The Big Picture: #WalrusNo - Why Tusk Is A Bad "Bad" Horror Movie

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Darth Sea Bass said:
Pretty much all I took away from that was "I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith" Ad Infinitum, Yada, Yada.
yup! Moviebob needs to get over his rage over Kevin Smith. At this point he just sounds like a jilted lover who can't get over getting dumped

bobdole1979

Mar 25, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
This entire film came about because of a joke he made during a podcast?

yup pretty much but to be fair Casablanca only exists because two guys made a bet on if they could turn a bad play into a good movie.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Stabby Joe said:
some topics like Smith just get repetitive, more so since I thought the whole point of your multiple episode series on him was to put the pin in the subject...
Bob putting a pin in something and never ever beating that dead horse again? The day I see that is the day I try gay sex.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Okay I don't want to see this movie 'cause it's bad, but... I do kinda want to see the Walrus man...
Do they use practical effects or CG? Does he look like a Frankensteined together mess of stitches and shit? Are there pictures up online or am I gonna have to wait a bit for that?
I'm actually curious... not curious enough to endure this terrible movie but still, kinda curious.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
What's confusing though is that Bob actively no longer likes Smith, ok fine yet he still seems to follow his work in detail. He even criticized his podcast in this episode meaning you'd have to listen to a good chunk of them for hours first... or he has no basis there.

canadamus_prime said:
I have never cared about Kevin Smith and I have no reason to start caring about him now.
That on the other hand is a fair enough stance.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
This episode reminded me of Rubber, a film that I didn?t watch, but heard about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

It is about, I kid you not, a killing tire. Yeah, a common rubber tire, from a car.

Anyone watched it? Is it any good, or just another "emulating a bad movie" that ultimately feels fake?
It's almost more like a weird meta art-house film that's so self-aware that some of the characters in the film are actually aware they're in a movie and will frequently bring it up. Really you just have to watch it, I couldn't even describe it if I tried.

SuicidalBaby

Mar 17, 2014
Honestly, I wouldn't have given Tusk a shot even without this rail against Kevin Smith theme Bob has been pushing. I could have done without this episode as well.

I enjoy most of your work Bob, but this is coming off as pretentious. And yes, even as you are about to focus on this genre, it seems that its more than just coincidence that you have to cover another Kevin Smith failure. You're disappointed in him, we get it. Can you please move on?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
all this talk about sharknado makes me really want to see it. maybe i find the dvd somewhere. if its cheap.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
There is no way that ANYONE thought they were making a good movie when they made Birdemic.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Thoughts on the film aside, I do quite like that the "small budget" model of only spending $1-5 million (without a serious dip in acting or production quality), with a much greater chance of recouping, is slowly coming back.

I think its nice that someone can finance and produce a "slick" film on such a small budget. Maybe then we won't have giant box office flops like Lone Ranger.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I disagree. Sharknado 2 took everything that was awesome about the first movie, and multiplied it by 10 while also cutting out a lot of the boring shit.

I don't care if it was self aware, a man wrangling a shark whilst flying around in a tornado, maneuvering said shark so that it gets impaled on the Empire State building, riding it down in a corkscrew manner so that it perfectly cushions the fall, recognizing that it was the same shark that bit off the terrible actress's hand while she was holding a gun at the beginning of film, and then reaching into the shark to pull out the severed arm with the gun so that he can use the gun to shoot more sharks is ridiculously amazing.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Strangely enough I have been listening to a lot of movie podcasts in the past year and have found a lot of genuinely great "bad" movies.

Some movie writers and authors get really upset when people make fun of movies in the hipster or MST3K type way.

The trailer for Electric Boogaloo the documentary about Golan-Globus products finally dropped
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q08SRDIj_qE

I have seen Enter the Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja and Breakin' quite recently due to the documentary. Van Damme was cast in Cyborg due to spin kicking at the producer's head.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
And that's why Machete sucked. "Look how much we're trying to be a shitty made grindhouse movie!" Cool, I'll be over here watching a movie with sincere motivation.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I still wish there was a movie starring Ray Milland and Ida Lupino that lived up to The Big Picture's theme music.

XavierPrice

Sep 14, 2009
First an 'At the Movies' that was really short, and now a 'Big Picture' explaining why you're basically not doing a Big Picture. You must be working really hard on Schlocktober, Bob, because the last few vids have been a little... barren.

That said, looking forward to it, as always.

Souther Thorn

Apr 5, 2013
Darth Sea Bass said:
Pretty much all I took away from that was "I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith, I don't like Kevin Smith" Ad Infinitum, Yada, Yada.
That's kinda Bob on anything involving Smith.