The Big Picture: Untransformed

ManInRed

May 16, 2010
They're letting Michael Bay make another Transformers movie? No, no, no. Though it does explain why the Matrix didn't work last time.

THAT man lacks the touch to given that kind of power. So I will choose not to accept this aspect of reality. Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep mini bong, there IS only one Transformers movie... Yes.

The question that once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic...
...For I now find I have no choice at all.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
What's amazing about Bob is that he still doesn't seem to understand the notion that a person's taste in films isn't necessarily indicative of the their intelligence or intellectual capabilities. To say otherwise and to use it as fact is incredibly ignorant. I do question someone's tastes if the legitimately enjoyed that last two Transformers films, but I'm not about to question how smart they are. One has very little, if anything, to do with the other. I can understand Bob's anger towards the fact that Transformers is as successful as they've been, but to marginalize people's intelligence because of it is downright stupid.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
I still think the first Transformers was great, and captured the essence of the show and mythology as well as you could.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Vausch said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I still do not know why he is harping on the green lantern it was not that bad all things considered.
Actually, it was. I don't think it was as terrible as Bob made it out to be, but it was pretty darn bad. I went into the movie fairly unbiased and had a friend with me that had never read a single comic and she hated it too. Yes, I knew who the Green Lanterns were, had a basic rundown of the story, and understood a lot of the lore, but I haven't gone through the entire history of the comics (yet) and was going to pick at them for not getting a character's hairstyle right.

And yes, it is understandable for different opinions, but there are times when a film can just be provably bad. This was one of them.
I tend to hate subpar films but I found GL to be ok at best the worest thing about it was it was draggy. It was hella better than Ghost rider/Batman 4(the one before bale)/Xmen 3/Spiderman 3(and reboot >> lulz),All the TF films,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect.

I just have seen far worse and far better.
I'd have to say in terms of terrible, it's much worse than Spiderman 3 (I liked it, I know the flaws and what was missed out on, but I hold it much higher than other "bad" superhero movies) and I'd put GL about on par with the 90s Captain America. See, the biggest problems I had with it were what they did to Parallax, they never expound upon the rings' weakness to yellow, the CGI is very sub-par, the entire movie looks like it has a green film over it, we never find out what happened to Amanda Waller, they let Hal keep the most powerful weapon in the universe after quitting the GL corps, Sinestro has NO REASON to take the yellow ring (you can't even say it's because he wants power, that is NEVER given any foreshadowing and reason), and as an added kick to the teeth the movie is way too loud at the "ABLOOGY WOOGY WOO" moments. I'm not even talking like the theatre was too loud, it had to be the sound in the movie itself because it was just as bad when I saw it at home.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Respect the material???

BWAHAHAHAHA!

It's Transformers! A weekday afternoon cartoon/toy product line!

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
"The person is great, but People [as a group] are dumb..."

Our best scientists are still searching for a solution to that problem. So untill one is found, I propose that all people wait till the critics give it a verdict before going to see it. That way, they'll not get as much income from people trying to find out for themselves if it's good.

Or we could all mob iTunes with purchase orders for Scot Pilgrim at the same time until they get the money they deserve... 'cause, you know, numbers can sway the favor.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
As much as I find myself agreeing with Moviebob, I am dead tired of this "Marching Morons"/"Idiocracy"/"Brave New World" us versus them crap.
I know that it's easy to look at "the masses" and make these big lump generalizations.
I know that it makes the crap parts of society easier to explain and therefore easier to handle.
I know that it makes it feel better to have un-popular opinions or be a fan of a niche genre, or "someone with a brain" (however you choose to define that last one)
but the world is god-damn complicated and the explanations that DO exist aren't always the ones that leave you feeling like your a member of the Brotherhood of Evil God Damn Mutants.
Entertainment is subjective, and what you get is what you get.
Can entertainment be criticized then? Yes, and as well it should be, but that doesn't mean you get to create some kind of BS narrative about "leaders" and "followers" or "idiot nation" or whatever.
The only real reason to do it, is because it FEELS good and it makes things easier to swallow, when the real problem isn't figuring out how to swallow something, but to figure how to not swallow it in the first place.

"Steppenwolf" > "Brave New World"
Any day

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I was expecting a terrible movie for the third one and I was right. At least it wasn't as bad as the second one, did that movie even have a plot? Oh well, I'll probably just not bother watching the 4th.

Also that Rock movie sounds awful, I you would have to pay me to watch that and I bill out at $125 an hour.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
*Pauses the video right at the start.*

Okay, so since this is about transformers, Movie Bob is inevitably going to make some joke that a dozen or so people are going to take the wrong way, take personally, and complain about on the forum because they feel as though he attacked them personally. Usually a sure sign that what he said really hit a nerve.

