The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
Zer0Kill said:
I agree. It didn't really get to the same depth as the halo analysis, which I think it really could have.
"Depth", you mean to say the worst first impression, where he called someone a nazi because their eyes were blue. Please...

OT: David beckham and Jamie Oliver, You have them. I dislike those fellows.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Well there was a great Cameo of the Ultimate Captains of other nations in the Ultimates - which would be a good way to integrate the many other captains.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Varya said:
For one, the Swedish flag looks ridiculous enough on a pole, on a superhero suit it would be horrid.
<----- That does not look ridiculous. Shame on you!

I agree that it's a difficult flag to make into a superhero-costume. Like others mentioned, Thor is the closest thing we got to a superhero in Scandinavia.

LtWiesel

Jul 26, 2010
A movie about a patriotic german superhero....yeah i bet this will work fine ^^

Never heard of that Union Jack dude but he looks kind of epic, like a tf2 spy dressing as a flag :) better than James Bond

anamizuki

Oct 14, 2010
I know I am preaching for the choir, but whatever.

Simply to put, atleast in my country (finland) all superhroes come from america. Unless they are jokes. Oh, plenty of people love them, but we really don't have our own superhero culture.

If you look at it that strictly that is, we have heroes, they just don't wear spandex. Asterix is a hero, he is clever and strong and saves the day. Tintin is a hero too. Minus Tintin, most of these tend to be tongue-in-cheek though.

Nationalism here just doesn't mean the same, we look at America and shake our heads at the display of flags and fireworks. To us, the american way is as confusing as our way is to americans.

Sorry, rambly ^^''

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
We already have V from "V for Vendetta" as the perfect British Superhero, why would we need anyone more than that?

Also, no givesy backsies. Beckham is yours now, maybe you could trick Australia into taking him?

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Even with the blatant Street Fighter references at the end, something about Bob's idea reminds me of the plot to G-Gundam, and giant robot fighting tournaments instead of war should be the answer to all of the world's problems, damn it!

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
Bob, I've had respect for your movie reviews, but when you follow an interesting thesis with hopelessly tangental rants and an overfocus on nerd culture, you destroy your credibility as a columnist, especially when your argument lacks any coherent conclusion. Don't waste our time.

This is not the big picture. It's a shattered one.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
dude... you lost me at "figthing games" and "Street Fighter" immages...

thats... kind of cool but out of the point in the end

and i want to ask some small trivia to all those non-american people on the escapist, "Who is the supper hero not only representing your country, but also created BY your country"???

I am proud to pressent to you "El Santo" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santo if you already knew him thats cool, if not check it out!!!

he is the only serious super hero i can think of here in México,not like "el chapulin colorado" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Chapul%C3%ADn_Colorado who is a mockery of super heroes everywhere, but he is also worth mentioning because he created a character and had its own comic book.

yellowhead

Nov 18, 2009
It's funny because you ask if other countries have their own patriotic super heroes, but in a sense most of them already have them. They're just not in "superhero form".

The UK has Doctor Who, Belgium has the Smurfs (off the top of my head) etc.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
First off, it took us ages to get rid of that simple minded, simpering man-child Galaxy so kindly bought off of us, so no, we're not taking him back. [sub]Seriously, please keep him.[/sub]

And secondly, I'd say that Britain does have 'superheroes', except they don't wear Spandex and have radioactive powers. Bob, I'll see you an Ironman and a Captain America and raise you a James Bond and a Sherlock Holmes!
I'd say those are acceptable. You could certainly include Robin Hood in your list. Each of them demonstrates some skill or ability that places them at the upper edge (at least) of what a person could reasonably do.

