The Big Picture: Who's Afraid of Captain America?

Vendetta61

Nov 8, 2010
Geez Bob at the end there I think you accidentally described the premise of G Gundam, except every nation has its own giant robot to settle disputes with.

Ahhh G Gundam, the only show with a Mexican giant robot that had a sombrero with cannons in it and a laser pitchfork... good times...

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
national comic "hero"?
Seriously i doubt that so many countries will have such thing as a national superhero

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
This new show seems to be kind of stream-of-consciousness. I kind of dig it, but it's also a little scary getting a little deeper into the mind of MovieBob.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
Hmm who does Scotland have that we could brag about in a super hero kind of way...
Um Braveheart ringing any bells there bob?

Oh by the way congratulations on getting a job where all you have to do is say whatever comes of the top of your head.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Ericb said:
walsfeo said:
Other countries have gods and rich mythologies. America doesn't so we have super heroes.
I've heard that somewhere before. It is a very interesting point.
I feel that the most relevant factor is the founding of a country after a certain technological and sociological benchmark. In other words the dominant American culture evolved from a hybrid of other cultures after we stopped thing every spring had a river spirit or every thunderstorm was the wrath of gods.

Strangely it was the late evolution of our culture that also caused some of our internal cultural, philosophic, and religious schisms. In other words both our atheists and our church going folk tend to be pushier and irritating than in many other countries.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
You do realize, Bob, that Spain won the world cup this year, yes?

...Just because I have nothing else to brag about, see...

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
LockandKey said:
A Curious Fellow said:
First one was retarded (Nazi sentiments in Halo? Really? Shitting me? Man, grasping at any straw available to support your ignorant hate, huh?)
Bro, he never once said that Halo was promoting Nazism. He merely said that is was a funny coincidence that if you looked at from a skewed perspective it does seem like that it's saying the uniformly made people are killing a diversely ethnic group. Which he admits that he knows it's not the games intention.

You're right. After all, the show is called The Big Picture for a reason.

Also bro how is his hate ignorant? He could hate it for any reason and that would still be valid.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
dathwampeer said:
I hated cap Britain as a character. And I'm English.

I've always hated cap A too.

No matter how you twist it. you include someone's nationality as a superhero name. And nationalism is going to be involved on some level.

I'm gonna give the movie a skip tbh. Because how often do films do the comics justice? Not very often.

And I'm gonna bet my left nut that the Cap A film is just going to end up being some piss poor excuse for ... only not ironically.
It's set during WW2, practically the only time ever in history we get to say AMERICA, FUCK YEAH! without irony.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
The movie Captain America should be stricken from the record. Randy Couture is the only Captain America in my book. (and that video came SOOOO close to refrencing MMA).

TsunamiWombat said:
It's set during WW2, practically the only time ever in history we get to say AMERICA, FUCK YEAH! without sarcasm.
fixed for you

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
This episode seemed longer than it really was.

HAHAHA! Get it? Because...It was dull..............and....and.......
It just wasn't awesome. But on the bright side, it's not terrible either.

It had it's bits of funny and such, but overall, The Big Picture just isn't Awesome...so far, anyways.

And I don't think every Nation has a superhero they look up to, Where else are you going to find a guy flying around in futuristic mecha-suit made of NOTIRON fighting his foes with science and unibeams?

Not Canada.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Canada used to have a super-hero but america bought it from us.

He was called superman.

We should make Carmine our hero. Seriously in a combat situation he still thinks the golden rule is "treat others as you would treat yourself"
which is being polite. Which is one of the stereotypical things we are known for. He also has the most personality (sorry other countries).

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Superheroes are a distinctly American thing. Every country has its own comic books but only America deals in superheroes. Lots of (American) people tend to completely fail to consider this. There is no cultural equivalent for Captain America anywhere.

The only question worth asking is what created the need for things like Superman or Captain America. But that question has been beaten to death already.

