The Colbert Retort

Shadowkire

Apr 4, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Every social justice warrior cause pivots on the fact that hating white men is entirely acceptable. No matter what your cause, if it somehow eventually pointing out just how awful white men are, then it's a good thing... as far as these people are concerned
[footnote]Bolded the racist part in case you didn't catch it. The entire comment strongly implies a white people vs non-white people mentality, ergo, implied racism, and then ends it with "these people".[/footnote]

These are just four out of twenty comments on that video, but a ratio of 20% of respondants being complete fucking dickheads isn't negligible. I haven't seen anybody here on this site say anything particularly negative towards Suey other than "she's wrong", which really shouldn't be a negative thing to say, or accusations that she's a racist because, well, she said "as a white man I wouldn't expect you to understand", which is, well, kind of a racist thing to say. Just because its not happening here, doesn't mean its not happening elsewhere, and its not okay to pretend that it isn't happening elsewhere.
I completely agree with you except on your interpretation of that last quote, it is entirely possible that poster meant the "social justice warriors" when s/he used the phrase "these people".

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I went through a SJW phase when I was a teenager... I once tried to have a custom Warcraft 3 map pulled from a download site because it was 'racist' because the npcs you killed for experience were obviously inferred to be Aboriginals. Then I got my comeuppance when someone of Aboriginal descent chimed in that he didn't give a shit about the map but found my claiming to be offended on his behalf actually offensive because it was belittling. Lesson learned!

People won't grow out of it anymore because Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook have evolved into echo-chambers where they can get their view passively reinforced with retweets, hashtags etc and ignore any criticism by dismissing it as 'trolling'.

The sad thing is that they give ammunition to people who want to be legitimately racist by claiming it as an example of 'political correctness gone mad'.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Hang on... American people getting offended? WHAT? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!

Now really, I barely know what the Colbert Report is, or even the character/guy for that matter, but I read CHING CHONG DING DONG and already knew it had to be a joke, since given the way that people refer to Colbert, him making an actually racist comment seems weird.

Also, I just can't really stand these "OMG DEFEND EVERYONE" movement that started some time ago, I get what's kind of the point of it, but I just think most of the time it gets borderline stupid with the amout of mislead "social warriors" yelling "everyone's special so F*CK YOU!", which is kind of mind-boggling.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
All you needed to know to not get offended by this is that the whole show's satire. These people make me sad for the future of humanity.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
From the Colbert Report website:
"Tonight: Twitter Co-Founder Biz Stone stops by, and Stephen gets free technical help"
Perfect! Pretty sure all this is going to do is skyrocket his ratings.

OH and this is an interesting quote from the article MovieBob linked to about Park:
"Suey is not Park?s real first name. It's an online pseudonym playing off the name of the Chinese dish."
Describing herself as particularly tortured by a lifetime of such jokes... yet she makes herself into one?
Odd choice given her complaint... though I could see the name as "satire" on her part, if I believed she understood its use.
o_O

In most regards, I'm sure she is well-intentioned. But she is also more than a bit ignorant on the specific matter at hand and clearly out of her depth in terms of responding intelligently to the debate.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
...So basically this is another incident where everything can be summed up as "Twitter Is Bad For Communication"?

Well, looks like I gotta expand my "Why I Don't Use Twitter" list.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
V8 Ninja said:
...So basically this is another incident where everything can be summed up as "Twitter Is Bad For Communication"?

Well, looks like I gotta expand my "Why I Don't Use Twitter" list.
Where twitter is bad for communication, and tumblr/sjw's take advantage of the lack of context to fuel their pseudo outrage.

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Hunter85792 said:
The real problem here is twitter.

If Park had read an article summarising the episode instead of a short quote taken out of context then there would be no misunderstanding about Stephen's feelings regarding Asian-Americans.

Really hope Colbert satirises this.

Never mind that, she knew exactly what he has saying and is just a typical sjw. Jesus, why the hell do these people exist. Now I really hope Colbert rips her apart.

Edit: For anyone like me that thought this was born out of a misunderstanding on Park's part, here's a video for you (I know, I know, HuffPost):
Oh wow after seeing that, I really hope Colbert tears her a new one. She's precisely the kind of person Colbert specializes in: someone completely oblivious to their own hypocrisy. Wouldn't surprise me if they invite her on the show at some point to let her completely speak her mind.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I think people like Park is why the term "SJW" exists at all. I remember listing to an episode of the Dismal Jesters with Escapist's Jim Sterling, and they talked quite a bit about the definition of this word and how they don't quite get how its supposed to be derogatory. Well it is people like Park that make me understand. This idea that we should grab our pitch forks and torches to protest every small gaff, or threaten boycotts and revolutions for problems that simple open and honest communication could solve. People who pull out the sword when the pen would suffice. These are the people that give that word power.

I support the Asian American movement, and I am friends with quite a few people who may be considered activists in this movement who I would gladly help in any way I could. Certainly that's not to imply that I agree with everything they say, but they are vocal about what they believe, and are always willing to discuss the best way to move forward. Park is not one of these people. I could never support a person who believes that hate a bigotry should be battled with vitriol and spiteful bigotry of her own; or more likely doesn't even have the sense to know that this is what she is doing.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Hunter85792 said:
The real problem here is twitter.

If Park had read an article summarising the episode instead of a short quote taken out of context then there would be no misunderstanding about Stephen's feelings regarding Asian-Americans.

