The Darkness II Review

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Why is everyone so surprised its only 6 hours? Its a modern FPS, they're all so short they might as well have not bothered.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
played the demo and it was pretty good and gory. this little devil guy sure was funny by pissing on the bodies. lol
but i will not pay 50$ for it. i wait for a special sale. shame part 1 is not available on steam. i hope there is some sort of an explanation what happened before.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Companies really need to break away from the full price model, if you haven't got the content then lower the frekin price, now we just haveto wait till it's worth it.
And that whole light/darkness thing could have been done a lot better, they could do stealth and tactics but they just made it a minor annoyance that makes you stop and deal with a specific enemy/object ... where is the strive to deliver better gameplay, stop hanging on the CoD copy maker and play on your own strengths.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Farther than stars said:
His girlfriend died in the last game! 0.0 That's a pretty massive spoiler to drop in just like that. I mean, I wouldn't mind or anything, but it didn't really seem curcial to the review to throw that out there. Just: "he's trying to lead a simple life now" would have sufficed. :(
It was spoiled in the first trailer for the game. I was pissed since, although having played the first one, it was a big twist about a third of the way through, and was a very emotional sequence.

I won't be buying this one though, as, by all reports, it's removed all the things I liked about the first one like the TVs, and the emotional story pieces. Those were the best parts.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
DeanoTheGod said:
I will still get it! As a fan of the comic, I must! :p

The only problem I had with the first one is that Jackie is more of a good guy than he is in the comics! Hes meant to be a cold blooded killer, given a power that he doesn't want, that gives him unimaginable powers, and then he fights angels, mobs and what were his protecters! There's a great story where he creates a living sex doll out of the darkness, so that he can have sex again (the Darkness means that if he pregnates a human he instantly dies, and the darkness passes to the next child) but he accidentally pregnates his own creation (not human). The rest is just awesome, and you will have to check it out! :p (Its The Darkness Accursed Vol 1)
Yeah I wish they didn't change the character from the comics to me Jackie's should be a terrible person we only root for because his enemies are worse than him.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
JohnDoey said:
DeanoTheGod said:
I will still get it! As a fan of the comic, I must! :p

The only problem I had with the first one is that Jackie is more of a good guy than he is in the comics! Hes meant to be a cold blooded killer, given a power that he doesn't want, that gives him unimaginable powers, and then he fights angels, mobs and what were his protecters! There's a great story where he creates a living sex doll out of the darkness, so that he can have sex again (the Darkness means that if he pregnates a human he instantly dies, and the darkness passes to the next child) but he accidentally pregnates his own creation (not human). The rest is just awesome, and you will have to check it out! :p (Its The Darkness Accursed Vol 1)
Yeah I wish they didn't change the character from the comics to me Jackie's should be a terrible person we only root for because his enemies are worse than him.
But all FPS heros are like that these days. Especially Duke nukem and similar. Its good to see a FPS hero, or someone using the uber evil power do his best to be as good/antiheroic as possible

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Zaul2010 said:
Why is everyone so surprised its only 6 hours? Its a modern FPS, they're all so short they might as well have not bothered.
Most modern fps titles have the single player as more of a diversion than anythin. CoD and Battlefield both have short ass single player modes, but the real draw is the multiplayer. A game like the Darkness where pretty much the only draw is the single player its criminal to have the game be the same length as a CoD game.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Still don't quite understand why people are so pissed about the ending, I thought it was a really well-done cliffhanger that tied into the comic mythos very nicely. Which I suspected from the relic found in the game's demo.

Patton's voice work, as usual, was absolutely phenomenal. My only wish is that they obtain Kirk Acevedo to reprise his role as Jackie in the third installment.

Also: Johnny Powell. Great character. Seriously, I love this guy, more Johnny.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
I won't be buying this one though, as, by all reports, it's removed all the things I liked about the first one like the TVs, and the emotional story pieces. Those were the best parts.
The story still contains the hard hitting emotional drive from the first one, although it's signifigantly amplified if you have played the first one. And even if you haven't, they still do a great job of making Jenny a likable character through the flashback sequences - which are also handled very well.

You might shed some manly tears.

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
for every dual-weilding game, I always bind left and right mouse buttons to respective hands.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
A little confused by the final score. Completely positive review except for the game being too short, leaving him wanting more, and a disappointing ending: 3.5/5 stars. ...wait, what?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I liked it, loved the first one (can't stand replaying it now though, the walking speed is a gamebreaker)

The asylum stuff was cool (though painfully obvious) and the ending was pretty good even if a certain character is really damn late making an entrance when compared to the comic

Another thing with the comic, I really missed Jackie's tentacle friends, i mean he's got tentacles sure but there's an infinite amount of them. Left and Right were so much cooler.

And the Darkling is so stupidly awesome, I decided to name him "The Bro"

I was genuinely upset when he died for real... Fucking bless you Bro wherever you are now

And I have enough games to be getting on with that the short length is more of a blessing. I expect a Darkness 3 though

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
A sequel hook? Oh, great. Franchise, ahoy!

At the very least, though, I honestly thought that the use of the Darkness as both a new element to gunplay and as a weakness to show Jackie's slow decline of his humanity and his transformation into more of a conduit of the darkness as a nice innovation in the franchise. While I don't exactly have high hopes of this maintaining some kind of fluidity and sleekness if they decide to drag out this thing as long as possible, I don't necessarily think a third game could be all that bad unless they try to have it out as soon as possible.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
I really want to see Yahtzee reviewing this, because the first Darkness game was the first thing he ever review on ZP style, before he was even hired by the Escapist. And the imps from the ZP videos were originally referencing the imps from this game, so it would be fun to see him doing something to reference that in the review.