The Critical Miss Guide to GPUS

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
shintakie10 said:
I was under the impression the benchmarks had it at around the performance of 2 980s. Was that just exaggerated bullshit or am I missin somethin?
Yeah the Titan X is benchmarking at about the same as 2 x 980s or a R9 295x2. The main difference is that the Titan X is on a single GPU chip while the Sli 980s are R9 295x2 both have two which causes problems thanks to bad SLI/Crossfire support in a lot of games.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
TopazFusion said:
LOL!

And on this day we discover that Erin has man parts. Very very big man parts.

EDIT: Okay, I have to post these tweets, because they're just too funny.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/578715920333299712]
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/578898301874937856]
[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/578898375480774656]
This was so much more entertaining than the actual strip, and that was funny enough :p

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I don't know why you'd want Titans, even with their memory bus (the old GTX 200 series had wide buses to make up for the fact they had DDR3 memory if I recall).

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Zipa said:
shintakie10 said:
I was under the impression the benchmarks had it at around the performance of 2 980s. Was that just exaggerated bullshit or am I missin somethin?
Yeah the Titan X is benchmarking at about the same as 2 x 980s or a R9 295x2. The main difference is that the Titan X is on a single GPU chip while the Sli 980s are R9 295x2 both have two which causes problems thanks to bad SLI/Crossfire support in a lot of games.
In that case, not sure why it would be considered to be underwhelming. Its got far more VRAM than the 295x2, wont have the problems that SLI and Crossfire generally have, runs far cooler than the R9 295x2, stays cool off a simple fan (seriously, a regular fan...how the hell is that possible?) and has ridiculously low power consumption for being so beefy.

The downside, holy crap is that expensive. No doubt I'd buy one if I had a spare grand lying around, sadly that's about a 6 weeks pay. Heh.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I always suspected erin was a dual wielding monster cock futa all along. She's impressively skilled at hiding the fact!

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Ha ha ha! So bad.

So Erin is a futanari. It's great how the things are censored just like if they were actually drawn by a Japanese person.

The last panel just confirms the joke.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
My understanding was that the Titan was a card meant for 3D rendering work, not gaming. It's just that too many PC enthusiasts think "more expensive card" = "more FPS in my games"; and nVidia's marketing department hasn't gone to any real trouble to tell them otherwise.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I have dual 980s in my new rig which I had to scrimp a lot for a couple of years to afford, and all of a sudden I feel underendowed. :)

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
As somebody who works for a small company that just bought a Titan X to do CUDA-accelerated machine learning, the Titan X is pretty damn far from disappointing.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I have a 970, so if I'm interpreting this correctly that means I just barely missed being required to take my pants off in public right? Woo!

It's the best outcome for everyone involved.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
shintakie10 said:
Zipa said:
shintakie10 said:
In that case, not sure why it would be considered to be underwhelming. Its got far more VRAM than the 295x2, wont have the problems that SLI and Crossfire generally have, runs far cooler than the R9 295x2, stays cool off a simple fan (seriously, a regular fan...how the hell is that possible?) and has ridiculously low power consumption for being so beefy.

The downside, holy crap is that expensive. No doubt I'd buy one if I had a spare grand lying around, sadly that's about a 6 weeks pay. Heh.
Honestly if you don't need to replace your GPU right now then the best bet is to wait for AMDs 390 which is out later this year or Nvidias new gen card on their new chip called Pascal which are due out next year especially if what Nvidia says is true about Pascal being ten times more powerful than a Titan X. [http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-pascal-is-10x-as-powerful-as-the-titan-x/] Plus if your current GPU is ok then you should get more mileage out of it anyway with future gaming on DX12 since it is much better at using the resources it has available to it than 11.

The other factors worth considering are that the upcoming cards will be fully DX12 enabled which the current gen ones aren't, that and them being more powerful means you will get better results with 1440p or 4k gaming. The costs are also to be more in line with what you would expect for a high end GPU rather than twice the amount as is the case with the Titan X.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
My understanding was that the Titan was a card meant for 3D rendering work, not gaming. It's just that too many PC enthusiasts think "more expensive card" = "more FPS in my games"; and nVidia's marketing department hasn't gone to any real trouble to tell them otherwise.
Actually most PC enthusiast know that it's not a 'gaming' GPU. But like the strip suggests it's the ultimate E-peen card and if you can afford to get it then you might as well show it off... :p

And it's a bit of a last Hurrah for the chip as HBM and GDDR6 will roll in for the next generation and the GPU's will go down to <14nm.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Is it just me or does Erin have two of dem monster dicks? I might be seeing wrong after studying all day.

EDIT: Oh, I get it now. 2x in SLI. 2 dicks. Quad SLI, tentacle. I've read enough doujin to know what the next panel would be.
They would hold hands.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
TopazFusion said:
LOL!

EDIT: Okay, I have to post these tweets, because they're just too funny.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/578898301874937856]
I instantly had the mental image of him striking a mad science pose yelling "bigger... bigger!... BIGGER!" in vincent price's voice.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Grey's twitter pics from earler make so much sense now // Also, I want to see the chat logs between him & Cory on this one

-M

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
EXos said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Actually most PC enthusiast know that it's not a 'gaming' GPU. But like the strip suggests it's the ultimate E-peen card and if you can afford to get it then you might as well show it off... :p

And it's a bit of a last Hurrah for the chip as HBM and GDDR6 will roll in for the next generation and the GPU's will go down to <14nm.
I am currently on the fence over getting another Titan. Like The Rogue Wolf said, these things are beast for GPU rendering. Two Titan Blacks could do what took a [email protected] 100 hundred seconds in only 12 seconds. Considering that there is also a 6 second software overhead for initiating a GPU render... I wonder if we will see the 14NM fabrication process at the end of this year or early next year, in which case I might hold off the new Titan but may have to wait more than a year from now since I would assume the consumer level cards will probably hover around the 4GB memory range though I may be pleasantly surprised.