The Danish Girl - Transgender Issues in the 1920s

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
Not necessarily but context does matter. They've got a man playing a woman. When do men play as women in movies? Either when its a cheap visual gag "oh ha ha its really a guy in a dress" performance or when its a trans woman. Those are basically the only instances that it ever happens. If things were different and women were commonly cast to play men and men were commonly cast to play women I'd probably feel differently but thats not the world we inhabit so I don't.
So it shouldn't be attempted to break that mold at all just because previous performances have been played for laughs? If anything, Eddie Redmayne taking this role is going against the status quo because it's not some big joke. This could be a role that brings real positive change for public perception of transgendered people but instead you're dismissing it saying, 'oh it's been done as a joke in the past, therefore it can't possibly be anything but.'

You're right, and while we're at it why should we stick solely to humans when casting characters. Lets start casting chimpanzees to play characters. It'll only be limited to characters who are black but of course thats just a coincidence and nothing more,right? Sorry John Boyega, Bobo is going to be playing Finn in the sequel nows.

Lets not stop there. We should take this "creative freedom" to voice-acting too, since you brought that up. Next time there's a human character in a game we should bring a chimpanzee into a sound studio and just have it make a bunch of noises. Oh whats that, they did that before? [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_Cleansing_(video_game)] Damn, what a fine piece of totally-not-bigoted creative expression that is. Anybody who dares call that racist should be ashamed of themselves.
This is the most extreme hyperbole and (I certainly hope intentionally) a gross misunderstanding on your part. You keep bringing up chimpanzees in relation to black people and use an example from a white supremacist group's game as if that somehow relates in any way to this discussion. I'm not going to dignify your response with further interaction, so I leave you to your racist fixations and hope you have a wonderful day.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Areloch said:
However, if the character is biologically male, as mentioned in the article, for at least part of the movie, how is it less authentic to get a male actor to play a male character during those segments?
Because we don't cast based on whether somebody is "biologically male" or "biologically female". We cast based on their gender identity. A man plays a man and a woman plays a woman. Even if there were definitions of "biological male" and "biological female" that were consistent with how Hollywood castings actors and actresses (there aren't any) they wouldn't apply to Lili anyways since she's intersex. Additionally, Lili isn't a male character. She's a woman. She was "assigned male at at birth", or "AMAB", but she was a woman. Thats kind of the whole thing about trans people in the first place, they don't identify as the gender they were erroneously thought to be at birth.
I'd thought sex and gender were considered separate and distinct now?

Male, as in the major biological markers that make up the male sex. Testosterone, the physical changes that come from testosterone with puberty, generally larger physical frame, thinner hip ratio, pronounced adams apple and deeper voice, penis, etc. Are all pretty standard, notable components that make up the male sex. Obviously not exclusive to, but very generally accepted as the components that come together to make the male sex. Which is - as far as my understand was - distinct to the components that ostensibly make up the 'woman' gender identity.

So yes, as far as I can understand, you CAN be male but a woman, because sex is not the gender. You even point out that she was "assigned male at birth"(though that seems to be a bizarre statement from a biological standpoint given that she WOULD be male until a point advanced mental development starts to curb their person towards being a woman, ie gender dysphoria), so she was still definitively male for at least part of her life, yes?

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Areloch said:
Male, as in the major biological markers that make up the male sex. Testosterone, the physical changes that come from testosterone with puberty, generally larger physical frame, thinner hip ratio, pronounced adams apple and deeper voice, penis, etc. Are all pretty standard, notable components that make up the male sex. Obviously not exclusive to, but very generally accepted as the components that come together to make the male sex. Which is - as far as my understand was - distinct to the components that ostensibly make up the 'woman' gender identity.
So does Hollywood have people's testosterone levels tested before they considered them for a role? Did they call Meryl Streep saying "Yes, hello Miss Streep, we were considering you to play John F. Kennedy but then we got the test results back and found that your testosterone levels are way too low for the role. If you can raise your testosterone levels to a certain point we'll hire you for the role but otherwise we'll have to consider other options. Scarlett Johansson's levels were rather high enough that she'll fill in for the role if you decline to pursue building your testosterone levels." No, they didn't do that? They don't do that for any roles/ Then its not a consistent treatment of all actors and actresses. Its a double standard.
Ok, level with me here. Are you actually wanting a conversation, or are you just going to launch into pointlessly extreme hyperbole any time any conversation gets going?

