way too loud and piercing.

Thanks

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
squallina said:
It might just be a difference in my personal tastes, but Bob's hard-on for the newer Marvel movies (regardless of their varying quality) is really starting to turn me off his opinions on movies in general.
If you actually listen to his reviews he's not as gushing as everyone assumes he is about them.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
"Next week? Guess..."

Oh Gaia...everyone put your heads between your knees and kiss your hinders goodbye. This is gonna get ugly!

CAPTCHA: as you wish

Holy crap...even the CAPTCHA is bracing for the badness!