*Pauses the video at 1:42*

Oh heck no, he just used the word nimrod. He is now officially given the forum all it needs to hate and slander his name again, although every single one of these people will likely come back to see his videos next week, the week after, and likely all the way up to his next transformers review where we can all do this same chant and dance one more time and I can make yet another forum post like this, one more time.

Let's see the lineup.

Kanatatsu said:
This was so snotty and condescending it makes me want to give Bob a swirly just on general principle.
Casual Shinji said:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.
FelixG said:
Wow, bob insulting people who happen to not agree with him.

If I didn't know better I would think he was an average forum goer!
anthony87 said:
Christ Bob, rein in the fucking elitism a bit would you?
Jimmybobjr said:
Im hating Bob More and more every single episode he does.

I mean, god. Sucessful movies are sucessful for a reason, man.
And there you have it. I guess Movie Bob got it spot on when he said, "Sometimes you really can see these things coming."

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Vausch said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Vausch said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I still do not know why he is harping on the green lantern it was not that bad all things considered.
Actually, it was. I don't think it was as terrible as Bob made it out to be, but it was pretty darn bad. I went into the movie fairly unbiased and had a friend with me that had never read a single comic and she hated it too. Yes, I knew who the Green Lanterns were, had a basic rundown of the story, and understood a lot of the lore, but I haven't gone through the entire history of the comics (yet) and was going to pick at them for not getting a character's hairstyle right.

And yes, it is understandable for different opinions, but there are times when a film can just be provably bad. This was one of them.
I tend to hate subpar films but I found GL to be ok at best the worest thing about it was it was draggy. It was hella better than Ghost rider/Batman 4(the one before bale)/Xmen 3/Spiderman 3(and reboot >> lulz),All the TF films,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect.

I just have seen far worse and far better.
I'd have to say in terms of terrible, it's much worse than Spiderman 3 (I liked it, I know the flaws and what was missed out on, but I hold it much higher than other "bad" superhero movies) and I'd put GL about on par with the 90s Captain America. See, the biggest problems I had with it were what they did to Parallax, they never expound upon the rings' weakness to yellow, the CGI is very sub-par, the entire movie looks like it has a green film over it, we never find out what happened to Amanda Waller, they let Hal keep the most powerful weapon in the universe after quitting the GL corps, Sinestro has NO REASON to take the yellow ring (you can't even say it's because he wants power, that is NEVER given any foreshadowing and reason), and as an added kick to the teeth the movie is way too loud at the "ABLOOGY WOOGY WOO" moments. I'm not even talking like the theatre was too loud, it had to be the sound in the movie itself because it was just as bad when I saw it at home.
I saw the both bad CA films and yet say that GL is simply not that bad, now the Xmen films treated the lore worse IMO but were a tad better paced but all in all I could stand GL more.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I dunno, if I cared for the content that much seeing how I have only seen the first Transformers movie, but anything linking Idiocracy and MIB is worth watching!

Genixma

Sep 22, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:
Im hating Bob More and more every single episode he does.

I mean, god. Sucessful movies are sucessful for a reason, man.
I just go with it. Like he's said before, he now watches movies as a job rather than for fun. And for some reason I feel like he's becoming the type of critic he's hated. And for some reason I feel like him and Jim have switched places. Where the Jimquisition has become at least somewhat thoughtful. MovieBob is becoming a person who is beating a dead horse of "I disliked this movie, they did it wrong imo, so now I'm just going to keep beating the horse."

On the other side of the coin, Yahtzee said if you like something then nothing he (or anyone else) can say will remove you from your idea of if you liked the film or not. Unless there is a niggling little doubt in the back of your head that you do not like it as much as you think you do.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Man that Captain America costume is meh. The one from First Avenger was great but that is pretty terrible.

ZexionSephiroth

Apr 7, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
As much as I find myself agreeing with Moviebob, I am dead tired of this "Marching Morons"/"Idiocracy"/"Brave New World" us versus them crap.
I know that it's easy to look at "the masses" and make these big lump generalizations.
I know that it makes the crap parts of society easier to explain and therefore easier to handle.
I know that it makes it feel better to have un-popular opinions or be a fan of a niche genre, or "someone with a brain" (however you choose to define that last one)
but the world is god-damn complicated and the explanations that DO exist aren't always the ones that leave you feeling like your a member of the Brotherhood of Evil God Damn Mutants.
Entertainment is subjective, and what you get is what you get.
Can entertainment be criticized then? Yes, and as well it should be, but that doesn't mean you get to create some kind of BS narrative about "leaders" and "followers" or "idiot nation" or whatever.
The only real reason to do it, is because it FEELS good and it makes things easier to swallow, when the real problem isn't figuring out how to swallow something, but to figure how to not swallow it in the first place.

