The Big Picture: Who Are The Guardians of the Galaxy?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Dammit this looks interesting, and here I was planning on skipping it entirely because the premise seemed stupid beyond belief... didn't realize they were going to go the fun villainous rogue ensemble group with this.... sigh.. take my money disney... take it all...

Darxide

Dec 14, 2009
Before this movie was announced I had never heard of Guardian's of the Galaxy nor any of the characters therein. Until I saw the first trailer I was pretty apathetic about the whole thing. After I saw the trailer I'm wetting my pants in anticipation. I don't care if the movie follows the comic book canon very closely or not, the trailer makes this look like a phenomenally entertaining movie.

These people know what they're doing more than anyone who has come before in Hollywood. Paradigm shift engage.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Therumancer said:
We are unlikely to ever get a decent Nova movie,...
Wow. That was a heck of a post. I have no substantial response for this, but thanks for writing.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
My only concern is, will they be able to juggle so many different characters? I suppose they can get away with it if the movie doesn't take itself too seriously, which seems to be the case.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
sageoftruth said:
My only concern is, will they be able to juggle so many different characters? I suppose they can get away with it if the movie doesn't take itself too seriously, which seems to be the case.
Well, the thing about "Guardians Of The Galaxy" is that they aren't putting too many big names into it. Guys like Batista and Vin Diesel aren't exactly "A" or even "B" listers right at the moment (and Vin is just doing voice work). Nor do there seem to be any major talents like "Robert Downy Jr." involved, his role in Iron Man was less a surprise more than a redemption story since he was a disgraced celebrity, but one everyone knew was REALLY talented, so it wasn't a massive surprise when he nailed the role. What this means is that it's pretty easy to effectively focus on one or two main characters, say Star Lord and using the others largely as his supporting cast. With "The Avengers" half the problem was that they had so many big names involved, and even the lesser actors themselves became big names by starring in their own successful movies first. This created the problem of having to seriously play up "Black Widow" for example because it's Scarlet Johansson's character, and of course we have Jeremy Renner doing "Hawkeye" who again should have been more of a supporting character but he has a blossoming action career in his own right, and similar problems.

Basically in this movie you've got three major characters to worry about, Star Lord, Gamorra, and Drax. Drax is more or less a powerhouse who is pretty much a one note "I must kill Thanos" character fully in line with Batista's acting ability. If the guy looks like he can hit on the level of The Hulk (and really I think his physique has that covered) you pretty much have Drax covered, he's there more or less to punch things in some of the fight scenes and to explain why they are just WTFpwned when they fight cosmic entities since Drax is pretty much on the level of Thanos (without the Infinity Gauntlet of course). Gamorra is there to largely do fancy finesse fighting with her sword, and Star Lord is pretty much in the opposite direction except he uses guns (most recently the usual array of sci-fi hardware, but originally he had an element gun that could pretty much create any of the four elements and do things with them). Groot and Rocket are cool, but are cool largely as backround characters/support and being CGI this means they can generally be used to fill things out as needed without having to worry too much about the actors feeling like they are getting shafted, and I mean really Vin Diesel probably only needs to say "I am Groot" about 20 times in slightly different ways and give them a tape of it, and his acting is pretty much done with no matter how many movies they do. :)

If this catches on it seems like it's going to be easier to work with than "Avengers" was.

My biggest problem with it though is that they seem to be trying to turn Star Lord into too much of a goofus, that could just be the trailers (and intentional misdirection) but that's really not the essence of the character. In those trailers he seems like a combination of a less cool Han Solo and Jack Sparrow right up there with the whole "who calls him Star Lord?... himself mostly" combined with the "infamous outlaw" bit. You just don't see how a guy like this could call himself "Star Lord" with a straight face, never mind being the acknowleged leader of a group like this. He's one of those master planner/tactical types conceptually right up there with Batman in DC. Not to mention for a lot of his career he's worn some rather intimidating looking armor that helped sell the entire thing. :)

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Well ... fuck. This smells like Iron Man 2. A movie that existed with no reason other than setting up the Avengers, and simply went through the motions with generic stock and boring bs instead of a smart story or interesting characters. I hope against hope they don't simply use this a 2 hour trailer for 5 other movies the same way Iron Man 2 was a 2 hour trailer for the Avengers. IF they actualy make a smart movie FIRST and after it's released look at what they can do as spin-offs from it, then this will be good. But I seriously doubt the Dark Mouse will allow creativity to take precedence over money.

Then again Frozen was smart ... so Disney might actualy remember it used to have a heart? Oh wait they are making a movie called Maleficent? Nevermind, just cash grabs everywhere ...

chriswolvie

Aug 25, 2009
Going by just the trailer, this'll be an great film! Any trailer that incorporates a sci-fi aesthetic with Blue Suede's "Hooked On a Feeling"...6 stars out of 5!!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I saw a Racoon going nuts shooting a laser gun while riding a tree-man's head, the latter being voiced by Vin Diesel... I already know I'll go more than once to see this on theaters.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don´t really see the appeal, it may be because i´m so tired of the marvel movies, i really think most of them have been pretty terrible and this doesn´t really look like it´s going to be much better. I might give it a shot, but i expect some overly convoluted and drawn out plot packed with fan service. Doesn´t sound that exciting and it kinda gives me flashbacks to Green Lantern, euch. Atleast it´s going to be better than that almost by default.

But man do i hope this whole "movieverse" things ends soon, i hate that you have to sit through all kinds of rubbish movies to get the full picture.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
MrBaskerville said:
I don´t really see the appeal, it may be because i´m so tired of the marvel movies, i really think most of them have been pretty terrible and this doesn´t really look like it´s going to be much better. I might give it a shot, but i expect some overly convoluted and drawn out plot packed with fan service. Doesn´t sound that exciting and it kinda gives me flashbacks to Green Lantern, euch. Atleast it´s going to be better than that almost by default.

But man do i hope this whole "movieverse" things ends soon, i hate that you have to sit through all kinds of rubbish movies to get the full picture.
I like it, instead of the culmination movie having an extra bit stuck on the front, each character in the movie gets his or her own movie.

You get the back story and motivation of the person, they get to look all badass all by themselves and the culmination movie gets to just go ape shit with the action after it sets up the bad guy.

I have to ask, if you're so dead set against these films, why "I might give it a shot"? Sound like a masochist to me!

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
omega 616 said:
MrBaskerville said:

I like it, instead of the culmination movie having an extra bit stuck on the front, each character in the movie gets his or her own movie.

You get the back story and motivation of the person, they get to look all badass all by themselves and the culmination movie gets to just go ape shit with the action after it sets up the bad guy.

I have to ask, if you're so dead set against these films, why "I might give it a shot"? Sound like a masochist to me!
I just don't they've really used it for anything interesting yet, they kinda ruined Iron Man 2 with all the stuff setting up Avengers. The thing is, i can't say whether it's good or not just by watching the trailer, i can see that it looks rather bland but i wouldn't know until i've actually seen the thing. If it gets decent reviews i might reluctantly give it a shot, mainly because, for every crappy Thor and Captain America movie, there's an Iron Man 3, which was a pretty decent and entertaining action movie. Most often they miss, but i want to be there (atleast on a cheap dvd) when they actually manage to deliver the goods.