The Colbert Retort

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
To be fair... Last night's episode of the Colbert Report is one of the funniest he's had in a while...

"So to recap, a web editor I've never met, posts a tweet in my name in an account I don't control; outrages a hashtag activist, and the news media gets 72 hours of content... The system worked."

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
martyrdrebel27 said:
Hunter85792 said:
The real problem here is twitter.

If Park had read an article summarising the episode instead of a short quote taken out of context then there would be no misunderstanding about Stephen's feelings regarding Asian-Americans.

Really hope Colbert satirises this.

Never mind that, she knew exactly what he has saying and is just a typical sjw. Jesus, why the hell do these people exist. Now I really hope Colbert rips her apart.

Edit: For anyone like me that thought this was born out of a misunderstanding on Park's part, here's a video for you (I know, I know, HuffPost):
i made it two minutes in before i had to stop. i can't wait til this girl returns the semi-anonymous status she came from. i mean, immediately she admits that her sensationalism is just that, not an actual call for action. she thinks that the only way to gather attention to a topic is to go as extremist as possible.
Shame. The end is the best part...

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
This is probably my favourite video regarding the whole thing:

Aardvaarkman said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
I once again bring you to Phil Fish, who was 100% harassed by the internet out of the spot light with very little sympathy until he actually left.
Which was a terrible thing, but was very unusual (unlike the harassment of women both online and in-person). And also had nothing to do with his gender.
That's not true and you know it, guys get harassed online to a similar degree that women do, it's just that when a woman is harassed the moron brigade use gendered insults to go with their usual vitriolic bullshit.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
The Deadpool said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Hunter85792 said:
The real problem here is twitter.

If Park had read an article summarising the episode instead of a short quote taken out of context then there would be no misunderstanding about Stephen's feelings regarding Asian-Americans.

Really hope Colbert satirises this.

Never mind that, she knew exactly what he has saying and is just a typical sjw. Jesus, why the hell do these people exist. Now I really hope Colbert rips her apart.

Edit: For anyone like me that thought this was born out of a misunderstanding on Park's part, here's a video for you (I know, I know, HuffPost):
i made it two minutes in before i had to stop. i can't wait til this girl returns the semi-anonymous status she came from. i mean, immediately she admits that her sensationalism is just that, not an actual call for action. she thinks that the only way to gather attention to a topic is to go as extremist as possible.
Shame. The end is the best part...
dammit, really? ugh, fine, i'll force my way through it. better be one hell of a payoff, like godzilla comes in and eats suey or something. RACISM!

EDIT: ugh, dammit, this is hard to watch. but i sat through it and i'm glad i did. if there was anything of value in her point originally (there wasn't) she lost it entirely when she got on to that "victimized by white men" kick. can we just collectively forget about this girl now? i certainly hope so.

linforcer

Sep 10, 2012
I've watched quite a bit of Colbert over time, and this joke is indeed so dense that if I would not have been able to easily follow this article if I didn't know what "The Colbert Report" is. Thank you for helping the world make sense of this, Bob.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Aardvaarkman said:
If she was a man, it's highly unlikely that she would get the same kind of threats.
I hear this a lot and it's really difficult to square with the fact that they totally do. It's just that no one cares.

sleeky01 said:
MovieBob said:
I'm not as down on Tumblr-style activism as some are.
Oh be very thankful for that Bob.
Very much this, though Tumblr is doing a lot of good in the world too. For one thing it's destroying the presumption that just because someone is angry they have a good reason to be. Tumblr shows very well that some people are just angry because reasons.

Incidentally I'm also not sure I agree with Bob's idea that mocking tumblractivism is 'beating up on women', she's being responded to in the same way she is behaving; on social media and in a dismissive way, she isn't actually being attacked. Essentially she's being debated and having her ideas dissected in response to the fact that she tried to get a show cancelled based on a joke she misunderstood and then didn't take correction well.

Serious question; is it always going to be 'beating up' when someone does something that would otherwise be described as 'lampooning' or 'grilling' if it weren't a woman?