Just let me know if we should actually bother continuing or not.

So yes, as far as I can understand, you CAN be male but a woman, because sex is not the gender. You even point out that she was "assigned male at birth"(though that seems to be a bizarre statement from a biological standpoint given that she WOULD be male until a point advanced mental development starts to curb their person towards being a woman, ie gender dysphoria), so she was still definitively male for at least part of her life, yes?
That is absolutely not how it works. I'm not even going to get into it because I don't have time to explain Trans 101 every time the subject matter comes up. Hell, it already should be obvious without such teaching that such logic is faulty.
Alright then, I guess we're done here.

Sorry for being such a disgusting failure that I don't comprehend one of the single most nuanced and complicated issues in human history.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Areloch said:
Ok, level with me here. Are you actually wanting a conversation, or are you just going to launch into pointlessly extreme hyperbole any time any conversation gets going?

Just let me know if we should actually bother continuing or not.
Well if you're unable to provide a definition of "biological male" that is wholly consistent with Hollywood casting practices then perhaps you should drop the point and admit that there's a double-standard depending on the characters that are going to be portrayed?
Ok, are you talking *exclusively* what would consititute a biological male in context of at-glance visible descriptors which would be the important aspect of casting for a movie?

Ok then, that's different. I thought you were handwaving the very concept of there being a thing as biological male, so hopefully you'll understand what the was a tad mindboggling.

I would say that in general terms, however, yes, there are still definitely physical traits that at-a-glance typify the males of the human species, such as the aforementioned larger builds, more readily defined muscles, broader torso and slimmer hips, adams apple, taller, etc.

Obviously you'll get females with varying samples of the above traits, but generally speaking, there are traits that are definitely particular to the male or female sex that are fairly visually distinct when it comes to humans.

That said, this entire thing seems to have come from "it's insulting for a biologically male actor to portray a biologically male character who happens to have the gender identity of a woman.

In this, why is it an insult to have their biological sex match in context of the framework of the movie? Why is it less insulting for the actor to be the opposite biological sex, even if as pointed out makeup would be applied along with propwork to make it impossible tell in the end.

That's where the entire confusion about the selectiveness of the actor's sex comes into play here. If the end result would ultimately look the same, why is it such an offront for the actor to be male, especially if it accurately aligns with the character per the story for at least part of it.

Sorry for being such a disgusting failure that I don't comprehend one of the single most nuanced and complicated issues in human history.
It was already stated earlier in this very thread (and its only a two-page thread) and at the top of this page no less. Multiple times. It was even bolded with red text:

"So please understand the following:
A trans woman, regardless of weather or not they've transitioned is NEVER EVER a MAN, period, end of story."

That said, if you don't understand Trans 101 you probably shouldn't comment on trans issues to begin with. You posted in what appeared to be bad faith, I answered your questions, you rebutted, I pointed out the flaw in your overarching logic as well as making an observation that you don't understand trans issues enough to jump immediately into this one and now you're getting upset that I'm telling you you're wrong. If you want to participate in the conversation there's plenty of good resources about trans folk out there but I'm not going to stop and do a Trans 101 lecture to every single person who pops into a thread about trans issues and bring the conversation to a grinding halt. Frankly, this applies not just topics about trans issues but topics about really anything everything. I'll just let this comic strip explain my position if my words have done a poor job of doing it so far:

and this oneis about the general frustration of this sort of thing happening all the time:

Okay, real fast for me:

Is MALE the exact same thing as A MAN and is FEMALE the exact same thing as A WOMAN to you?

