The Creator of DOOM/Quake announced a new FPS, Blackroom

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/25/11491360/blackroom-game

John Romero and fellow id Software co-founder Adrian Carmack proudly announce BLACKROOM?, a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat. Use fast, skillful movement to dodge enemy attacks, circle-strafe your foes, and rule the air as you rocket jump in the single- and multiplayer modes. BLACKROOM launches with unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design - Coming Winter 2018 to PC!
Cant wait for more of it!!. it apears that john romero is about to make us his ***** again. and this is for REAL!!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*ahem*

But most importantly, will it make me John Romero's *****?

The people must know.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Zhukov said:
*ahem*

The people must know.
Romero said this is the most innovative game that we never seen before and i do agree after seen some info. only bad thing is 2018 is faar too away. game sound even more interesting than Doom and shadow warrior 2.

So far what i heard its Half life mix with Doom mix with Deus Ex!!

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Zhukov said:
*ahem*

The people must know.
Taken from the FAQ on the Kickstarter page... Yes, seriously.

Are you going to make us your ***** again?

How about we just make you all a game.
OT: Nice to see ol' John Romero trying to come back to the scene. Conceptually, the game sounds like it's got potential. But without gameplay, there's not much to comment on yet.

If you've got time, Romero is discussing the game right now on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/theromero

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
This has got to be the worst pitch I have ever seen given by someone at this professional level. Delivered in a soulless tone that's several steps worse then just providing the script he's reading from, provides examples of successful games that are almost two decades old, vague description of what the game will actually be (More effort is put into explaining the story then what you're actually going to do). And while I appreciate promises to bring back things like circle strafe combat and rocket jumps, those seem like oddly specific things to include in your pitch. It just feels essentially like John Romero is just popping in and asking us for money.

I mean, good luck to him. I hope it's good and everyone's happy. But I don't know what the hell this is.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
He's going to make us his *****? You mean he's going to release another game that absolutely no one liked? Seriously, even if you're a fan of him, why are you referring to daikatana when you're trying to show him in a positive light?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
erttheking said:
He's going to make us his *****? You mean he's going to release another game that absolutely no one liked? Seriously, even if you're a fan of him, why are you referring to daikatana when you're trying to show him in a positive light?
Its just a one bad game. romero is one of the greatest mind in gaming industry as he created level design of Doom and Quake. Plus its PC exclusive FPS not a console shooter.

I for one very pumped for this game. sadly 2018 is far away

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
B-Cell said:
erttheking said:
Its just a one bad game. romero is one of the greatest mind in gaming industry as he created level design of Doom and Quake. Plus its PC exclusive FPS not a console shooter.

I for one very pumped for this game. sadly 2018 is far away
You didn't answer the question. Why in the hell are you deliberately drawing attention to that turd when you're trying to make him look good?

Also, greatest mind in the industry? Please name a good game made by him in the last ten years.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I'm going to need to see gameplay. All I got from this is that Romero has a checklist of buzzwords stuck to the camera, is trying desperately to remind us that he once was relevant, and that he still has a lot of money, or at least enough to blow on a fancy trailer with no gameplay.

And yes, I get it. Romero did a lot for the FPS genre, but he hasn't done a whole lot in the last...long time. And with every developer of FPS games (barring a few AAA ones) trying desperately to cash-in on a trend back to classic FPS games, you desperately need to do more than just repeat buzzwords at a camera to make the game itself, not just the name attached to it, stand out.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
The video and premise are cheesy as hell but wow I'm already more interested in this than Doom 4.

Though like with System Shock 3, there's not much to go on yet. But it'd be nice to have a genuine Painkiller-style game at a time when publishers feel the need to dumb things down for post-Halo console audiences.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The video pitch seems kinda amateurish. Like somebody got sacked so they went running to Patreon for moneys.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Zhukov said:
*ahem*

The people must know.
For Romero's sake, it won't be another Daikatana. Otherwise, his career will be dead beyond doom.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
CoCage said:
Zhukov said:
*ahem*

The people must know.
For Romero's sake, it won't be another Daikatana. Otherwise, his career will be dead beyond doom.
You say that, but I thought his career was already dead. I was under the impression he was parked in some dark corner of a game studio somewhere, so they could occasionally trot out his name at press conferences.

