The Big Picture: Top 10 Movies of 2014

squallina

May 14, 2013
Makabriel said:
squallina said:
It might just be a difference in my personal tastes, but Bob's hard-on for the newer Marvel movies (regardless of their varying quality) is really starting to turn me off his opinions on movies in general.
If you actually listen to his reviews he's not as gushing as everyone assumes he is about them.
I did listen to his reviews of said Marvel movies. I thought, "Hey maybe I really am missing out on something amazing. I better get into this franchise." So I watched them all and didn't really like any of them except for Captain America: The First Avenger. Now I groan every time Bob's super-excited for a Marvel movie because I'm fairly certain I can't agree with Bob on this.

Grugerz

Dec 31, 2014
I've been watching, reviewing, and analyzing films for the entirety of my (short) life and I don't know how anybody who's done the same thing can think that Gone Girl was one of the best films of the year, let alone Guardians of the Galaxy. Now, full disclosure, I hated GotG, I walked out of it, it was boring, generic and not really all that much "fun", at least to me. So I'm a very different person to you guys.

If you enjoy generic, fine. But to say that they are better films objectively than films that try something interesting and succeed like Nightcrawler or more important than films like Calvary that address current, important issues in an interesting and new light seems a bit... weird.

I guess I could forgive all this if you just say at the start "yo, my opinion y'all", and you *could* argue that that is implied, but it just seems a bit grandiose. To title your video 'Top Ten Films of 2014', then to not even address the fact it's a personal list, while also putting a generic and forgettable action film as #1 left a poor taste in my mouth.

These aren't objectively quality films this is "ten things I liked". Maybe that's just how you review, but I don't think I'm going to be watching again. Felt the need to share my thoughts, cheers.

Grugerz

Dec 31, 2014
Even watching the first part of the worst movies list. To me it just feels like you watched the 30 biggest and most advertised films of the year and picked what you liked (or didn't like) from that?

You don't seem to talk about any interesting films, you only mention films that most everyone already knows about, films that were advertised pretty aggressively to the masses.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I sometimes wonder how these top 10 would look if Rambo First Blood would appear now instead of 30 years ago. That says a lot about how bad Hollywood has become lately.

Anyway, this year Captain America was number 1 for me. But I don't know if it's because I've liked it for itself, or because Thor 2 showed me just how stupid Hollywood thinks we are.

Other memorable moments (not in the list), were:
-Automata: next year we will get Chappie and I'm very excited about it. I thought Automata will be about the same thing. It wasn't. It wasn't particularly GOOD, but it was for me memorable. It did something very new, very strange, and I always admire a movie that does that. I also think this is Banderas' best role ever.
-Edge of Tomorrow: why is it not on the list? Did we forget to praise movies that still respect their audience as smart people? While I still liked Oblivion more (because of reasons), this was a really solid movie. Okok, maybe the ending didn't make much sense but still...
- Hobbit 3: what the actual F...? While I'd still give Captain America the top spot because of how much of a surprise it was, Hobbit 3 is a masterpiece. In fact the only reason why I can't give it my top spot is that it has to be viewed as part of a series, while CA2 can hold his own.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
I skipped so many movies this year :/ I didnt even know 10-6.

I don't agree on the Wintersoldier, thought it's a horrible movie. Just horrible. At first i didn't even know why i didn't liked it or to be more precise: i couldn't exactly say why. Then i watched "Everything wrong with.." of the movie aaaaaand it made *click* in my head. The plothole in the script are bigger than the holes in our Emmentaler.

Here the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W529m44OT0Y
22mins. That's one of the longest.

Anyway, on the other hand i totally agree with Guardians on 1st place. It was an awesome flick. The characters were neat, i had a really good laugh throughout the movie and the dance off was spectacular.