Because you keep falling back on talking about 'man' and 'woman' which would be, as far as I'm understanding, gender, while I'm talking 'male' and 'female', which would be the physiological sex as per aforementioned standard biological markers.

Because it's fine to say that a transgendered woman was never born a man, but it strikes me as an entirely different thing to say that she was never born MALE. What with the whole having a penis thing, and if left to go through puberty would develop along the standard male sex development path due to genetics and how the human body works.

So I just want to know if we're even actually talking about the same particular sub-subject or not because that would probably clear up a lot.

Also,
That said, if you don't understand Trans 101 you probably shouldn't comment on trans issues to begin with. You posted in what appeared to be bad faith, I answered your questions, you rebutted, I pointed out the flaw in your overarching logic as well as making an observation that you don't understand trans issues enough to jump immediately into this one and now you're getting upset that I'm telling you you're wrong.
I would say I'm more annoyed that it's less "you're wrong" and more I'm having a hard time keeping up with the flow your logic is taking because you keep using different terms than me(vis a vis the male vs man sex/gender thing I keep trying to get clarified) and then you basically go "Well just go google it".

I mean, sure, that's alright to say, and you're not wrong persay, but going "Don't talk about it unless you've done X amount of prerequesite research" on the single most nebulous, vague and ever-shifting topic I've ever encountered is a poor way to get someone invested in the subject so they even care enough to do the research.

I get it, it's frustrating to restate stuff over and over again, everyone's had to put up with it, but shooting off into absurd hyperbole and the like is an incredible way to sour people on a subject when everyone else was having a pretty on-point discussion on the subject.

But hey, I'm obviously in the wrong for not knowing enough, so I guess I'll just bow out here. Have a good afternoon.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
the silence said:
Yeah, it's the same as having non-disabled actors play disabled people, which in part, went as far as damaging the public perception of people.
I didn't really think about it when reading the article, but it is kinda shitty.
Yeah, damn James McAvoy and Patrick Stewart, acting in disabledface to mock actual paraplegics. They only way they could have portrayed Professor Xavier in a respectful way would be to have McAvoy do his filming, and then *actually* paralyse him from the waist down for the later scenes. There are plenty of deep emotions and experiences that can be acted, physical disability is not one of them.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
The only insight I've picked up from my short time skimming this thread is that Eddie Redmayne is a chimpanzee??

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Batou667 said:
the silence said:
Yeah, it's the same as having non-disabled actors play disabled people, which in part, went as far as damaging the public perception of people.
I didn't really think about it when reading the article, but it is kinda shitty.
Yeah, damn James McAvoy and Patrick Stewart, acting in disabledface to mock actual paraplegics. They only way they could have portrayed Professor Xavier in a respectful way would be to have McAvoy do his filming, and then *actually* paralyse him from the waist down for the later scenes. There are plenty of deep emotions and experiences that can be acted, physical disability is not one of them.
Don't forget My Left Foot.

What an evil evil film.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wow...I don't think I've ever seen one of Marter's movie reviews get a comment section this big.

Of course, considering the nature of this film, I was fairly certain that it would attract this kind of response.

Oh internet, you're so hilariously predictable. :3

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Batou667 said:
the silence said:
Way to conflate being trans with disability, something most people don't understand on basic concept, compared something that most people do tend understand to an extent. Way to conflate a psychological situation that's nearly impossible even explain, with a physical situation that tends to be very easy to explain.

Then we have the big super huge issue. Disabled people are not portrayed as a punchline to a joke in film as the rule rather than the exception, trans people are. There is a long history of very positive portrayals of disabled people, as in them not being used as a freaking punch line in a really stupid and offensive joke disguised as a movie. The only time disability is portrayed in anyway negatively is when the character in question is faking the disability. On the other hand transgenderism is almost always portrayed in a intentionally negative fashion, used as a joke, implying trans folk are to be mocked, or so poorly done using cis male actors we'd have been better off with out the portrayal to the start.

