The Big Picture: Who Are The Guardians of the Galaxy?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
2xDouble said:
That's pretty awesome, Bob, but don't you usually write a column about this sort of thing instead of devoting a Big Picture episode to it? Not really complaining, just curious as to why. I assume there simply isn't that much to talk about lately?
My guess is that he finally realized how much better this works as a video instead of a column. It's really awkward to keep switching between the trailer in one tab and the column in the other.

Aug 1, 2010
Oh god yes, this makes me so happy.

It's pretty incredible the amount of effort these guys put into these scenes when you can pick out gloves and whatnot and identify entire characters and stories.

Also, can we circlejerk about The Ice Pirates some more? Because that movie is great and it was really fun last time.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
2xDouble said:
That's pretty awesome, Bob, but don't you usually write a column about this sort of thing instead of devoting a Big Picture episode to it? Not really complaining, just curious as to why.
I imagine there are two reasons.

1) GotG currently has a lot of buzz and making a video about it could possibly result in a decent amount of hits.
2) Bob probably really wants this movie to succeed and since most people don't know what the Hell this movie even is, he knows there's a fair chance that it won't succeed. So he probably doesn't mind adding to this particular film's hype machine as much as he can.

Yoshi Dragon

Feb 26, 2010
cant believe i have to wait till august for this and they are starting the hype now. the had better not blow this.

aeric90

Mar 31, 2010
Whoever made the inspired decision to use "Hooked on a Feeling" for this movie is a genius who deserves giant bags of money. I cannot watch the trailer without a big grin on my face as a result of the juxtaposition and camp of the whole situation.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
seems very interesting if completely insane, i do think the movie could end up being a box office bomb even if it is good.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Glad we're doing a Let's Watch the Trailer in a Big Picture show. Very refreshing.

Movie looks good. Can't wait.
Couldn't agree more. Beats having to constantly pause and unpause or switch tabs or whatever. Hope you do more of these instead of or in addition to the Intermission article versions.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Great breakdown of the first Guardians of the Galaxy trailer, Bob. Definitely covered a lot of the major questions in regards to this movie and its ties to the Marvel Universe and its cinematic equivalent. I hope you'll consider doing more of these "Let's Watch the Trailer" episodes on The Big Picture. Also, nice nod to The Ice Pirates. That is the second time I've heard someone mention that movie on The Escapist.

So far, the trailer has a lot going for it but it also contains the most risk. While Iron Man and Thor were relatively unknown to the public eye, they have appeared on other aspects of pop culture (toy lines and cartoons to name a few). However, very little is known about this team unless you count the recent episodes from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Ultimate Spider-Man. Plus, while he's gained a cult following with his films, this is perhaps the first major movie project James Gunn has ever landed. However, the same could be said about Joss Whedon and his TV/film track record. If this movie lives up to its hype, then this could lead to other lesser known characters getting their shot at the big screen.

The cast looks very promising. I'm surprised to see Chris Pratt looking ripped and landing a major leading role. It is a far cry from his role in Parks & Recreations. It will be interesting to see Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel pull off their voice acting roles, especially Diesel's Groot. Oddly enough, Groot is way more intelligent than what we've seen (recently proven in The Trial of Jean Grey story going on in All-New X-Men). He just can't express himself beyond those three words. Dave Bastista will be the one to watch since I've only seen him in The Man With The Iron Fists. Personally, I wish he would stick with acting since a lot of wrestling fans are not digging his return to the WWE. Mostly because its overshadowing much better talent like CM Punk and Daniel Bryan. But that is less his fault and more of the higher ups. Finally, Zoe Saldana and Karen Gillan seem to be making a name for themselves in the Sci-Fi genre with their latest roles in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Overall, I cannot wait for this one to hit theaters in August.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Good feature, Bob. From the moment I saw the trailer I was waiting for you to clear out some of the most obscure references in it. You were really helpful since I didn't knew/noticed about 90% of what you said.
2xDouble said:
That's pretty awesome, Bob, but don't you usually write a column about this sort of thing instead of devoting a Big Picture episode to it? Not really complaining, just curious as to why. I assume there simply isn't that much to talk about lately?

