The Bureau: XCom Declassified Trailer Screams YOLO!

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
The internet hate machine never fails to amuse me. EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE! I HATE THIS! I HATE YOU! I HATE YOUR GAME! Sheesh.

I thought the video was cute, and possibly the result of someone saying "fuck it, let's do it!" while fuzzy-headed from not enough sleep and too much coffee. Since the game's due soon, they're probably in crunch mode at the studio, right? That could easily explain how this got made.

Anyway, I'm excited for the game, and I'm glad to see that the people making the game are real humans who sometimes like to have a laugh, and are not SUPER SERIOUS ALL THE TIME. It's a video game, not the cure for cancer.*

(* Cancer researchers should also be allowed to have some laughs.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Wow, people are being little girls about this. It's reasonably funny-ish video that outlines how your squad suffers from permadeath. I don't get some of you: it's not a TBS version of the game, there is nothing but bitching and complaining. They take some of the elements of that and throw it in this (making it even more awesome in my opinion) and there is nothing but bitching and complaining.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Jesus, people are being idiots about this.

Apparently devs aren't allowed to have a little fun.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Novaova said:
Baresark said:
Wow, people are being little girls about this.
(hands on hips)
And what exactly is THAT supposed to mean?

. . .

I kid! Don't hit me! =D
I'm at work and I wrote that post: then I did some work and then came back after writing that post and was like, "why the hell would I say something like that!" Glad I haven't actually offended anyone with that... yet. I have this thing where I don't edit posts because I like to let people see the general arch of stupidity I follow when I'm not paying that much attention to what I'm posting.

Novaova

Feb 2, 2010
Give it time. The internet hate machine will come around and declare you to be LITERALLY HITLER any minute now.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
I actually think that makes it even better. One more 'gritty realistic our game is for serious' trailer and I was going to go insane. I'm glad that marketers are starting to realize that not everything has to be serious. (Sharknado, amirite?)

I mean, why worry about jokingly insulting your fan base when there's marketing to be done? #YOLO
This.

I thought it was a great trailer.
This game has managed to go from "meh, don't care" to being surprisingly intriguing with everything new I hear about it, and this trailer does nothing to change the trend.

Seriously though - its just some lighthearted fun to advertise that the game will feature perma-death. And I mean even if the whole YOLO thing annoys you - pretty much everyone in the trailer dies a horrible death immediately after saying it, whats not great about that?

I swear, the things people get butt-hurt about these days ...

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
I get it's tongue-in-cheek, but it's still annoying. It's not because the game is in a serious setting, I mean I'd still be ticked if the meme was used in a Deadpool trailer. It's still pandering to the annoying shit kids like.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
shadowmagus said:
While the whole "YOLO" thing is stupid, I found myself mildly amused by this. Its meant to be comical, obviously, so taken in said context, it's not the worst two minutes I've ever spent on a youtube video.

Eh, it's standard GameStop fare. Their PR department doesn't take most games seriously. Anyone who complains about this ad's tone doesn't know that this isn't produced by 2K Games.

Rest assured - the actual game won't involve Redshirts screaming Internet memes at the top of their lungs.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
Bostur said:
[...] I thought it was funny. There is something very traditional X-Com'ish about sending dozens of soldiers to their deaths and saying whoops.
Well said, especially for anyone familiar with the original UFO: Enemy Unknown or even the recent release. The games are renowned for their unforgiving nature so the maker's acknowledgement & parody of this is hugely funny. I suspect that a lot of the disparagement comes from people unable to understand self-deprecation.

Eppy (Bored)

Crazed Organist
Jan 7, 2009
Two observations:

1.) This was actually funny for the first couple of times, and most of the non-YOLO dialogue is hilarious, but it is way too long. This joke would have been funny if the trailer were a minute long, or even 1:15, but it seriously overstays its welcome and goes from being ironically funny to pandering and beaten-to-death.

2.) This is essentially the old Leroy Jenkins meme, which probably would have been a little funnier.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
I will say I overall enjoyed the trailer, though I feel that it over stay it's welcome a bit. Still enjoyable, I mean I was laughing at the first few times.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I shall send each and every man carelessly to the death, until whoever lives promise me they will not break timeline continuum regulation by using horrid early 21'st century twitterslang.

It is simply in bad form for courageous defenders of the planet.

(I hope they don't say that in game. But it's a fun little trailer. I'm looking forward for an FPS! It looks exciting and intruiging! Doctor! It's happening again!!)

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I think it's wonderful. It's a game, it's a serious game, everyone knows(or should know) it's a serious game. This is just being funny because it's something different. Would you care for the generic voice over about how the world is being invaded by aliens and only can stop it with amazing leadership? Or just have it acknowledged it's a game, and have a silly trailer, and a serious one right after/before it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kristian Fischer said:
Yeah, because 4chan is totally worth quoting, and shouldn't be burned to the ground and sown with salt. Lighten up, people. For Glod's sake, be a little less cynical and you'll live happier lives.
consdering that 4chan is probably the only place where people are not censored no matter their opinion and that save for /b/ its not really as bad as people think, yes, it is worth quoting. and not it should not be burned to the ground. What should be burned to the ground is anyone who uses "YOLO".

K.ur said:
It's like people mistake this machina for real gameplay.
Because its not like Trailers are meant to show us real gameplay....

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
First off all, this

Promised my self i'd post this on the next persons fb page that uses THAT phrase, but this will do.

Second, this game just lost all my respect.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I have to admit. I laughed. it was so stupid and childish, but I laughed. Hope the game is good.