"Steppenwolf" > "Brave New World"
Any day
While the masses might not nessacarily be an idiocracy, the fact remains that big movie companies are now choosing the safe route of "Let's appeal to everybody". All while completely forgeting the words of wisdom: "those that try to pander to all, satisfy none"... or something to that effect, wherever I heard that line has probably twisted it a few times first.

And so... We're back where we started. And now caught up in a serious line of thought, I must propose a real 'solution'.

Hollywood should go back and take their media class again. It probably comes under "Audience", as in "know your audience" or "specific audience". In which my high school media teacher would say "the more specific the audience the better".

If it's not under "Audience", then I think there's probably something called "Targeted Marketing"; And wether that exists or not, Hollywood seems to ignore it.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
Moviebob, can we please get away from movies you don't like.

The real interesting part of this segment was the idea that Michael Bay is working on Transformers to help green light another movie idea. I never knew future movies were traded like commodities between a director's wants and what companies want.

Everything else about why people who like such movies are idiots is just childish and doesn't actually make an argument. Look at the Green Lantern review, you talked about what about the film was bad, i.e. bad actors selection, bad special effects, and so on. Now listen to your review of Transformers. You're calling the moviegoers of such films idiots. I think you never should have reviewed Transformers 2 and 3 because your complaints are the same for both movies and they devolve into ad-hominums toward the audience without really addressing the film.

If you don't like the film, REVIEW SOMETHING ELSE!

Your Star Wars review asked fans to move on and quick making such a big deal over the films-
physician, heal thyself.

If you think there are better movies coming out than Transformers then review those movies. Not everyone follows movie premiers and big budget movies like Transformers have the revenue to flood advertising.

OZITOMAI

Jul 8, 2009
i get what your saying bob, but i have to rage abit against you, the spiderman reboot is looking way! better than toby mcquaries one, the actor fits the more witty and geeky peter parker, its following the actual comics this time and by the looks of it, it shows an interesting twist, i dont get you sometimes.

marvel now has control over spiderman movies and wants to create a new one that everyone will enjoy, toby as spiderman wasn't witty or geeky really, just more serious and this new guy does the opposite but has an serious side to him aswell, so just drop the stupid idea of this reboot being bad

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Bob, I like your stuff. You usually state your opinions so well. You usually have good reasoning. But here, you basically said "This movie is going to suck and anyone who likes it is dumb". I mean, dude. I liked thor. I liked captain america. I liked the hulk. But I also like 2 fast 2 furious. Does my enjoyment of that one movie make me dumb? I like explosions and car chases, but I don't think that's anything to base my IQ or knowledge on. You don't have to be mad anymore. It's over. You might have to sit through one more transformers. I'm sorry. But, taking it out on a huge rant against the mainstream audience and calling everyone who likes explosions dumb just was not the way to go here. There's being an intellectual with opinions, and then there's being a dick. You crossed the dick line with this episode here, bob. There was no reason whatsoever to stereotype and insult the entire mainstream movie audience. Yes, the loss of transformers to the mainstream audience is sad. But you know what? You still have the Avengers to look forward to. So stop whining and insulting people for no reason.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I've been saying "people are stupid" since before it was cool.

I guess I'm what you call an "Old School Pessimist".

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
OZITOMAI said:
marvel now has control over spiderman movies and wants to create a new one that everyone will enjoy, toby as spiderman wasn't witty or geeky really, just more serious and this new guy does the opposite but has an serious side to him aswell, so just drop the stupid idea of this reboot being bad
Small correction: The OPPOSITE is actually true of most of that - Marvel DOESN'T have control over Spider-Man, and the point of making this movie is to ensure that they don't get to.

Prior to operating their own studio (and that studio becoming part of Disney) Marvel primarily "licensed" the movie-rights their properties to other studios - Sony owns the rights to Spider-Man, Fox owns the X-Men, etc.

Now that Marvel DOES have their own outfit working (which produces the Avengers-affiliated movies) they have also been exercising their contractual-ability to reclaim movie-rights to certain characters if the studios who initially licensed them are not willing or able to produce NEW movies with them within a certain timeframe, which is how they got The Hulk "back" from Universal. Part of the reason that Sony pressed ahead with a lower-budget/cheaper-actors remake of Spider-Man rather than keeping the original series going somehow is to make sure it happened quickly (and could spawn sequels quickly) enough to prevent Marvel Studios from taking the character back.