The Big Picture: Untransformed

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
"Bad Boys" is, hands down, the best Michael Bay Movie Ever Made. It's a dark comedy with a lot of heart. I think most of that is the restriction of budget made the people making it believe in what they were making. Bad Boys 2, on the other hand, is what happens when they had all the options in the world.

Now, this isn't saying a lot, looking at Michael Bay's repertoire.

Okay, actually, that Got Milk commercial is the Best Michael Bay Movie Ever Made.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
ClanCrusher said:
*Pauses the video right at the start.*

Okay, so since this is about transformers, Movie Bob is inevitably going to make some joke that a dozen or so people are going to take the wrong way, take personally, and complain about on the forum because they feel as though he attacked them personally. Usually a sure sign that what he said really hit a nerve.

*Pauses the video at 1:42*

Oh heck no, he just used the word nimrod. He is now officially given the forum all it needs to hate and slander his name again, although every single one of these people will likely come back to see his videos next week, the week after, and likely all the way up to his next transformers review where we can all do this same chant and dance one more time and I can make yet another forum post like this, one more time.

Let's see the lineup.

Kanatatsu said:
This was so snotty and condescending it makes me want to give Bob a swirly just on general principle.
Casual Shinji said:
Way to contradict yourself... again. *points to The Phantom Menace episode*

Oh, and nice one on insulting the fans of these movies... again.

Seriously, Bob; Grow up.
FelixG said:
Wow, bob insulting people who happen to not agree with him.

If I didn't know better I would think he was an average forum goer!
anthony87 said:
Christ Bob, rein in the fucking elitism a bit would you?
Jimmybobjr said:
Im hating Bob More and more every single episode he does.

I mean, god. Sucessful movies are sucessful for a reason, man.
And there you have it. I guess Movie Bob got it spot on when he said, "Sometimes you really can see these things coming."
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! I'm included! ^_^

Although I fail to see how what I said or what any of the other people shows any impression of taking it personally. I'm not actually what someone would consider a fan of the Transformers movies, sure I've seen the first two but if someone was to bring them up it'd just be thinking "Meh" the whole time so I have no reason to take what he said personally.

I just happen to think that taking every opportunity you can to say degrading things about people just for liking a certain movie is the wrong way to go about discussing things. While watching the video I couldn't shake this vibe of "we don't take kindly to you folk around here" which I think is elitist as hell which is shame because Bob is very good at what he does when he's not using a video just to rant about how stupid people are.

Yes, I'll watch his videos next week because I'm a big fan of his videos. Just because I'm a fan doesn't mean I have to agree with and hang onto every single word he says. Hell, not agreeing with him on a particular point/video usually leads to good discussion in the forums with the people who do agree.

And on that note I'll bid you adieu. Perhaps next time you should try contributing to the thread instead of just rushing to the online defense of someone who really doesn't need it. Not that I see any problem with something like that, in fact I think it's kinda cute ^_^

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Jimmybobjr said:

Because they're POPULAR, which does not necessarily mean they're GOOD. Did you love the popular kids when you were in high school? Did you say "Wow, those kids are popular for a reason. They deserve it."

By your logic, Jersey Shore is at least 5 times better than Firefly because it's been renewed for so many more seasons, and Justin Bieber is probably better than your favorite band.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Strain42 said:
Jimmybobjr said:

Because they're POPULAR, which does not necessarily mean they're GOOD. Did you love the popular kids when you were in high school? Did you say "Wow, those kids are popular for a reason. They deserve it."

By your logic, Jersey Shore is at least 5 times better than Firefly because it's been renewed for so many more seasons, and Justin Bieber is probably better than your favorite band.
They're popular for a reason, mr circular logic.

Popular, successful movies often have a broader appeal, are easier to understand, and have a grand scale that can be appreciated on a universal level. Transformers, Avatar, Star Wars, Titanic, all those movies have simple plots, a huge cast of characters, at least one of which is likely to appeal to you, and massive settings with huge stakes. Some cleverdicks may find these stories clichéd, mawkish, or possessing reprehensible messages, but they are still likely to have paid to watch the movie anyway.

Carl The Manicorn

Jun 16, 2009
Good episode. A little rant-y, but I leaned.

Also, the "Idoacracy" stills made me laugh everytime they were shown. Love that movie.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Michael Bay doesn't do anything to get people to show up to the films. It's the Transformers name itself that does all the leg work.