I guess I'm the fool, though.

Also (To anyone in general out there), is this one of those games that's going to be made anyway, and Kickstarter is just going to help it be better, or is it entirely dependent on Kickstarter? Because 700k seems pretty light for the later, if this game really is supposed to be the glorious return of the old school style shooting experience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
AccursedTheory said:
CoCage said:
Zhukov said:
*ahem*

The people must know.
You say that, but I thought his career was already dead. I was under the impression he was parked in some dark corner of a game studio somewhere, so they could occasionally trot out his name at press conferences.

Also (To anyone in general out there), is this one of those games that's going to be made anyway, and Kickstarter is just going to help it be better, or is it entirely dependent on Kickstarter? Because 700k seems pretty light for the later, if this game really is supposed to be the glorious return of the old school style shooting experience.
More so as: This is his second chance, and if he screws that up, then no one, not even random yahoos from Kickstarter will back him. I am aware of the history of his one-hit wonder career (and Rage), but I not even close to trusting the guy. We already had the glorious return of the old school FPS with the Serious Sam series, Painkiller, Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior (2013), and Wolfenstein: TNO. So Romero's statement I already find highly dubious and egotistical.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, Romero took the holodeck malfunction plot from Star Trek and decided to make an entire game based around it. And that might be fine if the gameplay made up for it except...there is no gameplay. Seriously, all they show us is concept art. Total Biscuit went into depth on this way back, but basically, if a Kickstarter game doesn't have something to show by the time of the pitch itself, it's usually reason for caution. I can't help but be reminded of the absolutely laughable pitches for the Wheel of Time game and Brascot 5.

Other points:

-Why does an engineer go to fix the Blackroom armed with a gun? Yes, it's an FPS game, but that poor sucker doesn't know that.

-Doesn't this sound like Daikatana? The room is said to have a variety of environments, from sci-fis to westerns? Didn't Daikatana have time travel elements? Granted, if it's anything like TimeSplitters I'd be interested, but...

-According to Romero, it "will prove that gamers want a return to classic, hardcore FPS." Um, okay. I'm not really one to piss in thos gamers' pie, but this isn't the first game that's selling itself on belonging to "ye olde school." Toxik, Strafe, Shadow Warrior, Hard Reset, Doom...there's a market for those games, however small. I don't think Romero necessarily has to prove that's the case.

So, in conclusion, "meh."

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
So the game has just been announced and you're already on the hype train? Do you think you might want to find out where the train is going first? Unless you've neglected to link it, there isn't any gameplay yet, just a bunch of buzzwords from a guy who's only marketable games are two decades old now. Seriously, the guy did a lot of good in the past, but he hasn't really done much of note since Quake, which should be evident by the way he constantly markets himself as "that guy who worked on Doom and Quake" as opposed to "that guy who worked on Wikipedia page (I love the fact that there's a section of that page devoted to his hair), most of the games he's worked on in the last decade are of such little note that they don't even have their own wiki page.

Not bashing the guy or anything; I mean him no ill will and rather hope he does manage to make a comeback with a good retro-FPS, but he's going to have to do more than remind us about Doom and Quake then list off a glossary of retro-FPS terms. Ask yourself this, if he loves the FPS genre so much, and he's so talented at making them, then why can so few people name even a single other game he's made after Quake (except Daikatana of course, but that's remembered for all the wrong reasons)? Shouldn't he have been spending those years making other great games?

AccursedTheory said:
CoCage said:
Zhukov said:
*ahem*

The people must know.

If the goal is only $700,000, then yes, it's probably safe to say it's another of those faux kickstarters that are more like an interactive ad where you get to throw your own money at it an feel like you're helping.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
AccursedTheory said:

He was actually teaching game design for UCSC [http://news.ucsc.edu/2013/09/gpm-directors.html] back in 2013, but looking at the currently list of faculty [https://gpm.soe.ucsc.edu/faculty/] and advisers, he and his wife are no longer listed.

So I guess hes back to working on shooters in the field.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Ezekiel said:
Don't care. First-person shooters are so played out. I wouldn't care if we never got another one. Edit: I forgot about HL3. After HL3 releases, the genre can stay dormant.
third person action games with cover system are more played out.