The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
actually canada do have a super heroes squad, and it is in the marvel universe. they could make a movie out of it i guess...

it's alpha flight if you dont know what i'm talking about

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
Simple enough when the movie is released overseas just call it The First Avenger. Problem solved.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Not that familiar with Captain America, probably he haven't gotten a lot of attention here because of the normal assumptions mentioned in the video. Still, I like the idea of having one super hero per country, though I can't imagine anyone making a "Captain Norway" comic that would really work.

Solving wars with one on one fights? Well, it is not exactly a new idea, but it would be really nice if it became a norm. However, if you take some recent American wars as an example, I can hardly see how Saddam would agree to step down or Bush would agree to just leave it alone if their representative lost the fight.

Also, if a genetic freak who became vastly superior to everyone else was born, wouldn't his country practically rule the world?

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I can't imagine this working for my country (Sweden) for a bunch of reasons
For one, the Swedish flag looks ridiculous enough on a pole, on a superhero suit it would be horrid.
Also, we Swedes aren't much for bragging or patriotism, so it's not really in our nature.
3rd, we recently had a nationalistic party voted in to parliament, and are very touchy about anyone proclaiming to fight "for the Swedish way of life" or anything like that, so anyone trying to make "Capitan Sweden" would probably be viewed as a semi-Nazi right now.

However, a hero embracing the Swedish way of life would probably be called "Lagom-mannen" (The man who is not to much, nor to little) and would in a non-confrontational way, explain why crime does not pay, then carefully rehabilitate criminals in to society

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Like the idea of the one-on-one duel to settle differences between countries. Very Homer's Iliad.

That said, I don't know but I think this week's was a bit of a meh episode, for a series that I really think has yet to get going I just want my interest to be piqued a little more.

Keep it going though Bob, there's good potential here.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
MovieBob said:
The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?
MovieBob said:
This week, MovieBob rants about Captain America.

Watch Video
Just tossing this out there:

Hollywood's not going to make an Alpha Flight or Captain Canuck movie, and the National Film Board of Canada sure as hell can't afford to fund one.

So head on over to hollywood and start trying to convince the studios that americans care enough to watch these movies about characters you couldn't even name, Bob. :\

-m

Jun 26, 2009
Please, keep them! PLEASE! In fact, have Gordon Ramsay too!
We don't want them!
OT: I also want a Union Jack movie, it'd be awesome. Have him played by Jason Statham! That would be awesome!

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
Ohhh no no no, you can keep becks...
And Jamie Oliver... that man ruined my school canteen single handedly.

Please, keep them... or re-open some of those rendition camps and keep them there...

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
Varya said:
For one, the Swedish flag looks ridiculous enough on a pole, on a superhero suit it would be horrid.
Also, we Swedes aren't much for bragging or patriotism, so it's not really in our nature.
3rd, we recently had a nationalistic party voted in to parliament, and are very touchy about anyone proclaiming to fight "for the Swedish way of life" or anything like that, so anyone trying to make "Capitan Sweden" would probably be viewed as a semi-Nazi right now.

However, a hero embracing the Swedish way of life would probably be called "Lagom-mannen" (The man who is not to much, nor to little) and would in a non-confrontational way, explain why crime does not pay, then carefully rehabilitate criminals in to society
You know, being from Sweden too, the only real swedish superhero I could think of was:

Yes, Bamse. For you who don't know( and I'm guessing that's a lot of you):
Bamse is a swedish cartoon bear created for TV who gets super-human(super-bear?) strength by drinking honey, using his powers to help others. And he has a comic, too!

Seriously, who needs another swedish superhero? We got Bamse. ;]

MNRA

Jun 8, 2009
Sidetracked episode is sidetracked.

On a more serious note. I WISH we Swedes had a national hero. I mean techincally Thor is, but come on, that suit is just so horribly ugly it makes my eyes bleed. And what's with the winged helmet?

Orthon said:
*snip*

And Bamse doesn't count I'm afraid. My Belgian friend once told me "The only thing I know about Sweden is you have a cartoon hero called Bamse the communist bear". So taht sort of goes to show what the world thinks of him.

Anyway. I still like to hear Bob muse about whatever so I appreciated the episode. Not as good as most game overthinker eps he's done. But still, solid and entertaining. At least I learned a bit about captain america. And history is always fun...

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
What happens when a country with a lot of money starts genetically enhancing its champions for this method of settling arguments lets say for example, America. Also, once America has been thrashed by Trinidad and Tobago won't they just decide to invade anyway?

Also, we don't want Beckham back but thanks for offering.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Varya said:
Only U.S. citizens really are. I can't think of any non-english speaking superhero anyway.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Orthon said:
Varya said:

You know, being from Sweden too, the only real swedish superhero I could think of was:

Yes, Bamse. For you who don't know( and I'm guessing that's a lot of you):
Bamse is a swedish cartoon bear created for TV who gets super-human(super-bear?) strength by drinking honey, using his powers to help others. And he has a comic, too!

Haha, I didn't think of that, but yes, I think you are right, he even sports our colors:D

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
The Imp said:
Varya said:
Only U.S. citizens really are. I can't think of any non-english speaking superhero anyway.
Maybe so, but in Sweden, it's almost "our thing" not thinking highly of our selves. Probably true for a lot of people around the globe but one of the things we Swedes say is that "it's not Swedish to like Sweden".

Zolem

Jul 28, 2008
Hmmm, I notice you forget to mention when Captain America rebelled against the American Government and started a civil war because he felt that the government was becoming a totalitarian state that was infringing on the freedoms of the people.

He stands for America, not it's government.

Varya said:

Sweden's flag looks fine. I see it on shirts all the time in one comic I read. I can understand your fear of a 'Nazi' hero, and heck it would be interesting to see a hero that talks first and tries to work with criminals to realise the errors of their ways instead of just punching them in the face and saying 'Done.' Heck, it would be interesting to see him follow up on the guys he couldn't talk to on the street while they're in jail. A hero that idealizes and strives for a day when he won't be needed and actively takes steps to try and reach there. Make him an average-joe with no powers or gadgets, just his ideals and some skill, and you'd have an interesting 'real world hero' setting right there. So let's see "Lagom-mannen", I'm actually interested in reading his adventures even though we just made him up.

Rocketboy13

Oct 21, 2008
Well that was quite a bit of Rambling nonsense. Not saying I'm not entertained, it just seemed to go nowhere.
Thank you Bob. That was short... but pointless.