The Big Picture: Wrongs & Rights

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wrongs & Rights

MovieBob takes a close look at what it takes to get a character from the comics into the movies.

Watch Video

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I want to see Black Panther, Ant-Man and Wasp, and Doctor Strange. Maybe Luke Cage and Jessica Jones? They could use another black hero. No mutants, so no Quicksilver or Scarlet Witch. And probably not the Vision, either, without Scarlet Witch. Hmmm... Moondragon?

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Man and I thought the rights with anime licensing was confusing, it looks like will be getting more, cheaply made marvel movies from now on since the last thing hollywood wants is to have Disney having a pg-13 franchise that doesn't star Johnny Deep. On the otherhand having the avengers in Kingdom Hearts 3 would cause the internet to go nuts, unlike the kingdom hearts wiki's april fools joke about Akaranger(from Goranger) being a hidden boss in the japanese 3ds kingdom hearts game.

http://kingdomhearts.wikia.com/wiki/AkaRenger

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
I know Marvel is planning Black Panther, Antman, Luke Cage, Doctor Strange, Power Pack and Inhumans films. As for DC ignoring the whole Superman mess the major problem they have is a lot of there characters outside of Batman don't translate well to other media.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
From what I heard, The Punisher has gone back to Marvel. Movies didn't make that much money (second one was okay though) and there are no plans for another one by other studios.

Not sure how or if they'll use him considering the deal with Disney is that the movies must be PG-13.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Isn't the Superman movie license held by the creator's estate with comic rights to DC/TimeWarner and movie rights to a different studio?

Also: it doesn't just apply to media [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.374286-Browncoats-Drive-New-Firefly-Lego-Set-Toward-Production#14496495].

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
or it's just that DC's characters are INFINITELY more difficult to write for considering how things are set up. They're very idealized which doesn't exactly make for plausible drama unless you go through heavy rewrites. By no means are they bad characters, but most of them don't have the right kind of baggage. Batman is easy to write for considering his origin story.

SlightlyEvil

Jan 17, 2008
Well, as disappointing as it is that the X-Men and the Avengers can't cross over, I can at least console myself with the fact that First Class was really good. Kind of the exception, though. Other than Spider-Man (which tanked at the third film) or X-Men (which arguably tanked on the third film [I liked it well enough] but definitely tanked on the fourth film), what Marvel movies not produced by Marvel themselves have actually been any good?

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
That explains why all the Avengers tie-ins are done well why the new Ghost Rider and Spiderman films are complete bullocks.

This also means that sense Fox owns mutants we'll never get a good Deadpool movie ;_;

Life is cruel.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
How long though do they have to wait before Disney can say "Your clearly have no serious intentions to actually make this movie any time soon." cause I'm pretty sure Daredevil, Blade and Fantastic Four should be up for reclaiming now.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the Mutants back soon enough if I know anything about how Fox does business.
I'm guessing Disney would have to offer them a lot of money. Like in Billions.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
OMG, this is perfect! I've been trying to explain to people why we won't be seeing Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc. in a theoretical Avengers 2 movie, and this is going to REALLY help out!

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
TheEnglishman said:
How long though do they have to wait before Disney can say "Your clearly have no serious intentions to actually make this movie any time soon." cause I'm pretty sure Daredevil, Blade and Fantastic Four should be up for reclaiming now.
It's probably in the fine print of the actual agreement but My guess is something like 5 to 10 years. So yeah that's good for blade but not the other 2.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is all really obvious, and the most unfortunate thing is that people will now cite it verbatim for no other reason than MovieBob said it.

...Which is fine in this case, I guess, but for the wrong reasons.

I still really would like to see cameos of guys from other studios, but I do understand it won't happen. What we want and what can be done are often completely different scenarios.

Also, I want a good Daredevil movie, so yes, I do want another Daredevil movie. And I will NOT cry if it's a reboot.

DVS BSTrD said:
I'm pretty sure we'll be getting the Mutants back soon enough if I know anything about how Fox does business.
Nah.

See, they can keep rebooting things. They could literally do another X-Men reboot next year and keep the rights going, make a decent amount of cash, and prevent that future boo-boo. Since a reboot can mean completely new cast, they don't run into the problem they do with several TV series and since they have to worry about the reversion of rights they cannot afford to treat it the same as most of their projects.

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
Thankfully, Marvel does have a bit of material to work with within their own series of movies, don't they? Take War Machine, for example. We know he exists in the continuity of the movies, and, he didn't show up in The Avengers (which I was a bit sad about). Likewise, isn't Marvel already working on plans for movies for more "obscure" characters, like Doctor Strange and the like?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheEnglishman said:
Fantastic 4 is only 5 years old and they've got a project in progress. Daredevil also has a attempt at a movie in progress.

"clearly no intent" is hard to demonstrate here.

The rights to Blade may go back far enough that they can literally sit on it. Bob makes the concept sound really old, but it's a relatively novel concept to go "you're not using it, so we get it back."