The Big Picture: Wrongs & Rights

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Why is the "IP" a finite resource?
Why can't a movie studio just go to marvel and buy some paperwork limited contract whateverthehell to make 1 movie about the hulk or whatever other marvel character/universe?
Why can they sit on it, preventing other, less shit movie makers from making a movie by cranking out more movies that are shit?

Why is this so goddamn clunky?

JoelChenFA

Play Minecraft. Watch Top Gear.
Nov 24, 2010
Vausch said:
So, here's a question: Why can't the studios collaborate? Y'know, like they all go "Okay we'll make the movie and divide the gross 3 ways and split the budget 3 ways. Each of us invests 60 to 100 million, each of us is almost guaranteed to get that back and then some".

Oversimplification is now done, let's see how I'm out of touch!
Maybe in Communist Russia that the way they do it. But capitalism fueled by greed? That's why "rights" and lawyers exist no?

JoelChenFA

Nov 24, 2010
BabySinclair said:
I keep praying that Fox backs down on the next Daredevil. That way we can get a Heroes For Hire movie with him, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist. Sad that the Iron Fist movie Marvel was rumored to be working on years ago never got anywhere, Ray Parks would have been the lead.

To Marvel: The Avengers just made piles of money, put it to use buying your rights back
Unfortunately in Business (and Pawn Stars) you don't make money paying more than market value for something. Even if you paid more you better hope you earn it back. Anyone holding the rights is going to leverage the current hype of Avengers to ask for insane prices. As they should.

JoelChenFA

Nov 24, 2010
spectrenihlus said:
If we wanted to get Spider man, x-men, et cetera back under Marvel's roof does that mean we should boycott the new Spider-man film?
I have thus decided to boycott just in case it works

JoelChenFA

Nov 24, 2010
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Great video, Bob, very much taps into the questions that are circulating in the wake of the movie, and clears up a fair bit of stuff.

Also, Marvel are going to need to get their game on and release quite a few more new hero movies because ...
... otherwise Thanos will absolutely obliterate The Avengers in the second film.
Avengers 2. Roll Intro Marvel comic book flipping scene. Thanos flicks fingers. Fade to black. Avengers eat shwarma.

We will watch it anyways.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
JoelChenFA said:
Vausch said:
So, here's a question: Why can't the studios collaborate? Y'know, like they all go "Okay we'll make the movie and divide the gross 3 ways and split the budget 3 ways. Each of us invests 60 to 100 million, each of us is almost guaranteed to get that back and then some".

Oversimplification is now done, let's see how I'm out of touch!
Maybe in Communist Russia that the way they do it. But capitalism fueled by greed? That's why "rights" and lawyers exist no?
So you're saying capitalism, the system that says you can make money by any means possible, is preventing them of doing something that would probably guarantee a billion-dollar movie because they're too interested in money.

My head hurts.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i heard that in DC, supposedly each writer/creator owns their character, and that's why they can't make a Justice League movie, cause they'd need all of the writers to agree and that's too expensive or something...
Again, can't remember where I heard this, so... yeah.

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
How confusing - such a shame that Marvel sold off their rights before becoming a movie brand themselves. I would love to see members of the X-Men and Spiderman or even the Fantastic 4 working with the Avengers. Even if it just to finish the Illuminati should they want to include them in a film.

That beng said there are a lot of other heroes they could still use - Black Panther, Luke Cage, Dr Strange etc. Also could Juggernaught be used? In some stories lines I thought he wasn't classed as a mutant but gets his power from some God (recently read World War Hulk).

If all this fails I say we boycott all other films to make them wanna sell their rights back to Marvel!! Yeah that's not gonna happen...

murdeoc

Jun 11, 2011
what really gets me is that i had to read this whole damn thread without anyone asking about juggernaut, he isnt a mutant right? does he belong with the x-men because of his relation to the xaviers?
i mean, let spidey have a rumble with him... jugger was wrongly portraid as a mutant already in the xmen last stand movie, as a punishment he should be free for all now!