The only thing
Ekonk said:
I don't think us Dutchies have any superheroes.
We do have a superhero in fact. The Doctor (yes that's his alias) from the original line-up of The Authority was a Dutchman (Jeroen van der something-or-other).And he got killed at some point after I stopped reading the series he was in. He was invented by Warren Ellis when he turned the Wildstorm universe into solid gold for a while with his run on Stormwatch and the Authority.

The Doctor was the most powerful one on the team as he could literally turn people into roses (he did that with a couple thousand mass-produced super-soldiers) as long as he could keep his head straight. This was a problem for him though as he was a drug-addict. Obviously all the Dutch are drug addled loonies, this is widely known... Sober the guy up and put him in a ring with anyone and he would very probably win. Plus he's the representative of the gathered experience of all the past Shamans who've been tasked with protecting the Earth over the ages (the entire planet, not just one country). So yeah, the one guy we do have is pretty good but dead.

If you want to look at stuff made by us specifically our hero would probably be Gilles de Geus (Bryant the Brigand abroad).

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
dt61 said:
Like you touched upon, people usually think of Americans as fat assholes and see Captain America as some sort of bragging. But isn't James Bond sort of like English bragging? Not sure if I understand my point, but whatever.

Also I'm afraid I'm not going to believe Chris Evans as Captain America. Sometimes I forget his name all together and call him Johnny Storm or Human Torch.
Yeah, I guess that throws out the idea of Captain America meeting the Fantastic Four. Actually, they'll probably end up doing some reboot movie with an entirely new cast *sigh*

As for James Bond, I guess he is kind of like a British superhero. I mean he doesn't technically have any powers but he has his gadgets (similar to Batman) and he also has a nice way of avoiding any form of damage to himself. I guess he does have a somewhat supernatural way of luring women that could be considered a superpower.

hitheremynameisbob

Jun 25, 2008
El Gostro said:
Bob's incapacity at comprehending a mindset and conception of the world outside Planet America (not the continent,the planet) is made painfully obvious in this video.
How, exactly? He makes a great point about Captain America, who really isn't as blindly patriotic and exclusively relevant to Americans as most people assume he is, especially in comparison to some other heroes. What Bob should have said, rather than implied, (just to make the point perfectly clear) is that if they could turn Iron Man into a movie hero that pretty much everyone could enjoy, then doing the same with Captain America should be little problem, as long as they can get people to look past the name. The fact of the matter is that most people hear his name and make their assumptions then and there with no real knowledge of his character - most people in this movie's target demo have never been exposed to this hero beyond being "made aware" of him, and given the highly suggestive name (which could even be ironic, for all they know) they just assume that he's mostly just a patriotic "America, fuck yeah!" figure, when he certainly could be (indeed, already has been) so much more. The really unfortunate thing here is that Captain America is probably going to fall victim of the prejudices of foreign audiences. It'll probably take at least a little bit of a hit in the box office purely because some people won't give it a chance based only on its name.

As for the whole fighting idea, I love that. Sadly, until we're in a situation where every state is on roughly the same level economically and militarily, that probably just won't happen. Even if it's not settling what would have otherwise been a war - even if it's being used to just get some catharsis after a minor diplomatic dispute, the states that have the ability to just push around smaller ones right now would never willingly put themselves in a position where they're at serious risk of being humiliated in an official diplomatic capacity by a "lesser" state. The World Cup, where there's nothing really at stake besides pride, is as close as we're going to get to that for some time, and even that's not all that great an example - only a small list of countries can actually field a team that has a legitimate chance of winning, regardless of who all participates, so it's not an even field, pardon the pun. Though I suppose just winning a match may be therapy enough, at times, regardless of where you end up finishing, but even then, good luck if anyone ever has a beef they want to settle with one of the countries that do put out the star teams. Just look at a list of past World Cup Finalists to see who the new most powerful countries in the world would be, lol. Fighting would probably be a more fair match up for everyone, because even if you don't have the money to maintain a top-ranked football team, I'd wager that even the smallest countries could hold try-outs and then train up ONE fighter, replacing him as needed. Again, though, there's no way the US, China, Russia, most of Western Europe, Japan, ect... would ever consent to participating in a for-stakes contest where they may be beat by less powerful countries... sadly.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
walsfeo said:
Other countries have gods and rich mythologies. America doesn't so we have super heroes. Also, Mexico has Lucha Libre.
America has that too, but people tend to overlook it because it's all Native American mythology and gods and not European stuff.