The comparison of disabled to trans portrayals in film is a dishonest one, it also misses the entire point of what I said. Also there's an old saying that some this up: "You're comparing apples to oranges."

On a final note, movies like The Danish Girl and Boys Don't Cry are put in the same category as movies like Mrs. Doubtfire and White Chicks, because the latter two are such wonderful and accurate portrayals of trans folk.

visiblenoise said:
The only insight I've picked up from my short time skimming this thread is that Eddie Redmayne is a chimpanzee??
I wish that were true, because if it was he'd be a much better actor.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mortis Nuncius said:
So it's about semantics? While yes, it wasn't expressly stated verbatim that "trans characters absolutely always must be portrayed by a trans actor, no exceptions" you can't say that wasn't the notion that was being put forward. Otherwise, what is there to get all up in arms about?
Well, among other things, that the characters almost NEVER are, which is part of what Mars explicitly, literally, factually said?

By saying it's not absolutely necessary to have a trans actress cast as a trans woman is already opening up to the idea that a trans character can be portrayed by a cisgendered person. Then it only becomes a matter of whether or not cross-gender acting is appropriate. And if you think it isn't, then I know plenty of theater actors/actresses you can take that up with.
When you can list another instance of playing cross gender in a minority, do get back to me. But unless you're trying to argue someone else's point with me, I don't see why you switched to "you."

NOTE: It's gonna seem like I'm glossing over a large portion here, and to be frank I sort of am. This discussion is going into places I'd rather not go into largely because it's diverging from the original discussion here and, because I consider myself to be a sympathetic person, there's not really any way I can effectively nod and 'mhm' through the screen.
Most of this came up because you seemed very much reductive towards the topic at hand. Skimming over it doesn't really have a positive effect.

But I think the real problem is summed up here as well:

I consider myself to be a sympathetic person
What you consider yourself isn't usually very helpful. Few people think of themselves as the bad guy. Even rapists and murderers often feel justified in their actions. You might consider yourself sympathetic, but you're basically arguing with the remaining active population of trans Escapists. Oh, and my SO, also trans, is actually kind of pissed off. We don't agree on everything, but you certainly come up as a common point of contention. FFS, I largely stay out of these discussions because of the associated stress.

At this point, I would suggest reflection. Why do we not see you as an awesome and sympathetic person? I mean, it could be that all of us are crazy or something, and one person has already gone so far as to say that we've validated their prejudices against trans people. But perhaps, just a mild chance, maybe you are doing something that's not helpful? Or something that repeatedly comes off as condescending? Maybe there is some element of your behaviour that does not match up with your self-perception?

This comes off as telling people what an awesome ally you are. And odds are, if you have to say, you're doing something to indicate otherwise.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you should listen and learn.

But I will state again, I will make no claim to know those hardships through experience. Though I admit to having struggles with my own sexuality (something I'd rather not discuss beyond that) I still can't say I understand what it means to go through what someone transitioning goes through to the fullest extent, I understand what it means to face ridicule and social stigma.
This still comes off as amazingly tone deaf.

I hope to draw a line here and hopefully prevent this from being a personal discussion as it isn't the place for it.
Which comes off as dismissing personal experience, which is kind of an important element here.

Do keep in mind, you were the one to pull the "I know trans people" thing, which makes this personal. It's an attempt at ethos establishment. I decided to tell you exactly where I'm coming from, especially since you tried to play the "progressive" card. Living in a progressive state and hearing that leaves me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I find it interesting that you draw correlation between race and gender, only to suggest that criticism for the portrayal of that character not being 'true' (in regards to race/gender) as invalid.
I find it disingenuous that you would conflate comparing the reactions to comparing the things itself.

However, I would also point out that even Stephen King has said that the character is not informed by race. The Danish Girl is a story that is inherently informed by gender identity. You made this case yourself. Dark Tower is not, to my knowledge, about being black.