Jimmybobjr

Aug 3, 2010
Strain42 said:
Jimmybobjr said:

Uhh, no shit?

I mean, i was under the assumption that Beiber and Jersey were hates Because They were popular.

Why is beiber popular? Because girls all around the world live his singing. Just because the part of the internet that hates him and his music exists, doesnt mean that his music is bad. I know that, quite litteraly, almost every single girl that was in my Highschool science class loved bieber, loved twilight and loved the flaunt both of them around.

Yes, i hate them. But just because i hate them doesnt mean that they arent good to someone.

Let me put it this way; My favorite books?? Matthew Reilly's. (Look it up) Why arent they popular? Because not a whole bunch of people like reading longer books written by an Australian who writes about American conspiracies. Why is twilight popular? Because Millions of girls all around the world Want to read a book about a strong romance book.
The same thing applies to music; The Beiber is more popular than my favourite band, Korpiklaani, because the genre of music is more enjoyable to the greater masses. Folk/Metal just doesnt resonate with either the Lovey-Pop music crowd, or the Rap/Dubstep crowd, for what i presume are obvious reasons.

Taking it one step further; Popular people are popular for a reason.

I wasnt popular in school. Why? Cause im probably that fattest person in Western Australia. Have been for years. Why was someone else popular? Becuase they were
a) Rich, therefore able to squander cash and invite people over to the no doubt rich homes, b) Good at sports, therefore (In a sporty country; where sports are a massive part of school life) people would automatically try and join the (Litteral) Winning team, and
c) Were a much better alternative to being friends with the obese short guy who was only known for enjoying "Video Games" Such as "Kingdom Hearts".

So yes, popular people are popular for a reason, and, whether by fate or design, they deserve it.

Now i would love to debunk that Jersey shore/FireFly thing, but i cant. Mainly because Jersey shore isnt a Australian thing, and i have no idea what it is, and i saw FireFly, but Didnt like it.

(FakeEdit: Upon some quick googling, i cant find a single mention of Jersey Shore airing in Australia, the only direct reference was someone called Snooki "Comming to Australia" at some point. The only knowledge i have of this show is off Memebase, so im not even including that in my responce)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And Hawkeye looks like...Like you can't win 'em all I guess.

Stilkon said:
I honestly don't think that anyone who was disappointed by the last three movies is going to be hopeful for this one.
They were hopeful for the last one, and the one before that.

Pattern recognition is not strong in fanboys. Beyond that, it furthers the cycle by generating even more outrage. What's worse than a shitty Transformers movie? A shitty Transformers movie when you're expecting a good one. Or at least a decent one.

Same happened with Star Wars and Spider-Man (More with the former, because the number of people who hated it were higher).

Rocky and Bullwinkle were before my time, but they ran like crazy in syndication when I was young. You could see 'em on like ten channels. This is going somewhere, trust me.

So there was this bit that served as a bumper between segments, where Bullwinkle would say he was going to pull a Rabbit out of his hat. There were four variants, none of which produced a rabbit. One features Rocky saying "that trick never works," and another Bullwinkle says "This time for sure."

I think people in general tend to suffer from this, from politics to entertainment. We Tip Our Hats to the New Revolution, Pick Up Our Guitars and Play, and Get Down On Our Knees and Pray....We Don't Get Fooled Again. It's like, a natural human tendency. But it's always worse with the fanatics, be they comic fanatics or religious zealots.

And in all cases, it usually ends up being "meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

"This time, for sure!"

A lot of the people who hate the movies go back for just this reason. A lot of people who bitched about Transformers: Another Brick in the Wall will be back for this "Reboot." Just like pretty much everyone I knew who hated Star Wars: Episode 1 went back to see Attack of the Clones.

370999 said:
I love the whole us and them aspect to this. The nimrdo nation compared to Bob's sophisticated lovers of cinema who enjoy the fine film of G.I Joe and engage in intelligent discussions of the perkiness of an actress breasts while stating their opposition to misogyny.
XD. Yeah, love the contradiction of going crazy over Transformers but loving GI Joe.

Because action movies with a lot of explosions are for dumb people...Unless Snake Eyes is in it.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
MovieBob said:
Casual Shinji said:
When has it become the general assumtion that someone's taste is in direct connection to their inteligence? Bob himself is a rather smart fellow, yet he likes movies such as Sucker Punch. Does that mean he's an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to operate vehicles? No, it means he's a guy who likes the occasional crap film. He's no different from the people who happen to like the Transformers movies.
Alright, responding to this is probably a mistake on my part but I've had about enough of this particular point - the Sucker Punch thing, I mean.

