The Critical Miss Guide to GPUS

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Mmm. tentac... Ehehe I mean quad sli... ~blushes~

nyeh. I prefer ati... But then I also stick to things with a decent price/performance ratio.

Besides if I really wanted to show off pointless expensive tech, I'd sooner build a beowulf cluster... XD

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
PunkRex said:
... and yet I'm still attracted to Erin.
welp... No time like the present to post what I found on the internet.

I do approve of the sizes though. However you seem to be missing out on the giant, burning hot behemoth that Radeon cards tend to become... shortly before melting and collapsing under their own mass into singularities... hmm...

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
The people who were strangely attracted to Erin are now either going to be turned off, or even more strangely attracted to her.
Either way, Corey and Grey were brave to publish this.

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
Meanwhile I got a brand new 960 and am sad that i am mediocre.
Skeleon said:
I see you decided to get ahead of Rule 34 and just release the stuff uncensored yourselves. Very thoughtful. In a manner of speaking.
You got me curious. Anyone got a link? Unfortunately I cannot find it.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Solo-Wing said:
Meanwhile I got a brand new 960 and am sad that i am mediocre.
Skeleon said:
I see you decided to get ahead of Rule 34 and just release the stuff uncensored yourselves. Very thoughtful. In a manner of speaking.
You got me curious. Anyone got a link? Unfortunately I cannot find it.
I'm not sure whether this is in line with the terms of service/code of conduct or not. I mean, it is from the content creators, but it wasn't posted on The Escapist intentionally. I guess I could help you out indirectly by linking you to the tweet in question, which itself has the link to the NSFW-picture, rather than linking to the picture itself. Hm. Tell you what, if you somehow manage to fix this totally broken URL, perhaps you will get to see it. I certainly can't figure out how to unscramble it, though.

https://reallynottwitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/578714988962979840

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
vallorn said:
PunkRex said:
... and yet I'm still attracted to Erin.
welp... No time like the present to post what I found on the internet.

I do approve of the sizes though. However you seem to be missing out on the giant, burning hot behemoth that Radeon cards tend to become... shortly before melting and collapsing under their own mass into singularities... hmm...
That's a new one. Her neck is a hella' long though.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Maxtro said:
Ha ha ha! So bad.

So Erin is a futanari. It's great how the things are censored just like if they were actually drawn by a Japanese person.

The last panel just confirms the joke.
Why did I choose to google that word... Why!? I should have known I wouldn't like it. Oh well, I now know what a word means now.

EXos

Nov 24, 2009
Saulkar said:
EXos said:
I am currently on the fence over getting another Titan. Like The Rogue Wolf said, these things are beast for GPU rendering. Two Titan Blacks could do what took a [email protected] 100 hundred seconds in only 12 seconds. Considering that there is also a 6 second software overhead for initiating a GPU render... I wonder if we will see the 14NM fabrication process at the end of this year or early next year, in which case I might hold off the new Titan but may have to wait more than a year from now since I would assume the consumer level cards will probably hover around the 4GB memory range though I may be pleasantly surprised.
Well the new CPU lines (Both AMD/INTEL) are slated for the beginning of next year. That and the 390x that has been teased will at least take the step to HBM. So I would presume that the new GPU from Nvidea at least will follow soon.
As for the 4gb, you'll have to readjust your view soon as both GDDR6 and HBM are already tested with double the bandwidth of GDDR5.

Personally I would wait until DDR4, HBM and GDDR6 become the standard. (Hopefully next year. :p) But if you use it professionally get that extra TiTan as it will take a bit bite out of rendering time.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
12GB of RAM on a video card is ridiculous. I'm too lazy to do the math but with PCIx16 speeds your not going to use anywhere near that much RAM with any conventional game.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I actually stood up and clapped at this comic. Fun stuff. Funnier still the convo quotes.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
EXos said:
Saulkar said:
EXos said:
snpper
As for the 4gb, you'll have to readjust your view soon as both GDDR6 and HBM are already tested with double the bandwidth of GDDR5.
I am not quite sure what you mean here. Are you implying that the RAM will be so fast that larger VRAM banks will not be necessary due to faster streaming of data on and off the card, in which case this will not work for me as no GPU rendering software I know of is capable of streaming data on and off a card while rendering (besides the render output itself)? If you run out of VRAM while rendering then it just crashes, it is a limitation of the GPU architecture. Or are you implying that the VRAM banks of the next generation are going to be so large that I need not worry about the next Titan 6 months after the consumer level cards are released?

EXos said:
But if you use it professionally get that extra TiTan as it will take a bit bite out of rendering time.
I do and even one Titan is much faster than my processor but it is surprising how quickly you use up those 6GB of memory and hope that there is not that one frame that goes over. Having double that capacity would be killer as I could still go back and render those trouble frames faster than my CPU.