Which brings me back to the "never" argument, because I'm not necessarily seeing it. We're talking specifically about trans people and trans roles in media about being trans. You have repeatedly made that distinction, too. Mars' examples have gone to that end, no less. Why do you think this is a universal rule?

But also, keep in mind that I actually did say that I do not think the trans experience is unique in the issue with outsiders understanding. One of the examples I just gave was of race. It looks like you're holding against me a position that is not mine.

The point I'm trying to get across is that his role wasn't about, "hey, everybody, it's a transgender woman!" It was about, "hey, everybody, it's a person! An actual character that just so happens to be transgender but isn't written so it's her only defining characteristic! See how she's an actual person with her own struggles and ambitions!"

And if you ask me, that's how it should be. It's part of acceptance. In order for gender to not be an issue, it has to become a non-issue.
I would agree that's how it should be. The problem is, that's now how it was in Garp, and not how i usually plays out. I refer you bacjk to the "best person for the job" argument.

Further, the idea that gender has to not matter sounds great. Unless you are actively being ignored.

Being colour blind often means blinding yourself to any systemic issues. And being "gender blind" is not what you want to be when addressing gender issues.

I've read articles, I've looked into how it was that Eddie Redmayne came into the role and I can say, with no small amount of certainty, there was nothing detailing it was 'because we needed a white cisgendered male'. Redmayne was offered the part because of his talent and good work history with some of the people working on the film. So there was something of a base, but take that as you will.
And that's great, if it's mandatory for prejudices to be openly stated. It's not. That might reassure you, but it doesn't mean anything for us. The fact that he has a good work history is an issue that comes up a lot with minorities, in that they don't get to get to that point due to never being considered in the first place.

But I will argue that, seeing many of the criticisms against Leto seemed to revolve around his appearance, it's a very shallow criticism. It's been picked apart that Leto's character looked like a man in drag. And to be fair, the character did. But the reality is (and I fully expect to take flak for this) some trans women do. That's right, I said it. Sue me. Burn me at the stake atop the altar of political correctness if that makes you feel better, but it's the truth.
Again, if you want to come off as sympathetic, it's a bad idea to say any transwoman "looks like a man," whether they pass or not. It's worse to then rail against political correctness. That does not sound like someone trying to be helpful, and to be honest, you had me to that point.

And you say you don't hold it against them, but making that point is the opposite of sympathetic.

I'm just going to sum up my feelings on this whole cisgender male portraying a transgender woman because I find this discussion mentally exhausting and think it unlikely I'll be posting in this thread further.
Must be nice to be able to disengage from the subject solely because it's exhausting. I wish I could do that.

As disappointing as this is, I'm not sure what can be gained from further discourse. You seem unwilling to actually listen to the group at hand. You're too busy insisting that you're here to help.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
Something Amyss said:
As disappointing as this is, I'm not sure what can be gained from further discourse. You seem unwilling to actually listen to the group at hand. You're too busy insisting that you're here to help.
Oh I am listening. It's just that I'm disagreeing with you on some things. And I fail to see exactly how that paints me as unsympathetic. There is a difference between being supportive and being submissive. I'm not going to agree with everything you say just because you are in a minority. You have your perception, I have mine, we have a discussion and find our common ground. That is discourse. Not you constantly berating me with my admittedly inextensive experience and expecting me to just bow my head and say, "yeah, you're right, I'm wrong, terribly sorry about that."

And I don't recall ever referring to myself as "awesome". And I fail to see how me disagreeing with you is somehow inadvertently suggesting that you're "crazy". And I'm sorry to hear that our disagreement is causing you and you SO anguish, but that is not an argument. I've been reasonable, I've tried my best to be understanding, and I've made my opinions clear. Maybe in time those will change. But those are my feelings right now. I hope to better understand the hardships of the transgender community, and hopefully I will do so with civil discussion. Not by being metaphorically beaten upside my head with a wiffle ball bat marked "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND" in Sharpie along the side.