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
Just watched his Monday episode and it was brilliant. The intro was funny, then he launches into an unrelated racial bit, THEN addresses the Twitter thing. You can tell he's confused and a bit angry about the whole thing.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
Alorxico said:
I doubt that is what SOCIALCONSTRUCT meant, but I can't think of any other definition for it.
Everything in magenta is sarcasm. I'm posing as a SJW for purpose of satire. In a way, it is similar to what Colbert does as a faux conservative.

Verlander said:
Conservative bigot gets offended at comedian smarter than they are, and hundreds of other conservatives jump on board at the opportunity to cancel a show mocking their stupidity
Au contraire mon frere, Colbert is being attacked from the left. Malkin only jumped on after the fact.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Verlander said:
Conservative bigot gets offended at comedian smarter than they are, and hundreds of other conservatives jump on board at the opportunity to cancel a show mocking their stupidity
Au contraire mon frere, Colbert is being attacked from the left. Malkin only jumped on after the fact.
The lady who started the whole thing has been taking her fair share of digs at "the left". It's butthurt over Colbert ripping on the right wing, and nothing more. If it were otherwise, they'd have all been angry at the Redskins thing, but funnily enough they all seem to be cool with that... ah, hypocrisy at it's finest.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Whenever people start to complain about Michael Bay, I ask: Should we hate Michael Bay for being a successful movie director or should we hate all the people that bought tickets to his crappy movies and made them popular?

There will always be cranks like Suey Park trying to call attention to themselves by making stupid, ill-informed declarations. However, I think it's time to focus on the real problem of SJW, or as I like to call them Faux Ragers. The gullible people who goes along with these idiots bleeting to everybody that will listen, "I FEELZ WHAT SHE FEELZ!!!"

It's a shame that MovieBob doesn't understand the legitimate criticism of Tumblr/SJW. Context matters! Not "Context matters whenever there is a criticism of something I like." It always matter! How people justify taking things out of context is to say, "I am making an important point that should not be ignored. So, context be damned!" Wrong! Either what you are criticizing is wholly offensive or it isn't. Not, "Well if you look at that one statement or an edited part(s) of the video. That is bigoted. So, I'm offended and so should you!"

There are lot of serious problems in the world today. There are no easy answers to solve them. However, trying to create controversy in the name of social justice and/or blindly repeating some ill thought out controversy. So, it makes you feel like you are solving the world's problems. You are not helping! You are actually undermining people who are trying to make the world a better place.

Gunnyboy

Sep 25, 2010

She has issues. Here's an article on her.
http://joslynstevens.com/2014/03/30/cancelcolbert-politics-offended/#.UzuG1lf4KpA

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
Verlander said:
The lady who started the whole thing has been taking her fair share of digs at "the left".
Suey Park has been taking digs at anyone, including progressives, for being insufficiently left wing within the framework of her particular left wing identity politics. In other words, she is a social justice warrior on the lookout to do some social justice warrioring. You're not seriously arguing that Suey is on the right are you?

Verlander said:
It's butthurt over Colbert ripping on the right wing, and nothing more.
Again, Suey raised her alarm over the "Ching-Chong Ding-Dong" tweet. Suey explicitly stated this as the reason for her #CancelColbert campaign so there isn't any ambiguity left open for interpretation. If you try to think through the implications of what you are saying then you will realize that your opinions do not make much sense. If her jimmies were rustled in defense of white male conservatives then her #CancelColbert campaign came about a decade too late.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Gunnyboy said:

She has issues. Here's an article on her.
http://joslynstevens.com/2014/03/30/cancelcolbert-politics-offended/#.UzuG1lf4KpA
My god... lol I really wish I had read this first before anything else. What a poor girl, she really needs help...

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
SeeDarkly_Xero said:
From the Colbert Report website:
"Tonight: Twitter Co-Founder Biz Stone stops by, and Stephen gets free technical help"
Perfect! Pretty sure all this is going to do is skyrocket his ratings.