Really hope Colbert satirises this.

Never mind that, she knew exactly what he has saying and is just a typical sjw. Jesus, why the hell do these people exist. Now I really hope Colbert rips her apart.

Edit: For anyone like me that thought this was born out of a misunderstanding on Park's part, here's a video for you (I know, I know, HuffPost):
i made it two minutes in before i had to stop. i can't wait til this girl returns the semi-anonymous status she came from. i mean, immediately she admits that her sensationalism is just that, not an actual call for action. she thinks that the only way to gather attention to a topic is to go as extremist as possible.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
@suey_park is 22, people are allowed to be stupid at 22. It would be nice if she apologized, but I get the sense that she is someone who can never admit to being wrong.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Callate said:
That's a reasonable point. I think it galls me more in left-wing culture because inclusion and tolerance are supposed to be something the left-leaning internalize in their philosophy; the right-leaning seem more likely to say that they never claimed to be looking out for anyone outside of their tribe, or trying to develop or change their traditions.
Well, they also tend to claim they are standing up for Freedom and the Constitution. So, there's plenty of hypocrisy to go around.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
ccdohl said:
". . .hijacking the conversation in order to make Park the latest subject of The Internet's favorite pastime: Beating Up Girls For Having Opinions."

That's incredibly sexist. To think that, if you disagree with a woman, you are beating her up, is pretty condescending.
No, I'm pretty sure it's not about disagreeing with her, and more about the harassing of her.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with her opinions, but why the need for the ridiculous abuse?

ccdohl said:
Alas, most people just think Suey Park is wrong and they disagree with her strongly. I bet that they would have done the same if she was a man. But then that victim card wouldn't be valid.
I disagree with her strongly, but that doesn't mean harassment is OK. If she was a man, it's highly unlikely that she would get the same kind of threats.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
5 minutes in and i love his response already. first, the dismissive joke dream sequence, then right into a separate racial story, showing that he isn't going to be stopped from being who he is.

EDIT: handled perfectly throughout the whole first act. i love that the Malkin lady cosigned the "Cancel Colbert" movement and also wrote a book called "In Defense of Internment" haha. brilliant.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
ccdohl said:
". . .hijacking the conversation in order to make Park the latest subject of The Internet's favorite pastime: Beating Up Girls For Having Opinions."

That's incredibly sexist. To think that, if you disagree with a woman, you are beating her up, is pretty condescending.
No, I'm pretty sure it's not about disagreeing with her, and more about the harassing of her.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with her opinions, but why the need for the ridiculous abuse?

ccdohl said:
Alas, most people just think Suey Park is wrong and they disagree with her strongly. I bet that they would have done the same if she was a man. But then that victim card wouldn't be valid.
I disagree with her strongly, but that doesn't mean harassment is OK. If she was a man, it's highly unlikely that she would get the same kind of threats.

They would have absolutely done the same thing if she was a man, it just would have been death threats instead of rape threats. This myth that men on the internet who say unpopular things, are in anyway insulated from the Internet hate train is laughable. The guy who made Fez is a sterling example. The guy was a bit of a prick, but that didn't mean he deserved the death threats and harassment. It was so bad it drove him out of the industry. What makes this any different. It's a person with an unpopular perspective trying to draw attention to herself, and the internet acted in a typical fashion of hand crafted personal insults and harassment. Hardly anything substantive, but non the less it's condensed hate being flung at you meant to go for as many low blows as possible.

Let me be clear here. I hate the way internet culture seems to foster this kind of behavior. I hate that it can be considered a standard affair now a days. I do want this kind of behavior to be lessened in someway. However, internet harassment and threats of this nature, are not a gender issue. It's just easier in our society to circle the wagons around a woman being harassed then a man who is being harassed. Plain and simple.

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
th3dark3rsh33p said:
They would have absolutely done the same thing if she was a man, it just would have been death threats instead of rape threats.
Absolute nonsense. There are men in this very thread who have posted essentially the same thing, and they have not got death threats.

You are aware that these women get death threats in addition to rape threats, right? Why is it that the men don't get rape threats, while women have to deal with the threats of both rape and death?

th3dark3rsh33p said:
However, internet harassment and threats of this nature, are not a gender issue. It's just easier in our society to circle the wagons around a woman being harassed then a man who is being harassed. Plain and simple.
Totally wrong and complex. This just does not happen to males in the same way. It has a lot to do with gender.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Aardvaarkman said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
They would have absolutely done the same thing if she was a man, it just would have been death threats instead of rape threats.
Absolute nonsense. There are men in this very thread who have posted essentially the same thing, and they have not got death threats.

You are aware that these women get death threats in addition to rape threats, right? Why is it that the men don't get rape threats, while women have to deal with the threats of both rape and death?

th3dark3rsh33p said:
However, internet harassment and threats of this nature, are not a gender issue. It's just easier in our society to circle the wagons around a woman being harassed then a man who is being harassed. Plain and simple.
Totally wrong and complex. This just does not happen to males in the same way. It has a lot to do with gender.
The the men in this forum aren't starting a campaign to cancel a TV show. It is in NO way equivalent in the slightest. I once again bring you to Phil Fish, who was 100% harassed by the internet out of the spot light with very little sympathy until he actually left.

At the end of it. What makes a rape threat worse then a death threat? Seriously. Men get death threats against them and their families all the time when they are unpopular and drawing a lot of attention to themselves. What is your justification for a difference?