The Big Picture: Worst Movies of 2012

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I live somewhere that doesn't do plays or theater, and when I heard Les Miserables was getting a theatrical release big enough even for my two-multiplex town, I was hyped. I would like to get into theater, and I figured a movie like this would make for, if not a stepping stone (you need somewhere else to step to in order for it to be a stepping stone), then at least an okay compromise.

But I do not know or know of a single person who will say both "I like it" and "I saw it." A lot of people will say one or the other, but not both. I'm disappointed to see it on this list, but not surprised. Tsk.

Oh, well. Thanks for another good video, Mr. Chipman.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
CrazyGirl17 said:
Eh, I haven't seen most of these movies (except for some of The Watch, and I might like to see the Lorax to gauge it for myself)

Though my biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-man is that they had to cancel the awesome Spectacular Spider-man cartoon just to make it. Thanks a fucking lot Marvel/Disney/Sony. -_-

As for your #1 pick, I think the concept sounds interesting... but it could have been done better. Maybe as a mix of They Live and Supersize Me. Maybe.
Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled at the same time that a lot of shows were killed, including the Legion of Super-Heroes. The reason for this is CW was forming and UPN and WB needed to trim the fat as it were.

Also, you can't blame Marvel and Disney for this one either. Marvel was not owned by Disney at the time.

As for Sony, well they only have movie rights to work with. They had no control over what TV is made.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
malestrithe said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Eh, I haven't seen most of these movies (except for some of The Watch, and I might like to see the Lorax to gauge it for myself)

Though my biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-man is that they had to cancel the awesome Spectacular Spider-man cartoon just to make it. Thanks a fucking lot Marvel/Disney/Sony. -_-

As for your #1 pick, I think the concept sounds interesting... but it could have been done better. Maybe as a mix of They Live and Supersize Me. Maybe.
Spectacular Spider-Man was cancelled at the same time that a lot of shows were killed, including the Legion of Super-Heroes. The reason for this is CW was forming and UPN and WB needed to trim the fat as it were.

Also, you can't blame Marvel and Disney for this one either. Marvel was not owned by Disney at the time.

As for Sony, well they only have movie rights to work with. They had no control over what TV is made.
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification. So I should blame UPN and WB then?

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
With the exception of Les Mis(Planning to see it later this week) it's exactly what I expected you to say, and fairly close to what my list would be but I skipped a lot of those movies my only changes would be change Spider Man for Batman(all the thing you say about Spider Man are several times worse in The Dark Knight).

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I haven't seen any of these movies and now I probably won't watch them if I get some time, especially Les Miserables as musicals are not my thing.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Pretty good list. There were a couple things on there that I actually liked (I really expected to hate Amazing Spiderman but I thought the douchey wuss was way closer to Peter Parker than any other incarnation I've yet seen, and I'm an easy sell for R-rated comedies with boobs so American Reunion got a pass from me), but a couple of the ones you hated made me happy.

Firstly: I'm glad that somebody with some testes has the guts to say to an internet full of ladies that Les Miserables is terrible. I realize that there's a large population that's going to squee because it's a musical that they can drag luckless bastards to, but somebody needs to look at it objectively to see if the movie pulls it off at all well.

Secondly: It's telling that I went out of my way to see Branded before any reviews had come out and yet I forgot it ever happened maybe 6 months later. An awful, mean, dumb and stuck-up movie that absolutely deserves to be forgotten and/or hated. For 2012, there is no more appropriate atrocity to don the 'laurels' of worst movie.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Sylveria said:
Who the hell keeps giving M. Night work!?
bigger question that answers your question: How the ever loving fuck did last airbender gross 300 million bucks?

