The Big Picture: Trolling The 90s

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Damn Bob, I had all of the Street Sharks toys.
I never even knew there was a show...

Please do that episode.

riftermcriftington

Dec 11, 2010
I had a Cornelius Stone Protector when I was a kid and I picked up a Streetshark from a yard sale. They may have all been gimmicky cash ins chasing the Ninja Turtles runaway success but it was far back enough in time that crass consumerism seemed quaint.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Oh, my god, I was just thinking about the Stone Protectors yesterday. Weird how crap from your formative years just... bubbles up when you're not expecting it.

I'd hate to be that guy whose power was "I can, like, CLIMB stuff." Can you imagine? "Okay, you get super-strength, you get super-speed, you get a sonic scream, you get a genius intellect and invisibility, and you..." "Yes?" "Here's a grappling hook. Go nuts."

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Oh god I remember those things. I don't remember the TV shows though. Don't think I ever saw them.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Wait! I remember the Street Sharks!

It was so weird...

Anyway, aren't we all glad that merchandising the crap out of things (even things you don't have the copyright to) is over, right?

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
As much as I love Sonic Satam, I still can't beleve how much garbage DIC would and or did end up making. Seriously WTF did I just watch?!?

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Why hasn't someone made a Trololol Troll yet? And I remember Street Sharks... Barely. Stuff like that made Pokemon seem like the best show ever.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Troll dolls creeped me the fuck out as a child. Now that I know those failed attempts at knock-offs and tv series were made... well, let's just say it's definitely a good thing I insisted on rewatching Thomas the Tank Engine stories until I was eight.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
2015? We'll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it :p
Wow... that was the most subtle one I heard from you yet, Bravo...

Anyways, them 90's cartoons... I swear, If I was in someway, anyway, involved with the production of those cartoons, I would be ashamed enough to never include it on my resume...

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
MovieBob said:
My personal favorite of these attempts was Hasbro's Battle Trolls, which reworked whatever boy-toy theme they could think of into Troll form. See: Count Trollula, Sergeant Troll, Trollclops, Punk Troll, Slapshot Troll, the Trollminator, &c.

And now, MLP fan artists are doing that with ponies...

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I had a bunch of Trolls... even the Cabbage Patch kind of ones - I loved my Scottie. (He was dressed in a little blue/green jumper and hat with plaid shirt unerneath).... Yeah, I had a bunch. The little baby versions were my favorite. I think they used to ride my MLP toys around the orange shag carpet (forest) of my parent's bedroom, too.

My dad still has one from the 50's in the green felt shorts. Still has it sitting out on a shelf and it's in great shape. Kind of creepy compared to the 90's versions, but I still like it.

Now... I wonder if Scottie is buried in boxes at my place, or if he's at my parents? I should get hime back before they move if it is at their place...

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Pfft, I only played with top of the line cartoon tie in toys, none of that troll bullshit.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Oh man. These intros and commercials are making me cringe. I can't believe I liked this stuff.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
Stone Protectors were the only thing that got my attention. That flint thing was cool when younger. Not sure why. On Street Sharks, keep in mind the Toys better then the show. While Ninja Turtles better show then toys. I bought a crap load of both when younger. Only one of my Street Shark toys is still around.

Do look forward to more of the 90s stuff. Hope you do something regarding Ahh Real Monster. Since that one I loved for the same reasons as JTHM, Invader Zim, Addams Family, The Monsters, ect.