The Binding of Isaac Console Bound

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Binding of Isaac Console Bound

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth features fancier graphics, new content and local co-op.

Edmund McMillen has confirmed that his creepy, brilliant dungeon crawler, The Binding of Isaac, is heading to consoles in the form of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. The remade game is being published by Nicalis, the same studio/publisher responsible for the console ports of Cave Story, La-Mualana and VVVVV. It features revamped graphics, new content in the form of a second expansion and local co-op.

While local co-op and actual gamepad support will be nice, I'm more excited to see the game running on something other than flash. Despite its simple visuals, Isaac played havoc with even the strongest PCs. Nicalis will be doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to the port, with McMillen providing designs for the new enemies and environments. It'll also be handling all the paperwork, as one of McMillen's conditions for porting the game was that he won't have to "deal with anything when it came to business."

"The whole game will be remade and rebalanced," McMillen wrote on Formspring back in August. "The remake will be more than just an expansion; it will be a new game with all new graphics, music, etc. It will also feature an expansion sized pack of all new content, bosses, characters enemies, items, etc. And yes, in about a year, if/when it comes out, the Flash version of the game will appear obsolete for sure... The goal is to also keep the cost of the remake as close to Isaac+wrath as possible as well."

McMillen says he's looking to discount the game for those who already own the original Flash version, but it remains to be seen how, or even if, that'll be possible.

There's no word on which consoles will eventually get the game, but unless there's been some major changes at Nintendo in the past six months, I reckon a Wii U/3DS release is still <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116092-Nintendo-Rejects-Binding-of-Isaac-on-3DS>less than likely.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/182380/postmortem_mcmillen_and_himsls_.php] via EdmundM.com [http://edmundm.com/post/36750281624/binding-of-isaac-postmortem-remake-officially]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Screw consoles. I want this on handheld. I became a Binding of Isaac junkie the last few months, putting up 30 hours in that span. It's so fun and doesn't get old. Would love to have it on the go. It's well-suited for handhelds too.

But hey, new people will be coming in and sharing my rage towards Greed Heads/Hangers. Those guys always seem to land at least one hit, and they try to steal my money. Not cool, guys. Not cool.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Would like Vita version, plz.

plz.

OT: The Binding of Isaac is probably one of the best games I've played this year and have put well over 40 hours into it. And that's just the stand-alone game. There's no telling how many more hours I'll put into it once I get Wrath of The Lamb.

Still, I wouldn't mind playing local co-op with my sister. She friggin' loves the game even though she can't get past the first few stages.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have fears that this remake will be as good as the original, whether that be by someone else doing the work or by console makers neutering the content.. but I also know I'll be buying it day one.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Am I the only one that has a sense of deja vu on this? I'm sure this was reported on before, or something similar to this.

People here seem to rate it rather highly, so I'm looking forward to it on XBLA.

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
Andy Shandy said:
Am I the only one that has a sense of deja vu on this? I'm sure this was reported on before, or something similar to this.

People here seem to rate it rather highly, so I'm looking forward to it on XBLA.
A console port has been talked about for a long time, but this is the first I've heard of Nicalis being involved and it coming with a new expansion. Anything that keeps Ed McMillan's choice of programmers away from his designs is cool by me.

Zagzag

Sep 11, 2009
Well, if new stuff is being added it would be good if us PC players could get hold of it somehow, but this seems unlikely.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
No Flash?, Local Co-op!??

Now at least I'll have another game to play with my nephew aside from Magicka.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Local co-op!? SOLD!!

I looked this up on Wikipedia...Nintendo rejected it for the 3DS because of questionable religious content...did they not realize SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI was made for the DS?
Aw, seriously? I would love to have this game on my DS (it's a Lite...but hey, a guy can dream). I guess the DS will continue to collect dust, then.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sounds good to me.
Hell, hope it gets released on PSP. Roguelikes are so made for mobile gaming but there seem to be so few.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
kman123 said:
I guess this is how PC elitists felt when Terraria was released on consoles.

Though I'm not an elitist OR a prick I'm glad it's getting a console release. I won't be touching it since I'm unhealthily attached to the PC version (seriously...so many fucking hours clocked in that game) and I'll keep using the PC version cos of reasons.

I still need to beat ???
The difference between this and Terraria is that the new content in this is going to be released on the PC as well.

Anyways, despite not playing it all that much, I'm still looking forward to it!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Couldn't agree with the article more: This game desperately needs a different programming lanuage as base. I'm looking forward to the PC release, although it'll probably be another Steam exclusive... Meh.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I would have thought that everyone and their dog would've gotten this on steam sale by now.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
This was made by the same guys who made Super Meat Boy isn't it?

I've heard really good things about this game, glad that it's coming to consoles.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
It would make an excellent iPad game, and the Vita would lap it up, ohh and the DS could use the whole top screen for the game and the bottom screen for map and items. McMillan seems to be ignoring handhelds and iOS but really that's the best platform for his games I think... he'd make a damn fortune with Isaac on the Apple store.