El Gostro

Aug 25, 2009
hitheremynameisbob said:
Because I wasn't criticizing Captain America being a propaganda icon(though he was certainly cast as initially),nor do I ignore the fact that he has often been portrayed as a force of political moderation which is admirable and fresh in the marvel universe.

I was referring to Bob's apparent ignorance of cultural paradigms and idiosincracies foreign to that of his own cultural set.

The super hero,at least the classical tights and cape version that comes to the mind of most people when the term in mentioned is an idea and concept rather unique to the particular traits of what constites today the american "cultural paradigm",hence the reason why it always feels rather awkward when practiced and adapted in comic books from other cultural paradigms.

To cite examples: Superdupont is hilarious,but works only as a parody,imagine it trying to be serious. Same thing with "El Cazador" which itself was also a mish mash of Simon Bisley's Lobo tribute and a very argentinian humorous view on foreign comics and local&global politics (and yes,american comics are quite popular in our local nerd pool as well as other types),Cybersix wasnt so much a superhero comic as a rather noire sci-fy (somewhat cyberpunk as well) story.

I think Alan Moore had a very interesting rant somewhere in a watchmen interview about how the superhero is a very american concept.

hitheremynameisbob

Jun 25, 2008
FlameUnquenchable said:
walsfeo said:
Other countries have gods and rich mythologies. America doesn't so we have super heroes. Also, Mexico has Lucha Libre.
America has that too, but people tend to overlook it because it's all Native American mythology and gods and not European stuff.
The point, I think, was that most countries have some widely known and embraced mythology that they can look to and say "that is uniquely ours." In the US we ("we" as in the majority of the country) do not embrace or even really learn the beliefs of the Native Americans beyond some vague stereotypes. We see our country primarily as a land of immigrants, as a melting pot of various other pre-established cultures, not as a land once inhabited by these people. Most Americans don't consider the history and mythology of the Native Americans to be "their" history. This is partly why so many of us try and associate ourselves with other countries, looking to where our own particular ancestors came from and identifying ourselves with that rather than looking to the history of the country we were born in. Not that there's anything really wrong with this - we're all entitled to define ourselves however we want. It does mean, though, that even though there is a rich mythology in the history of this land, we do not associate with it the same way that many other cultures are able to with their historical religions. Because of that, it is still pretty accurate to say that most Americans don't have a unique mythology they can identify with alongside their country of birth.

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
hitheremynameisbob said:
FlameUnquenchable said:
walsfeo said:
The point, I think, was that most countries have some widely known and embraced mythology that they can look to and say "that is uniquely ours." In the US we ("we" as in the majority of the country) do not embrace or even really learn the beliefs of the Native Americans beyond some vague stereotypes. We see our country primarily as a land of immigrants, as a melting pot of various other pre-established cultures, not as a land once inhabited by these people. Most Americans don't consider the history and mythology of the Native Americans to be "their" history. This is partly why so many of us try and associate ourselves with other countries, looking to where our own particular ancestors came from and identifying ourselves with that rather than looking to the history of the country we were born in. Not that there's anything really wrong with this - we're all entitled to define ourselves however we want. It does mean, though, that even though there is a rich mythology in the history of this land, we do not associate with it the same way that many other cultures are able to with their historical religions. Because of that, it is still pretty accurate to say that most Americans don't have a unique mythology they can identify with alongside their country of birth.
I think we said the same things, you were just explained it out where I didn't. What you said in bold was what I was getting at. Mainly because the European, Asian, or African portions of the population don't readily care about this land's mythology because they associate with where they came from more.

Only those of us, and even then only some, who have Native American ancestry care about the mythos of the people who inhabited this land. I think in South America they may do a bit better at it, because of the prominence of the Mayan, Incan, and Aztec societies.