Firstly, there is a difference between a movie (or any other piece of art) being smart/stupid/meaningful/shallow and being GOOD or BAD (or "well-executed" or poorly-executed) in any one person's opinion. I don't "expect" everyone to call, "Sucker Punch" GOOD; but that it's NOT a "stupid" film - that it's actually slightly over-stuffed with IDEAS, meaning, layers of symbolism both thematic and visual, genuine imagination and actually attempts (with mixed results, to be sure) to actual SAY something is objectively provable simply by watching it... which I'll give you the benefit of the doubt by assuming you did. It is, in as measurable a way as possible, a smarter movie than any of the Transformers films (which are OPENLY "about" as little as possible); to the point that there's really no discernable reason to compare them.

However, if you're looking for the "difference" between appreciating these two nothing-to-do-with-eachother films, it comes down to where the appreciation comes from. I can find you other legitimate reviews - positive and negative - of "Sucker Punch" aside from mine that found something intellectually engaging about the film. This is NOT as true for the "Transformers" films (though I'm sure a few can be found) whose most passionate defenders tend to come down on the side of "I just want to turn off my brain and watch the fireworks!" "not every movie has to be high-art!" or some variation thereof.
Just because Sucker Punch tried to be clever, doesn't mean it was actually all that clever. I personally don't understand the rationale that trying to seem intelligent and failing makes a movie a whole lot better than another movie that doesn't bother to try and seem intelligent.

I also don't see how, regardless of whether either movie actually has intellectual merit, how you can say that being willing to appreciate a non-intellectual film is an indication of a lack of intelligence in comparison to those who don't like the non-intellectual film. Just because you don't see merit in a movie, doesn't mean that those who can see merit in it are brainwashed members of the masses who can't think for themselves.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
I get the feeling that the people holding up the common person as the pinnacle of intellect and taste haven't spent much time around the common person.

The epidemic of people who eat nothing but fast food and don't exercise only to say there is nothing they can do about their weight. The people who dress in such bad taste that it can support a website called People of Walmart. The people who think lottery tickets are a great retirement plan. The people when you say what's the last book you read have to think back to their childhood when they were forced to read in school. The people who watch Jersey Shore in large enough numbers to make the cast celebrities.

If loving bland predictable movies with cutting edge special effects was the only thing pointing to the common person being an idiot maybe you'd have a case for it's just taste, but there is too much stupid out there to claim popularity equals quality.

The funniest part though is how people get all mad because somehow they have never done anything stupid in their lives. I'm not the world's smartest person but at least I'm smart enough to say I've done some stupid things and made some bad decisions.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Vausch said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Vausch said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
I still do not know why he is harping on the green lantern it was not that bad all things considered.
Actually, it was. I don't think it was as terrible as Bob made it out to be, but it was pretty darn bad. I went into the movie fairly unbiased and had a friend with me that had never read a single comic and she hated it too. Yes, I knew who the Green Lanterns were, had a basic rundown of the story, and understood a lot of the lore, but I haven't gone through the entire history of the comics (yet) and was going to pick at them for not getting a character's hairstyle right.

And yes, it is understandable for different opinions, but there are times when a film can just be provably bad. This was one of them.
I tend to hate subpar films but I found GL to be ok at best the worest thing about it was it was draggy. It was hella better than Ghost rider/Batman 4(the one before bale)/Xmen 3/Spiderman 3(and reboot >> lulz),All the TF films,ect,ect,ect,ect,ect.

I just have seen far worse and far better.
I'd have to say in terms of terrible, it's much worse than Spiderman 3 (I liked it, I know the flaws and what was missed out on, but I hold it much higher than other "bad" superhero movies) and I'd put GL about on par with the 90s Captain America. See, the biggest problems I had with it were what they did to Parallax, they never expound upon the rings' weakness to yellow, the CGI is very sub-par, the entire movie looks like it has a green film over it, we never find out what happened to Amanda Waller, they let Hal keep the most powerful weapon in the universe after quitting the GL corps, Sinestro has NO REASON to take the yellow ring (you can't even say it's because he wants power, that is NEVER given any foreshadowing and reason), and as an added kick to the teeth the movie is way too loud at the "ABLOOGY WOOGY WOO" moments. I'm not even talking like the theatre was too loud, it had to be the sound in the movie itself because it was just as bad when I saw it at home.
I saw the both bad CA films and yet say that GL is simply not that bad, now the Xmen films treated the lore worse IMO but were a tad better paced but all in all I could stand GL more.
Just an FYI, there's 3 bad CA movies. The 70s one got a sequel.

