The Biggest Hoax Of All Time?

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
pollution to the ozone is definitely a big deal because it protects the earth from a lot of harmful UV rays. If we destroy it I don't think it will set the earth on fire per se but we definitely would not be able to stay out in the sun without suffering severe skin cancer eventually. Though as for the ice caps melting and flooding the world, that's a load of BS. If 1/3 have already melted, and the water has raised an inch, then when the other 2/3 melt, guess what's going to fucking happen. It is not going to engulf mt everest in water or flood California. the water is just going to raise two. more. fucking. inches. (though it might flood new orleans again because that place is a hazard in every way shape and form.)

The Steel Ninja

Mar 31, 2009
Guitarmasterx7 said:
pollution to the ozone is definitely a big deal because it protects the earth from a lot of harmful UV rays. If we destroy it I don't think it will set the earth on fire per se but we definitely would not be able to stay out in the sun without suffering severe skin cancer eventually. Though as for the ice caps melting and flooding the world, that's a load of BS. If 1/3 have already melted, and the water has raised an inch, then when the other 2/3 melt, guess what's going to fucking happen. It is not going to engulf mt everest in water or flood California. the water is just going to raise two. more. fucking. inches. (though it might flood new orleans again because that place is a hazard in every way shape and form.)
Dude, 2 inches is srs bsnz. But to anyone who thinks we're all doomed because the Earth is a bit warmer than it used to be, I would direct you to YouTube and to search for "Exposed: Climate of Fear" and "The Global Warming Swindle". Two very informative documentaries that give you the side you never hear.

Seekster

May 28, 2008
Once again all the World's problems can be solved if we just built and used a Death Star...

Alucadrian

Jan 29, 2009
Intelligent, cohesive, intriguing beginning to open a discussion, TC. My physics class has just finished a three-week long segment on the global warming issue, so I find the conundrum of insufficient data on both sides of this question to be very interesting indeed.

My regards, friend.

Alucadrian

Jan 29, 2009
Aries_Split said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Is this thread a joke? Do you own homework, OP, I'm not going to do research for you that's already been verified and accepted by 99.9% of the scientific community.
There was a period where the idea of intelligent creation was accepted by 99.99% of the earth.

Just because people accept doesn't mean it's true or in any way validate it.
Word. Every revolutionary intellectual thinker in the history of humankind began as the tiny fraction of a percent standing alone against the grand majority who believed otherwise. This doesn't make every minority correct, but it does suggest that good science lies in hearing out and being willing to fully test EVERY theory, no matter how popular.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
Thank you. This is what the Escapist Off-Topic was made for. The free exchange of different ideals and opinions. That, and Jonas Bros. hate threads.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
Like others have pointed out, the subject is wáy and wáy too big for us. There's no point in claiming "these are facts!" about basically anything on the matter. Just as much as it could be 100% us causing the heating, we could just as well be entering a warmer period before a new ice age. Heck, it might have something to do with processes going on inside the sun. Science simply isn't that advanced yet, and the disputing reports show exactly that. Nobody seems to understand that we *lack the knowledge*.

I have to say I find it a tad silly that there's people in here posting "Hey we've just had the coldest winter ever! This is obviously proof that climate change is (not) happening". There are at least over a million factors influencing everything that's going on with this planet, of which we do not even understand half of it. With emphasis on every word in that sentence. If you're really convinced that one hot summer or one cold winter proves anything AT ALL all I can do is /facepalm.

That said, I agree with the OP on it being a hoax. Sure, the earth *might* be getting hotter. Sure, we *might* play a part in it. Sure, the part we play *might* be influential. Sure, 'living green' *might* actually work. But hell, I'm not going to take all that for granted and spend all my money on 'living green', especially not when there's people around who own 15 cars. The media are currently treating 'living green' as something that is simply "normal" to do. We're being drilled into doing stuff of which we don't know what to possibly fix a problem of which we're not even sure if it's there or if we're causing it at all.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
I think mozared gets it. I'm not saying "Go on, dump your toxic waste barrels into the river, a massive cloud of space dust will suffocate the earth long before the mutants get you. I'm just trying to crack down on stupid things such as people walking up to you at stores and asking you to give them 71 cents of carbn credits for the gasoline you spent driving to the store. We need to protect this planet, but we cannot accomplish it under the false guise that this natural global cycle is preventable. We have made choices already that have set things into motion. We didn't cause it, though we may be accelerating it. [sarcasm]But on the bright side, acceleration means it will be over quicker! [/sarcasm Also, regarding the "dinosaurs and dodos" comment, we can't be held accountable if a meteor hit them both.

