The Big Picture: Worlds Within Worlds

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
person427 said:
So I just checked out this chart, and it has a link to Batman. This means this whole mess of TV continuity also connects to the messed up DC continuity. But wait! There was a whole big Marvel vs DC series that connects those two continuities. Now between Marvel vs Capcom and Mortal Kombat vs DC universe, we have links to video games as well.

So, in addition to all those TV series, that kid also came up with all Marvel and DC characters, as well as a bunch of video games? That is one imaginative kid.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist.I don't exist....

>.<

Edit:

Actually I enjoyed this episode. Tangential learning at work.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
There is one major problem with the Westphall universe that nobody seems to want to address: Real people show up in our dreams all the time.

Tommy could easily have been "inspired" by an actual (in-universe) hospital, and merely imagined his dad among the staff.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
person427 said:
So I just checked out this chart, and it has a link to Batman. This means this whole mess of TV continuity also connects to the messed up DC continuity. But wait! There was a whole big Marvel vs DC series that connects those two continuities. Now between Marvel vs Capcom and Mortal Kombat vs DC universe, we have links to video games as well.

In other news, there's a direct link between Doctor Who and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I am very interested in hearing about this one.
Ah, but what about all the different timelines of the DC continuity that have no direct interaction with each other (the BatNolan trilogy, for instance?).

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Shame on you, sir, for not bringing up Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th dimension when you mentioned Yoyodyne.

It is clearly the most important thing on this list.

person427

May 28, 2009
Bullfrogg said:
person427 said:

So, in addition to all those TV series, that kid also came up with all Marvel and DC characters, as well as a bunch of video games? That is one imaginative kid.
Let's see what video games we get from here. Well obviously Marvel vs Capcom, which links to pretty much every Capcom series, and therefore all the vs Capcoms. There was recently the one with Pacman playable (I believe Street Fighter vs Tekken, mark Tekken as another series). Pacman was a playable character in the arcade version of Mario Kart, so now the entirety of Mario continuity is connected. There were some Final Fantasy characters playable in Mario Hoops 3 on 3, and there was the Fortune Street game with Dragon Quest characters, both bringing us into Square Enix territory, but there's also Smash Bros, which links all of Nintendo to this, as well as Sonic who's been in a lot of games featuring a bunch of Sega characters and Snake, who was in that fighting game with Bomberman and Optimus Prime in it, so I guess we have the Transformers now too. Link was also a playable character in Soul Caliber II, which means those games get put into the mix. From there we can connect to Assassin's Creed, God of War (which connects to whatever series end up in PSASBR), and even Star Wars. The Star Tours attraction in Disneyland has a cameo from Mickey Mouse, who connects to a bunch of other Disney series through House of Mouse. He also had an appearance in Who Framed Roger Rabbit with a bunch of other cartoon characters, including Droopy who ties this all into Hanna Barbera continuity, and the Looney Toons who connect this whole mess to...the NBA?!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
does that mean that this video is not real and neither are we or Moviebob? Mind=blown

sonofliber

Mar 8, 2010
wait, but he is talking about the actors, for it to makes sense it should be the characters the actors portrait, not the actors themselfs

since robins is robin in what ever crossover he appears

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
There is only one logical conclusion, Westfall is God.

so..... are we starting the church of westfall? making sure we regularly pray so we don't get ..*gulp*. taken off the air

soitgoes19

Jul 8, 2012
I'm surprised Lost wasn't listed somewhere. I feel like I see it being referenced all the time in other media.

Anyways, while I find the Westphall theory interesting, I'm not sure I see how it's relevant to the original point (that comics need to relax their continuity). Forgive me for pointing out the obvious in what is just a thought experiment, but the majority of the examples listed are just references. This video would be better if it talked about how comics are too strict with their continuity, instead of listing media that falls under the Westphall theory. Or maybe if it went into the specifics of Mcduffie's argument. I mean, Even other comics. [http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c14/idcypher/Cat.jpg] If anything, the problem isn't that comics refuse to relax their continuity, it's that fans won't let it go when they do. How would comics be better if their continuity were not as strict? What does the genre have to gain from it? Maybe I'm just nitpicking (comic reader here, maybe I just can't help myself), but as it stands this video is just a list of easter eggs.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
ANImaniac89 said:
Holy shit
the funny thing is I once made a similar chart connecting Video games, Movie, TV, Literature, Comics and several other universe.
It got so massive that it took over ten sheets of printer paper to map it out.

Everything is connected and everything is cannon
Could I see that chart for the video games? And I know you would have had to included the connections of Naughty Dog and Insomniac games, right?

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011

I. I have no words. This is the most astounding thing I have ever seen. The moment I saw Sgt. Munch I just went "Oh fuck, this is going to be huge." And huge it was. Thank you, Bob. I will see you next week, when I have put my mind back together.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Don't know if it's part of that map, but some Simpson's characters have appeared in Family Guy and with all its references and cut-outs you might as well stop and just say everything.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
As I understood it, Knight Rider is actually a spinoff of the original Battlestar Galactica. Some Cylon tech got sent back in time, and that's why the car has that scanning red light. I never really watched those shows, but that's what I heard. Anyway, does that mean that BSG is also part of this kid's imagination?