The Big Picture: Wrongs & Rights

DemBones

Apr 20, 2012
Disney has always been notorious for lobbying the government to increase the number of years that creative works stay out of the public domain. The reason IP and copyright laws have gotten the way they are is probably because of them. I guess we'll never get that crossover when Captain America meets the Fantastic Four and realizes that he and Johnny are the same person (maybe in a weird, Fight Club sort of way).

Speaking of future Avengers, I'm pretty sure that Edgar Wright is still going to make an Ant-Man movie. It's strange that Marvel would pick a stylish and semi-author director like Wright, since they tend to pick more workmanlike directors that can get the job done quickly and cheaply, like Jon Favreau and Joe Johnston. Regardless, with Edgar Wright directing the film the result will probably be spectacular, but not make as much money as Disney would have hoped.

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
I'm confused. Is Deadpool considered a mutant now? I thought his regeneration factor was created after he was born.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
"There is some dispute over who owns the rights to Namor, the Sub-Mariner"

And yet...no one cares. Because seriously, a Sub-Mariner movie would be only slightly more exciting than an Aquaman movie.

Good video though, nice to get a little more info on this stuff.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
"...aside from Batman, Warner Bros. seems to really suck at this."

This just in, Bob has made a massive understatement. Film at 11.

Pat Hulse

Oct 17, 2011
The rights for both Punisher AND Blade have already reverted to Marvel Studios. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/blade_movies/news/?a=42706

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
DemBones said:
Disney has always been notorious for lobbying the government to increase the number of years that creative works stay out of the public domain. The reason IP and copyright laws have gotten the way they are is probably because of them.
This is a different set of IP and copyright laws than the one you're thinking of. This is an IP use law. It's not the same as the IP creation law.

If I created a character, that is my IP.
If you want to make a movie of my character, I can give you permission to use my IP, as long as you give me some money.

That's how this works.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
I'm happy any time someone points out just how much money Warner Bros. ISN'T making by producing good DC Comics movies. Nobody beats the House of Ideas. It'd make me just pee myself with delight if Avengers outperformed Dark Knight Rises, and I bet it will. I saw that hovercraft thing in the last DKR trailer and facepalmed.

Green Ninja

Aug 10, 2009
upgray3dd said:
I'm confused. Is Deadpool considered a mutant now? I thought his regeneration factor was created after he was born.
Yes, but more than anything, he's a supporting character for the X-Men. His origin story is tied into Wolverine's, he's part of X-Force, used to hand around with Cable a lot etc.

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
I believe Marvel Studios has the Blade and Punisher rights returned to them.

http://www.comicmix.com/news/2011/07/26/marvel-studios-regains-punisher-and-blade/

Edit: Just scrolled up after posting this, I have been ninja'd. :(

Still I really hope all those character film licenses go back to Marvel Studios.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Going forward, Dr. Strange is the next logical choice for a stand-alone hero. He's of a different flavor from the other heroes (magic, as opposed to miscellaneous science or mythological gods), so there's room for something new.

Lots of Ant-Man friends out there, but I don't know that he could work in a stand-alone. Also, we have to ask if he's really a different enough character to add to the ensemble. Troubled science guy? We got that covered twice. He'd have to be in a shared movie (like how Black Widow was introduced via Iron Man, or Hawkeye through Thor).

Black Panther is, I feel, a character whose time has passed -- the "everything African is tribal and jungley" era in comics. The only viable reason to run with him is the racial homogeneity of the current team. That leaves us Luke Cage... and I'm not sure he's the best way to go, either. A better choice, for my money, would be a recasting of either Dr. Strange or Ant-Man as non-white.

Dr. Strange could work very well under a different race or ethnicity, as long as we avoid the tendency to make "magical minorities" so overbearingly stereotypical (basically, don't make a black Dr. Strange look like the James Bond Baron Samedi). But then again, why focus only on black? Why not Hispanic Central or South American? Indian?

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Can the Escapist get in trouble for having (not)Rouge and (not)Iron Man in their ad bumper for the publisher's club? Or does that fall under "original character, do not steal"

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
MovieBob said:
Wrongs & Rights

MovieBob takes a close look at what it takes to get a character from the comics into the movies.

Watch Video
Ok Bob, who owns the rights to Adam Warlock? If I remember right he first appeared in the Fantastic Four as Him, and then appeared in Marvel Presents as Adam Warlock so is he Sony or Marvel? I'm hoping Marvel because well, Thanos without Warlock would be a sad sad day.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I'd say abandon Earth for the next 5 movie series. Make it a Guardians of the Galaxy series and focus on Adam Warlock, Quasar, Moondragon, and Nova (New Continuity, new rules). The overarching threat should be Thanos. One movie threats should be Korvac, Anihilius, Beyonder, and maybe Gamora.

Yeah not going to happen because outside of Galactus and Silver Surfer, who is a well known enough space character to carry a movie?

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Your final joke about Warner Brothers left me in weeping hilarity. Then the hilarity faded and I just wept myself into a bucket of chicken and self pity.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Well that explains alot.

I guess Marvel really regrets having to have sold those rights now that the Avengers are a BIG succes.

And I sort of feel sorry for WB for only being able to make good Batman movies.

The gritty ones. Not the others.