So, for the final time, I leave you with a sincere apology for any offense, any anger caused by my difference of opinion. You have yourself a wonderful day.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Mortis Nuncius said:
So, for the final time, I leave you with a sincere apology for any offense, any anger caused by my difference of opinion. You have yourself a wonderful day.
You did nothing of the sort. You misrepresented me and talked down to me. You had to have ignored every point I made to have come to the conclusion you did. Saying you listened isn't the same as listening.

You don't get why you come off as unsympathetic, but this is exactly why. Please, stop condescending trans people on trans issues. Especially if you are even remotely sincere about discourse.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
1. It's basically the most common transphobic "argument" used to discredit trans women and invalidate our identities. A lot of people unconsciously support it not meaning any harm, but it leads to things like casting cis men as trans women and treating trans women like men. The reverse is true for trans men, when society isn't busy ignoring that they even exist.
Well, can you blame people treating trans women like men?
Trans women and cis men both are biological men.
Many of them don't even get a sex change operation.
No surgery, no hormone treatment, they just declare that they're women now and that's it.
Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't but from a filmmakers perspective, what's the difference between hiring a cis person and a trans person?

2. A trans woman would be credited with a woman's name, not a man's. Unless she was still in the closet... But that's getting into murky territory. A closeted trans woman would likely bring a ton authenticity to such a role though, so when she did come out it'd be kind of unsurprising. Although a closeted trans woman would likely avoid roles of trans women and drag queens like the plague.
OK, but you still have to look the person up.
Whether the person is or isn't transgendered doesn't show in the movie if the acting is good.

3. Dozens that I can find by a google search, seems though that most resources only talk about trans women who act, but not trans men though. Which is kind of a shame.
Dozens, as opposed to thousands upon thousands of cis actors.

Also, and this is going back to the OP:
Did you know that Richard Chamberlain, a known homosexual actor, played Casanova, one of the most famous ladies men of all time?
A gay person played a straight person's role?
This is an outrage!!!
Did you also know that Phillip Seymour Hoffman, a straight guy, played Truman Capote, an open homosexual?
And he even won an Oscar for that.
Highly problematic!!!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Vanilla ISIS said:
Well, can you blame people treating trans women like men?
Trans women and cis men both are biological men.
Many of them don't even get a sex change operation meaning that they are still biological men.
Bruce Jenner puts on a dress and declares that he's a woman now and we're just supposed to accept it and not question it.
No operation, no hormone treatment, just a dress and his word.
From a filmmakers perspective, what's the difference between hiring a cis person and a trans person?
The entire problem with the argument revolving around biology is it's forcing medicalization on trans folk. That is terribly destructive, because it totally invalidates all personal freedom of expression that breaks gender norms, which in turn further invalidates trans folk. I haven't had sexual reassignment, I'm probably never going to, I have had an orchiectomy, I'm on HRT, I present as female full time. Using my lack of a dangerous and expensive surgery that won't have any positive effects on my gender dysphoria to define me as a man? That's nothing short of intentional disrespect using a transphobic lens.

As for Caitlyn Jenner? She doesn't speak for the trans community, in fact we detest what she's been doing by spreading rampant misinformation. She also just started transition recently, it usually takes a while to get even approved for HRT, let alone reassignment surgery. So it's a moot point using someone who definitely isn't representative of the trans community, by definition of most of the rest of the trans community.

Both are moot points, when addressing how filmmakers percieve things, except that they highlight the pernicious nature of misunderstanding and ignorance that surrounds the trans community. I haven't seen any argument that supports education and understanding, just a demand to keep the status quo based on continuing to give roles as trans women to cis men. So forgive me when I say you're ignoring the underlying issues and arguing from a place of anti-trans prejudice.