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
wait wait wait
the bad guy for ASM 2 is going to be electro? just electro?
WHAT IN THE HELL?! are they trying to make these movies suck? why the heck do they insist of using those b list villians? its not like spidy doesnt have good villians he does!
doc ock, green goblin,the sinister freaking six! how hard would it be to use them instead of freaking electro and the lizard?! (and yes i am fully aware that electro is a reacuring member of the sinister 6) this is just frustrating...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I expected Amazing Spiderman to be no. 1 but you surprised me there. It's still true that I loved the film more than Spiderman 1,3 and so did most of the people I saw it with but I guess these things happen. Also I didn't hate American Pie and I don't know if calling the crudloads of people who liked it deluded is interpreting said like in a smart way.

I enjoyed the jokes in this one though =D And got through a lot incredibly efficiently considering you needed a small Les Mis review in the middle. I liked the play for the songs but felt the plot was as much of a mess as you describe. I always feel sorry for the failed love interest because even the play seems to accidentally paint her as the true faithful person who would have made him happy, sadly ignored for his two week crush

Jacco

May 1, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Directed by Shabamalama? Shame I was almost looking forward to see Jaden Smith back on the big screen :(
Amazing SpiderMan 2: Hair Jell hiding-my-face-turns-me-into-a-Labeef-sounding McDouche-erson vs an anemic Steel.
Don't hold me to this, but most of M Night StupidIdiot's worst was stuff he wrote himself. As simply a director with someone else in the writers chair, it may not be that bad. We'll see.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Swap in Dark Knight Rises for Les Mis, and I'm fine with the list. All of Bob's criticism of the movie is the criticism of the work itself. If you go in liking the musical, you'll probably love the movie, though you might have a gripe with the fact that Russell Crowe's voice isn't deep enough for Javert, or that he only sang, and didn't really emote, but other wise it's a damn good piece. It's not like you'd go see a movie adaptation of a musical that still has the songs and weigh it on it's cinematic merits anyway, so his inclusion of it here seems like he's criticizing an orange for not being enough like an apple. Yeah, they're both fruits, but we're not exactly here for the same thing, are we?

Mr.PlanetEater

May 17, 2009
I agree with Les Miserables. I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it failed as a movie where it could have succeeded as a real Broadway show.

dthree

Hey!
Jun 13, 2008
Mr.PlanetEater said:
I agree with Les Miserables. I enjoyed it, but I definitely think it failed as a movie where it could have succeeded as a real Broadway show.
Could have?
http://www.lesmis.com/uk/history/facts-and-figures/

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Where was 21 Jump Street on that list, and how was Expendables 2 and Spider Man worse than it?

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Littaly said:
Les Miserables at third place feels a little like "Hey! Look at my loud and controversial opinion!". I haven't seen it, and I don't think I'm going to since it doesn't look like my kind of movie, but I have a hard time imagining one of the top Best Picture contenders really being an overall worse movie than the latest American Pie, regardless of how much you think people are over hyping it.
The only reason why it would be considered a controversial opinion is because the theatre nuts go on and on about how perfect the musical is, and anyone willing to criticise will be drowned by the same arguments the progressive and super smart amazing musical theatre people can come up with, including how its the greatest musical of all time based of the greatest french novel of all time, how you don't like it because its through composed, and then they'll even list they're favourite recordings of adaptations that were probably better then the film, which somehow makes their point redundant. Don't worry, I can easily qualify my statement with that I worked with music theatre kids, and I've seen all their arguments.

And I have no problem with it being higher then American Pie on the worst movie list of 2012.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I knew Spider-man would be on here, I'm just kind of glad he restrained himself and didn't make it number 1 like he probably wanted to. I'm sorry but looking at all the complaints he listed, I swear I saw a different movie than him.

Also The Spectacular Spider-man's interpretation of Electro was pretty dang cool, so I hope ASM 2 will follow in their footsteps.

Jegsimmons said:
Sylveria said:
Who the hell keeps giving M. Night work!?
bigger question that answers your question: How the ever loving fuck did last airbender gross 300 million bucks?
Because us naive Avatar fans didn't know any better until it was too late...