The Complete Bastard's Guide To Journalism

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
You know, this means someone at Gawker either smokes crack themselves or is very deep in the crack smoking/dealing community themselves. How else did they find out that crack dealers had this video? Very classy, them and and people who've given them 74 grand so far.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DanielG said:
RJ 17 said:
OT: Seriously...they're publically announcing they intend to give crack dealers 200K...annnnnnnnd there's absolutely no legal problems with this? I know weed isn't looked on as harshly in Canada as it is in the US, but crack? And if the mayor actually does know these people...can't he have them arrested? Because...you know...they're frickin' crack dealers...
Ah, but they aren't giving them money for crack, the money is to purchase a video. There's nothing illegal about that. If they were giving them the money for crack... they could probably run for mayor.
I'd imagine they could be roped in as accomplices for essentially funding the start-up of a crack-ring in some other city, as that's what these dealers say they intend to use the money for. But then again I don't really care enough about this to delve in much further, so I don't particularly care even if I'm wrong.

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Not only is someone engaging in chequebook journalism, they're publicly asking for the money to do so.

What?

It's to pay for evidence of an actual, (presumably) criminal act that's in the public interest.

What?

It's to pay dealers of a particularly addictive drug.

What?

No one lacks integrity to this level. This is just a particularly cynical part of my subconscious messing with a lucid dream.

Wait, I'm awake? Stop the world! I wanna get off! I can't make myself bitter and cynical enough to cope with it any more.

AlwaysPractical

Oct 7, 2011
The degenerates line genuinely made me crack up for a good 5 minutes. I seem to be easily amused.

OT: the kind of stuff I read this strip for, loving it

nexus

May 30, 2012
The Gawker empire sucks so much, I honestly can't believe it exists the way it does.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Wait, wait, wait, is this strip a condemnation of Gawker for writing about the mayor of Toronto, the mayor himself, both? I heard about the mayor being busted for crack from the Daily Show, where their Canadian correspondents just went to town with that story.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Gennadios said:
You guys are missing the grand karmic point of this whole thing.

The teenage crack dealers will likely end up losing the money in a matter of months, whether to drug busts, misspent bling, or cars. They really won't be gaining all that much in the long run.

The alleged government official on the other hand is a potential pompous hypocrite who built his life through shrewd understanding and manipulation of his finances and social savvy. This man will suffer from such a leak. It'll be like shining a light on a cockroach.

Now, I personally wouldn't dedicate my own money to such a cause, but I applaud anyone willing to.
Wait, we're talking about Rob Ford here, aren't we?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
That really reminded me of the pilot of Siento Onii San.
Jesus: To show your appreciation we brought you a goat.
Landlord: Um... We don't allow pets.
Jesus (heard from behind a door): Saint Peter, what should we do? She doesn't want the goat.

OT:
Yeah Mayor Crack Smoke (I thought I had a better name for him).
I mean, having pictures of the video and testimony and everything for an article is one thing, but giving a ton of money to crack dealers is a really bad idea.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Silly Daystar. You can't kill a cheeseburger.
Well, I think if you can kill underpants [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/6435-Normal-Activity], you can sacrifice a cheeseburger.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Tono Makt said:
Gennadios said:

The teenage crack dealers will likely end up losing the money in a matter of months, whether to drug busts, misspent bling, or cars. They really won't be gaining all that much in the long run.

The alleged government official on the other hand is a potential pompous hypocrite who built his life through shrewd understanding and manipulation of his finances and social savvy. This man will suffer from such a leak. It'll be like shining a light on a cockroach.

Now, I personally wouldn't dedicate my own money to such a cause, but I applaud anyone willing to.
Wait, we're talking about Rob Ford here, aren't we?
Ok, I know how the above statement sounds, but Toronto did vote the guy in as mayor. There must be something there.

TomWest

Sep 16, 2007
Izanagi009 said:
Kickstarter is not meant to fund gossip sites and give money to dealers, it's to fund projects that would not see the light of day under normal circumstances
Or in this case, the "dark of night".

TomWest

Sep 16, 2007
Gennadios said:
Ok, I know how the above statement sounds, but Toronto did vote the guy in as mayor. There must be something there.
Well, he's proof that when people decide to vote someone in based on their being an exemplar for all their most negative feelings ("they're all crooks and cheats", "everybody is trying to rip me off", "there's not a single honest person out there (except me)", "why should I help anyone? nobody helps me", "everybody is out to get me"), you get exactly the sort of outcome you would expect.

But yeah, he certainly embodies exactly what a large number of voters were feeling.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I'm a little surprised that this made it's way here frankly.

Rob Ford, Mayor of Toronto is a petty small minded excuse for a miserable human being. Having said that, the news outlets that have talked about this supposed video and expect the public to believe them sight unseen are far worse right now. This is the worst kind of smut journalism I have yet seen. And I have seen a lot of bad journalism. As I posted on yahoo it like if I had seen a video of someone murdering someone else. I report the murder and the murderer and am asked well where is the video? I don't have it and I don't know. But I saw it, there is no body but i saw it so do something.

Apparently the source of the video, if it even existed in the first place have disappeared.

I expect massive conspiracy theories from both sides of this debacle and Ford will still be in the mayor's seat after it's over.

The Star and Gawker both should be ashamed of themselves for reporting this without the evidence to back it up.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Wow...what the F**k...I'm sorry...but after reading what the kickstarter is doing (literally funding crack dealers), I must say that those people are F**KING STUPID! for funding that kickstarter and the other idiots who started it in the first place.

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
Gennadios said:

Now I admit i don't know mister Ford or have followed his mayor-ship, but it seems to me that unless his last name rhymes with 'Mitler' then funding crack dealers, who will most likely use the money to deal more crack, seems an extreme move. Especially since most cockroaches just find a way to scurry away when the light hits them.

And even if the man is such a massive asshole that the crack dealers are the lesser of two evils and the video is so damning that it will definitely bring him to justice then one must wonder here why doesn't Gawker just pay for the video themselves?

I'm pretty sure the dealers can be negotiated down if they down have 200G's and surely the anonymity of the source would make the video all the more damning, plus they would avoid the public backlash from funding crack dealers. But no, Gawker apparently thinks the video isn't worth their own money but they'll gladly risk your's on the off chance that this is legit.

Kickstarter needs to put in some standards for their project. just some simple things really would greatly improve this sorry world. No fortune five hundred companies, nothing that's already subsidized by the government and no funding for crack dealers. Next thing you know the Mafia is gonna ask the internet to fund a snitch hunt.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kapol said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, I think if you can kill underpants [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/loadingreadyrun/6435-Normal-Activity], you can sacrifice a cheeseburger.
Underwear has a soul, cheeseburgers don't.

I read it on Wikipedia.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Kapol said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Underwear has a soul, cheeseburgers don't.

I read it on Wikipedia.
Then it must be true.

OT: Sometimes I forget that there are such strange tabloids out there in the world. The only ones I ever remember actually exist are The Daily Mail and Kotaku, because they're always brought up around here. >.>