The Big Picture: Words for Nerds

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Words for Nerds

Bob would like to speak to some of you about your behavior.

Watch Video

kwagamon

Jun 24, 2010
About the posting a whole book thing:

When I do it, I tend to start off trying to say something simple and concise, then wind up writing something way longer than I expected to say that simple thing then can't decide what parts to trim out so I just say "screw it" and post the whole thing. I can't speak for others, but I know I'm not actively trying to post a library every time I open my mouth, it just sort of happens.

WoahDan

Sep 7, 2011
dont really agree with the batman one, Chuck Norris and Boba Fett were even more one-note than batman and neither had anything going for them other than badassitude. Batman does have more going for him, hes in the best cartooon,comic book film and comic book game ever precisely because of that, whilst saying he can beat anything is anoying doing so wont kill his character in the same way it did for Chuck and Boba.

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
I am confused as to the point you are trying to make. Are you suggesting that "Nerds" are the main/only people playing games? Are they the only ones that could possible be making bigoted and juvenile remarks to others? Wouldn't it be more likely that the remarks are from some teenager that shouldn't even be playing the game due to the rating? Possibly someone that hasn't had an opportunity to mature, and realize how immature they really are?

JackJL

Jun 18, 2011
Thanks Bob, this really strikes a chord. The cliquish nature of humanity doesn't go away when we're on the internet or all like games. All nerds have done is made their own clubhouse.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
I think you're under a complete misunderstanding of geek culture here Bob. Just because you were bullied in high school doesn't mean that all nerds have been subjected to the same kind of punishment. It may be a reason for some, but it's definitely not the root cause. The real reason is probably the fact that some people are just dicks, and given the anonymity of peoples actions on the internet and the resultant ability to avoid consequences, people are going to abuse this.

Yes it's a problem, and I agree with you on that, I just don't agree with your reasoning. I wouldn't say that nerds as a group are particularly good people. They have good people and bad people, just like any other group. Totally agree with your other points though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm almost surprised he didn't mention furries at the end there considering they seem to one of those groups that everyone likes to dump crap on.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
This video makes me think Bob searches around these forums alot. Hes basicly solved all our problems for us.

I've heard Bob off-handedly mention ponies like four times now. He needs to go ahead and make an episode about it.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Everything here is in good fun. Even if it can appear mean spirited to certain groups of people.
No. No it's not.

"In good fun" is the bully excuse. This is exactly what Bob is talking about.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I think forums are part of why online culture is the way it is. They provide a protective shell of anonymity. They reward extreme and inflammatory behavior, either explicitly through badges, or implicitly because that's what gets your replies and thread views. I think to some extent it brings out the worst.

Edit: Yes, I know I am posting this in a forum and appreciate the irony.