The Darkness II Review

TheCakeisALie87

Jun 7, 2010
6 Hours and $60? Do they really expect that to sell in February? Does anyone else feel like this could be listed as downloadable DLC for 15-30 and sell much much better?

EvilestDeath

Nov 4, 2009
WMDogma said:
EvilestDeath said:
"...or using your darkness powers to bite them to death death."
Audio glitch at 1:31 weird.
Ah, that must've slipped past me during the final edit. I'll have that fixed in a jiffy, thanks for catching that!
Anytime, just be sure to deduct that out of your editors pay...if the video even has a second edit or review by someone else before release.

ScorpioT

Jul 22, 2011
This game doesn't really need to be any longer.

In the six hours it will give you more entertainment, atmosphere, gunplay, drama, and mindscrew than almost any other game you may have played in the recent year. It's just that good.

And I still keep thinking that comic book version of The Darkness is stupid and silly, so that says something when I praise the game so much for it's narrative.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
6 hours is kind of disappointing, considering I often wished the first game was a little longer, too. I've been craving the sequel for ages, so I think I'll end up waiting for the price to drop some before I get it (seeing as I need to save up money for a new console anyway, that shouldn't be a problem).

ScorpioT said:
And I still keep thinking that comic book version of The Darkness is stupid and silly, so that says something when I praise the game so much for it's narrative.
It may be because I played the game first, but I agree with this. Some time after I beat The Darkness, I went out and bought the Collector's Edition. It was somewhat entertaining, but yeah, I definitely preferred the game first. It probably didn't help that that edition had the first six volumes, then skipped all the way to 40. Ah well.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
animehermit said:
For PC guys:

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. Locked FOV at 70 makes it extremely uncomfortable to play on the PC, either wait for them to patch it into the game or just don't buy.
Played the demo and it didn't bother me at all. I was actually impressed by how smooth everything went and how well the shooting mechanics worked.

I guess it gives weaker people headaches.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
6hours is a tad short but I enjoyed the first one. I wonder if they hid secret messeges in the graffiti like they did whit the first one

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
sounds like I'll be doing the same thing I did with the first game: renting it and beating it over a weekend.

I was actually surprised at how engaged I became with the first Darkness. I understand why it isn't regarded highly by some people, and I might have felt differently if I had paid the money to buy it, but it was the perfect rental.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
I found light to be my biggest enemy. Most of the upgrades available have something to do with your darkness powers, which are almost all disabled when you're exposed to light. Most of the time, however, I can see just well enough to fire accurately at foes, so if they shine a bunch of lights at me, I can still fire a shower of bullets from my SMGs or from my carbine if they're not close enough. Light almost never kills or incapacitates you directly, but mostly just limits your combat capabilities to whatever guns you have.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
His girlfriend died in the last game! 0.0 That's a pretty massive spoiler to drop in just like that. I mean, I wouldn't mind or anything, but it didn't really seem curcial to the review to throw that out there. Just: "he's trying to lead a simple life now" would have sufficed. :(

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
As a semi-fan of the first game, I was kind of disappointed to see the transformation from a game based around sulking in the shadows and semi-stealthy action to run and gun with car door shields. It isn't *bad*, just not what I was expecting. Then again, I wasn't aware of the dev change either, so that's that.

(On a side note, is anyone else having issues with all the review videos not loading correctly? I can run every other video flawlessly, but it seems like the review vids alone never load all the way through)

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
You know, after playing games like Gears of War and Mortal Kombat, I think it's safe to say I've gotten over the gratuitous amounts of gory executions, especially with just how easy they are to pull off. Kills like that are more satisfying when you perform them more rarely or on a target that you especially don't like. It's the same thing that threw me off of Assassin's Creed (until the multiplayer came out). It's fun to give somebody a shank hug every now and again, but it loses it's charm after you've done it on every other guard in Rome.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
6 f'ing hours! REALLY!? I know AAA are more expensive to make these days but damn thats short.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
i tried the demo and it was pretty good
i looked at steam and it is about $50
well maybe i will get the game during a steam sale but not full price since i will not paying $50 for 6 hours of game play

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
So...60 bucks for 6 hours. Thats 10 bucks an hour. I could see 5ish movies at the theater and have more entertainment for a longer time period and have plenty of enough money left over to go to dinner after.

Yeah...screw that noise. Thanks for the heads up on that one. Gonna be waitin to play this till it drops to a more reasonable price.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Farther than stars said:
His girlfriend died in the last game! 0.0 That's a pretty massive spoiler to drop in just like that. I mean, I wouldn't mind or anything, but it didn't really seem curcial to the review to throw that out there. Just: "he's trying to lead a simple life now" would have sufficed. :(
I haven't actually played it myself, but from the sounds of it i'd guess that happens fairly early in the previous game if he's supposed to be getting revenge for her death and then try to live a simple life. Just a guess.

OT: As interesting as it looks i don't think i'll be getting into it any time soon. Maybe i'll do like others and get the first game(if i can track down a copy) and wait for the price to drop.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
I've been meaning to look into this game, just found myself broke with Me3 and Australian game prices. Anyway, are there any moments in the game as good as the movie scene from the first? I think thats actually been the only romance scene I've considered realistic in any game.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I hated The Darkness 1 (mainly because I couldn't get used to the controls), but I loved this demo. Controls are what the review says it is; cramped, but easy to get the hang of.

BloodRed Pixel said:
What a nerd game...
Please define "nerd game". Don't get me wrong, I'm genuinly interest of what your definition of a nerd game is, or if you just slapped some random words together to make it sound bad.