Robin Hood:
Master Archer (Able to split an arrow - a feat that can be done by some of the best trick archers, also able to translate that skill set to battle)
Master Hunter (He can track anyone through any terrain it would seem)
Master Swordsman (He wins more than one sword battle while wearing no armor implying a startling level of proficiency)
Master Tactician (He leads a guerrilla army successfully for a long period of time)

James Bond:
Expert Marksman (James Bond will never miss a shot unless doing so would make the scene more dramatic)
Master Manipulator (He can smooth talk his way into any situation in spite of the fact he quite obviously does not belong)
Level 80 MacGuyver (James Bond often resolves problems by quickly leveraging some gizmo in a fashion that was likely never intended when Q designed it)
Luck of Heroes (James Bond is often saved simply because his enemies suddenly become inept in his presence)

Sherlock Holmes
Master of _ductive Reasoning (He can always figure out the connection between two things no matter how obscure)
Master Knolwedge of History, Literature, etc (Used in the above)
Utterly Brilliant at most endeavors except direct social interaction.

They are all "realistic" in that they never do something explicitly impossible for a person, but each of them is so shockingly proficient at a number of things that it seems reasonable to consider them as super heroes.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
yellowhead said:
It's funny because you ask if other countries have their own patriotic super heroes, but in a sense most of them already have them. They're just not in "superhero form".

The UK has Doctor Who, Belgium has the Smurfs (off the top of my head) etc.
my point exactly, "Santo" is a wrestler of the golden age of cinema in México.

Saxnot

Mar 1, 2010
therumancer is very silly and has a hard time understanding other nations.
dude, death vans... really? you believe that? it has 'officials' outright stating that it's true. how gullable are you?

moviebob is forgetting that the heroes he thinks of, the superheroes like union jack, are all a product of the american comics industry. union jack is something made by marvel, an american company.

it's true there's british and other comics publishers that follow the same mould, but the concept of a tights-and-spandex superhero is imported from america.

the european comics industry is very different, much less centered around one genre and much more eclectic. european comics are divided by different age categories and levels of matureness, and they run the gamut from historic, fantasy, scifi, gritty realism, western, detective stories and many more, and besides often take place in a different time period or culture. the kind of national icon you're talking about just doesn't really exist in european comics.

i can't say much about how it is in different cultures, as i dont know much about their comics culture, but judging from what i know of manga, they don't have the kind of national hero you're talking about either.

it's sort of naive of you to think that every nation or culture has the same kind of national representation-character that you have. while every culture certainly has heroes or icons, they just dont fall neatly into the blueprint of an 'american' superhero. it is a kind of cultural image that has arisen from american culture, and it speaks most strongly to americans.

in short, it's just not as easy as transplanting the biggest cultural phenomenon from comics and using that as a national icon. if it worked that way, my country would have ollie b. bommel or something as an icon (search it on google)

also you americans don't watch football cause you suck at it. pansies.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Trucken said:
Varya said:
For one, the Swedish flag looks ridiculous enough on a pole, on a superhero suit it would be horrid.
<----- That does not look ridiculous. Shame on you!

I agree that it's a difficult flag to make into a superhero-costume. Like others mentioned, Thor is the closest thing we got to a superhero in Scandinavia.
I disagree. That basic color scheme works well together and the pattern (a cross) could simply be rotated 90 degrees. In this way, it would be not at all unlike the basic pattern you'd see in a female super hero costume.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Dear Thailand:
We will give you Guile, Cammy and Balrog if you give us M. Bison and Sagat.
Thank you, from America.

OT: True, I've never really liked Captain AMerica, but it's good to see a superhero who supports our country even in our harder times.

(Unless M. Bison is American and just resides in Thailand for the end of the game...)

Ragmonn

Nov 16, 2010
Well i got a bit offended by this vid, even tho i watched all of the MovieeBob vids and i liked em, on such a level that i made an account to post a comment.
-The funny thing is that its Captain "America" and not Captain U.S.A.. So this guy represents all of North and South America? (I really don't want to flame but this had to be said).
So this guy was written the wrong way from the start.
-I this vid was a bit too sloppy imo..
-A tournament, with countries sending there best man/woman. Isn't that called the Olympics (its a "bit" more civilized then beating the sh1t out of each other?

Peace out.