The Big Picture: Who Was That At The End of Guardians of the Galaxy?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I saw the movie in a private screening, essentially me and fifteen friends and friends of friends. So, like, two or three close friends and the rest being appreciable acquaintances. Whatever.

The thing is, I couldn't stop myself from going "OSHIT! HOWARD THE DUCK!" when that came up, which immediately elicited big-ass facial question marks from the younger people in the audience.

Then, I kind of felt guilty for being thirty-one and having seen the actual movie. I had to give my twenty year-old cousin a complete rundown of Marvel's more gonzo years, as he's one of those whippersnappers who thinks Blade was always an edgy mofo played by Wesley Snipes.

Man, how things do change...

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I would also like to cast my vote for that Howard the Duck episode.I do like the episodes where you discuss weird old movies, comics, or TV shows.

I've been a Howard fan since I was a She-Hulk fan...which has been pretty much my entire comic reading life.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I kinda hope it was just a joke, I've personally never really liked the character, but hey. At least Marvel know how to make fun films, so I'd probably give it a shot.

ECasThat

Nov 14, 2009
I still don't understand how Howard the Duck became a thing without being sued into oblivion by Disney.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
I think my feelings were expressed quite well by the guy at the theater who commented at the end "I waited through all those ****ing credits just to see Howard the Duck?!" Plus the suit or CG or whatever it was was disturbingly butt-ugly, though maybe that was intentional.

Yeah, it was a joke, I get it. Still kind of a "what the frick" moment for everyone who hadn't seen it already. Definitely a good trolling by the director. *slow clap*

As for an episode just about it... while intrigued, I'd rather not. Maybe later on down the line after things calm down a bit, if it absolutely must be made. Otherwise, no thank you, kindly :)

ECasThat said:
I still don't understand how Howard the Duck became a thing without being sued into oblivion by Disney.
That's... a good point O__o

He fairly closely resembles Donald. Maybe Disney wasn't paying attention or didn't think it was worth suing over?
Doesn't matter now - they own Marvel XD

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I do know a bit about Howard the Duck, but not so much about the movie being made. I would love to see a Big Picture episode about it.

Absimilliard

Only you can read this.
Nov 4, 2009
I hereby support a future episode dedicated to the Howard the Duck film.

Also, great episode. You're doing a good job condensing decades of history. I knew quite a bit of this, but the rest would have taken me a long time to find out about, provided I even knew there was something to look up.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Pat Hulse said:
antiproductiveman said:
It always makes me feel better when someone reads off a Wikipedia article to me
I...

Wait a minute. You've been a member since 2009? And you decided that THIS was the moment to finally post your first reply on the forums? After five years, you break your silence just to make a sarcastic put-down against a random video about Howard the Duck?

Damn. I'm actually kind of impressed.
And one that is not even correct! I would like to point out that Antiproductiveman is the name they go under.... So what we just saw was the magnum opus of that 5 years of slacking.

OT: I think that Howard deserves a full episode for that movie.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
I want a whole episode on the movie and I want it to be titled "Duck Boobs". Because we all know that's THE scene of the movie.

flip202f

Dec 17, 2010
There has also been some additional "rationales" for why Howard the duck.

I do believe MovieBob has the "most likely" reason.
But here are some additional reasons that seem to be creeping around the geek-verse. I'll post each one independently as I come across them:

Howard the duck is a shout out to both the possibility and the closing of several chapters of legal fights between Disney and both Marvel and Lucasfilm. Sparing over property rights and what is fair use is nothing new in Hollywood. Oddly, all three companies got in a scrap over Howard the Duck. When Howard first appeared in the 70's, he was a part of the edgier use of anthropomorphic characters in using adult themes. This clashed with Disney more "sanitized" use in the 1970. A legal fight broke out over how Howard kinda remotely looked like Donald. This was mostly a nuisance lawsuit and Marvel quickly won this. However, as MovieBob pointed out, Howard brought under more legal challenges with creator when Lucas wanted to buy rights to make full movie version. Disney jumped in again, but since the mouse had made no friends on either side of the case, they were again dismissed.
This trailer now is kinda a fun shout out "We own them all now, Bithes!" Not so much in a mean spirited way, but a certain acknowledgement of the weird story how Disney, Marvel, and Lucasfilm are, after some very bizarre set of cultural and business circumstances, now way all under the same tent.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
I saved watching this episode until after I went to see Guardians and boy am I glad I did, that was one shock I never saw coming me and my friends were the only two left in the theater and she basically had to push me out of my seat since I was in such disbelief in what I was seeing.

Also please do the episode on the Howard the Duck movie, I know how horrible the film is but I'm interested to see how it became so horrible.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I vaguely remember watching the Howard the Duck movie as a kid... but I don't remember much about it. That's probably for the better. I do remember watching the reviews on it by the Nostalgia Critic and SF Debris, which is probably the best way to see the movie until they make a Rifftrax of it.

That being said, I'm perfectly fine with Howard just being a side-character. Another full movie with him probably wouldn't work. Wonder what other comedy characters might come up...? (Kristin Schaal as Squirrel Girl? Yes please!)

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
+1 the Howard The Duck episode.

Your analysis/insight into schlocky/too weird movies is always welcome, especially for Howard, considering it would barely pass for a B movie >.>
I second this opinion.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Oh if only you could have seen the reaction in my theater Bob...

The kids had no idea, but a surprising number of the parents (and other adults) did. The only word I kept saying at the reveal was "NOPE. Not doing it. I'm not watching another freaking Howard the Duck flick!" in my usual half-joking snarky manner.

It was a great punchline if left at that, but the alternative possibility awakens a nameless terror in my heart.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I actually just saw this movie because I read on the escapist that Howard the Duck was in it. I also watched the original Howard the Duck movie, and I have to say, as bad movies go it was a very interesting one. Great special effects combined with a totally scatterbrained script. It was structured just like a little kids' movie, only filled with inappropriate "adult" humor (probably should put quotes around "humor" as well).

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
When I saw the golden scene from the end, I actually shouted "What!?" several times and cracked up laughing.

It was basically the best ending I've ever seen to a movie, as far as I'm concerned, but getting away with that... License to print gold, as far as I'm concerned.

OT: I would very much love to be tutored about Howard The Duck, considering that with the exception of the movie (and George Lucas' direction on the movie), I really know nothing else about it.

I'm on board, I'd be happy to check it out.

Jackle_666

Feb 23, 2010
I definitely want the Howard the Duck episode. Oh, and I don't think it matters if people don't care about it. Bob is good at making things interesting.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I'll buy that for a dollar. Seriously, just for Howard, I'll go see Guardians of the Galaxy if it costs a dollar. If it costs more than that, forget it. Not worth it. Another stream of superhero cheez-whiz.