On topic: I still have no f***ing idea who these people are. The movie looks neat, but the shifting and contrasting tone of the trailer feels odd. It's hard to tell if they're going for a full-on, Avengers-styled action movie (evocative of Thor, specifically) with some humor, or a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy styled lampoon with some action... or both at once, somehow. I feel like either would be insufficient, given what I "understand" about the material, but doing justice to both is exceedingly difficult. (see: Bay's Transformers)...
I believe the best we can hope for is a good sci-fi action/comedy movie. Think Men in Black (hopefully 1, not so much 2 or 3), or The Fifth Element. If it holds to that level, I can't really complain.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
I was picking out my wallet when I saw the first picture with all the guardians. This trailer makes me almost book a seat in the cinema and pay 5 times extra to convince them I need it, cus I'm sure as hell going to see it.
Why? Marvell, Raccoon, action, the collector, loads of money been thrown at it.... If it fails and turns out to be bad well still going to be worth seeing something so promising...

I'm so happy living with these movies considering before Iron Man etc, most fantasy/scifi/action did not involve neither big budgets nor comedy...
And yes not all Marvell movies has been great, like the latest Thor where a bit underwhelming, but it's good enough for me to have my scifi&fantasy/action need settled a bit...

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
Let me just say that this video was immeasurably better than his previous text commentaries of movie trailers. It was a pain in the ass switching back and forth between two tabs and constantly pausing the trailer myself.

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
The bit about Starlord's walkman stood out to me, because that was one of the parts of the trailer that made me raise an eyebrow. It seemed like it was supposed to be funny, but he just came across as dumb and arbitrary. If he really holds some nostalgia for his time on earth and hates having an artifact like that taken away from him, it would make sense as a character moment (and it might in the final movie). As something funny, it just made him look dumb.

As a whole, I'm really not sure what to think of this movie. I don't want it to be too dumb, but at the very least it looks way different than all the other superhero movies coming out. I was let down by Thor 2, but I'm way more interested in GotG than Captain America 2 or Avengers 2.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
For anyone who doesn't know who these people are, or what the comics are about, let me sum it up in only three words.

Weird. Funny. Awesome.

Guardians of the Galaxy (and Marvel's stellar "Annihilation" cosmic event) was the best book Marvel was putting out during the Civil War era (largely because it eschewed and even mocked that whole crossover event), rejuvenated a bunch of B and C-listers, and catapulted these obscure characters into the cosmos (pun intended) with insanely well-characterized, well-written, well-executed books and storylines that made fans everywhere go from ambivalence towards characters like Drax and Groot and Nova and Starlord and turned them into THE best thing to happen to Marvel since Peter Parker got bit by a radioactive spider.

So, my statement is two fold: 1) Track down the comics. They're amazing. 2) If this movie is anything like the comics, and it appears to be, the movie will incredible.

Now bring on a talking raccoon with a machine gun riding a sentient alien tree blowing away baddies to the tune of "Hooked On A Feeling".

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
This looks like lots of fun, and I'm glad you covered it in video instead of in a text-only version.

I remember the original Guardians of the Galaxy run, now that I saw your pictures for it, but didn't remember the Raccoon. Perhaps it was after my time buying comics. It is good to see another MCU lighthearted, but non-spandex, version of a comic movie. It's also cool that this is a property I can explore to my semi-geeky wife together.

I'd love a NOVA movie.

Also, is Star Lord an attempt to do the snarky personality correctly, which Green Lantern failed at?

Serum211

Sep 28, 2009
Thanks Marvel, and Bob for that matter, no I don't know when that song is gonna leave my head.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Thanks for te insight Bob, mmm it sound like the a chance for a Nova film if that comicbook character is in it.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I have absolutely nothing against this upcoming film, but I think it's going to bomb spectacularly if Disney doesn't spend nearly as much on the advertising as they will making the film itself.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Paradoxrifts said:
I have absolutely nothing against this upcoming film, but I think it's going to bomb spectacularly if Disney doesn't spend nearly as much on the advertising as they will making the film itself.
A lot of effort, perhaps, but not as much money. This trailer was fantastic and it generated a ton of buzz. If they can keep marketing the movie like this, they should be good. I hope they don't show too much.