Locke26

Apr 2, 2009
I have seen "convincing" sets of numbers in support of both sides of the global warming debate (supporting arguments and numbers for both sides can be quickly found with a simple google search), to the point that I'm not convinced one way or the other. The devil is almost always in the details for all of these studies: check where the readings are from and what readings are actually taken and the numbers will make sense. Basically a lot of the popular studies bouncing around have cherry-picked the data they present (as well as how they model it) to make it unduly support one side or the other.

But when somebody like Al Gore (whose own energy consumption in a month rivals what most people use in a year or even two) tells me I have to buy all this stuff or the world will burst into either a fiery or a watery apocalypse, I tend to lean towards hoax.

I'm certainly not suggesting that there's no benefit to environmental and energy conservation. But I don't think it's going to cause or prevent doomsday.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
Exactly Locke. We can't cause or prevent any true doomsday event. If it is doomsday, then nothing short of a Pandemic 2 -esque plague that starts on Madagscar could be man's fault.

Locke26

Apr 2, 2009
TheLivingDaylights said:
So nobody got my pandemic 2 joke I guess? Its a flash game on Kongregate
I played the first one for a little bit, very interesting game =)

I also thought these were very funny news headlines, regardless of which side of the global warming debate you find yourself:

Out With A Shiver: Global Warming Protest Frozen Out by Massive Snowfall (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/03/02/shiver-global-warming-protest-frozen-massive-snowfall/)

Explorers On Global Warming Expedition Stranded in North Pole by Cold Weather (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509735,00.html)

(It's also interesting that they're both on foxnews.com, although that's another discussion topic entirely.)

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
Say a bad thing about Fox news and I'll kill you. They are the only ones who report stories like this because they have no agenda other than the truth. NBC funds smear campaigns.

Locke26

Apr 2, 2009
Exactly, and that's that whole other topic =)

I honestly am not informed enough to make serious judgments about the news industry, but I like checking all the sites because I'll find things on each that aren't on the others (although that happens much more frequently on fox; some will argue it's because fox is more fair and balanced than the others, others will argue it's because fox is more biased than the others.) I find it fascinating either way.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
Lets put it this way. FoxNews supports a program that helps rape victims, It Happened To Alexa. During Alexa's trial many years ago, NBC prolonged it by saying she wanted the sex, she was a whore, and recently has printed attack articles on her. They also take sarcastic comments out of context and try to pass it off as a true quote. They should at least have something under each reporter's name. That way, you would understand if it was the left-wing side of a story or a right-wing opinion. Fox repeatedly has guests from all parties, not just Democrat and Republican, on their shows. NBC News won't ut you on their show without a pre-written script. I don't care what network you might choose to watch, I just can't stand to see hatred of a network that is based on lies.

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
TheLivingDaylights said:
Say a bad thing about Fox news and I'll kill you. They are the only ones who report stories like this because they have no agenda other than the truth. NBC funds smear campaigns.

Well at least we now know why your information is laughably inaccurate.

TheLivingDaylights

Mar 31, 2009
But ANYWAY, back onto the topic of global warming. I'll make a FoxNews thread later. The point is, you are pulling numbers, stats, and charts out of you ass, and the worst part is, the people who made them pulled them out of their asses.

Bad Neighbour

Jan 14, 2009
I think it works both ways. Global warming probably has been romanticised a bit, but it's probably more due to us running out of resources than the planet actually warming up. We should be saving energy and such regardless. Plus with the effect we've had on other areas of the planet (i.e. making stuff extinct, knocking out the forests and so on) it's not exactly hard to imagine that we could kill the planet this way too.

...although I lolled at 'AL Gore invented it' and 'half the countrys in the middle east have nukes'. Yeah okay. So Israel is half the middle east now? Heck, i'm not even sure if it's in the middle east tbh... I know it's the only country in that area of the world with nukes though, ignorant speculation aside.