The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'll add my voice to the crowd: please do a Street Sharks episode Bob!

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
/observes Street Sharks and Trollz cartoon references

Oh, look, more cheesy-looking DiC properties. Color me surprised.

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Mummies Alive! deserves a mention if not a whole episode. That show was just weird. And yeah Street Sharks featured prominently on my watching list along with extreme dinosaurs, biker mice from mars and my favorite, Swat Kats. It was like Top Gun only goose didn't die and it was Cat people fighting monsters.

Although really i think an episode needs to go to that magical golden age of cartoons on WB. There was time when they were making Tiny Toons, Freakzoid, Hysteria, AND Animaniacs (and by extension Pinky and the Brain). Great line up on that channel saturday mornings.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Mikeyfell said:
Damn Bob, I had all of the Street Sharks toys.
I never even knew there was a show...

Please do that episode.
HOW DID YOU NOT KNOW?!
dude, fuckin' Street Sharks was awesome.

THEY ARE SHARKS THAT FIGHT CRIME AND ONE OF THEM DOES SO ON ROLLER BLADES

I can't believe it, but i STILL remember the words to that theme song ><

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'll definitely be looking forward to the rest of 90's Month, especially for all the nostalgia. I never watched anything troll-related, but I DO recall "Street Sharks", albeit very vaguely.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I remembered seeing these troll knock offs as a kid when I was at Toys R Us, but I missed out on seeing the shows, mostly because I didn't know about any of them.

As for the original Trolls themselves, I had like 2 or 3 and that was it.

NinjaDC

Jan 24, 2010
This puts Bobby Hills obsession with troll dolls in a new perspective....
Wait, how did that not get brought up in this episode?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sylocat said:
MovieBob said:
My personal favorite of these attempts was Hasbro's Battle Trolls, which reworked whatever boy-toy theme they could think of into Troll form. See: Count Trollula, Sergeant Troll, Trollclops, Punk Troll, Slapshot Troll, the Trollminator, &c.

And now, MLP fan artists are doing that with ponies...

As if MLP needs it. What little boy doesn't want to be an equine princess?

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
"Our stones of power glow!"

Catchy.

Phuctifyno said:
Your opinion has been objectively proven wrong by science:

How dare you mock a hard-working licensed contractor.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Z of the Na said:
...I freaking loved Street Sharks. Still do.

MB202 said:
Street Sharks... now THERE'S a TV series I watched like Hell as a kid... So much so I want to buy all the episodes on DVD or iTunes or whatever, but I can't for the life of me find any.
You're in luck, my friend.

The entire series was recently put on Amazon DVD. [http://www.amazon.com/Street-Sharks-Complete-Episode-Series/dp/B00AQ590IC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=17OQGCK8OH0XW&coliid=IRH2P01J2UWCG]
Aww sweet, thanks dude!

I like how the moment Bob mentioned Street Sharks, the ENTIRE thread/topic lit up.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I used to love Street Sharks. Also that other Ninja Turtles knockoff which was basically the same but with dinosaurs.

I haven't seen it since I was a kid, it was probably terrible, but ah the memories :)

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
SHIT! I just remembered a most awesome cartoon, I'm not sure about the title though. I THINK it was called Pirates of the Dark Seas or something, it was a pirate-themed cartoon in a fantasy setting, there was this dark water that pull down and destroy every ship it touched and all, and then there was the good guy and I think he had some sort of magical sword or something. I first came to know by means of a SNES game, and then I saw it in either Cartoon Network or Globo (a HUGE Brazilian network)

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
O_O Holy shit, I remember the wrestling troll. I think my friend had one when we were really little and I loved how it had a gem on the front. Oh my god, this feeling of nostalgia is weird. Is this how MovieBob feels all the time? <.<

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I clearly did not spend enough time watching TV in the 90s, because I've never heard of 2/3rd of this stuff!

Proverbial Jon said:
I grew up in the 90s and I barely remember Trolls. I know my sister had a few of them but she's 15 years older than me so she was hardly the target audience at the time.
I think the traditional-looking ones were marketed as some kind of collectable thing though - my mother had three of them at one point.