OH and this is an interesting quote from the article MovieBob linked to about Park:
"Suey is not Park?s real first name. It's an online pseudonym playing off the name of the Chinese dish."
Describing herself as particularly tortured by a lifetime of such jokes... yet she makes herself into one?
Odd choice given her complaint... though I could see the name as "satire" on her part, if I believed she understood its use.
o_O

In most regards, I'm sure she is well-intentioned. But she is also more than a bit ignorant on the specific matter at hand and clearly out of her depth in terms of responding intelligently to the debate.
Ok... I take back the part where I'm sure she's well-intentioned. I'm really not that sure of that at all now. I'm ok with being wrong.

Just to see if she responded to Colbert's MORE than generous appeal to the public to not harass her over her viewpoint, I scrolled through over a days worth of her vitriol only to find that either she has no awareness of it, or blatantly dismissed it as unworthy of her notice. The fact is, if she would take responsibility for getting it wrong and recognize the truth in his message, she might be taken more seriously about hers. Hell, I imagine Colbert might even invite her on his show if she showed that kind of awareness. Instead, she appears just antagonistic enough to get herself into real trouble with this kind of thing in the future. And not even in terms of internet trolls and empty (though still completely inappropriate) threats. She doesn't seem to understand how having to freedom to say what she wants doesn't insulate her from consequence.

On the whole, Colbert nailed it.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
Suey Park has been taking digs at anyone, including progressives, for being insufficiently left wing within the framework of her particular left wing identity politics. In other words, she is a social justice warrior on the lookout to do some social justice warrioring. You're not seriously arguing that Suey is on the right are you?
I think she is racist, yes. Not just for her inbuilt hatred of "whites" but that she values her own race above the native Americans too.

Again, Suey raised her alarm over the "Ching-Chong Ding-Dong" tweet. Suey explicitly stated this as the reason for her #CancelColbert campaign so there isn't any ambiguity left open for interpretation. If you try to think through the implications of what you are saying then you will realize that your opinions do not make much sense. If her jimmies were rustled in defense of white male conservatives then her #CancelColbert campaign came about a decade too late.
She's already admitted she doesn't watch the show, and a decade ago she was 12. I don't think that she was a "justice warrior" then. Her "jimmies" were rustled only at a joke that she perceived was against her. She's not retracted her statements, she's not spoken out against the genuine issue. She's an attention seeker at best, and a hypocrite at worst.

SOCIALCONSTRUCT

Apr 16, 2011
Verlander said:
Her "jimmies" were rustled only at a joke that she perceived was against her.
I checked her twitter [https://twitter.com/suey_park] and there are a lot of tweets of solidarity with POCs and WOCs. More to the point is that neither you nor I heard of her prior to a few days ago and neither of us is going to invest the time for a thorough reading of her twitter history (herstory?).

Verlander said:
She's already admitted she doesn't watch the show, and a decade ago she was 12. I don't think that she was a "justice warrior" then.
Well, at any point within the last 10 years that overlaps with her adulthood and the availability of social media. Sheesh, so literal.

Verlander said:
She's an attention seeker at best, and a hypocrite at worst.
Sure absolutely. But those really aren't points for or against placing her anywhere on the political spectrum.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
SOCIALCONSTRUCT said:
I'd not heard of her, partly because my friends wouldn't bother with such nonsense, and partly because she's a "Twitter activist" and I don't have Twitter.

However, she IS easy to research, and her views were documented before this cancelcolbert thing even happened:

http://joslynstevens.com/?p=306&preview=true

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
unacomn said:
As someone from eastern Europe that watches Colbert on occasion, I got the joke. How a scandal like this started, in the country of origin of the show, where I'm guessing it has more cultural reach than on the other side of the world, is beyond me.
It's because too many people here feel like they have to be politically correct, don't do research on things before posting a tweet, etc. There are plenty of intelligent and thoughtful people as well, but the ones who get heard are the ones who freak out the loudest about something.