The Big Picture: #WalrusNo - Why Tusk Is A Bad "Bad" Horror Movie

zvate

Aug 12, 2010
Self aware horror is bad because these self aware horror movies were bad therefor this self aware horror movie was bad... Bob that's one big pile of schlock reasoning with no actual evidence. I enjoy the big picture but this really felt like a filler week of it

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Huh...the more movies Kevin Smith puts out...the more I feel he's gone full Shaymalan.

It's like the last potentially good movie he could have made was Copout...but after Bruce Willis scuttled that film for Smith, he just gave up. If one of my heroes turned out to be such a d-bag, and I had to deal with such shenanigans, I might be affected in some way as well.

Too bad really, I've always liked Smith as a person, if not necessarily a filmmaker (I was too young to get some of his films, too old to care when I got around to the rest).

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
RexMundane said:
The whole "So bad it's good" thing is a bizarre phenomenon indeed, where despite all the obvious ineptness you can still see through it to this Ed Wood core of sincerity that makes everything all the stranger to watch. I'm just now getting into Deadly Premonition (PSA: $6 at the Humble Weekly Bundle [https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly] till thursday) and much of it's charm works in the same way, everything's wrong, but assembled in a way where you can tell there's some kind of insane vision behind it all. It's amazing.

Bonus viewing:

Eh, I disagree. With years of good bad movie watching I haven't really ever given a crap about the intention of the creator. I know nothing of the creation process of many of my favorite Nanar films. So... I think this may be a case of people being incredibly snobbish and prescribing the special knowledge that film snobs would know but general audiences wouldn't.

The main difficulty in making a good bad movie on purpose is the evidence of self-awareness. Probably the only way to get this kind of movie is to hire a cast of people who have no idea what they're doing and only make the most minor alterations yourself. Bad writers, bad actors, etc. If it catches on and you just "HAVE" to make a sequel. Then you may want to consider an entirely different cast. But even then, there's no guarantee that the combination you put together will actually work. The good thing is the cost of making it is really low, the bad thing is that there's a much higher risk. They're basically penny stock even if done right.

Iceklimber

Feb 5, 2013
Why Moviebob's videos have cursewords beeped out while Yahtzee and SterlingJim can flame all day? Even Moviebob did not beep out cursewords in earlier Videos such as Transformers 2 review. Anybody know what is going on?

And in general why do Amerikanskis have to censor sex-related content such as "fuck" which is the most natural thing on earth while Violence showing is totally okay violence, even here on the Escapist you can view a live-action snuff movie.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Devin Barker said:
Couldn't finish this ep, fan of Smith, fan of his pods, saw tusk and loved it. Its like a Troma film on steroids. Kinda tired of the Smith bashing on this show. I get that Bob doesn't like him and to each his own. But do we really need to hop on the bash wagon every few weeks? you just did a 2 pt ep on why you hate the guy... let it go dude. He has a big following that you aren't a part of but that's why he does his new movies the way he does. His target audience is HIS audience and the way he is producing and releasing his films is a a unique/modern approach that I would not be surprised to see more film makers following (much akin to the folks utilizing kickstarter) Im not trying to bash Bob for not liking things I just think he rides this "I hate Smith cuz hes not the guy I wanted him to be" thing a bit to hard.
I'm surprised that as much as he loathes Kevin Smith, he casually mentions how much of an in-joke this is on his "unbearable" podcast. Don't you have to listen to said podcast to know that? Why would someone who is such the antithesis of a fan listen to the guy's podcast?

EDIT: quoted twice...for some reason.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Does anyone else think that Bob's seemingly intense disdain for Smith reeks of a kind of jealousy? I mean, in a lot of ways they're sort of similar: they're both overweight, very stereotypically geeky guys who love comics, movies, and games, both studied film in school, both are from the northeast, etc.

Except Smith (like him or not) is a successful movie director, has a large fan base (his speaking tours sell out fast), is married to an attractive woman and has a family, has the clout to get funding for just about any movie he wants to make (the fact that he made a movie about a guy getting turned into a Walrus is pretty strong evidence of that), and is generally what we'd consider successful, especially considering his first movie was shot in black and white on a budget of less than $30K. Bob has an internet video show and wrote a book on Super Mario 3.

Maybe it's just me, but the way he goes after Smith makes me feel like it's something a little more deep-seated than "I don't like his movies".

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Big_Boss_Mantis said:
This episode reminded me of Rubber, a film that I didn?t watch, but heard about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1612774/

It is about, I kid you not, a killing tire. Yeah, a common rubber tire, from a car.

Anyone watched it? Is it any good, or just another "emulating a bad movie" that ultimately feels fake?
It's something entirely different, it's more like an absurd arthouse movie, a critique of modern cinema told through a slocky b-movie with an idiotic concept. It's basically the movie version of "Hollywood has run out of ideas". I'm not that big of a fan of the movie, i think it gets a bit too pretentious as times, but it does habe some genuinely funny moments and there's some interesting ideas in there. Probably worth a watch, can't say i have seen anything like it before.

The movie shifts between following the Tyre on its murdering rampage and comical scenes where a fictional audience is being treated like shit while they pay to observe the plot with binoculars in hand. It's very self-aware and a tad ham fisted because of this.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Gatx said:
There is no way that ANYONE thought they were making a good movie when they made Birdemic.
You don't know how its going as its going. They probably thought they were making a good movie.

jrralls

Apr 23, 2013
Some people have said that my movie was trying to be "so bad it's good." And that's simply not true. I tried to make the best movie I could given the budget and the subject material;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADLv1803Vw

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Bob Chipman makes yet another attack on Kevin Smith because Smith failed to live up to Bob's expectations of him forever making GenX indie flicks. In other shocking twists, the sky is still blue and bears still shit in the woods.

Come on, Bob, this is getting very embarrassing for you. How about changing it up for once?

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
Ihateregistering1 said:
Does anyone else think that Bob's seemingly intense disdain for Smith reeks of a kind of jealousy? I mean, in a lot of ways they're sort of similar: they're both overweight, very stereotypically geeky guys who love comics, movies, and games, both studied film in school, both are from the northeast, etc.

Except Smith (like him or not) is a successful movie director, has a large fan base (his speaking tours sell out fast), is married to an attractive woman and has a family, has the clout to get funding for just about any movie he wants to make (the fact that he made a movie about a guy getting turned into a Walrus is pretty strong evidence of that), and is generally what we'd consider successful, especially considering his first movie was shot in black and white on a budget of less than $30K. Bob has an internet video show and wrote a book on Super Mario 3.

Maybe it's just me, but the way he goes after Smith makes me feel like it's something a little more deep-seated than "I don't like his movies".
According to Bob, it's because he thought Kevin Smith represented the kind of person Bob was, and Bob's entire generation. Now while Smith is rich and famous, he still has the demeanor of a lazy slacker who refuses to grow as a filmmaker. I think Bob sees Smith as the personification of the promise his generation failed to live up to.