Vanilla ISIS said:
OK, but you still have to look the person up.
Whether the person is or isn't transgendered doesn't show in the movie if the acting is good.
I wouldn't have to look it up, if there was a movie with a trans woman in the role of a trans woman, as someone with a ton of trans friends and who pays attention to trans interest... I'd know long before the movie came out.

The "if the acting is good" argument is a paper thin defense used to justify the bigotry and prejudice used to exclude trans acting talent from the industry.

Vanilla ISIS said:
Dozens, as opposed to thousands upon thousands of cis actors.

Also, and this is going back to the OP:
Did you know that Richard Chamberlain, a known homosexual actor, played Casanova, one of the most famous ladies men of all time?
A gay person played a straight person's role?
This is an outrage!!!
Did you also know that Phillip Seymour Hoffman, a straight guy, played Truman Capote, an open homosexual?
And he even won an Oscar for that.
Highly problematic!!!
So, the fact that trans acting talent is a minority is a valid reason to exclude them from participation? That's bullshit and we both know it.

Also sexuality is different subject from gender identity. I already stated in a prior post that most gay actors know how to act straight, because they almost always spend a portion of their lives in the closet, acting like they're straight, for their own safety. That's beside the point, any gay or straight person can portray the opposite in an acting role by being a typical example of their sex/gender, who happens to be interested in same sex relationships. That's fucking easy. Most gay portrayls however rely on stereotypes like the femme gay guy, or butch lesbian woman, even worse lesbian portrayals tend to be ultra sexualized for the sake of male hard ons. That's a problem, but it's not a problem if they don't play to offensive stereotypes which happens plenty. When it comes to trans folk every portrayal ever done plays to negative stereotyping, if it isn't outright transphobic which it usually is.

Along with that gay and lesbian actors and actresses aren't excluded from participation in Hollywood, trans folk however are and the only roles trans folk could ever qualify for to get our foots in the door are given away to cis people. That's why comparing sexuality to gender identity in this case is total apples and oranges, along with why it's a paper thin defense of industry bigotry.

Edit: With the insulting and insensitive way you've responded to me on this subject both here and in past threads, welcome to my ignore list.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
wulf3n said:
Have you seen the movie? If so fine, if not, doesn't it seem a bit premature get upset at the actors offensive performance before actually seeing if the performance is offensive?
Walked out really early in the film, luckily I didn't pay for the ticket either, friend thought this movie would interest me. Only movie I went to in 2015 too, walked out on it. But amongst my trans friends who have seen the movie, along with most of my cis friends who've seen it too, the performance was underwhelming at best, absolute garbage is the prevailing opinion. Redmayne didn't bring any emotion or conviction to the role is what we all say, as do virtually all of the critics whose review on this I've read. Including Marter's.
I apologize. I incorrectly inferred that your criticism was based on the casting alone, not the performance.

MarsAtlas said:
Is it premature to get pissed that a white guy wore shoe polish to play Martin Luther King Jr. or is there an inherent level of disrespect involved?
Yes. I don't believe there is an inherent level of disrespect in anything. Whether or not something is "respectful" should be judged on a case by case basis and take into account both the intent of the person doing the action and the interpretation of those perceiving the action. A lot of issues wouldn't actually be issues if both sides were a little more willing to understand the other side.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
In hopes to provide a different perspective from a couple of trans individuals within the film industry that have worked in The Danish Girl, I would like to present the following articles:

I recommend watching the video in this one.
http://www.advocate.com/film/2015/12/23/watch-exclusive-interview-transgender-actress-who-played-non-trans-character-danish

https://www.frontiersmedia.com/featured-stories/2015/12/29/jake-graf-is-a-self-made-man/

I am aware that these two people do not represent the trans community as a whole, but for me personally it allowed me to receive some insight from people who are both within the trans community and within the film industry.

I truly believe this film can have a positive impact on those who are trying to understand what it means to transition. This is a far cry from claiming it to be the pinnacle of trans representation in film, but I believe that with it being as much in the spotlight as it is, it is a step in the right direction.