You may be right but honestly I haven't seen X 3. Just never bought it or felt a reason to see it. I'd say it's probably on par with the post 2000 Fantastic 4 movies. If you ask why I say "post 2000", they got a movie in 1994 that was so terrible it was never released. Like the JLA movie.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
I love Bob, I seriously do. He's every Critic cliché rolled into one package and not only existing in a fictional setting.
He's elitist? Check.
He's somewhat of a giant douche? Check?
He loves pointing out how much better and smarter he is than everyone else? Check!

I'm going to be brutally clear here: I don't give a flying **** what Transformers "fans" think. I'm one and I loved two of the three movies, so did a bunch of other fans i know as well, but we're not the point. The point here is when I see my nephew watching these films and saying "I love Transformers!" and then becoming the next generation of Transformer enthusiast.

It took me a while to figure out actually, but about a year ago I realized: Some Transformers fans would rather see the brand die and exist only in their little minds rather than changing with the times. They don't want another generation to get to experience it, they consider themselves the last worthy ones.

ablac

Aug 4, 2009
Bob just stop it. Continuing to insult people because of their choice of movie is not something anyone older than 12 should be doing. I agree with you on a lot of things but you go about by insullting those you disagree with continuously. Your just an elitist prick and episodes like this show it. I dont have a problem with these movies and my dad enjoys them a lot. Neither of us are retarded. But according to Bob I shouldnt be aloud to drive or vote because im too stupid. I mean I must be because I dont despise every bit of these movies. Grow up Bob. You wouldnt say what you say about these people to their faces so why say it at all.

Also on the movies being like the comics and actually being good and true to the source material. Those movies make huge amounts of money. They clearly work and "the average moviegoer" seems to have better taste than you think otherwise they would have flopped rather than being the biggest movies in hollywood.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
I love War For Cybertron game, it really portrays the 80s G1 cartoon very well. It also has an interesting story.

But Michael Bay movies really really suck.
In lots of website, I see some weird people argue that "what you expect from a movie that some robots fighting" for the complains of the movies.
Yes, but, that's the problem. Transformers is about robots fighting. And in a Transformers movie, I want "ROBOTS FIGHTING!". I don't want to see Megan Fox, I don't want to see weird looking Shia Labeouf, I don't want to see army pornography, I don't want to see prismatic cgi... I just want to see the robots.

I wish Dreamweave made those movies, like the rebooted Marvel movies.

Mousse Templar

Jan 24, 2012
Yes, the next transformers is (for better or worse)
going to be exactly like the previous installments,
for pretty much the same reasons movieBob lists.

I also think the high production costs of rendering giant
transforming CGI-robot versus the generic romantic sub-plot,
might factor in.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Bonecrusherr said:
I love War For Cybertron game, it really portrays the 80s G1 cartoon very well. It also has an interesting story.

But Michael Bay movies really really suck.
In lots of website, I see some weird people argue that "what you expect from a movie that some robots fighting" for the complains of the movies.
Yes, but, that's the problem. Transformers is about robots fighting. And in a Transformers movie, I want "ROBOTS FIGHTING!". I don't want to see Megan Fox, I don't want to see weird looking Shia Labeouf, I don't want to see army pornography, I don't want to see prismatic cgi... I just want to see the robots.

I wish Dreamweave made those movies, like the rebooted Marvel movies.
G1 had Spike, Chip, Daniel and Carly.
The Unicron Trilogy had some of the most horrible humans ever.
The old comics had Spike, Daniel, G.B Blackrock etc.
Transformers Animated had Sari.
Transformers Prime had those three brats who's death cannot come soon enough.

Transformers has basically never been about robots fighting. The only ones who half-arsedly tried to give that to us fans were Dreamwave and IDW. then McCarthy ruined that part about IDW too.
You want to know why? Even if you and me would love to see the war solely from the Transformer's perspective, that won't sell to the broad masses who are needed to make the movie earn a profit.
I learned this a long time ago when I prayed for the next Transformers cartoon to be like The War Within.
Then again, Transformers: Prime is damn good.

Scooter65

Feb 8, 2011
While nearly everything that Bob does is at least well researched, every once in a while he really hits it home. Great video, one of my favorites thus far.